Memories of Shaw Savill late 50s early 60s? - Ships Nostalgia
22:00

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Memories of Shaw Savill late 50s early 60s?

User Tag List

Old 5th November 2007, 10:49

Memories of Shaw Savill late 50s early 60s?

My name is Peter Atkins and after three years at HMS Conway I joined Shaw Savill's Coptic for my first trip. I subsequently sailed on the Canopic, Wairangi and the ill fated Runic which I was on when she went aground on Middleton Reef.

I failed the Board of Trade eye sight test when going for my second mates and eventually went into journalism. I am now retired and live in Staffordshire.

Does anyone know of any photographs of these ships? I remember a girl photographer used to come on board in Sydney having taken photos of various ships under the Harbour Bridge. In those days photos of the ship were the last thing on my mind!!

Peter Atkins
Old 5th November 2007, 11:10

My location
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Peter.
If you search the gallery for any of the names you may find a few.
Here's the Coptic search.
Find your way around and enjoy the trip.
Old 5th November 2007, 11:11
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage
Old 5th November 2007, 12:40

My location
Welcome aboard Peter

If you email me I will give you the name and address of some one who served me well to obtain all my pics. I was the same as you never thought about this sort of thing until it was too late.

Regards Ron
Old 5th November 2007, 20:43

Welcome Peter, Have a great trip ( not over the side) on the site, good crew they will keep you right, Rgds Bill Atkins
Old 5th November 2007, 21:16

My location
Welcome from the North of England.

I hope you enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian
Old 6th November 2007, 13:12

Peter, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
As usual, our members are rallying around with answers: it's simply that kind of a forum.

Bruce
Old 7th November 2007, 19:48

Welcome to Ships Nostalgia and greetings from Londonderry,
Cheers,
Fred.
Old 7th November 2007, 21:35
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Engineering

My location
Welcome to the site Peter. I am sure that once you find your way around you will find plenty on Shaw Savill.
Old 8th November 2007, 23:45

memories of shaw saville

I joined the Taranaki in london in 1962,bound for Aussie and New Zealand.I had an accident outbound and left the ship in Sydney for a year in hospital due to contracting a bone disease.I returned aboard the Icenic in 1963,the coldest winter of the century.Genoa was under snow when we got there.On arrival in UK I went into Battle Hospital in Reading for a spell.When I went back to the pool,the doctors would not let me sail deep sea any more,so I sailed on colliers and Everards,until emigrating to new Zealand to ship out with Union company.Bert Bloggs.(Frank Earl.)
Old 10th November 2007, 07:53

Welcome to the site Peter, from Mission Beach Ussie,sailed past her many,many times while with ussco,but never thought of taking a shot,she looked funny though with that great hole right through her,have been retired since 87 so dont know if she is still there.I heard that the "Yankee" in Rarotonga has gone,but someone on the site will know.
Old 11th November 2007, 12:30

Peter, Hope this might be some help There is a company in Sydney which used to visit and photograph ships arriving in Sydney I think it is still in existance or it was until recently. The company is Marine Photography. P.O.Box, 59. Epping . New South Wales.2121. Australia. Phone /fax: +61-2-9876-1874. Most of the negatives which Marine Photography have from the 50s and 60s are in black and white and a 5"x 7" photo cost $8 a couple of years ago. Good Luck. Jim.
Old 13th November 2007, 04:54
Department: Purser
Active: 1967 - 1973

Post Shaw Savill Line

Hi Peter

There is excellent website with all Shaw Savill ships - so I am sure your ships will be found there -: www.shawsavillships.co.uk

Are you aware of the Shaw Savill Society which exists in both UK and New Zealand - if you are not already a member and interested in joining please contact me and I put you in touch.

2008 is the 150th Anniversary of the Shaw Savill Line and there will be special celebrations in both UK and in NZ. In New Zealand the celebration will be held in October in Wellington, where a special plaque will be unveiled on the waterfront to commemorate this special event.

Please contact me if you need any information on the Society.

Jamie Shedden
Shaw Savill Society
New Zealand Branch
Old 13th November 2007, 21:49

hello
Old 25th November 2007, 14:11

i was on the coptic november 63 tillmay 64 coussins was captain right old rust bucket but a great trip clancy
Old 25th May 2015, 19:02
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1976 - 2000

My father John Isle was with Shaw Savill and was on the Canopic. Did you know him?

Regards, Martin.
Old 25th May 2015, 20:24
Active: 1959 - 1969

if you have access to his discharge book, the dates he was on the Canopic would help you, also which department he worked in.
Good Luck Martin. This link may still be available. www.shawsavilleships.co.uk

Last edited by canadian; 25th May 2015 at 20:31..
Old 12th August 2017, 19:35

Taranaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Atkins View Post
My name is Peter Atkins and after three years at HMS Conway I joined Shaw Savill's Coptic for my first trip. I subsequently sailed on the Canopic, Wairangi and the ill fated Runic which I was on when she went aground on Middleton Reef.

I failed the Board of Trade eye sight test when going for my second mates and eventually went into journalism. I am now retired and live in Staffordshire.

Does anyone know of any photographs of these ships? I remember a girl photographer used to come on board in Sydney having taken photos of various ships under the Harbour Bridge. In those days photos of the ship were the last thing on my mind!!

Peter Atkins
I have a couple of the Taranaki
Old 13th August 2017, 07:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Atkins View Post

Peter Atkins
Question. Do your remember outward bound a passenger Charles Freeman Hull to Auzz, and later returned Auzz Sydney Hull, on any Shaw Saville and albion Boat. He would then have been in his 80's (52/53) visiting his daughter in Auzz, Charles Freeman was an old time Captain and sailed in the 30's on Shaw Saville and Albion Boats as he was a white star liner man[on the RMS Britannic -captain- in 1938?] Outward bound[late 52 or 3] the ship was the waigarai homeward bound i am unsure in 53/54. Any ideas. I am trying to track the ship so i can obtain a passenger list from the bot records.
Old 13th August 2017, 10:20
Active: 1959 - 1969

Peter I have placed a pic of Canopic In the Gallery. Regards.