unidetified dredger at solent refit - Ships Nostalgia
22:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

unidetified dredger at solent refit

User Tag List

Old 16th May 2017, 22:25

unidetified dredger at solent refit

hi does anyone know the identity of the dredger on the slip at solent refit at all? I saw her up there from the red jet today and there looked to be another excavator on a barge moored next to the slip, again identity unknown. its just curiosity that makes me wonder

regards
ben
Old 17th May 2017, 10:47

Hi Ben
On Friday of last week (12th May) there were two ships on the slipway. The one on the right was the Shearwater and the one on the left with the blue hull was the Forth Sentinal. Whether either of these are the ships you are referring to I do not know. I photographed them from the deck of a Red Funnel car ferry. Hope this helps.
Regards
John
Old 17th May 2017, 12:29

Dredgers

I have been trying to find any records of the Suction Dredger "Tilburian"
My father "Francis Bernard Cocker" took her to Arromanche to dredge in and around the Mulberry Harbour and to ballast the block ships shortly after D Day. He also went to Walcheren Island after to repair the holes in the dyke after they had been breached to submerge the German fortifications (and the occupants) to clear the river entrance.
Any help about?
As a matter of interest it was built in 1929 and had lowering spuds on each corner, the type of fitting that Churchill claimed had been invented
for the pier ends for the Mulberry harbours!
Cliff Cocker
Old 17th May 2017, 13:13

SHEARWATER was on the pontoon the other day (6th May), has her name been shortened to SHEARWA?

Regards

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHEARWA (1000x666).jpg (433.4 KB, 79 views)
Old 17th May 2017, 14:32

Bob S
On the photograph I took which was a view of her stern on the slipway, she is clearly named Shearwater. Perhaps they haven't got round to either adding the TER to her bow or removing these letters from her stern. Time will tell.
Regards
John
Old 17th May 2017, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Leary View Post
Bob S
On the photograph I took which was a view of her stern on the slipway, she is clearly named Shearwater. Perhaps they haven't got round to either adding the TER to her bow or removing these letters from her stern. Time will tell.
Regards
John
The Shearwater before being sold a few year back,belonged to Moray Council here in the NE Scotland. They deemed her unfit for further service and she was sold to new owners in Inverkeithing(I think) and hasn,t stopped working since. So much for being unfit for service.Her replacement built brand new in Buckie ,so far,seems like a white elephant.
Old 18th May 2017, 08:03
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - 1989

My location
Hi for details of 'Shearwater' follow link
https://www.dredgepoint.org/dredging...t/shearwater-0
according to Equasis she was sold to unknown interests in Oct 2013.
Degzie
Old 20th May 2017, 13:05

thanks folks, it was shearwater I was most curious about, I initially thought it might have been her but the last time I saw her was when she had a grab crane instead of the cat excavator. the other dredger I was curious abut was the small barge one that is shown alongside her in the picture of them alongside the pontoon, I have since learnt this was built by solent refit for their own usage to keep the slips dredged clear.

regards
ben
Old 25th May 2017, 00:06

Hi folks, I work on Shearwater . We are down from Scotland for slipping and maintenance. The barge alongside us in the photo is infact the Saltwick - ex Whitby Harbour, we towed it down for a company based in the Solent . Behind our vessel you can just make out the 'Solent Hopper' which is the resident hopper vessel , it works alongside a small spudlegbarge with excavator not in the picture. The 'Solent Hopper ' is approx 200 gt and was salvaged from a beach in Devon where it stood for many years . A fine looking vessel and makes normally a daily journey of 8 hours to the spoilground which is located off Bembridge, Isle of Wight.
Old 15th June 2017, 13:44
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 2004 - Present

oh yeah the new vessel she only has the bucket and no suction pipe like shearwater had or still has, i bet the new vessel dont get used much.
Selkie is the name of the new Moray council dredger.
Old 16th June 2017, 10:58

The Dredging scheme used to be, Suction Dredger for the main channel, Ladder Bucket Dredger fanning out from the main channel to within around 10 ft of the Jetty and then Priestman Grab for clearing to the required depth at the Jetty.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 24th July 2017, 04:50

shearwater how is the work at solent refit going? she seems to have been there a while, is it a total sandblast and repaint?