Burial at Sea. - Ships Nostalgia
07:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Burial at Sea.

User Tag List

Old 28th January 2018, 14:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1991

My location
Burial at Sea.

Thirty-eight years ago today, 28th January, 1980.
On this day at 10:00 local time William "Billy" Wallace PON was buried at sea in the Eastern Mediterranean in position 35degrees 07 minutes North, 19degrees 28minutes East .
SS Jervis Bay GYSE, under the command of Captain John Blackburn, was stopped and the enshrouded body was let slip from beneath a Union Flag.
Billy Wallace suffered a tragic accident whilst the vessel was approaching Suez, he died the following day during transit of the Suez Canal.
These men with no gravestones to mark their passage, should be remembered.
Old 28th January 2018, 18:25

Sorry to hear of the loss of your shipmate, Mayday. I'm surprised to hear that he was buried at sea after an accident - I would have thought there would have been a post mortem.

John T
Old 28th January 2018, 22:11
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Sorry about the loss, but I would have thought that in the 1980's he would have been put in one of the freezers until you docked in a suitable port......

On the R V Star in 1975 we were leaving Acapulco and the bosun had an heart attack, we returned to the pier were a doctor arrived and confirmed the he was dead, he was then put in one of the freezers and he stayed onboard about two weeks until we arrived in Los Angeles and he was then flown home to Norway...
Old 29th January 2018, 12:49
Department: Navigation
Active: 1959 - 1977

I have witnessed two. Both Indian crew members. One went into the freezer as he had no apparent signs of death but the other,a sailor, fell from the mast and it was obvious. He was a Hindu and as the Ghats were not available, the Serang and crew agreed that he be lowered on a hatch board to float away.
Trying to remember what Ellerman vessel it was....maybe the Lancaster in the '60's.
Old 29th January 2018, 13:47
Active: 1954 - 1981

once brought a c/ eng back from narvik he was in a steel box on the boat days for 4 days. by passed him every morning. as i done the soundings
Old 29th January 2018, 13:59
Active: 1958 - 1975

Burial at Sea

When I was on the Southern Cross in 59-60 there were an average of 2-3 deaths a trip(roughly 12 weeks), and when you consider that there were about 1,500 onboard I don't suppose thats strange. Normally, from what I can remember, the ship would "Stop Engines" for a while and the Old Man would do his business, and then it would be "Full Ahead" on the engines, t was usually on the 12-4 watch in the afternoon
Old 29th January 2018, 23:27
Active: 1965 - 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Taylor View Post
I have witnessed two. Both Indian crew members. One went into the freezer as he had no apparent signs of death but the other,a sailor, fell from the mast and it was obvious. He was a Hindu and as the Ghats were not available, the Serang and crew agreed that he be lowered on a hatch board to float away.
Trying to remember what Ellerman vessel it was....maybe the Lancaster in the '60's.
Mike
When I sailed with George Salter he told us of a guy falling from the Mast in the Heferford. He said it took a long time to go throught the checks for life
Old 30th January 2018, 13:08
Active: 1959 - 1977

Alan, maybe was the Hereford....I did sail on it about that time. The Captain wanted to sail back to SriLanka to burn him but it was agreed to send him away floating.
Old 31st January 2018, 10:53

My location
I've posted this before:
On the Nurtureton 1952 an AB, Jim (Bill?) Larsen became ill with what the captain diagnosed as a stomach ulcer. He was receiving info from ashore on what to do for the poor man, who was in excruciating pain, his screams being heard throughout the ship.
Three of us were designated to join a number of belts with which to lash him down and we held him while the captain plunged a huge hypodermic needle into his stomach (under instructions) and withdrew the poison.
Depositing it into a dish beside the bed, one of the men passed out and was quickly replaced. Larsen had by now also passed out which was a relief for him, as well as us.
The poor fellow died during the night, a few minutes after I had been relieved from watching over him.
We stitched him into canvass the next morning, laying him on a hatchboard. When the job was almost finished, I was given a longer needle and told that I had to put the final stitch through his nose, to ensure that he was really dead. (I didn't know it was bullshit at that time!).
An Ensign was placed over the canvass, held at each corner and Larsen was slid over the side from the wet board.
The mate gave us an almost half-full bottle of rum and my mates got a big bollocking for that last stitch joke on me!

Taff
Old 31st January 2018, 21:26
Active: 1980 - 1991

The stitch thing isn't a joke...
Old 31st January 2018, 22:16

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
The stitch thing isn't a joke...
It was when I was at sea!

Taff
Old 1st February 2018, 00:23
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
Thirty-eight years ago today, 28th January, 1980.
On this day at 10:00 local time William "Billy" Wallace PON was buried at sea in the Eastern Mediterranean in position 35degrees 07 minutes North, 19degrees 28minutes East .
SS Jervis Bay GYSE, under the command of Captain John Blackburn, was stopped and the enshrouded body was let slip from beneath a Union Flag.
Billy Wallace suffered a tragic accident whilst the vessel was approaching Suez, he died the following day during transit of the Suez Canal.
These men with no gravestones to mark their passage, should be remembered.
I never sailed with Billy Wallace but i sailed with one of his son's,was told he was a really nice guy. RIP Billy
Old 1st February 2018, 09:59
Active: 1971 - 1991

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie burgess View Post
I never sailed with Billy Wallace but i sailed with one of his son's,was told he was a really nice guy. RIP Billy
Yes, he was.