My dad - Ships Nostalgia
00:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

My dad

User Tag List

Old 3rd October 2018, 20:56

My dad

Hi all I'm trying to find more about my dad he sadly pass away when I was a teenager so I didn't really ask him about his live at sea just wondering if he has any old shipmates still around his name is Stanley Scott from claygate in surrey if there is anyone who is still around I would love to hear from you.
Old 3rd October 2018, 22:08

Hi from NZ and welcome.
Do you have any details of his shipping company or companies? What did he do? Anything at all, like a discharge book, might produce some sort of result. Good luck.
Old 4th October 2018, 08:03

hope this helps jog someones mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg grant View Post
Hi from NZ and welcome.
Do you have any details of his shipping company or companies? What did he do? Anything at all, like a discharge book, might produce some sort of result. Good luck.
I think I have up load a photo image (1).jpg
I will try and add some more later.
Old 4th October 2018, 08:54
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Welcome onboard, enjoy the site. With his details (the more details the better) you might find somebody among the large membership on the site who knew your father......

Cheers Frank

Last edited by Frank P; 4th October 2018 at 09:07..
Old 4th October 2018, 11:53

more info.

I think dad was a chief engineer. I remember we spent a weekend on one of the ship in the late 60's early70's I'm sure it was docked at telford.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (1).jpg (102.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg image 2.jpg (200.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg image 6.jpg (120.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (119.4 KB, 86 views)
Old 4th October 2018, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbosco View Post
I think dad was a chief engineer. I remember we spent a weekend on one of the ship in the late 60's early70's I'm sure it was docked at telford.
Cat, from his Discharge Book we see that he was a Donkey Greaser on his first trip in 1951, so being a donkey greaser we must assume that he was older than 16 when he joined his first ship as I have never sailed with a young donkey greaser. Even assuming he was 16 it would make him 83/84 years old this year, many of us are the same vintage! so many have passed on at an earlier age so it may not be possible to be able to have someone contact you who may have sailed with him in his earlier days.

As you appear to have his Discharge Book, it may be more relevant to send us the page of the last entries as you may then stand a better chance of re-awakening someone's memory who may be younger

Just noticed he was born in 1926, which would make him 25 years old on his first trip

Last edited by seaman38; 4th October 2018 at 13:48.. Reason: later post by cat
Old 4th October 2018, 14:26

I know he was away a lot when we were growing up. he left the navy about 1978, he hurt his leg on broad ship, by the time they got him to port it was infected so they had to remove both legs, I'm not sure but he could have been called snowy, he would have been near 50 when he left so someone starting out might remember him, he did do trips for elders & fyffes couple of the ships are samala and Manistee.
Old 4th October 2018, 21:03

more info

can you tell me what a grease donkey does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40112770_303461466875423_5071342502301138944_nda.jpg (22.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 30807_A001430-00036ship.jpg (114.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 5th October 2018, 09:35

Exclamation

The first five entries of ship,engagement, discharge and rating shown on page 7 of that discharge book appear to be the same hand writing, is that a replacement book as there are no official 'ships stamps'
Old 5th October 2018, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
The first five entries of ship,engagement, discharge and rating shown on page 7 of that discharge book appear to be the same hand writing, is that a replacement book as there are no official 'ships stamps'
this could be the other side I don't think the books are replacements, I'm trying to find his discharge book for the 1970.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (1).jpg (168.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 6th October 2018, 01:31
Active: 1959 - 1976

Quote:
can you tell me what a grease donkey does.
A donkey greaser is an engine room hand. There were usually about 6 on a 10,000 ton ship. They looked after the engine room, cleaning and oiling and boiler watch etc. at sea. In port they looked after the cargo winches, generators , boilers etc.

ATB

Laurie
Old 8th October 2018, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Ridyard View Post
A donkey greaser is an engine room hand. There were usually about 6 on a 10,000 ton ship. They looked after the engine room, cleaning and oiling and boiler watch etc. at sea. In port they looked after the cargo winches, generators , boilers etc.

ATB

Laurie
thank you Laurie
would this job by new sailor or would you work up to become donkey greaser.
also why it called a donkey greaser. .
Old 8th October 2018, 15:11
Active: 1959 - 1976

Quote:
thank you Laurie
would this job by new sailor or would you work up to become donkey greaser.
also why it called a donkey greaser. .

As far as I am aware, a donkey greaser starts off as a junior engine room rating. For further information see Maritime and Coastguard Agency- Careers at sea- Ratings.

A Donkey Greaser is also sometimes referred to as a Donkeyman. The terms comes from the days when auxiliary engines were called donkey engines.

ATB

Laurie
Old 8th October 2018, 18:35
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

I don't know about donkey greaser but I did think Donkeyman was a senior rating along with Storekeeper.
Old 8th October 2018, 21:43
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

Donkey Greaser, Donkeyman, Fireman, Greaser, Oiler, Tail Wallah, Ag Wallah, Panni Wallah, I was confused 48 years ago and am still not sure.

On small yachts ( 40 ft or less) the engine is called the Donkey and if you run out of wind you "Donk" back to the marina. And have a couple of G&T's.
Old 8th October 2018, 22:17
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1970 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post

On small yachts ( 40 ft or less) the engine is called the Donkey and if you run out of wind you "Donk" back to the marina. And have a couple of G&T's.
Some call it the mechanical jib, or spinnaker, etc.
Old 9th October 2018, 00:12

Hopefully this may throw a bit more light on the subject, a Donkeyman looks after the Donkey Engine (an official term) with feeds water to a Donkey boiler, which is a boiler fitted specially for supplying steam for winches, dynamos, etc whilst vessel is in port. It replaces one of the main boilers whilst in port so that the main boiler can be shut down for maintenance purposes, or just to conserve fuel.

A Donkey greaser will normally start off as a peggy (dogs body) working as a messroom boy and normally then decide whether he wants to go on deck or down the engineroom, if he cannot distinquish colours, red green and white he is virtually no use on deck, as these are essential for reporting lights at night when on lookout. If he goes the engineroom route he becomes, a wiper or cleaner, tasked with keeping the engineroom floor plates and store rooms clean, not been allowed near any moving parts, after some time (weeks/months) he comes a wiper/oiler (on motor ships) or a donkey/greaser on steam ships, his duties are supporting the engineer on watch on what ever the engineer needs, but mainly ensuring that all visible moving parts are lubricated on a routine set out by the engineer.

Not all Donkey greasers want to become promoted to Donkeymen as their time off in port is limited, because of the nature of their duties, and a vessel in the 40's and 50's would carry about 10/12 ratings down the engineroom and only one donkeyman, so promotion prospects were low/slow