Blue Star thru and thru - Ships Nostalgia
01:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Blue Star thru and thru

User Tag List

Old 27th February 2006, 20:54
Capt. Peter J Newton

Blue Star thru and thru

Have just joined this website and would like to say hello to you all. I've worked for Blue Star all my life and have sailed as master for some 15 years now. Of course, Blue Star was bought out by P&O Nedlloyd some years ago, which was itself bought out by Maersk at the end of last year. However, at this moment in time I'm still sailing under a Blue Star funnel which cannot be bad after almost 40 years at sea.
Safe sailing to you all.
Old 27th February 2006, 21:06
Administrator

My location
welcome to SN peter
Old 27th February 2006, 21:15
Organisation: Coastguard
Active: 2001 - Present

Welcome aboard Cap'n Pete. Enjoy the site. Warning, it is addictive!

Skol
CED
Old 27th February 2006, 23:24

My location
Greetings Cap'n and welcome to SN.

Here you will find a knowledgeable crowd and some good banter. Nice to see you have completed a profile.

Watch out as it is addictive!

Brian
Old 27th February 2006, 23:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Welcome Cap't pete... aye ye be joining a good ship here my harty.. aye jimmy jim jim
Old 28th February 2006, 00:16

My location
A warm welcome Cap't pete,with all these years at sea I'm sure you will have some great photos and experiences to share with us and we look forward to them. I hope you enjoy the site.
Old 28th February 2006, 08:08

My location
Welcome to SN, Cap'n Pete. Not many Blue Star funnels left, so enjoy while they last! Look forward to hearing of some of your experiences.
Old 28th February 2006, 08:50

Welcome aboard Capn Pete from another Blue Star afficinado although not as many years of experence as yourself, still have many happy memories.
Regards, Brian.
Old 28th February 2006, 10:39

welcome to the site pete worked on some blue star ships on the tyne beautiful ships great lines.
cheers tom
Old 28th February 2006, 11:04
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
Have just joined this website and would like to say hello to you all. I've worked for Blue Star all my life and have sailed as master for some 15 years now. Of course, Blue Star was bought out by P&O Nedlloyd some years ago, which was itself bought out by Maersk at the end of last year. However, at this moment in time I'm still sailing under a Blue Star funnel which cannot be bad after almost 40 years at sea.
Safe sailing to you all.
Not many members can say that but can garauntee you will sail under SN for a further 40 years
Old 28th February 2006, 11:19
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome Captain Peter to the SN site enjoy it and all it has to offer. A fellow captain of yours and and a friend of mind crossed the bar a short time ago Captain Paul Stevens.
Old 28th February 2006, 11:51

My location
Welcome aboard rom Italy
Gp
Old 28th February 2006, 14:21
LEFO

Did you ever sail with Capt Kinghorn
Old 28th February 2006, 17:58
Capt. Peter J Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobmal
Did you ever sail with Capt Kinghorn
I sailed as Chief Officer with Sandy Kinghorn on HMT Keren, a troopship. We carried squaddies to and from The Falkland Islands after the war in 1982.

Sandy was an excellent master (still is, as far as I know) and a good shipmate. However, his book "Before the Box Boats" wasn't my cup of tea.
Old 4th April 2007, 16:28

Hi Capt. Pete, Sailed on quite a few Blue Star ships in the early seventies and remember vividly their funnels standing out like a beacon when returning aboard when slightly innebriated. welcome aboard. hootsmon
Old 4th April 2007, 17:40

Anyone remember a Capt Peter Daniel (Birkenhead man). Left Blue Star abt 87.
Old 2nd July 2007, 06:29

My location
i sailed on the rangatira and the keren,not true blue star ships, but still had a few blue star men on board, doe,s anybody remember captain brownbill, and what his nickname,behind his back was !!!!!
Old 2nd July 2007, 08:51

I wonder if anyone has bought the Blue Star funnel patent? I'm surprised Scottish & Newcastle breweries hadn't taken it. The blue star we see on 'Blue Star Reefers' of today would have any 'Old' BS man going mad, a very poor imitation. A great funnel on great ships but like most of the 'British' MN, GONE.

