Palm Line - Ships Nostalgia
21:40

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Palm Line

User Tag List

Old 27th February 2005, 18:46

Palm Line

Come on guys lets get talking, love to hear from any old Palm people.
I was with Palm Line from around 74 till 83.
Once upon a time
Think this is me on Ilorin Palm 4th engineer around 1975
remembered2
Next shoreside in Lagos at an ex pats house,
Back radio officer???
Middle left to right
??????? Ray Inness 3rd eng, Me 3rd eng, Bob Stenhouse2nd eng ???????
Front ??????????
remembered1
Apapa Palm Engine CR, left to right
Ray Innes 3rd eng, 5th eng?????, electrician Cliff?????,Chief eng??????
Bob Stenhouse 2nd eng, Me 3rd eng.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg remember1.jpg (79.8 KB, 502 views)
File Type: jpg remember2.jpg (62.3 KB, 529 views)
File Type: jpg once upon a time2.jpg (31.8 KB, 267 views)

Last edited by scottie dog; 28th February 2005 at 15:42..
Old 25th March 2005, 17:57

I was on the Ilorin Palm as well, joined her at Dublin on April 25th 1973, then about four ports on the continent before sailing down the West Coast of Africa. Paid off at Sunderland 23rd July. Can't say that it was the best trip I ever had (Rings of the song Sloop John B) But it was an experience, and one that I'll probably never forget. Regards Tony Jones, R867015.
Old 25th March 2005, 19:44

Palm Line

Should have tried a few more trips Tony, Cause you only remember the good times but I remember many of them.
I would go back tomorrow if they still existed.
Scottie Dog
Old 27th March 2005, 21:07

Thumbs down Tragic

Sorry Scottie, I should have explained myself a bit better, by bad I mean tragic (=|) . On the way round to the continent from Dublin, the Chippy fell down a ladder aft and done his leg in. Then one of the A.Bís broke his leg when putting the pilot ladder over at Rotterdam. Another two A.Bís jumped ship, they were replaced by three sailors off the International Pool, which were as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. The cook was a Nigerian, and was a championship boxer back home, and he should have stayed in the ring, instead of cooking on one. Down the West Coast at Cape Palmas when loading logs, a docker was crushed to death, and the same happened again in Rotterdam on the way home. I was struck down with malaria, and spent a week in my bunk, luckily for me I never suffered from it again. There wasnít enough paint either, and everything was ďtouched upĒ and she looked like a patch work quilt when we arrived home. And to cap it all, the Mate was a wee man from Aberdeen, who thought that every body over five feet tall, was out to get him, he new as much about man management, as I know about breeding Polynesian Parrots. Yes Scottie, my memory serves me well, Tragic. Regards, Tony. (=|) (:X)

Last edited by Rhiw.com; 27th March 2005 at 21:34..
Old 28th March 2005, 10:14

Sad

Sorry That you had such a rough experience Tony as the saying goes "worse things happen at sea" but for so much in one trip?
Actually it reminded me of my first trip with Palm Line, first the Chief officer Ian Mclean practically ripped off his finger jumping out of a life boat his ring caught on the cleats.
Then shortly after an AB 19 years old fell down the hatch and broke his neck we had to bury him in Banjul.
All part of sea life I guess but non the less tragic.

Last edited by scottie dog; 28th March 2005 at 11:38..
Old 28th March 2005, 10:37

I quite agree with you Scottie, some trips turn out bad, and others are good. One happy memory of the Ilorin Palm, we played football against a Danish ship "Panama" East Asiatic Co, at Sapele, we were beaten about 10 - 0, but were invited back on board to celebrate, and I just can't remember getting back. All the best, Tony
Old 28th March 2005, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeewestie
Scottie, would love to hear some of your stories if you have the time.
Zelda
More stories to come later Zelda
Old 29th March 2005, 06:59

Palm Line

Hi Scottie, Did you come across Ronnie Nickolson in Palm Line? He was an A.B. but sailed as Bosun as well, He was from Holyhead. and a real nice guy. I sailed with him quite a lot in the 1980's, on the Ferries. Regards Tony.
Old 29th March 2005, 08:50

nicholson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiw.com
Hi Scottie, Did you come across Ronnie Nickolson in Palm Line? He was an A.B. but sailed as Bosun as well, He was from Holyhead. and a real nice guy. I sailed with him quite a lot in the 1980's, on the Ferries. Regards Tony.
Tony
was he a short guy but stocky probably in his middle to late twenties around about 1976?
Old 29th March 2005, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie dog
Tony
was he a short guy but stocky probably in his middle to late twenties around about 1976?
Yes Scottie, he fits the bill, Regards Tony.
Old 30th March 2005, 10:29

