Dedication to Duty - Ships Nostalgia
08:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Dedication to Duty

User Tag List

Old 1st March 2018, 23:41
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1951 - 1994

My location
Dedication to Duty

Dedication to Duty
This chilly weather reminds me of a day last century when winter was winter and men were men. I was on duty in Wick Radio, a marine radio station which maintained two distress watches and handled essential traffic. Some of us trudged from outlying hamlets through a blinding blizzard and drifts to be there for the shift. One of the lads made it from the airport, a mile and a half away, but his next door neighbour failed to turn up. That was worrying – “is he OK?” we wondered. Eventually, the chap who made it from the airport volunteered to go back and check on his mate’s wellbeing. A couple of hours later he was back – alone. “What’s happened?” we wondered, “where is he?”
“He says he’s snowed in,” was the answer.
Old 2nd March 2018, 01:29
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - Present

What year was that Charlie? I lived in Milton for about a year before moving into Wick,i was just a kid then 9 years old but remember a heavy fall of snow and it would have been 1968 or 69 and the schools were closed for a week.
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Gregory View Post
Dedication to Duty
This chilly weather reminds me of a day last century when winter was winter and men were men. I was on duty in Wick Radio, a marine radio station which maintained two distress watches and handled essential traffic. Some of us trudged from outlying hamlets through a blinding blizzard and drifts to be there for the shift. One of the lads made it from the airport, a mile and a half away, but his next door neighbour failed to turn up. That was worrying – “is he OK?” we wondered. Eventually, the chap who made it from the airport volunteered to go back and check on his mate’s wellbeing. A couple of hours later he was back – alone. “What’s happened?” we wondered, “where is he?”
“He says he’s snowed in,” was the answer.
And woman were woman and still are. In the news there is a nurse who posted a video clip of herself walking 10 miles to work through the windy snowy weather, patients wellbeing first and all that.
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:34
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
There is a post on the Beeb this morning of a firefighter who walked 15 miles to work in Lincolnshire and he got there ... a day early. The dedication of our nurses, doctors and firefighters, and numerous others, is fantastic. They deserve recognition and medals in weather like this, not some bloody pop star.
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:44
Department: Electrician
Active: 1962 - 1978

Well said Tony
Old 2nd March 2018, 11:03
King Ratt

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Selman View Post
There is a post on the Beeb this morning of a firefighter who walked 15 miles to work in Lincolnshire and he got there ... a day early. The dedication of our nurses, doctors and firefighters, and numerous others, is fantastic. They deserve recognition and medals in weather like this, not some bloody pop star.

Exactly.
Old 2nd March 2018, 12:47
Active: 1963 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Selman View Post
What about the private sector workers ? The truck and van drivers, post men and women, and all the rest not to mention the seamen and fishermen round our coasts. This is supposed to be a marine site for God's sake .
Without these folk there would be no public sector
Old 2nd March 2018, 15:14
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
"and numerous other others". Not room for every job in the country. I think most people knew what I meant.
Old 2nd March 2018, 17:44

There is a legend at GKA where following one severe snowstorm in Burnham-on-Sea (1970s/1980s), one hardy R/O soul was walking to work through the drifts when he was greeted by a shout from a window.

"Tell them I won't be in today, I'm snowed in"

One of the GKA overseers.
Old 2nd March 2018, 23:32

My location
Hi Stevie - Dunno what year it was. But I was there between '57 and '74. So it was maybe somewhere in the middle. We just thought it was hilarious at the time.
Old 2nd March 2018, 23:36

My location
Yeah. I was more comfortable in those days, I knew which department I was signed on in.
Old 2nd March 2018, 23:40

My location
I agree. It's right across the board. And don't forget the every day people who go on to the motorways etc in treacherous conditions to give their own food to stranded motorists. Now that's really something.
Old 2nd March 2018, 23:44

My location
Wonder if that story has its roots in Wickradio? Which really did happen. I was on duty that day so I know. I could even name names. But it wouldn't be appropriate.
Old 4th March 2018, 19:43

My location
Hi R65..... I never heard of 5 mile limit. A mate of mine lived out at Watten - 8 miles from Wick, no questions asked.
Old 5th March 2018, 23:14

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Thanks Charlie.. Oic then was Ken Foster a stickler for rules and regs some he possibly made up himself.
Incidentally I was at Leith NC with Paul Vohra (SI) in '55 and he has been sk for a few years now. Tom McLennan sk and final GKR OiC was on my GKA induction course in late '63 and looks as if he spent his entire wkg life at GKR..
At the very least would've thought that merited a knighthood!
Hi R651 - yeah I knew about Tom via my wife's Aunt who lives in the same road. And I knew about Paul too. I knew them both well. Tom was very guarded about his age - kind of a Peter Pan character. And Paul was that Last of the Real Characters - Charlie
Old 6th March 2018, 01:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Gregory View Post
Hi Stevie - Dunno what year it was. But I was there between '57 and '74. So it was maybe somewhere in the middle. We just thought it was hilarious at the time.
Not to worry Charlie but i'm quite sure it was '68-'69 winter...was some heap of snow and a few snowmen made in the garden on the week of school haha!
Old 6th March 2018, 11:22
Active: 1963 - 1995

I saw Ken Foster mentioned in #16 .

