Satellite TV Installation - Ships Nostalgia
04:28

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Satellite TV Installation

User Tag List

Old 19th September 2013, 11:48

Satellite TV Installation

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the following situation.
Yesterday, we had satellite TV installed (bungalow). On completion, everything was working fine and the outside wiring looked neat enough and was stapled to the wall where it exited the house and disappeared onto the roof, emerging at the other end of the roof and stapled across the front wall to the dish.
After they had gone, I put my ladder up to see how it was fixed to the roof. I was dismayed to see that the twin co-ax cables were laid along the “inside” of the gutter (45 feet in length). The gutter was blocked (as they often are) and the cables were under water and mud! I lifted them out and they are now hanging in a great loop underneath the gutter with an estimated 12 feet of unnecessary cable length. With plastic barge boards and a good roof overhang, there is no reason why the cables should not be stapled underneath out of the weather. On phoning the company, I was told it was “standard practice” to lay cables in gutters because their engineers were not insured to staple them to the walls. When I pointed out they had stapled them to the front of the house at a height of about 15 feet, I was told to contact the engineer who did it! I did, only to get the usual “leave your number after the tone!” Whether he phones back is open to debate, but I was just wondering if this sort of thing is standard practice. I could fix it myself in half an hour or so, having no great fear of working at a height of seven feet and only being 69 years old! Your views on this appreciated.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 19th September 2013, 12:07

Yes indeed,
Qualified 1960, left the sea in late 1992.
Can't help feeling electricity & water don't mix, especially in gutters where birds are constantly pecking away at the mud and might open the insulation!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 19th September 2013, 12:26

I knew where the satellite is from looking at other dishes. It couldn't go behind because the house is in the way. It couldn't go on the sides because trees are in the way. It had to be on the front. I didn't want it at ground level in case someone cleared off with it, or damaged it!
There is no problem as far as I am concerned I am just going through the correct channels before doing it myself. But I don't want them to be in a position of saying I messed about with the installation, thereby voiding the guarantee!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships

Last edited by Shipbuilder; 19th September 2013 at 12:27.. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 19th September 2013, 12:37
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Hi All
The thing to remember is that the satellite box feeds the power supply to the Low Noise Amp (LNA or sometimes LNB) in the Dish. So I would have thought that laying the cable deliverately in lying water was a none starter, even if it is claimed to be common practice.

Best Wishes

Alan
Old 19th September 2013, 12:43

There was no reason to believe it would be such a mess. It was done by a major satellite TV firm that I will not name. We only got TV because it came with a package when our previous internet server was taken over a few weeks ago. The dish, installation, box etc were free! I was just wondering if it was standard procedure. Looking at other houses, I see lots of loose loops all over the place. I never paid much attention in the past. I suspected that the 2nd cable would carry the power supply.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 19th September 2013, 12:48

I was a Sat TV installer for a while. We usually ran the cable inside the roof space. Some installations were so time consuming they weren't worth the flat rate fee. Don't worry about the water, if it conks out, call them back and they'll have to fix it (you might have to put it back how they left it though, otherwise they could say you broke it).

Nothing simple about ground mounted dishes unless you like digging trenches.

I was asked by about 200 customers: "Does it get any interference?" I always answered: "Because it comes in from Outer Space, you could experience interference from Uranus." Only 2 customers ever got that. I think that shows the quality of person who watches Sat TV - absolute load of sh*te.

I'm sure you, Shipbuilder, will soon realise what a load of rubbish it is and get it removed.

John T
Old 19th September 2013, 13:33

As it came free with the package, it might as well stay! The advantage I see so far is that we can record straight into the box (250gb) and it does away with the video and filling up disks. As it picks up all the old channels, plus a lot more, even the odd good program is a bonus. Operating it seems simple enough. I still don't like the idea of the cable in the gutter and if they don't come and staple it to the wall before long, I will do it myself! I am amazed that there is about 12 feet of excess cable. Would coiling it into a loop of about 3 foot diameter affect the signal? This just to get rid of the excess length!
They still haven't phoned back.
Generally, we don't watch a lot of TV, but it is nice to have something stored if we do want to watch something. On the normal channels, we can go for days without anything worth watching!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 19th September 2013, 14:20
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 1970

I wouldn't worry about it. There are millions of power cables buried in the ground, or signal cables suspended in the weather or down water filled ducts, or even a few thousand feet under the oceans. As long as someone is not likely to come and drop anchor over your gutter, I would leave well alone!
Old 19th September 2013, 14:34

The sheathing on coax cable is supposed to be weather proof, I would say that some of the fully exposed installations with extremes of weather are more vulnerable than being supported in the bottom of a, preferably clean, gutter.
Much better practice to clip it below though.
Another way to go is to get some mini plastic ducting (with a snap lid) and run that in the corner between the wall and soffit.

Birds would not be my primary concern - rodents, including squirrels are more prone to 'attack' exposed cables than birds. I have even seen squirrel damage to lead flashing!

The two cables both carry a signal down line and power to the LNB up line. You have a double LNB; this enables you to watch one programme and record another at the same time, or similar permutation.

Coiling excess cable is not a problem, large loops better - I have done it with no noticeable effects.
Old 19th September 2013, 14:42
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
I too live in a bungalow and watch Freesat. The feeder cables go from the sitting room, out through the external wall and run up alongside the brick chimney stack. The dish is not fitted high up the stack as I had anticipated but sits just above the guttering in the angle between the stack and the pitched roof. I was amazed that it got a signal because it is well below the ridge of the roof and the satellite is at a low elevation behind that ridge. So the dish seems to be pointing straight at the roof tiles, just a few degrees above the horizontal.

