Greenpeace Vessel Boarded - Ships Nostalgia
19:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Greenpeace Vessel Boarded

User Tag List

Old 20th September 2013, 08:32
Department: Deck

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24170129
Old 20th September 2013, 10:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 1966

My location
Good! It's about time these tree hugging activists realised that not everyone agrees with them and their blatant flouting of the law in the name of conservation.
A spell in a Siberian gulag may change their outlook.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:59
user
Department: Navigation
Active: 1974 - 1991

So the Russians using armed force in illegally boarding a vessel in international waters in fine then?
Old 20th September 2013, 11:03

Yer, ****ing luvvies! No doubt Putin is taking his shirt off as I write and getting ready to ride out to the rig on a jetski and bite their greenie eyes out.

By the way, does anyone know if those noisy, polluting jetskis were invented by the famous Commie, Mr Jetski?

John T
Old 20th September 2013, 11:07

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scelerat View Post
So the Russians using armed force in illegally boarding a vessel in international waters in fine then?
No worse than the tree huggers interfering with someone operating legally in selfsame waters.
Old 20th September 2013, 11:43
user

I can't see any reference to Greenpeace activists using firearms, or illegally holding people prisoner at gun point, or did I, perhaps, miss it?

Last edited by Scelerat; 20th September 2013 at 12:07..
Old 20th September 2013, 13:25

Trespass is a crime. They trespassed and got caught. Simple as that.

Saying Greenpeace should not be held accountable for attempting an unauthorized boarding, getting caught and detained.. is like saying pirates trying to board a ship should not be caught and detained.

Last edited by doyll; 20th September 2013 at 13:29..
Old 20th September 2013, 13:31
user

The unarmed Greenpeace people who boarded the Russian platform illegally were arrested. A legal act.
The pirates in this case appear to be the armed Russians who boarded the Greenpeace vessel in international waters and seized the crew at gunpoint. An illegal act by anyone's terms.
Old 20th September 2013, 15:05
Department: Electrician
Active: 1970 - 1997

While sympathizing with their aims, i do feel that Greenpeace and Save the Whale are breaching the bounds of normal protest action. I suppose the oil rig in question, although in international waters, was within Russia's economic zone of 200nm. Even though unarmed, they have attempted to board it. This has a lot of relevance out here in the Far East, where Filipino fishermen are now prevented from fishing at Scarborough Reef by Chinese patrol boats. What would we think if Greenpeace decided to board oil rigs off Shetland? In fact, why don't they?
Old 20th September 2013, 15:56

My location
What would we think if Greenpeace decided to board oil rigs off Shetland? In fact, why don't they?[/QUOTE]

They did attach themselves to the anchor cables of one of the oil related vessels in Lerwick harbour last year but received short shrift and no local sympathy.
Old 20th September 2013, 16:37
Active: 1964 - 1995

Quote:
The unarmed Greenpeace people who boarded the Russian platform illegally were arrested. A legal act.
The pirates in this case appear to be the armed Russians who boarded the Greenpeace vessel in international waters and seized the crew at gunpoint. An illegal act by anyone's terms.
I's almost a logical copy of any UK law, although set on a maritime stage. If a genuine threat to safety or life was caused, then reasonable and proportionate force can be used to stop/avoid this.

The fact that guns were carried is neither here nor there - it is just an attention getter. We hear all the time of Middle Eastern police/troops deploying weapons against mobs, and according to the Guardianisters is a terrible, inhumane action. It is of course allowable in Britain and anywhere else, if lives are in danger. The fact that the opposing side are only carrying clubs does not mean that they cannot kill you! They are not stupid ( I would imagine) so must now appreciate the real world and not the cossetted world that seemingly they imagine they live in. I await to see the attitudes on 'fracking) when the lights start going out.

LouisB.

