Silver Jubilee - 1977 - Ships Nostalgia
17:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Silver Jubilee - 1977

User Tag List

Old 7th January 2015, 11:09
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Silver Jubilee - 1977

Apologies if I am duplicating this topic .. but I have just been given a copy of the Spithead Naval Review Silver Jubilee 1977 souvenir programme for the flagship British Respect and I wondered if Graham or anyone else had a crew list for the time of this event?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jubilee-1977.jpg (113.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 7th January 2015, 21:55
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Derek,

I do have a copy of that Spithead Review you show, but darned if I can locate it at present. However crew list is as follows.

Respect, June 1977, Spithead Review Crew.

Commodore, A Davis.
CO, SR Montague.
2O, MC Bowen.
3O’s, CR Renton, S Tuck
DC’s; MP Fawke, ME Bradshaw, JP Mawson, KJ Pape, S Clarke, D Horsburgh, SJ Pollock, HN Gates
RO, A Williams, 2RO, HFJ Sharkey
CE, TJ Smith
2E’s, ES Whitley, NJW Davidson
3E, SJ Fish
4E, I Bowers
JE’s; PS Hopcroft, PJ Baker, GJ Powrie
Elect; SM Woolverton, R Harris, CE Wilkes
Cat/O, WR Elliott
C/Ck, ARJ Pring
2/Ck/B, R Paddison
2/S’s; RK Henry, J McClymont,
A/S’s; FJ Clark, T McAteer
Cat/Boy, J Davidson
CPO, GRM Cowie
PO’s; PW Collingwood, RP Kennet, WJ Haire
GP1’s; WK Templeton, NM Evans, K Ackerman, JA Pickston, SJ Hughes, SL Higglesdon, CW Moore
GP2; SM BIzzell
GP3; SJ Davis
Old 8th January 2015, 04:21

Spithead Royal Review 1953.

Whilst digging around to find my copy of the 1977 Royal Review I came across some really old Navigating Apprentices’ Newsletters in a binder taken off the Poplar just before she was scrapped in 1985. The first issue in the binder is Volume III #10 1953 the Coronation year.

That issue was before the first of the Engineering Apprentices (1952 intake) even went to sea. The next issue Volume III #11 is the first issue of the combined Navigating and Engineering Apprentices’ newsletter and is included in the binder.

However in the #10 issue is a section titled ,”Off Watch” which is an article written by Navigating Apprentice JAS Hawkins about his experiences on the British Sailor in the 1953 Coronation Spithead Review.

The Royal Yacht was HMS Surprise, which is a ‘surprise’; evidently the Britannia was not built?

The BP Commodore of the Day was aboard the Sailor (I do not know who he was) and the Steam tug Zurmand was in attendance bringing visiting dignitaries and guests to the Sailor. I thought the ST Zurmand was a working tug in Aden /Abadan? Or somewhere around the Gulf? (Any ideas?).

JAS Hawkins was a 1949 Navigating Apprentice from Twickenham (my neck of the woods), who was the Justice’s 3rd Mate 1957 and Loyalty 2nd Mate 1961 and obtained his Masters Certificate in 1960/61. I know no more about him.

It is lucky that not everybody follows Company’s rules to the letter of the law as the first page inside the binder reads the following....

This News letter may not in “any circumstances” be removed from the ship!

My inverted commas.

No, I do not have any crew lists for the Sailor in 1953, way before my time.

Graham
Old 8th January 2015, 08:01
user
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2008

The BP Commodore of the Day was aboard the Sailor (I do not know who he was)

Hi Graham,
The BP Commodore would have been Capt. H.I.McMichael.
Old 8th January 2015, 08:40
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Hi Graham ...

Many thanks for the prompt reply and the crew list, only three names I recognise on there: 3/O Steve Tuck, Elect Elvyne Wilkes and CPO George Cowie.

Interestingly, the lady who gave the review programme to me said her husband was on the Respect at the time of the review - but she also gave me his discharge books which show he was never on the Respect at all!!!

His name was Michael Say .. he went from GP1 in 1971 on joining the company, to PO in 1975, to CPO in 1982 before eventually leaving BP in Sept 1988.
Old 9th January 2015, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwatcher View Post
The BP Commodore of the Day was aboard the Sailor (I do not know who he was)

Hi Graham,
The BP Commodore would have been Capt. H.I.McMichael.
J,
Are you sure , I have SD Bumstead sailing Commodore on Soldier 55/56.
But Middlemiss mentions McMichael being Commodore on Sailor after completion in 1953.
So Possibly Bumstead was promoted on McMichael's retirement?(when, 1954?). So when was McMichael posted Commodore?

Graham
Old 9th January 2015, 21:49
user
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2008

Graham,
As you say, Middlemiss has McMichael showing the Queen around the Sailor "shortly after completion" which was April 1953. McMichael also showed the Queen around the Sailor again on April 5th, 1955, when she visited IoG. He was certainly a Commodore then. I wonder if Middlemiss has confused the 2 events? I would have thought that HM would have been much too busy to have 2 tours of the Sailor in 2 years. I think Bumstead succeeded McMichael but not sure when.
Old 24th January 2015, 19:06
Active: 1972 - 2014

My Father (Capt/Commodore Alan Davies) moved into full time residential care early last year & we cleared his house ready for sale. A few items relating to the '77 Spithead Review were found, currently in storage. When they are sorted I'll scan & post what I find.
e5nud