Arco Arun - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
04:21

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Arco Arun

User Tag List

Old 10th November 2009, 06:19

My location
Smile arco

Was Arco's offices in Manningtree Essex?
I was on the Pen Avon the captians name was Clive this would be around 1972,
and they had a ship called the Pen Stord also, don't remeber any of the crew from that ship, but was on the Pen Avon as a DHU. Jack Parkinson from Hull was cook and his brother Stan was the mate for a little while.

all the best
Hughesy
Old 11th November 2009, 08:48
Department: Engineering

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
Tom was the super for the arco severn/tyne/thames,he retired some years ago now,I was in wallsend drydock with the arco severn,we were having our tank tops replaced in the forward pump room and some double bottoms replaced,tom was super then.
I'm desperately trying to think what Tommy's second name was. We knew him as Two Bob Tommy due to his reluctance to pay for anything on his ships

I also remember a Superintendent Engineer called Mike Smith who died some years ago, he could be a firebrand when things weren't going well but he was a good engineer and I always found him a decent bloke.
Old 11th November 2009, 11:37

To Keith Seville; greetings and many belated thanks for your info' on the 'Severn, I searched for her via AIS Persian Gulf site but didn't spot her among the myriads of tankers.
Have a photo' of her entering Grand Harbour, Malta but not quite able to read the port of registry. Studying a map of Honduras, a likely candidate could be San Lorenzo, on the west coast. The number of letters seem to fit.

To JKB, greetings also, I remember the Super' on the Severn at Wallsend, i.e.Tom, but likewise, his surname won't come to mind, but I'll work on it. Bet someone else arrives at it before hand tho'
The BV Surveyor, at Wallsend, was also and ex-ARC man and had sailed on the Severn in the early 90's. Again, I can't recall his name.

Last edited by Abbeywood.; 11th November 2009 at 11:43.. Reason: Extra info'
Old 11th November 2009, 12:03

To Keith Seville: greetings and a belated thanks for your info on the Arco Severn. A colleague sent me a pic' of the ship entering the Grand Harbour at Malta, en route to the Middle East. However I am unable to read the Port of Registry but your info' led me to study a map of Honduras and a possibility could be San Lorenzo, on the Pacific coast. The number of letters seems about right. Again many thanks.

To JKB, greeting; also; I too remember Tom, the Super' you're thinking of, and likewise, his surname escapes me, but I'll work at it. Maybe A.N.Other will beatb us both to it.
At that time, the BV Surveyor on the ship, was an ex-ARC man, and had sailed in the ship in the early 90's.
Tom was a bit surprised that I was on such good terms with the surveyor. but it did'nt cut any ice tho.
Old 19th January 2010, 09:54

Achus 1, (ex-Arco Severn)

Does anybody know the whereabouts of the Achus 1, the former Hanson dredger 'Arco Severn', sold out of their fleet in 2002.
The last info' to hand, is that she was under the ownership of a Bahraini company although she is apparently registered under the Honduras flag, as of 2008. with San Lorenzo as her port of registry.
I have attempted to find her thru' the AIS network, to no avail, which leads me to ponder the possibility that she may have been re-named, or been otherwise disposed ofl.
Old 22nd January 2010, 14:49
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1964 - 2001

Abbeywood

I have been checking Equasis and their records updated 11th December 2009 still show Achus 1 Owned by Al Namal Group, PO Box 1713, Manama, Bahrain under the Honduras Flag.
So I can only assume by that she is still in service.

Regards
Keith
Old 22nd January 2010, 17:50

Arco Beck is at A&P on the Tees at the moment

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 17th February 2010, 20:45

Arco Arun in dock tees passed her today 17 2 10
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:44

Arco Beck just been pulled out no. 2 dry dock [tees ] today where she.s been layed up a few months. Dont know if they getting her operational again now lying outside on wharf
Old 12th May 2010, 21:08

hi, couldnt say which arco vessel it was but one of them that was broken up had a slice of the stern end, through the accomodation and engine room, used as a work of art somewhere in london on the thames, dont know if it is still there now but thought it was a good idea for art and far more attractive than half the stuff in the tate modern.

ben
Old 12th May 2010, 23:06

Re.Arco Arun

Not really an Arco Arun matter but the question was under that heading.:-The 'Work of Art on the Thames' was by the Millenium Dome site, and was I believe, a section of the Arco Trent of Sizewell fame!
There is a photo of it in this state on one of the internet shipping photo sites.
I will run a check tomorrow to ascertain it was'nt from the Test.
Old 12th May 2010, 23:36

re.Arco Arun (contd.)

