Arco Arun - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
23:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Arco Arun

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26  
Old 5th September 2009, 00:25
Gorhol Gorhol is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 69
Current name for the vessel is 'ACHUS-1'. It would be interesting to know the reason for her visit to the UK.

Regards
Gor
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10th September 2009, 18:44
Stevie B Stevie B is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 136
It wasn't the old Arco Severn, it was the old Arco Thames now call the Thames and working around the South and East coasts
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11th September 2009, 05:32
Abbeywood. Abbeywood. is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
It wasn't the old Arco Severn, it was the old Arco Thames now call the Thames and working around the South and East coasts
Sorry, but I think you are wrong.
The Arco Thames suffered a massive engine failure in 2002 (?) and was sold.
Unless someone,(persons), had an excessive amount of money to burn, I think it highly unlikely that, considering her age, the ship would have been re-engined, at great expense, apart from having to bring all other systems up to date with modern standards. I am led to believe that she was broken-up.
I stand by my claim. It was the Arco Severn.(now Achus-1)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11th September 2009, 10:53
Stevie B Stevie B is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeywood. View Post
Sorry, but I think you are wrong.
The Arco Thames suffered a massive engine failure in 2002 (?) and was sold.
Unless someone,(persons), had an excessive amount of money to burn, I think it highly unlikely that, considering her age, the ship would have been re-engined, at great expense, apart from having to bring all other systems up to date with modern standards. I am led to believe that she was broken-up.
I stand by my claim. It was the Arco Severn.(now Achus-1)

Sorry you are wrong, the old Arco Thames is back working in the UK as the Thames. You are right about the engine, it was the crank that went. She went to Portugul as the Pelicano and was bought in 2007 by a company on the South Coast, the engine had gone again, crank once more, that was replaced, she was refitted, bought up to class, and has been working since July last year. She has been to Hythe 3 times because there is an engineering company there that did work/repairs on her.

How do I know all this ??, because I am the Master of the ship.

Look on shipspotting.com, search Arco Thames and you will find loads of photo's of her running up the River Thames and Harwich.

The Achus 1 went to Saudi and as not been back to the UK since.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 13th September 2009, 06:02
Abbeywood. Abbeywood. is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
Sorry you are wrong, the old Arco Thames is back working in the UK as the Thames. You are right about the engine, it was the crank that went. She went to Portugul as the Pelicano and was bought in 2007 by a company on the South Coast, the engine had gone again, crank once more, that was replaced, she was refitted, bought up to class, and has been working since July last year. She has been to Hythe 3 times because there is an engineering company there that did work/repairs on her.

How do I know all this ??, because I am the Master of the ship.

Look on shipspotting.com, search Arco Thames and you will find loads of photo's of her running up the River Thames and Harwich.

The Achus 1 went to Saudi and as not been back to the UK since.
Stevie B, I must therefore bow to superior knowledge. Please accept my apologies. But I would add that I was sure the ship I saw had only one cargo
chute gantry whereas the Thames had, and probably still has, two.
Apart from that, the general outline of the two ships were very similar.
Thanks for the further info. Happy dredging.

Last edited by Abbeywood.; 13th September 2009 at 06:03.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 13th September 2009, 16:51
Stevie B Stevie B is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeywood. View Post
Stevie B, I must therefore bow to superior knowledge. Please accept my apologies. But I would add that I was sure the ship I saw had only one cargo
chute gantry whereas the Thames had, and probably still has, two.
Apart from that, the general outline of the two ships were very similar.
Thanks for the further info. Happy dredging.
Thats ok, the Thames does if fact have the 3 goalposts has we call them, I do remember one time at Hythe that we had work done on the chute and the welders had blue plastic sheets up on the chute to protect them from rain, so that may well of hidden the goalposts a bit ?

Apart from the goalposts and the accomodation being one deck less and of course the Severn being shorter they , as you say were very similar.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 26th October 2009, 13:17
tabnab44's Avatar
tabnab44 tabnab44 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 208
Arco 's

Well as far as I'm concerned the Arco Severn was a far better looking ship than the Arco Thames ... and a better looking crew! ..On a sliding scale of 0 to 10 I would rate the Thames as a piddly 4 and the Severn as a handsome 10 .. Stevie B are you an ex arco man?
__________________
Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 26th October 2009, 13:31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by david smith View Post
The modern Arco Arun departing Ipswich 27/04/05
Here in Newhaven our regular visitor is the Arco Dee.Does she bring aggregate up from Southampton?
regards manolito
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 26th October 2009, 15:59
Stevie B Stevie B is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabnab44 View Post
Well as far as I'm concerned the Arco Severn was a far better looking ship than the Arco Thames ... and a better looking crew! ..On a sliding scale of 0 to 10 I would rate the Thames as a piddly 4 and the Severn as a handsome 10 .. Stevie B are you an ex arco man?
The Severn better looking ??, Never !!.

