Ben Ledi - Ships Nostalgia
10:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ben Ledi

User Tag List

Old 24th June 2005, 06:09

My location
Ben Ledi

I have been asked by an old soldier if I could find a picture of the ship on which he was evacuated from North Africa in 1942, I have managed to find the following information for him but no picture.

s s BENLEDI built by Charles Connell & Company Scotstoun,Yard No 419 Engines by D Rowan & Co Ltd, Glasgow Propulsion: Quadruple expansion, 4 cyl, 3000 ihp, 12.5 knots Launched: Sunday, 09 March 1930 Built: 1930 Ship Type: Passenger Cargo ShipTonnage: 5943 gross; 3755 netLength: 429ftBreadth: 54ftOwner History:Ben Line, LeithStatus: Scrapped - 1950Remarks: 6.1930: Completed. 24.2.1950: Fire broke out in stokehold when in position 35.37N, 17.11E, 130 miles E of Malta. Abandoned. Later towed to Malta where she arrived 3.3.1950 and was declared a total loss. 12.9.1950: Arrived in tow at Spezia to be broken up by Cantieri Navali "Santa Maria".

He would be very grateful if anyone can help
Old 24th June 2005, 10:13

My location
You are a legend Zelda and have made the old digger a very happy man
Old 20th January 2009, 09:54

SS Benledi

Hi

I hope this gets to you. I recently acquired an old photo album of my dad's (now deceased). In it are pictures from his time in National Service but also some large photos of the SS Benledi (4) (on fire) on which he sailed whilst in the Merchant Navy. The photos are taken from the rescue ship and these are very good. There is also a photo of many men in a lifeboat. Also one, of my father and other shipmates but whether or not this photo relates to his time on the SS Benledi or not, I'm not really sure. I found this all so interesting I 'googled' the ships name and found much on the ship including your request from away back. I only wish I had asked him more about it all when he was alive.

Karen
Old 20th January 2009, 12:35
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings KarenS and a warm welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.
Old 27th February 2009, 20:32
Willie

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderd View Post
I have been asked by an old soldier if I could find a picture of the ship on which he was evacuated from North Africa in 1942, I have managed to find the following information for him but no picture.

s s BENLEDI built by Charles Connell & Company Scotstoun,Yard No 419 Engines by D Rowan & Co Ltd, Glasgow Propulsion: Quadruple expansion, 4 cyl, 3000 ihp, 12.5 knots Launched: Sunday, 09 March 1930 Built: 1930 Ship Type: Passenger Cargo ShipTonnage: 5943 gross; 3755 netLength: 429ftBreadth: 54ftOwner History:Ben Line, LeithStatus: Scrapped - 1950Remarks: 6.1930: Completed. 24.2.1950: Fire broke out in stokehold when in position 35.37N, 17.11E, 130 miles E of Malta. Abandoned. Later towed to Malta where she arrived 3.3.1950 and was declared a total loss. 12.9.1950: Arrived in tow at Spezia to be broken up by Cantieri Navali "Santa Maria".

He would be very grateful if anyone can help
Hi Derek

Ive posted five photos of the Benledi IV when she was on fire in the Medi in February 1950

Photos in the Maritime Casualties Gallery

Regards

Willie Mac
Old 26th March 2009, 21:36

is there eny information on benledi6 she was on of four heavy lifters i did 5 trips on her the best ship i was ever on.
teddybear.
Old 4th February 2016, 17:01

I believe my father was an engineer on the Benledi when she was on fire off Malta. Is there anywhere we can find the crew lists please and does anyone have any further photos. We have never quite been able to get to the bottom of what happened to cause the fire and would like to b able to place him for certain on board this ship. His name is Arthur James Dawson.
Old 5th September 2018, 21:45

Trying on here again and unfortunately cant see any of the pictures people are talking about. Does anyone know what caused this fire pls and any other info pictures would be so much appreciated. Can't ask my Dad now.
Old 5th September 2018, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Mac View Post
Hi Derek

Ive posted five photos of the Benledi IV when she was on fire in the Medi in February 1950

Photos in the Maritime Casualties Gallery

Regards

Willie Mac
where can I find these please..are they still there?
Old 5th September 2018, 22:22
Willie

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus4me View Post
where can I find these please..are they still there?
If you go to the Gallery Fourm, scroll down to Member Galleries then click on Willie Mac, you should be able to find them there.
Old 6th September 2018, 10:18

willie mac s photos had x5 pictures of the ben ledi when she was on fire..I'm still trying to find them. Thanks for help. they were posted 2009 so I'm still trying to get back to earlier posted photos. I'm assuming I start in the Gallery at the top of the page?
Old 6th September 2018, 10:22

Ah ..just found them. Thank you so much..any more details of how this fire started etc would be gratefully received. Were they carrying microfilm, something to do with the impending Korean War or is this just rumours?