MV Crested eagle - Ships Nostalgia
00:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

MV Crested eagle

User Tag List

Old 24th July 2005, 22:03
Bilge Rat
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
MV Crested eagle

Anyone heard of this one? owned by General steam, Charted by Campbels for a summer season along the south coast. Described as a "Thames riverbus" at one time. My first ship. when the season ended we took her to St Catherins dock where we left her.
Twin screw job. Crossly diesels, good for around 15 knots. Wonder if she is still floating around as a private yacht somewhere? anyone know anything about her?
Old 24th July 2005, 23:23

William, she left the General steam fleet in 1957 and then served at Malta as the 'Imperial Eagle'. In 1999 she was scuttled as a diving attraction.

http://www.marinefoundation.org/IMPE...EAGLE%2099.pdf
(A PDF File: Adobe Acrobat needed)

http://www.marinefoundation.org/wrec...erialeagle.htm

Bruce C.
Old 25th July 2005, 02:59
Bilge Rat

My location
many thanks for the info Bruce. This site never ceases to amaze me. So much knowledge at hand. thanks again,Bill.
Old 25th July 2005, 03:03
Bilge Rat

My location
Thank you John. very impressed with the quick answers I get on this site, What a knowledgeable we have here. Thanks again.
Old 30th July 2005, 02:41
Bilge Rat

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by john236
As promised Bill a photo of Royal Lsady / Crested Eagle, Had a job finding her as i had put her in 1934 file as the old Royal Lady
Thankk you for an interesting picture. never saw her with two funnels. the forward was removed and a companion way put in to allow better access to the lower deck. there was also a timber structure at the rear of the bridge which doubled as a chart table/radio shack. never understood why they never made it bigger to cover the bridge. as I remember it her wheel was around 6Ft diameter. the angle of tge foremast allowed the gulls a perfect target for the binnacle, pain when I just polished it, think they waited for to do...LOL
Thanks agai... Bill