Last edited by LouisB; 20th September 2013 at 16:45..
Old 20th September 2013, 16:49
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Quote:
Sorry, if these were Somalis (their piracy cannot be in question) would you stop at arresting the intruders only or go for the mothership? - actually we would probably stop at the intruders or perhaps hand them back. The Russians don't there and I see no reason why they should here either. Just because they are behaving like alimentary waste over Syria does not make them wrong here too.
Old 20th September 2013, 17:04
user

So armed Russians illegally boarding a vessel in international waters is fine with you all?
Old 20th September 2013, 17:24
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Quote:
So armed Russians illegally boarding a vessel in international waters is fine with you all?
Let me try again. Is the villains' getaway vehicle exempt from pursuit simply because the crooks waiting outside did not enter the robbed bank? I certainly think not. Because waters are 'international' does not make them lawless. Increasingly wanting of a policeman, yes but without laws, no.
Old 20th September 2013, 18:23
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
If you go within a few hundred meters circle from a rig here in the north sea, doesn't all hell break loose? Why should it be any different up there in the Russian waters? Greenpeace lost their cred a long time ago ( in my opinion ).
Old 20th September 2013, 18:42
Active: 1962 - 1964

Quote:
So armed Russians legally boarding a vessel in international waters is fine with you all?
Yes . .
Old 20th September 2013, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by China hand View Post
If you go within a few hundred meters circle from a rig here in the north sea, doesn't all hell break loose? Why should it be any different up there in the Russian waters? Greenpeace lost their cred a long time ago ( in my opinion ).
AWACS is watching over you in the North Sea.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 20th September 2013, 19:36

Obviously they didn't do their homework, Ruskies don't do PC, a habit going back the best part of a century. I suppose any advertising is good advertising but the target audience is wearying with the self righteousness of Greenpeace. they do have some good points but boy, do they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Just a thought, but where does their fuel oil and petrol come from? Not their own back yard. Obviously.
Old 20th September 2013, 20:16
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Quote:
I think you have missed the point again ! Greenpeace were trying to board the Russian vessel .
The Russians defended this action and because it was an exclusion zone had every right to arrest the culprits when they returned to their vessel . When will they ever learn ??

Idiots . Got the press they wanted and so in a sense they have made their point .
Don't try to defend those who break the law of the sea . In days gone bye they would have been rightly considered pirates and dealt with by the laws at that time in place which would require hanging .
Old 20th September 2013, 20:18
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
If you support this type of action no doubt you will think that Somali pirates are OK .
Old 20th September 2013, 20:31
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvina View Post
Good! It's about time these tree hugging activists realised that not everyone agrees with them and their blatant flouting of the law in the name of conservation.
A spell in a Siberian gulag may change their outlook.
I am a long-standing member of Greenpeace and grateful for what these brave young people do. Drilling in the Arctic is very different from drilling in the North Sea, and a danger to the fragile environment.
Old 20th September 2013, 20:42
Active: 1977 - 1989

You are entitled to your opinion but please remember it is just that - your opininion - and one not shared by very many I fancy.
Old 20th September 2013, 21:30
Active: 1955 - 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger View Post
If you support this type of action no doubt you will think that Somali pirates are OK .
no comparison Somali pirates like oil companies going for the money, green peace volunteers attempting to save the environment in spite of all the idiots who haven't the nous to see beyond their nose ends.

get real
Old 20th September 2013, 21:39

The Somali pirates were once fishermen whose fishing grounds were emptied by the French and Spanish and as such I have a little sympathy. Turning to piracy was a desperate attempt to stay alive. A very different scenario.
Old 20th September 2013, 22:22
user

The Greenpeace people who boarded the platform were arrested, on the platform, legally. Not for criminal activity, but for civil offences. The Russian "security" people, who, until recently were part of the KGB, then illegally boarded a vessel in international waters, carrying guns, and illegally arrested people who had not personally taken part in any illegal activity. The greenpeace people onboard had not taken part in or carried out any action that could be described as illegal or criminal, yet you people seem to think that the Russians are perfectly justified in their actions.
Perhaps the use of language like "treehuggers" betrays your prejudices. The comparison of Greenpeace activity with piracy is an odious one. The only behaviour in this situation that bears comparison with piracy is that of the illegal actions carried out by the Russians.