Longhope Disaster - Ships Nostalgia
15:06

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Longhope Disaster

Old 17th March 2012, 20:48

My location
Longhope Disaster

Forty two years today that our friends across the Pentland Firth at Longhope perished on a shout to the Greek frighter Irene,memories come and go but this one sticks with me.
Old 17th March 2012, 21:05
Nursie

My location
Thank you for reminding us Wully, and thank you for the lovely picture of the memorial.
Old 17th March 2012, 21:45
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
I rember it well . Also the Mona in Broughty Ferry ( that one hurt me bad )
Old 17th March 2012, 21:45
Department: Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wully farquhar View Post
Forty two years today that our friends across the Pentland Firth at Longhope perished on a shout to the Greek frighter Irene,memories come and go but this one sticks with me.
What made the tragedy worse, if I remember correctly, was the fact that the Irene sailed with insufficient bunkers to make the passage to Norway, which resulted in good, brave men losing their lives. Shame on the master and shipowner.
Old 17th March 2012, 23:20

they will always be remembered Wullie........true heroes and stout men and true.
god bless them all.
neil.
Old 18th March 2012, 02:08
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1970 - 1998

My location
Was at Cantick Head,south end of Hoy for six years, looking out on the Pentland Firth in bad weather, I could never imagine how those men could do their job.
Knew some of the families too, they are just as heroic, if not more.
Old 18th March 2012, 05:09
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1976

What is a 'shout'?
Old 18th March 2012, 08:08
mac53

Shout = Callout term - commonly used among Scottish RNLI volunteer crews.
Good folk who take pride in helping others.
Old 21st October 2017, 01:32

No apology for resurrecting this old thread!
A month ago my wife and I finally managed to visit the Longhope lifeboat museum and pay our respects to the crew of TGB.
I defy anyone to visit the small room devoted to the memory of the crew and to leave dry eyed.
Old 20th November 2017, 11:28
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimhill View Post
No apology for resurrecting this old thread!
A month ago my wife and I finally managed to visit the Longhope lifeboat museum and pay our respects to the crew of TGB.
I defy anyone to visit the small room devoted to the memory of the crew and to leave dry eyed.
Glad you made it there, it's some place. I was on Orkney about a year ago, and visited Longhope - it wasn't open so I took a couple of pics through the window. As I was getting into the car about to leave, the custodian came up in his car and opened up specially for us. It contains some awesome memories. Well worth a visit, as is the rest of Hoy.
Old 20th November 2017, 12:37
King Ratt

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmac1953 View Post
Shout = Callout term - commonly used among Scottish RNLI volunteer crews.
Good folk who take pride in helping others.

I try hard to convince my local lifeboat crew that"shout" is a term used by the Fire Brigade. It was always "call out" when I was a crew member on our boat and during my ten years as Ops Manager.
Old 19th March 2018, 18:48

Unhappy 70-002

The late Ian C Ives was the staff cox'n on Grace Patterson Ritchie, which was the Kirkwall lifeboat at the time.
They responded to this shout and also searched for the TGB afterwards.
Ian always said that this was one of the hardest shouts, the conditions were so bad. Eventually, even he - in a 70ft steel boat - decided that shelter was required.
Gracie took the crew of the Longhope boat to their funeral.
As you probably know, the RNLI repaired TGB and Ian took her to Arranmore.
When asked about both these; wasn't he worried about ghosts ? he said that the men had been his friends, so, no he wasn't worried.
The hull of the TGB is at Irivine, in the museum there, and had an "interesting" aura when I managed to get aboard her some years ago.
Old 30th March 2018, 00:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneroad View Post
Ian took her to Arranmore.
When asked about both these; wasn't he worried about ghosts ? he said that the men had been his friends, so, no he wasn't worried.
The hull of the TGB is at Irivine, in the museum there, and had an "interesting" aura when I managed to get aboard her some years ago.
I will tell you a story now, which is the truth and may god strike me dead if I tell a lie,......about 10 years or so ago, whilst on our annual holiday to Largs I phoned and spoke to the curator of Irvine maritime museum asking if on our annual visit, I could go aboard the TGB to take some detailed photos of her deck, wheelhouse survivors cabin, etc as I was planning a model of her.
before I go further, people say that you have to be susceptible to "Ghosts" which those that are, call spirits, and I am, having both lived and owned a recognised "haunted" house in Fleetwood, and also taught in a school that was "spirited".
when my daughter [aged about 10/11] and I arrived at Irvine, the curator had laid on a set of step ladders for us to climb aboard with.............all I had said to my daughter was that we were going to photograph an old lifeboat............not telling her of any of the boats history, or she wouldn't have gone aboard........we got taking photos and I have one of her stood in the cockpit holding the boats' wheel..........it was a beautifully hot day, and down below Ayr model boat club were having a display weekend in a put up "pond"//we were all in t shirts, and my daughter in shorts it was so hot, even inside the museum. we finished taking photos and climbed down the steps, had a look round the museum, again, and then went to pick up her mum and little sister...........once we were back on the road heading towards Largs, she asked a question.............daaaad!, was there anyone else on the boat with us..............no! I said, why. well when you were on the front of the boat I felt a hand on my shoulder and then it went cold in the cabin.........I turned round but there was no one there........and I got a bit frightened.............my wife looked at me and I looked at her..........and then I told her the story of the ill-fated TGB, and how one crew member was never found from the disaster..........she then thought for a little while before she said in a very brave and yet understanding way.............I wonder if that was him........

