Ocean Inchcape ex members? - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
15:08

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ocean Inchcape ex members?

User Tag List

Old 9th December 2012, 13:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - Present

Hi Guys
Can anyone please help me? An old friend of mine called Lawrence Craig worked as an engineer for Ocean Inchcape from about 1981 to 1997, he recently died and his mother (now 85!) is trying to sort out his pensions. According to the MNOPF, he was only in the MNOPF preceeding 1981, but Lawrence mentioned that he had contributed to a pension up to 1997 - did OIL have their own pension scheme, or a recommended one? I would be grateful if anyone can help here, just to help try and finalise his estate.
Thanks
Alan
Old 10th December 2012, 19:09
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 2010

My location
Hi Alan.
I was with Oil from around 85-94 and i was paying into the MNOPF whilst employed. I cannot remember if OIL had there own pension fund but as i was paying into the MNOPF i would hardly have thought they would have. I recently received a statement from MONPF which they issue yearly, i assume that Lawrence was also getting a yearly statement. No old pay statements you can check up with.

Tidewater bought OIL in 1997 and i am pretty sure all pension deals would have stopped then as Tidewater had all sorts of different contracts on the go.

Not sure if i sailed with Lawrence or not but i certainly know the name
Old 12th December 2012, 00:52
Active: 1972 - Present

Thanks very much for that orkneyman, his mother phoned me and thought that the MNOPF might be ripping them off - or mistaken as he changed companies. Maybe the solicitor can follow it up anyway, that's what he's paid to do!
Old 28th December 2012, 18:39
Active: 1970 - 1990

OIL hands that worked in Guaymas

Any of you lads recall a fellow named Gus who had worked for OIL and when I knew him he was port engineer (I think) in Mexico in the late 70's or early 80's. I was in and out of Guaymas on a Gulf Fleet boat - Hercules Del Golfo- as master - we ran supplies out of San Diego to Guaymas and also serviced rigs up in the northern part of Gulf of California. That was a sweet dp boat. Gus, as I remember, was a stand-up guy.....thin fellow and wore glasses. I believe he went on to work for Acadian Marine as well, working out of Coatzaqualcos on the Gulf side. I too, had the misfortune of working for Acadian. They sure had some nasty old boats.
Old 4th January 2013, 17:36
Active: 1978 - Present

I was with OIL from 78 ish for a few years, started on the supplier in loch kishorn as AB for I trip then the harrier in Dundee which was handy cos I live in Monifieth, then driller , venturer, mariner & the challenger, just been laid off for a few months so if anyone knows of anyone looking for an AB or AB crane op? HELP lol , knew all the head cases Ian Harper Frankie Flynn tommy Sheridan etc
Old 5th February 2013, 06:01
Active: 1977 - Present

know lot of the names mentioned but also forgotten a lot of names i was on oil chancellor from 1988 til 1991 with ron sturrock and baz unite graham was chief engineer dave power lifter was 2nd engineer lived somewhere near dundee peddle bin was leading hand from sunderland derek was mate from yarmouth went on the onyx as captain later tosh was cook cant remember other aba names i then went to chieftain,onyx, then 5 years down the falklands on the mariner, then provider,osprey,transporter, oil where the best company i worked for was shocked when they sold out good times and good memories.
Old 24th March 2013, 21:04
Department: Navigation
Active: 1965 - 2000

My location
Was with OIL in 77 / 78, on the Mariner and Driller, mainly servicing Sedneth 701, north of Shetland, central North Sea, and SW Ireland out of Foynes. Remember George Bowie fae the Broch, amongst others. Good happy ships but hard work.
Old 31st December 2013, 01:41
Active: 1976 - 1980

Sailed on the Discover, Driller, Endeavour, and Hustler or Harrier between 1976 - 1980, is Garth Findley or John Penman out there?

