Call centre phone call - Ships Nostalgia
22:00

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Call centre phone call

User Tag List

Old 2nd January 2015, 07:57
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - Present

Thumbs down Call centre phone call

Have only had a land line phone for a week or so and very few people know the number, certainly no businesses. Just had a call from a very foreign voice (Indian, Pakistani or maybe Phillipino at a guess) from obviously outside South Africa somewhere in the world, saying an error report is being generated by my computer. Needless to say he was POLITELY told to go away. How did they get my number? I didn't give him a chance to get into his spiel so I don't know what he was trying to con. They must get a list of new numbersor have an automatic number generator. Any ideas?
Old 2nd January 2015, 08:06
Active: 1950 - 1990

I usually tell them I don't have a computer, in fact I deny I even have a telephone..... then I hang up, They never seem to ring back.
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:07

The Company who installed the line know the number and subsriber, they have a database which 'should not' be universally accessible, but it is.
The 'Microsoft support' con seem to have access to rather more than a random number generator.
They were originally based in Kolkata and are still mainly in India as far as anyone can tell.

The idea is to persuade you to give remote access to your PC and then they shut it down and ask for a fee to 'repair' or re-open it.

If I have the time I try to wind them up - the longest so far is about 14 minutes. While they are wasting time on me they are not getting any real victims.
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:19
Active: 1955 - Present

Thanks for that information. I am now ready for the next one and I will see if I can beat your record.
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:29

Long before cell phones I had a visit from a young lady who presented herself as coming from "The Telephone Hygiene Office" and wanted to examine and wash my telephone. I did not believe a word of that but opened the door, invited her in, and watched her wash my telephone, after which I followed her to the door. Now what in the world was she after? I could guess she was doing some reconnaissance, looking for the old and weak with money or valuables. And for that I got a shiny telephone. Strange.
Old 2nd January 2015, 12:39
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
The Microsoft Windows scam is now also operating out of Eastern Europe, the last call received was from there and if I have the time I string them along for a while and then tell them where to go......

Cheers Frank
Old 2nd January 2015, 13:00
Department: Engineering
Active: 1978 - Present

My location
Managed 22 minutes with the Indian Micro$oft conmen once, just to see how far I could get with the b**gers - but usually they just get the Foxtrot Oscar treatment...
Old 2nd January 2015, 13:05
Active: 1965 - 1983

Offshore call centres are a proverbial pain in the but.We can stop the cold calling from UK call centres.I have had calls about computer problems bank refunds and every possible scam out there.I tend to loose the head with them and must admit the language is rather choice.One persistent caller from the indian sub continent called five nights on the trot in the end I congratulated him on his excellant grasp of the english language to which he said that they prided themselves in that centre on thier english skills.My reply to that was what part of fxxxoff do you not under stand
Old 2nd January 2015, 13:50

You can keep them on the phone for as long as you like but they will not go away because, most of the time they are different callers and, sometimes, they are robotic calls. We, in Barcelona, get a lot of them. Find out if it is anyone you know, ie. family, friend etc. If not, hang up. They are a waste iof time.

Unfortunately, they are a fact of life in today's world,

A lot of them profess to be expert at investing your money. That is the danger of talking to them for any length of time. Don't do it----hang up.
Old 2nd January 2015, 13:55

A couple of months ago I bought and installed a BT8500 advanced call blocker telephone.
Brilliant piece of kit. Haven't had a nuisance call since.
£45 from Amazon
Old 2nd January 2015, 14:10

There is the Telephone Preference Service which is supposed to prevent cold canvas calls originating in the UK.
It is about as effective as hiding under the kitchen table in a thermonuclear conflagration.

When one receives a cold call the onus is on you to take full details of the caller and report each call.