Last edited by Pat McCardle; 2nd July 2007 at 08:57..
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:35
Capt. Peter J Newton

P&O Nedlloyd bought the "marque" when they bought out Blue Star container ships. The famous Blue Star funnel still remains on two Maersk container ships including my own, the "Jervis Bay"; however, I might be wrong on that because the ship is presently in drydock in Hong Kong and I'm not sure it they were going to paint it out - I'll find out when I rejoin in two weeks.

The company name is in use by my vessel owners "Reederei Blue Star" who continue to use the Blue Star flag, although all our ships are under charter to Maersk (who are the parent company, although the ships are all owned by German dentists and the like). Complicated I know, but at least the Blue Star flag is still flying on British-flag ships.

The MN may be not as big as it was, but it's far from GONE.
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:40
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCardle View Post
I wonder if anyone has bought the Blue Star funnel patent? I'm surprised Scottish & Newcastle breweries hadn't taken it. The blue star we see on 'Blue Star Reefers' of today would have any 'Old' BS man going mad, a very poor imitation. A great funnel on great ships but like most of the 'British' MN, GONE.
Pat
It would be a shame to see it dissapear as if its not the most famous funnel mark in the British Merchant Navy its in the top three
Old 2nd July 2007, 18:57

I heard a story, years ago, that some US company had put in a big offer for the colours, this when BS had a decent fleet too?

Peter, I said 'British' MN I take it you sail with a full British crew? The flag may be British but it ends there. As for Reederei Blue Star, they must have bought the logo.

Last edited by Pat McCardle; 2nd July 2007 at 19:14..
Old 2nd July 2007, 19:20
Capt. Peter J Newton

I never heard of a US company wanting the Blue Star marque but there may well have done. Certainly, P&O Nedlloyd bought the Blue Star container ships in order to get a foothold in the USA.

You're right Pat that we no longer have full British crews, but then the international composition of my crew is little different from where I live in the English Midlands. In my home town more than 50% of the residents are non-British and the percentage increases every year. At least my crew do not avail themselves of our housing, social security and national health services.

Those of us who remain at sea like to consider that we retain, in a small way, some of the traditions and ethics of the Merchant Navy. We may be kidding ourselves but I would like to think that all is not lost.

Last edited by Cap'n Pete; 2nd July 2007 at 19:23..
Old 2nd July 2007, 19:30

Unfortunately, Peter, it is hard to take to see the British Red Ensign used, or should that be abused, but? As long as we have the likes of yourself setting an example of the tradions & ethics of what we once were then hopefully that will be picked up & learned by others & hopefully passed on from there? We live in hope.
Old 3rd July 2007, 15:05

Cap'n Pete

I sailed with you on Hoegh Duke and Southland Star - you were Mate then, Captain Wilson was the Old Man.

Come on, the story of the yank company once offering a large sum of money for the rights to the Blue Star funnel were well known among all, apparently this offer took place maybe 50s, 60s or even earlier. I believe the unique funnel colours and design was generated by a Yankee school girl in some sort of competition, a long time ago.

By the way, i disagree with you about Captain Kinghorn's book "before the box boats" it's a great read for both those that have sailed on, or wish to know about life on Genearl Cargo ships.

Lastly, do you have any pictures from your time on Hoegh Duke, parking on them posh cars in the hold - i think it was in Kuishung Taiwan?

Safe sailing.

Mick S
Old 3rd July 2007, 21:17
Capt. Peter J Newton

Nice to hear from you Mike.

Not sure what I said about Sandy Kinghorn's book, if anything. Anyway, I'm not qualified to voice an opinion as I only read a part of it. He carried loads of copies on the HMT Keren when we were sailing to the Falkland Islands; he was trying to sell them to the squaddies without too much success. I was rather hoping that he'd give me a copy in return for all the little extra duties he had me doing which were not quite in my job description but it was not to be.

Sorry, but I do not have any photographs of the Hoegh Duke; I've only recently got into taking photographs at sea which is a shame really considering I've been at sea for over 40 years now.

Glad to see you've done well Mike and my very best wishes.