He had already had his 'Dedication to Duty' back in the 1953 floods when he was at GKZ. In an account of his experiences, Eric Robinson, says he, John Handford and Ken Foster organised the evacuation of women and children from the railway station in Sutton on Sea in an RAF Lorry, then waited for the next one and did the same. There was just enough room for the three of them to cling on to the back of this lorry, but being unable to see clearly where the road was through the water, it ran off into the ditch, only saved by a telegraph pole. The stalwart three then set off to bring help wading through the floods. John Handford says Ken was flagging by this time having been in the water almost continuously for close on 24 hours, and was 'beginning to lose interest in life'. Eric Robinson says that he and John 'more or less bullied him on'. John Handford was on duty when the station flooded.

GKZ was back on the air from a Mobile Station on a hillside 15 miles away three days later.

All this was 65 years ago this January 31st.

David
+
Old 7th March 2018, 18:35

Hello Charlie
How about starting a thread on the experiences of a Radio Surveyor. We met in Cardiff in the 80's but the heyday of Real Characters was on its way out then
73, Andrew Fairgrieve
Old 7th March 2018, 20:06

My location
Yeah but no but yeah but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW3OQK View Post
Hello Charlie
How about starting a thread on the experiences of a Radio Surveyor. We met in Cardiff in the 80's but the heyday of Real Characters was on its way out then
73, Andrew Fairgrieve
Hi Andrew... God... I know your name but I can't place you. Remind me... But you're dead right. After the '80s the real characters were swept under the PC - Pratt's Carpet. We certainly had a full set of them on the docks.
Old 7th March 2018, 20:07

My location
Hi Andrew... God... I know your name but I can't place you. Remind me... But you're dead right. After the '80s the real characters were swept under the PC - Pratt's Carpet. We certainly had a full set of them on the docks.
Old 7th March 2018, 20:55

My location
Hi Andy - weren't you an independent radio company, marketing your own equipment - or something like that?
Old 7th March 2018, 21:43
Active: 1943 - 1951

Some of the names I remember from my time at GKR (1953/54) may be of interest.

Bruce Mackie (O/C), Robbie Sutherland, Owen Owen, Alec Ogilvie, Jimmy Kay, John Scott, Murray, Laing, Peter Madden, Sandy McIvor and Donald Mackenzie. The latter became the O/C at Port Patrick (GPK) before becoming the Surveyor at Leith. Alec Ogilvie also became an O/C, but I don't know where. I think Murray got a transfer to GND. Peter Madden was the most uncommunicative colleague I ever worked with, as he went through every day without chatting to anybody, but a nice chap for all that. Laing was tall and strong and I believe later got into trouble for lifting the O/C at GNI off his feet.
Old 7th March 2018, 22:48

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN M View Post
Some of the names I remember from my time at GKR (1953/54) may be of interest.

Bruce Mackie (O/C), Robbie Sutherland, Owen Owen, Alec Ogilvie, Jimmy Kay, John Scott, Murray, Laing, Peter Madden, Sandy McIvor and Donald Mackenzie. The latter became the O/C at Port Patrick (GPK) before becoming the Surveyor at Leith. Alec Ogilvie also became an O/C, but I don't know where. I think Murray got a transfer to GND. Peter Madden was the most uncommunicative colleague I ever worked with, as he went through every day without chatting to anybody, but a nice chap for all that. Laing was tall and strong and I believe later got into trouble for lifting the O/C at GNI off his feet.
Hi Ian - never met Mackay, Ogilvie or Mackenzie but know them by name and repute. I knew all the rest well, guess they are all SKs now. I had many a toe to toe with Owen Owen in his day, ratty little bugger. But he had a terrible tragedy in the end. We saw his wife go past the station pushing their granddaughter in a pram. The next we knew, she was dead, killed by a car that ran into her back. The child escaped uninjured.
Old 8th March 2018, 18:17

Yes Charlie. Dedication to Design has kept me in business since 87 but now I'm part time. AMI Marine VDR and SMIDS did me well. Now I can dedicate myself to Longbow Archery and Playing Bluegrass Banjo
73 Andy .
Old 8th March 2018, 21:34

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW3OQK View Post
Yes Charlie. Dedication to Design has kept me in business since 87 but now I'm part time. AMI Marine VDR and SMIDS did me well. Now I can dedicate myself to Longbow Archery and Playing Bluegrass Banjo
73 Andy .
Ah great, Andy. It all started coming back after I replied to you. I enjoyed my time on the docks and met a lot of interesting people. I don't know who we knew in common. But Nev Ianson is long gone. Brian Yarwood is retired and in Diss, Norfolk I think. Bryan Richards is in Cowbridge and going strong. I still exchange Christmas cards with Mike Hooks, ex SAIT, sometimes hear from Brian Thatcher, Decca. And that's about it really. Keep up the banjo and longbow, sounds good. Charlie