The one that caused me to laugh out loud at the caller was the person who tried to sell me a gadget to stop cold calls - using a cold call to do so!
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:02
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1983

I enjoy receiving these calls. I see them as a great source of amusement and challenge as to how long I can keep them on the line. The best part however is when they state my computer is running slow or whatever. I usually sound so relieved that someone has noticed and play them along and then stop them in their tracks by asking which computer. If its is the accident claim line I use a similar tactic. Play along and them and then ask which accident, "I have had a couple in the last year both of which have problems." The just play them the same way a cat plays with a mouse. Enjoy the experience! My best one was one company wanted to speak with my wife so I ask them to hold on while I call her. Put the phone down open and close a few doors, mumble then return to the phone explaining that my wife is just finishing off in the lower rose garden and could they wait? Then a short time later I go back to the phone and explain that my wife says this call is important to her and could they hold on. Usually by the third of fourth time they have hung up. Well done G0SLP, 22 minutes is excellent, I really must try harder.
Old 2nd January 2015, 17:29

"Hello, can I speak to Mr Shaw?"

Mr. Shaw "No", replace receiver.
Old 2nd January 2015, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
"Hello, can I speak to Mr Shaw?"

Mr. Shaw "No", replace receiver.
If I am minded not to chat to them then they often present me with an advantage - Most people from anywhere east of Europe cannot pronounce my name correctly. All I need to say is "No one of that name here" and hang up. It's not nearly as much fun though.
Old 2nd January 2015, 22:13
Department: Electrician
Active: 1962 - 1978

On the same lines as GRHH. I say "hold on I will get them" and put the phone down. go back after 25 minutes or so and they have usually given up.
Old 3rd January 2015, 08:00
Active: 1958 - 1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
The Microsoft Windows scam is now also operating out of Eastern Europe, the last call received was from there and if I have the time I string them along for a while and then tell them where to go......

Cheers Frank
Had a call a couple of nights ago from some kind of Western Oriental Gentleman that wanted to fix my windows. I told him my windows were in perfectly good repair, but if he wanted to drop over to clean them I would be much obliged. He actually hung up on me!!
Old 3rd January 2015, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Gibson View Post
On the same lines as GRHH. I say "hold on I will get them" and put the phone down. go back after 25 minutes or so and they have usually given up.
Trouble with that is for 25 minutes nobody else can ring you. There could be a Nigerian trying to get through with an enticing offer.

John T
Old 3rd January 2015, 21:50

I have caller ID, but this is not much help when you have someone well abroad who might call anytime with possible problems, that is why I hate them.
Old 4th January 2015, 13:06

Telephone

I seem to remember that at some time there was a lady came
and used to clean and sterilize Phones. It was an Office belonging
Community Care Company.
Old 4th January 2015, 19:46
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Clark8 View Post
I seem to remember that at some time there was a lady came
and used to clean and sterilize Phones. It was an Office belonging
Community Care Company.
Telephone Sanitizing Service. Run by the G.P.O. before the telephone system was hived off. I can recall a lady wearing a chocolate brown coat (standard issue) carrying an attaché case which contained her cleaning equipment. This was in the firm I was employed by. I also think that the public telephone boxes were cleaned too.
Old 4th January 2015, 22:04

A few years ago, when I did a lot of nightshifts, I often used to see a bloke cleaning telephone boxes, phones, etc. I had a chat with him once and he had a contract with Telecom or someone. Nowadays, he probably just drives around looking for a phone box - a rarity these days, maybe they've all gone to Gallifrey.

John T
Old 4th January 2015, 22:33
Department: Electrician
Active: 1962 - 1978

John,
The one about a possible call from Nigeria reminds me. After Nigeria did not do very well in the last world cup, the president wanted to reimburse all the fans who had travelled to see them. All they had to do was email him their bank account details and pin numbers. He would do the rest.
Take care
Les
Old 4th January 2015, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Gibson View Post
John,
The one about a possible call from Nigeria reminds me. After Nigeria did not do very well in the last world cup, the president wanted to reimburse all the fans who had travelled to see them. All they had to do was email him their bank account details and pin numbers. He would do the rest.
Take care
Les
No wonder they call him Goodwill Jonathon, what a guy!

John T
Old 5th January 2015, 00:41
Active: 1976 - Present

Really annoy me them lot no end especially early evening when i'm having 40 winks after dinner so they usually get a Foxtrot Oscar or Papa Oscar!