But, against all odds (in light of my time as an R/O) we get a cracking picture. Mind you, the feeder cables don't run horizontal in any water at any stage!

Good luck.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 19th September 2013, 15:01

Thanks for all the replies. We do have a lot of squirrels around here and they are often running about on the roof! If I left the cables in the gutter, I may even damage them myself when cleaning it out! It is really no problem to move it under the eaves. I have got a packet of 50 double coax clamps identical to the ones they use. If they don't come back, I will staple the cable along the wall from each end and when I finish up with a loop in the middle, I will coil it loosely and secure it to the wall. There will be no danger of them blaming me in the future, because it is unlikely that they will remember it after a few days and it will not go faulty in that time. The side it is on is only a narrow passageway divided by a tall fence from next door and even the gate at the end is permanently bolted shut, so no-one will be able to see the great loop in the middle!
Laying it in the gutter, I have no idea how they ended up with 12 feet excess!. If they had cut it more precisely, I would not have been able to move it lower down.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 19th September 2013, 17:25
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
[QUOTE
Generally, we don't watch a lot of TV, but it is nice to have something stored if we do want to watch something. On the normal channels, we can go for days without anything worth watching!
Bob[/QUOTE]

Bob, you got the right idea.
My wife and I hardly ever watch live tv these days. She records all our favourites, especially some of the old quality stuff they don't seem to produce anymore. We then enjoy a good evenings tv setting our own schedule.
The twin cables are required for two separate signals so that you can watch and record at the same time, for example SKY+
Neatly coiling the cable won't upset the signal.

Happy viewing

Alan
Old 19th September 2013, 18:07
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1985

In regard to the 'excess' cable could you not pull the cable 'indoors' until the loop was now taut and then cutting the cable to the required length and reattaching the screw co-ax fitting ? I have an embedded co-ax under the floor (before having the floors re-tiled) so I could move the TV set etc., to other sites within the room when rearranging the furniture layout and have numerous connections all of which function perfectly.

Jim
Old 19th September 2013, 18:43

I just googled "coaxial cable in gutter" and found others who got the same service.PS And there was a photo of a coaxial cable running along the inside of the gutter.

Last edited by cueball44; 19th September 2013 at 19:05..
Old 19th September 2013, 19:13

Talking

Yes,
I also Googled co-ax cable in gutter and found numerous references to this strange practice. Also noted a large number of "installation engineers" coming out with "Perfectly OK - good, neat job" blah blah blah, "whingeing pensioners!"
I give up!
Bob
PS
He never did return the phone call!
PPS
Yes, I could pull the cable indoors after stapling it to the wall properly, but I really think they should do it! Also, I don't want the hassle of cutting the cable and re-attaching the plug in case I get the expected "Look what you've done, you've messed about with it - guarantee null & void!"
They can't say much if I just neatly staple the excess to the wall. If they don't like that - "hello watchdog!"

Miniature Merchant Ships

Last edited by Shipbuilder; 19th September 2013 at 19:16..
Old 19th September 2013, 19:22
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Bob, I should imagine that you are far more qualified and competent to change a co-ax plug than the installer ever would be.

It is a pity these "people" masquerade under the title "Engineer" or pretend to be tradesmen.

Incidentally if your sat dish ever needs realigning there is an android app called Satfinder that works really well.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 19th September 2013, 19:32

It will be interesting to see what happens next. I already have the "how did we do with then installation?" e-mail survey, but will give them a few days before filling it in
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 19th September 2013, 19:37

An 'F' type connector is not really a plug in the accepted sense - It is just basically a threaded sleeve that you screw (self tap) onto the end of a prepared cable.
(Always put a kink in the exposed centre core to make a good contact).

Any idiot can do it - and they frequently do by all accounts.
Old 20th September 2013, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
A good satellite installer would use crimp-on F connector plugs not the idiot-style screw type.
Here's one who gets the best of both worlds.

http://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/refe...ug-ct100.shtml
Absolutely correct but I was assuming, on the evidence, that this installer would use screw on.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:16
Active: 1961 - 1966

My location
Getting a bit boring this!
Old 20th September 2013, 10:45

Quote:
Expats throughout the world depend on satellite for their daily input of news.
What load of rubbish are you actually referring to?
What, the world according to Murdoch? No thanks. Don't try to kid me, I know you've got it to watch Coronation Street - the world's first Man Free Soapie.

John T
Old 20th September 2013, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvina View Post
Getting a bit boring this!
Is somebody forcing you to read it?

John T
Old 20th September 2013, 11:11
Active: 1961 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Is somebody forcing you to read it?

John T
No but my satellite dish has blown off the wall! lol.
Old 20th September 2013, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvina View Post
No but my satellite dish has blown off the wall! lol.
Don't worry, you're not missing anything. Best thing would be to pick it up and use it as a wok - but don't cook any of that foreign muck in it. Best thing would be to get some ideas from one of the hundred cooking shows on telly .... oh sorry. Has next door got Sat TV?

John T
Old 20th September 2013, 11:38

Quote:
As always the inane response with no substance unless it has some hidden connotation.
Murdoch/Coronation Street?
Shows you how much you know about world-wide satellite.
Stay cocooned in Uranus and let the rest of the solar system run free.
Funny how my inane responses alway draw out a supercillious reply from you. What's happening down the Rovers these days?

John T