Ports and Bens - Ships Nostalgia
12:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ports and Bens

User Tag List

Old 15th April 2018, 17:44

Ports and Bens

For Christmas, my daughter gave me a dvd copy of this great film with shots of Port and Ben Line ships of the late 1950s early 60s. It is part of "The Great Liners" series produced by Snowbow Productions. Among the BL ships featured are the "Reoch" the "Vrackie" and the "Attow".If you haven't already seen it, it is well worth the money as it contains many fine shots of the ships of that time and the men who sailed in them.

On another tack, I have just put on Kindle my wee book "My Early Years" about growing-up in seaside Edinburgh during the WW2 years. It will be of interest to any who know the Portobello and Craigentinny areas. It is only 2.99 to download and free for Kindle Unlimited users. The link is:AmazonBO7BNLGS8R
Old 29th April 2018, 12:05
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Ports and Bens is a good DVD, brings back the memories of days gone past. Would have preferred it if it had all been Bens but there you go.

Another DVD called "The Bens" can be obtained from the Scottish Screen Archive (part of the National Library of Scotland). Filmed in 1967 in colour with sound and lasts approximately 23 minutes. www.nls.uk/ssa

The Lecky I sailed with on Bennevis was a keen cine-camera type and he shot a lot of film on his Bell & Howell. I knew he was from Cheshire then (1968-9) but much of his stuff would have been great for Snowbow. Unfortunately I'd long forgotten his name otherwise would have tried to find him to pass his name on to Des cox at Snowbow.
Old 2nd November 2018, 21:45

Must get my daughter to help me obtain this DVD as l am so bad with present technology , just to see some insight into the life of the Benliners all those years ago !
Old 3rd November 2018, 13:01

My location
I got a copy some ago . It brought back a lot of happy memories for me . When I watched it I saw some of the guys that I had sailed with in the period 1950/60s . Also a number those seamen had previously sailed with Ben Line . They were mostly from Stornaway , Barra , and South Uist . Great ships , and good seamen . Happy times indeed . I am glad that I was fortunate to sail deep sea in the time that the U K was so many ships . Alex C .