Last edited by rich.sims2; 31st December 2013 at 01:42.. Reason: spelling
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:37
Active: 1976 - 1987

Oil

I sailed on the Oil Boats from around 1984 until 1987
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:52
Active: 1970 - Present

I started on the Trader in 94 with Mike Bentley as skipper and Bobby Gold as mate, moved to the Traveller with Mike Gaffney as skipper and John Bain I think as Mate, then on to the Ostertor with the German skippers in 97, a further move to the Osprey in 98 with one trip on the Onyx and a final trip on the Kaubturm saw me leaving OIL in 99, all in all a good time with some top guys.
Old 6th February 2014, 10:28
Active: 1964 - 2003

I think the person you are referring to would be Gus Sellars, he was a former Chief Engineer in OIL.
Ken Roberts
Old 11th February 2014, 16:24
Active: 1951 - 2006

hy ken.trader was last time we met good to hear your still alive re gus sellars the greatest phallic symble in oil .and so say all of us tom field

Last edited by tom.d; 11th February 2014 at 16:26..
Old 12th February 2014, 15:51

Oil Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
Goodday. Anyone remember the old "Oil Hunter" seismic survey vessel in about 1975. Think she was an old Norwegian stern trawler which had sunk and then was bought on the cheap...stability very dicey! I was mate on her for one trip in mid 1975.
rgds
Sailed on that ship as Ch.Eng. in 1975-76 mainly out of the South Western approaches, Foway in Cornwall.
Ken Roberts
Old 12th February 2014, 16:02

Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.d View Post
hy ken.trader was last time we met good to hear your still alive re gus sellars the greatest phallic symble in oil .and so say all of us tom field
Hello Tom
Last time I saw you was on the Trader. I did over 10 years on that vessel, leaving in Trinidad as the Americans ( Tidewater) wanted cheap South American Officers. Guess what,the very next voyage it collided with an oil rig when the Mate fell asleep on the bridge. Completely wrecked the bridge and the top deck including life boats.The Mate then went to the workshop and topped himself!
Got myself 35years redundancy after that then did 3 years with Stirling Shipping and retired in 2003.
Hope this finds you well.
Regards, Kenneth
Old 30th June 2015, 16:03
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1983 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkneyman View Post
I started with OIL on the OIL Challenger in 1985, captains were Ian Fyffe and John Partridge, then went to Fredrickshaven to bring the Oil Champion back to the North Sea on a Shell contract, Captains on that trip was Danny Mcgregor who i believe is a pilot on the forth, we had a few captains there one from Dundee cant remember the name off hand. Then it was back to the Challenger for a few trips and then a stint at college before heading to Mexico to join the oil Tiger in Dos Bocos, captain was Gavin Gray who i still keep in touch with and is now working at the De Kastri terminal in Russia.We left Dos Bocos and took the ship to Galveston and then on to Abidjan, Ivory coast, a great trip across the atlantic all sextant navigation no GPS on board.
Then left the Tiger and went to Cape Town and joined the Oil Prowler and towed a barge up to Angola, again sextant navigation, all great stuff.
I then worked down West Africa for a bit on the Oil Hustler, Oil Terrier, Oil Tiger, Oil Concord, Far Sky which was bareboated, OSA Defender.
Then back to the North Sea on the Trader, Traveller, and also did trips on the Gallusturm, Huntetor, Kaubturm, Kreuzturm,Schepelsturm, OSA Vanguard, OIL Osprey, OIL Onyx, OIL Provider, OIL Tracer.
I had 8 fantastic years with OIL met some great guys.
Lou Harrison was marine Super at the time another gentleman. And Margaret in personnel what a nice person.
There was a book written called the Great Alliance a history of OIL from there start in 1971 to 1995 and i believe this was the year that Tidewater bought them out. As far as i am aware the book was never published, but i managed to get a copy and its a really good read into OIL.s 25 year history written by Rodger Macdonald.
Some names come to mind, Frankie Flynn, Dennis O'Fee, Davy ????from Mussleborough, Micky Stewart, Baz Unite, Mick Jonhson, Mike Bentley, Roger Woodcock,John Fawcet, Jimmy crawford (crowbar), i will stiill need to rack the brain but some of you other guys i am sure will come up with a few names from the past.
Alan
Good day Mr. Allan

My name is Captain Cesar Vicente, I'm actually the operator of the PSV ZUMAQUE TRACER wich is the EX-OIL TRACER. We are very glad to find some body that had sailed on board this vessel. She is actually in Dry Dock at Cartagena - Colombia, and will be engaged in Pipe laying at Maracaibo lake next month using recetly installed DP-1 capability.
We are improving she because is a great vessel. I would ask only one thing to you: This vessel has had in any time of her life LIFE BOATS?