Doxford

See member board on doxford engines for related topic
Old 30th March 2005, 10:31

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiw.com
Yes Scottie, he fits the bill, Regards Tony.
Hi tony
Think Ron was the Bosun on the Ibadan Palm the time the young AB was killed.
Old 30th March 2005, 10:40

Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie dog
Hi tony
Think Ron was the Bosun on the Ibadan Palm the time the young AB was killed.
You are right Scottie, because he told me the story of the tragic incident. We seafarers never forget these sad things. Regards Tony.
Old 31st March 2005, 09:48

Time out

Just a note to say going back to sea for a while on DSVs (no not Doxford engines such a shame) back in a few weeks and most certainly pop back in on my return.
scotty Dog
Old 31st March 2005, 09:51
Ron B Manderson

sea

Running away with a sailor then
Have a safe trip
Ron
Old 31st March 2005, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B Manderson
Running away with a sailor then
Have a safe trip
Ron
Thanks Ron
Old 23rd May 2005, 23:41

Ex Pats House Photo

Radio Officer is Les Holt, At the end in the gold shirt is Purser Alan ???
came from Liverpool but believe then moved to Cornwall, still have picture
of Apapa Palm on my office wall after twenty years
Old 2nd June 2005, 17:36

Hi,
Although I never sailed on the Palm Boats.I watched several been built while working in the time office of Swan Hunters of Wallsend.Newcastle.my birth place.
Only today have I bought a book on the history of the Palm Line.If any info wanted let me know.
cheers.
shipmate17
Old 3rd June 2005, 10:02

Can't help much with life at sea with Palm Line but from a small boy's perspective ashore in West Africa it was very glamorous and exciting.

When Dad first worked for Palm Line, they were still using surf boats in Accra (where I was born) and shifted some vast amount of cargo through them (? 300,000 tons a year).

Can remember Dad coming home on many occasions complaining bitterly that Elder Dempster had pinched a berth again, but funnily enough no comparable celebrations when the reverse happened, as it must have done.

Visits to the ships were always a highlight - Bamenda Palm was a great favourite of mine, but Capt Pugh's cabin always put the fear of God into my brother and I because he had a whip hanging up from Ikot Ekpene which had 2 knots at the end and was used as mental terror by my parents!

Lived in Accra, Takoradi, Calabar, Port Harcourt, Apapa and Ikoyi 1955 to mid 60s and fond memories of Derek Bell and Jack Raeburn and the to-be-mentioned-in-hushed-tones Mr Duncan and George Downie.

I think I've probably been on most of the ships in the Shaw Savill photo page and was last aboard Elmina Palm and Kano Palm one summer evening in the late 70's in Liverpool when a friend of mine, David Ellis, was an engineer in Kano Palm.
Old 3rd June 2005, 10:06

To show how effects endured in the family, to the end of his life, anything Dad found good was "sweet past Takoradi Harbour extension". Back home in UK, for many years we never said "turn it off" or "switch it off", it was always "quench it". Nothing ever got broken but many times "de fine ting dun spoil" and Mum never served a meal but always "brought forth chop"!
Old 3rd June 2005, 13:23

Thanks JS, Oyibo - you brought back memories of West Africa Chop (Yum Yum) and Flash for a Dash up the Creeks (riotous nights chucking soap and dumping dunnage on the dugouts - plenty of dashes, not many flashes, lots of laughs aboard and in the river.

John T.
Old 17th June 2005, 22:57

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipmate17
Hi,
Although I never sailed on the Palm Boats.I watched several been built while working in the time office of Swan Hunters of Wallsend.Newcastle.my birth place.
Only today have I bought a book on the history of the Palm Line.If any info wanted let me know.
cheers.
shipmate17
hi shipmate 17,
I would be interested in any imfo you can poevide regarding "Palm Line"
Regards
W. Dillon.
Old 17th June 2005, 22:58

My location
Excuse the spelling mistakes, this keyboard has a mind of it's own or am I a "duff" typist?
Regards
W. Dillon.
Old 18th June 2005, 13:29

My location
Great company Palm Line ,very particular their funnel colours!!!
Ciao
Gp
Old 23rd June 2005, 04:13

My first ship as an Engineer S.S Matadi Palm 1956, then to the M.V Burutu Palm, fond memories when coast & creeks were safe before independance. Spent my first Christmas in Rotterdam dry docks