I often think that it might have been.............god bless them all.................very brave men indeed.

Last edited by nhp651; 30th March 2018 at 00:27..
Old 30th March 2018, 07:35
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Thanks for that...
Reminds me of my late Mother kneeling in the Fisherman's Church in Minehead and telling my Dad of the man in oilskins kneeling next to her....she was the only one in there.

Geoff
Old 30th March 2018, 09:54

TGB @Irvine

@nhp651 - Your daughter had a similar experience to mine. I don't normally tell people this - I was also on board the TGB, when I felt someone behind me, I said "Bird'seye sends his regards" and the touch was a friendly and gentle tap, I maybe imagined a short laugh - the sort of hello laugh for a friend. The cold feeling wasn't so noticeable the second time I went to the wheel. RIP to all the brave crew - and their families as I think those who stand and wait at the harbour side are also brave people.
Old 30th March 2018, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhp651 View Post
I will tell you a story now, which is the truth and may god strike me dead if I tell a lie,......about 10 years or so ago, whilst on our annual holiday to Largs I phoned and spoke to the curator of Irvine maritime museum asking if on our annual visit, I could go aboard the TGB to take some detailed photos of her deck, wheelhouse survivors cabin, etc as I was planning a model of her.
before I go further, people say that you have to be susceptible to "Ghosts" which those that are, call spirits, and I am, having both lived and owned a recognised "haunted" house in Fleetwood, and also taught in a school that was "spirited".
when my daughter [aged about 10/11] and I arrived at Irvine, the curator had laid on a set of step ladders for us to climb aboard with.............all I had said to my daughter was that we were going to photograph an old lifeboat............not telling her of any of the boats history, or she wouldn't have gone aboard........we got taking photos and I have one of her stood in the cockpit holding the boats' wheel..........it was a beautifully hot day, and down below Ayr model boat club were having a display weekend in a put up "pond"//we were all in t shirts, and my daughter in shorts it was so hot, even inside the museum. we finished taking photos and climbed down the steps, had a look round the museum, again, and then went to pick up her mum and little sister...........once we were back on the road heading towards Largs, she asked a question.............daaaad!, was there anyone else on the boat with us..............no! I said, why. well when you were on the front of the boat I felt a hand on my shoulder and then it went cold in the cabin.........I turned round but there was no one there........and I got a bit frightened.............my wife looked at me and I looked at her..........and then I told her the story of the ill-fated TGB, and how one crew member was never found from the disaster..........she then thought for a little while before she said in a very brave and yet understanding way.............I wonder if that was him........

I often think that it might have been.............god bless them all.................very brave men indeed.
I got the same feeling with the "Antares," it felt like she shouldn't be there.
Old 17th March 2019, 11:59

Longhope Lifeboat

Here are links to a couple of recent very moving broadcasts on the 50th anniversary of the loss of the Longhope boat and crew, 17th March 1969.
https://video-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/...20&oe=5C8E2EFC
and this radio broadcast:
https://www.mixcloud.com/radioorkney...2E98SfhTmb6UUk