The Future Of Cruise ships? - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

The Future Of Cruise ships?

User Tag List

Old 1st June 2018, 15:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 1998

Ten years ago when the world suffered its financial crash, I predicted the passenger ship industry would be a major casualty. I assumed many cruise ship operators would have massive @[email protected] and such companies would be early losers. I assumed many people would see their savings evaporate and would no longer be able to afford a luxury cruise resulting in the ships being forced to lay-up. I assumed all new building would quickly stop.
So what happened and how did my predictions pan out? Cruise ships are evermore popular and fleets have expanded, new bigger ships are being built all the time, passenger numbers increased instead of the opposite! The last thing people give up is their annual holiday.
Financial crash? What crash? I guess I got my assumptions totally wrong.
P.S. For a few quid I'll give you my prediction for next years Grand National. Any takers?

Cheers
Old 1st June 2018, 18:30
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
I have completed a few cruises on the rivers of Europe, they are excellent, Now doing the rivers of the USA on American Cruise Line, they have some fine little ships and the staterooms are very large, free happy hour plus the food is 1st class. I am on my 8th cruise with them and number 11 is free which will be Alaska's Inside Passage.
Old 1st June 2018, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobharrison2002 View Post
The cruise lines get it in the neck for outbreaks of norovirus but very few of the crew ever are affected - probably 98% of the sick are pax.

Rarely do you even see crew being sick. They follow the rules! It is careless passengers that catch nasty stuff.
Old 1st June 2018, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
number 11 is free which will be Alaska's Inside Passage.
I have bad news for you. The FREE cruise comes with an INSIDE cabin. Enjoy the view!
Old 1st June 2018, 19:58

My location
Not so Stephen, the ship has no inside cabins, I have already sailed on her sister ship on her maiden voyage last July. Check out the deck plan and state rooms. Link below.

https://www.americancruiselines.com/...n-constitution

Last edited by John Rogers; 1st June 2018 at 20:12..
Old 1st June 2018, 21:11

Quote:
Not so Stephen, the ship has no inside cabins, I have already sailed on her sister ship on her maiden voyage last July. Check out the deck plan and state rooms. Link below.

https://www.americancruiselines.com/...n-constitution
I just did. NICE! Perfect for coasting and I would definitely like to make a run up the Mississippi.

If you go on one of these ships, you would never sail in another NCL or RCI or anything big again!

I like the Make 10, get one free. Perfect marketing.

Stephen
Old 1st June 2018, 21:35

My location
Stephen! I did the upper portion St. Louis to St Paul on the Queen of the Mississippi,she was on her 2d trip,nice cruise. Did the New Orleans and return also I didn’t like it as well, water was muddy,lots of rain and a very busy waterway. The best cruise I have so far is the Columbia and Snake river, I rate that one very highly.
Old 1st June 2018, 22:14

Are any of these ships doing the St Lawrence Seaway and up to the Lakes? That would be a perfect cruise. I did two trips from sea up to the Lakes. Mind, making the run as 2nd Mate would get a better view than most passengers would get.

Well, you will enjoy the Alaska run too!

I'm not doing anything until next February. 54 days Southampton all way down and around S. Africa as far as Mapauto and back. Small ship too, just 500.

Stephen
Old 1st June 2018, 22:19
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1981

My location
Quote:
I have completed a few cruises on the rivers of Europe, they are excellent, Now doing the rivers of the USA on American Cruise Line, they have some fine little ships and the staterooms are very large, free happy hour plus the food is 1st class. I am on my 8th cruise with them and number 11 is free which will be Alaska's Inside Passage.
I wouldn't want to do the bit between Port Hardy and the Queen Charlottes in those small coastal cruise ships - it can get very interesting when there's a bit of a blow.
Old 1st June 2018, 22:27

My location
Yes they do the lakes,the St Lawrence and Saguenay, I even done Cuba last November. I have gotten to know many of the crew member and it sure helps getting the goodies and drinks all free. I have done three trips to Alaska on HA however the inside passage on the smaller ship will make it nice.
I also lived in Alaska for three years as a guest with the Army 1961 thru 1964.
I don’t think I will ever go back to cruising the big ships, I am on my 34th cruise,if and when I need a wheel chair that’s when I give it up.
Old 21st June 2018, 23:01
Active: 1973 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartskipper View Post
Regarding the general standards of hygiene among members of the public at large, the next time you use the conveniences in your local supermarket/pub/restaurant (or even hospital), just see how many users walk straight out again without washing their hands. The most contaminated surfaces are the door handles.
Ah, you have noticed that also. The other one is how many doors open inwards from the main toilet block. So you wash your hands but have to open the door, no paper towels, just those unhealthy hand dryers and put your hands on somebodies fresh germs.
In the motorway service areas they don't have doors except to outside of the building, some are electric, some aren't.
Old 22nd June 2018, 00:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternchallis View Post
Ah, you have noticed that also. The other one is how many doors open inwards from the main toilet block. So you wash your hands but have to open the door, no paper towels, just those unhealthy hand dryers and put your hands on somebodies fresh germs.

The Saga ship have special handles on the public WC doors. They do indeed open inwards but the handle gives a special gentle spray or something that makes certain that your hands remain sanitized when you are 'finished'. I prefer to use foot! ;-)