Thanks for your help

Captain Cesar Vicente
Old 10th July 2015, 12:51

Good Day Cesar,
I thought you would be interested in this picture. The Oil Trader did originally have conventional lifeboats. She originaly worked the southern North Sea out of Great Yarmouth. This picture was taken later after the aforementioned accident in Africa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OilTrader.jpg (64.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 30th July 2015, 13:05

Capt. Vincente
My name is John Lord< I was Capt o the Oil Tracer from March 1996 to April1998. When I joined her she was 68 metre's long and when I left 82 metres I was in the drydock wen they extended her and put th extra on the stern The extra on the stern was a disaster andhad to be shortened and stiffened up. I think the lifeboats were removed when she was lengthened, she definately had them when she was short. If you need any more info let me know I willtry and remember, I retired from the sea 15years ago
Old 24th February 2017, 09:02
Active: 1967 - 2014

Smile ex OIL Hustler

I sailed as Chief Engineer on OIL Hustler out of Singapore in late 1994 worked her off the coast of Malaysia doing anchors, this was just before OIL/OSA was brought out by Tidewater.
Old 24th February 2017, 19:13
Active: 1981 - Present

My location
I was on the Oil Tracer when she was running as the Balder Grip and the British Viking in the early/mid 80's out of Aberdeen and Peterhead, she had lifeboats, totally enclosed ones.
Old 23rd February 2019, 13:51

My location
I have a page on Facebook called Ocean Inchcape Ltd (OIL)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/190015134434278/

we are looking into the possibility of a Reunion in the near future and looking for names and if anyone would be interested in attending. I know some of you guys on here are not on facebook, but if you can get in touch if your interested it would be much appreciated.
Location we are looking at would be Dundee.
regards Alan
Old 24th February 2019, 12:03

OIL Reunion

Hi Allan
How is life up in the wilderness?
That seems a good idea now that we are getting on in life.

Had a tripple bye-pass and new aorta valve this time last year, now back to normal if there is such a word.

Still got my season ticket for you now where!

Please keep me informed.

Kenneth
Old 26th February 2019, 19:05

My location
Hi Kenny good to hear from you. Living down in Aberdeenshire since 2002, retired last year. Sounds as though your had a tough time, hope all ok with you now. Gavin Gray keeps asking if i have heard from you. Going to be having a chat with Fred Potter in next couple of days to see what we can organise, i have 16 names that are keen on a reunion. Did you have a look at the Facebook page some cracking photos on there you will enjoy, Will keep you updated, good to hear from you Kenny.
Old 4th March 2019, 19:34

Cecil Pratt

Hello all, I came across this website searching for photos for my dad, Cecil Pratt. Dad is 89 now and unfortunately suffers from dementia. He is in hospital near Great Yarmouth, recovering from a nasty fall. Dad loved his time with OIL. The family call him Uncle Albert because he never stops talking about the sea. I was only little, but I remember Lou, Stuart who was a Captain and always sent dad a Xmas card. A few years later I was employed by Halcyon Shipping in Great Yarmouth and worked with Janet, who was married to Alec the cook who dad was friends with. I will mention the names on this thread to him, he will be really pleased.
Old 6th April 2019, 23:23
Active: 1968 - 1997

Hello Helen, your Dad was one of the stalwart leading hands with OIL In what I suppose was the early days, I did a couple of trips with him on the Hustler if I remember correctly when I was extra Engineer. At that time you knew most folk in the company one way or another.