Remember Me - Ships Nostalgia
10:58

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Remember Me

User Tag List

Old 2nd August 2005, 20:44

Remember Me

Hi I,m Alan Bruton ex Galley Boy. Asst Cook 2nd Cook , Cook . Now a 76 year old Pensioner From May 5th 1944 served on Empire Cavalier later British Cavalier, St David,CWR St Patriclk,GWR Pencarrow. Chelows of Cardiff Red Bank, Fort Frederica bothh T2s run by BTC, Norwegian Donaldsons Fort Glenlyon Banks Line/ Warkworth Dalgeish and the Allurity. Are there any photos around of these old ships. Baandar nMashur when a night at the pictures meant a bombardment of rocks thrown over the wall nby the locals and Kuwait was a bouy with a pipe line beneath and no sign of land. We were on the beef for oil run to the river p;ate in the days after the war when the U.K.was broke Happy Days
Old 2nd August 2005, 21:44

Welcome Alan to SN,
You are going back in time, just post WW2, but a very knowledgable membership will I am sure come to your assistance with photos
Old 3rd August 2005, 01:32
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Welcome to the site Alan. I did three trips on the Norwegian in 1951,Im sure I saw a picture of her in the gallery,if not I will try and dig one up for you.
John.

I just checked the gallery and there is a picture of the Norwegian in there.

Last edited by John Rogers; 3rd August 2005 at 18:59..
Old 4th August 2005, 18:40

thanks for the information we must have been on the Norwgian at the same time i was second cook and backer. the cook at the time was Wally Pavoir unfortunately now passed away.
regards
Alan Bruton
Old 4th August 2005, 18:59

My location
Hi Alan, I just checked my Discharge book and the dates I joined her was March 1951 and I left her at the end of June as she was going into dry-dock and a re-fit. The name Wally sure rings a bell,and if its the same cook I believe he came from Devon and married a young lady from Avonmouth. A very nice gentleman and one of the best cooks I ever sailed with,the food was excellent and you must have had something to do with it. I also sailed with him a couple of years earlier on the Bristol City. I worked down below as a Fireman/Watertender. The captains name was A.L.Hunter. Where do you live now Alan as one flag shows Syria and your last post shows Spain.
Old 4th August 2005, 20:04

hi john, have found the Norwegian in the gallery Wally Pavior was a Devon man. i now live in Spain and have done so for 13 years in San Miguel des Salinas Alicante. at the moment staying with my daughter in Bristol. Where in the states do you live? Were you originally from Shirehampton as i knew a lot of people called Rogers.
regards
Alan
Old 4th August 2005, 20:20

My location
Yes Alan I was from Shire but the only son,no relatives in the village. I had a feeling that was Wally the cook from Devon. If my memory serves me he married a gal called Mathias who had a brother that was a Chief or 2nd steward on the banana boats,the family owned a MN uniform shop in Avonmouth.
John.
P.S. Alan I just sent my email address to you via the private message.

Last edited by John Rogers; 4th August 2005 at 20:33..