Benarty - Ships Nostalgia
11:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Benarty

User Tag List

Old 5th October 2017, 20:53

Benarty

Can anyone tell me what the SWL of the stulken derrick on the Benarty was.
Old 5th October 2017, 21:52

John, 180 tons swl, from what I remember, regards Dave.
Old 13th October 2017, 17:12
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2007

Yes Dave you are correct the Arty had a stucklen derrick serving both No 3/4 hatches and had a SWL of 180 tons. Rgds Ian
Old 12th March 2018, 20:38

Im sure was 2/3 for Stulken Ian. Loaded a great tube for Korea in Middlesborough port side all way up deck. Under impression was 200t but could be wrong. Bosun the Beast wi Jackie Callander, chippy Alec Guyan. Trip we ripped a hole in port double bottoms Puerto Rico
Old 14th March 2018, 14:34

Yes Jim you are correct when i typed the above i was thinking g of all new vessels had four hatches for'd. the stulken served 2/3 and had a lifting capacity of 180 tons .
Some of the Strick Line vessels which carried far more heavy lifts and ran up the Persian gulf had some vessels with 300 ton Stulken derricks. I remember seeing the Shraristan at Redheads in South Shields dry dock and she looked good with her derrick .rgds Ian
Old 14th March 2018, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian keyl View Post
Yes Jim you are correct when i typed the above i was thinking g of all new vessels had four hatches for'd. the stulken served 2/3 and had a lifting capacity of 180 tons .
Some of the Strick Line vessels which carried far more heavy lifts and ran up the Persian gulf had some vessels with 300 ton Stulken derricks. I remember seeing the Shraristan at Redheads in South Shields dry dock and she looked good with her derrick .rgds Ian

Stricks only had 180 SWL Stulcken, because of the Manchester ship canal air draft restriction. P&O 'A' class had the 300 SWL Stulckens which was their largest single lift derricks, before deck cranes took over.
Old 14th March 2018, 20:40
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.FROST View Post
Stricks only had 180 SWL Stulcken, because of the Manchester ship canal air draft restriction. P&O 'A' class had the 300 SWL Stulckens which was their largest single lift derricks, before deck cranes took over.
T & J Harrisons were early adopters of the Stulcken but it was a long time ago and I can't recall the capacity.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 15th March 2018, 01:24

Yes you are correct sahib Frost ,i stand corrected and Ron I remember seeing a T&J Harrison vessel that had two Stulkens ,don't remember the name , I need the ex Harrison man who worked ashore in HQ and had a share in an old preserved tug in Liverpool . Rgds Ian

P.S Just remembered my mate in Harrisons BOB Adams. Have not heard of him for long time .

Last edited by ian keyl; 15th March 2018 at 01:32.. Reason: add info
Old 15th March 2018, 08:28

It's strange that Clan line chartered the first British owed ship to have a Stulcken WAVECREST but they stuck with the clumsy Jumbo? and Ben Line bought the war built heavy lifters for their open hatches to carry wool! and edging their bets with the new BENARTY.
Old 15th March 2018, 11:08

I cannot call this FAKE news but its not quiet true, the four WW 2 heavy lift ships which Ben Line purchased were mainly for Govt: contract work and on standby/call to move MOD heavy lifts anywhere in the world . these vessels were purchased over a short period from 1947 and mainly disposed by 1965. sometimes laid up in Hartlepool or Falmouth., they carried MOD goods to Korea,North Africa, Hong Kong, Singapore and to the Islands in the Pacific for The American Atomic bomb testing. .
Yes the vessels when completed a charter were always open to another wherever in the world as you said wool from OZ/NZ . they had superb hatches for large bulk commodities suck as wool . In those days we in the Uk were the largest trader of colonial wool with France through Marseilles next then the rest of Europe. We did more finishing of wool products than any other country in the world at that time then exported it. the traditional lines always had some spare which went on offer. Today we hardly import any wool from OZ/NZ. Back to the ships , trends change so quickly , from the late sixties to today, Even we built some of the most streamlined and quickest vessels on the FE route with efficient cargo handling all to satisfy shippers who wanted their goods quicker but they were overtaken by box boats and sold within five years. This is not trying to prove a point ,just plugging a few holes , cheers rgds Ian.
Old 20th March 2018, 16:22
Department: Electrician
Active: 1967 - 1990

Anybody about when the Benarty was rammed by the Lykes boat spent 6 weeks in drydock in Hamburg. Very expensive time
Old 3rd May 2019, 18:49
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1970

My first ship for Marconi was the Benarty as jnr/RO, great trip from Southampton via Suez to far east what an experience for newbie 19 yr old.
Old 3rd May 2019, 19:44
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1982

My location
The T J Harrison vessel with the two Stulckens was the Craftsman, 2 x 250 tons, 500 t tandem lift.