Perthshire - Ships Nostalgia
18:38

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Perthshire

User Tag List

Old 28th June 2018, 16:29

Perthshire

Looking for assistance in identifying personnel from TSS Perthshire circa 1940's to send attached photo to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TSS Perthshire - Copy.jpg (438.6 KB, 98 views)
Old 28th June 2018, 18:23

Are you certain that the photograph is from the 1940s?

I ask merely because one of the cadets in the front row is identical in appearance to a cadet known personally to me to have sailed in Perthshire in 1957/58/59.

Happy to give you further detail, if I might be right as to the approximate true date. If I might be right as to the date, then I could be quite certain as to the identity of the cadet.
Old 29th June 2018, 07:02
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
Some of the men are wearing Clan Line uniforms while others are in standard MN. This would lead me to think that they are from two different ships or it is a war time picture.
If it was post 1956 then they would be wearing B&C cap badges rather than Clan Line ones.
I think the master is Captain A J Hogg
Not only does it look like him but if you look closely he is wearing a handkerchief in his top pocket in both, somewhat unusual and definitely a personal affectation.
Captain Hogg was master of Argyllshire from 1956 until his retirement in 1960. This would mean your picture is pre-1956.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Portrait.jpg (47.5 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Chris Isaac; 29th June 2018 at 07:20..
Old 29th June 2018, 09:00

Thank you for that, Chris.

Unfortunately my own suggested nominee crossed the bar some time ago. Thus I can help no further.

I agree that there do seem to be rather a lot of bodies available for representation from one ship.

I wonder where the ship might be? Fine weather. Men in blues. One (the agent?) in an (apparently) tropical civvy suit?
Old 29th June 2018, 11:47

Hi Barrie & Chris Thanks for response. The photo was found in a box of family photos and we can find no connection. Based on your responses it seems more like 1950's The picture of Captain Hogg posted by Chris looks very similar to person in group photo. There is writing on the back "Ships company (European) TSS Perthshire Scottish Clan Line London ? Happy to mail and or email picture to person(s) connected to photo Thanks Mike Abdinor Cape Town
Old 29th June 2018, 12:42

And thanks to you, Mike, for your puzzle. i did wonder whether it might have been Capetown.

The cadet I had in mind was Bill Owen (born 1941), who was just a little my senior in the Pilot Service at Liverpool. Anything pre-1956 would rule him out - but the likeness is striking.

Known throughout his life as "Tizzy", as was his father before him, sadly he died about ten years ago.
Old 29th June 2018, 13:56

My location
The number of officers is about right for Perthshire
On deck: Master, 3 mates and 2 cadets = 6
Engineers: Chief, 7 engineers, 3 Fridge engineers and a Boiler Maker = 12
Radio Officer = 1
Carpenters = 2
Purser/Chief Steward = 1
Total 22
Old 29th June 2018, 17:46

My location
A friend of mine has ventured a very plausible theory about the use of MN braid.
He thinks the photo was taken just after the war when the full Clan Line braid was in short supply and therefore standard MN braid was widely used.
Old 30th June 2018, 20:45

Would those blue battledress blouses still be part of the kit in the late Fifties?
Old 30th June 2018, 22:42

In some cases, yes.

I remember seeing many.
Old 1st July 2018, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Isaac View Post
A friend of mine has ventured a very plausible theory about the use of MN braid.
He thinks the photo was taken just after the war when the full Clan Line braid was in short supply and therefore standard MN braid was widely used.
Probably right Chris, as an edict was issued early in WWII that the standard regulation MN braid was used instead of company livery during the war period, this was not a material saving reason but for identification purposes or capture, in the latter case it proved to be a self defeating, as from records most officers discarded their uniforms if having to take to the boats after being sunk, as U-Boat captains if taking prisoners usually took captains, Ch Officers and Chief engineers to deprive the MN of experienced personnel.

After the war clothing was rationed as was livery material, even though the MN got an enhanced clothing allowance, it took sometime for Company Livery to re-appear.

Battle Dress we usually wore this on deck as our working uniform, especially on trampers, it was also much easier to put on over a roll neck pullover when transitting the N Atlantic and such like seas, was still very popular right up to the '80's : uniform de riguer on the 0000-0400 watch, who wants a collar and tie at time!
Old 1st July 2018, 08:30

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman38 View Post
Probably right Chris, as an edict was issued early in WWII that the standard regulation MN braid was used instead of company livery during the war period, this was not a material saving reason but for identification purposes or capture, in the latter case it proved to be a self defeating, as from records most officers discarded their uniforms if having to take to the boats after being sunk, as U-Boat captains if taking prisoners usually took captains, Ch Officers and Chief engineers to deprive the MN of experienced personnel.

After the war clothing was rationed as was livery material, even though the MN got an enhanced clothing allowance, it took sometime for Company Livery to re-appear.

Battle Dress we usually wore this on deck as our working uniform, especially on trampers, it was also much easier to put on over a roll neck pullover when transitting the N Atlantic and such like seas, was still very popular right up to the '80's : uniform de riguer on the 0000-0400 watch, who wants a collar and tie at time!
Many thanks for this, your knowledge has been added to the Perthshire page on the B&C web site
Old 1st July 2018, 12:43

Last time I saw battle dress at sea was in the early 60s in Furness Withy Sagamore. I had one myself when cadet in shore establishment, but never wore it at sea!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 1st July 2018, 22:59

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipbuilder View Post
Last time I saw battle dress at sea was in the early 60s in Furness Withy Sagamore. I had one myself when cadet in shore establishment, but never wore it at sea!
Bob
You must have sailed with some high class companies Bob, some of us had to be tramps

Tramps, now that's a whole new subject, longest trip 22 months, takes a long time to fill a Discharge Book!

Last edited by seaman38; 1st July 2018 at 23:01..
Old 2nd July 2018, 07:24

Cool

Sailed with all sorts, some of them under the same banner, but with different identities - Blue Star, Houlders, Furness Withy, Everards, South East Gas, Union Castle, Bowaters, Safmarine, Silver Line (tramps), Sitmar, Sivomar, Starbulk, St Helena Line - May 1961 to October 1992!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:11

The main advantage of the battledress jacket over the standard reefer jacket is surely that it was less expensive to make and to buy?
Old 2nd July 2018, 18:09

Byrom Street Army and Navy Store and a bottle of blue dye from Woolies?
Old 2nd July 2018, 22:34
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1956 - 1970

Anybody remember patrol jackets? I sailed with an engineer in Harrison's who usd to wear one.
Old 4th July 2018, 04:34
Active: 1957 - 1972

I remember while with Currie's of Leith all the officers were issued with Patrol jackets I got a hand me down from the chief steward loved it !!!........ that was in 58