To save you the suspense of waiting until tomorrow;- I have just done a swift check on 'ships nostalgia' pages, and confirm the photo. is of a section from the Arco Trent. This was some years back, moored off Sizewell for considerable periods during its building & pumping ballast ashore into a lagoon.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneleigh View Post
To save you the suspense of waiting until tomorrow;- I have just done a swift check on 'ships nostalgia' pages, and confirm the photo. is of a section from the Arco Trent. This was some years back, moored off Sizewell for considerable periods during its building & pumping ballast ashore into a lagoon.
Ah, the Sizewell job, I was on the Trent for that, oh what fun, either stuck on the buoys for 2 weeks then crew change in a RIB and run up on the beach or at anchor in Harwich for 2 weeks because it was to windy, oh what fun we had !!!!!
Old 13th May 2010, 15:11

Here's a couple of pictures of what's left of the Arco Trent, taken a couple of years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Various 010.JPG (333.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Various 011.JPG (313.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 23rd May 2010, 05:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwben View Post
hi, couldnt say which arco vessel it was but one of them that was broken up had a slice of the stern end, through the accomodation and engine room, used as a work of art somewhere in london on the thames, dont know if it is still there now but thought it was a good idea for art and far more attractive than half the stuff in the tate modern.

ben
The ship I think you're on about is the stern section of the 'Arco Trent' which was positioned beside the Millenium Dome. God only knows what for.! as by any stretch of the imagination 'Art it is not'.
Dont know if it is still there.
Old 9th August 2012, 14:13

January 2010.

Have been checking the various sources and links but so far, have not been able to find any mention of the Arco SevernAchus 1in any shape or form in the Arabian Gulf area.
As the ship will have now entered its fiftieth year I fear that the Grim Reaper with a gas-axe has had his wicked way.
Unless you know different of course
Old 12th August 2012, 14:23

Fiftieth year? built 1974.

According to the info here, she is still alive & well

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/...php?lid=115680

Regards

Bob
Old 13th August 2012, 11:37

Arco Severn/Achus 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
Fiftieth year? built 1974.

According to the info here, she is still alive & well

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/...php?lid=115680

Regards

Bob
OK Bob,
My mistake (Seems as though I have'nt got enough fingers), so let's amend that to fortieth, (or there abouts). after all, I only spent 21 years in her, but thanks for the added info'.
I will try and do better.
A'wood.
Old 28th April 2013, 21:38
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - Present

Hi All
was the marine super Tom Stewart and the BV Surveyor Dave Reed/Reid
if so they were both Ex Civil & Marine men.

Last edited by Steve Hurley; 28th April 2013 at 21:44..
Old 10th April 2014, 12:15

Arco Severn / Achus-1.
After many months of searching, and thanks to 'Tabnab44', I am now aware that the 'Severn' is alive and well and still operational, in the Persian Gulf, under the name 'Achus-1'.
She has appeared on the AIS system web-site and was anchored off the port of Hidd, near to Bahraini capital Al-Manamah, this very morning before heaving up shortly after midnight and heading out to the dredging grounds.
From a previous posting I have used all my fingers and it seems that she is now 41 years old, or thereabouts, and has oulived all her contempories.
She apparently now operates as a pump-ashore discharger.
On the AIS site I also noted that the ex-RMC ship 'Sand Weaver' is working in the same area, under Bahraini ownership.
Regards to all
Pete'

Last edited by Abbeywood.; 10th April 2014 at 12:18..
Old 10th April 2014, 13:42
Bilge Rat
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
From what I heard this evening Arco boats are not doing so well.
Arco Dart is running ok. The rest are broken down. Ones thrown a piston through the crankcase
Old 29th February 2016, 23:40
Active: 1988 - 2013

I worked for ARC in the early 90's. I worked on the Humber when she was in Middlesbrough laid up for about 2 weeks doing maintenance in the engine room. On the Tyne in Southampton when it was getting a full engine refit. Remember there was someone from the engine makers on board who took bad and had to go to hospital. And worked on the Axe, nice ship to work on but with having forward accommodation very noisy in bad weather.