Yes, ex- Arco, was on the Yar, Test, Trent, Scheldt, Severn, Thames, Tyne, Avon and Arun, left before the Axe and Adur came out
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 26th October 2009, 16:31
ROBERT HENDERSON ROBERT HENDERSON is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,676
Do any of you Arco men remember a master by the name of Charles Locke, an ex Everards Master.

Regards Robert
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 26th October 2009, 17:04
Jacktar1 Jacktar1 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 350
Smile Arco Thames

Stevie B......see that you were on the 'Arco Thames", I was on the 'Amey 1', believe she was later renamed 'Arco Thames', was it the same one ?
Cheers.....Glan
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 26th October 2009, 18:33
Stevie B Stevie B is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktar1 View Post
Stevie B......see that you were on the 'Arco Thames", I was on the 'Amey 1', believe she was later renamed 'Arco Thames', was it the same one ?
Cheers.....Glan
The Amey 1 was the Arco Test or Trent, the Amey 3 became the Arco Scheldt.
The Arco Thames was named that from launch, she is now about on the South Coast called the Thames, I work on her now.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 26th October 2009, 18:34
Stevie B Stevie B is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT HENDERSON View Post
Do any of you Arco men remember a master by the name of Charles Locke, an ex Everards Master.

Regards Robert
I sailed with Charlie on the Arco Tyne, he was a right so and so !!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 26th October 2009, 19:18
KEITH SEVILLE KEITH SEVILLE is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1964 - 2001
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,043
Abbeywood

Arco Severn is now called Achus 1 under Honduras Flag.
Ship Managers and Owners are Al Namal Group, Manama, Bahrain.
This according to Equasis.

Regards
Keith
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 26th October 2009, 21:14
Steve Woodward Steve Woodward is offline  
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
My location
Posts: 1
Quite a popular ship there are a number of images of her on SN HERE
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 28th October 2009, 03:04
Jacktar1 Jacktar1 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 350
Anyone sail with a master named Bob Lake ?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 28th October 2009, 11:38
Stevie B Stevie B is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktar1 View Post
Anyone sail with a master named Bob Lake ?
Yes I sailed with Bob on the Arco Trent, very nice man, got on well with him.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 28th October 2009, 12:21
granty granty is online now  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 725
good morning stevi B
is that all you got to do play with your computer all day
while your ship is getting busier & busier
granty
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 28th October 2009, 12:25
Stevie B Stevie B is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by granty View Post
good morning stevi B
is that all you got to do play with your computer all day
while your ship is getting busier & busier
granty
Is that so ?, don't look like you got much else to do either !!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 28th October 2009, 12:45
awateah2's Avatar
awateah2 awateah2 is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1961 - 1982
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
My location
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
Yes I sailed with Bob on the Arco Trent, very nice man, got on well with him.
Sailed with Bob as Mate in 'Pen Avon' & 'Pen Adur' late 60's. I believe he lived in Brighton.Is he still around ? Regards
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 28th October 2009, 12:57
Stevie B Stevie B is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by awateah2 View Post
Sailed with Bob as Mate in 'Pen Avon' & 'Pen Adur' late 60's. I believe he lived in Brighton.Is he still around ? Regards
Dont know for sure, but think he died a few years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 7th November 2009, 15:46
tabnab44's Avatar
tabnab44 tabnab44 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 208
The "MAGNIFICENT SEVERN" as she was fondly known ..she's a legend !
__________________
Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 7th November 2009, 19:18
sandman sandman is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: RNLI
Department: Deck
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
My location
Posts: 729
stevie has the thames still got the dart board in the crew's mess??
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 8th November 2009, 09:50
Stevie B Stevie B is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
stevie has the thames still got the dart board in the crew's mess??
No, long since gone, wasn't onboard when we got on the ship in Spain.

Although it has been mentioned about getting one.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10th November 2009, 05:24
Abbeywood. Abbeywood. is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 211
The Magnificent Severn, +2

With only nine crew, ' No job to big, none too small'
The impossible we achieved, miracles took a little longer, unlike the playboys in the bigger ships.
I did a supernumery 'fill-in' on the 'Thames' for her tour of Southampton Docks after the first engine explosion. No 6 con-rod hanging out of what remained of the crankcase doorway. Very decorative.

Nice to see your posting, Sandman. and for what its worth, the dart-board was still there during the shift to Burnley Wharf.
I hesitate to suggest the obvious.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off




Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.