Reina Del Mar - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
02:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Reina Del Mar

User Tag List

Old 1st September 2013, 23:54

I was lucky enough to have been taken on a cruise on her when I was eleven years old in 1967. An adopted aunty wanted me to have something to remember her by - this trip. And did it succeed, this is still one of the most vivid recollections of my childhood. Beautiful ship.
Old 3rd September 2013, 22:12
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1957 - 1963

The 'Reina del Mar' built and completed 1956 at Belfast for the PSNC Co. to serve the UK to west coast of South America passenger/cargo service and run
as sister ship to the older 'Reina del Pacifico'. I remember well when Reina del Mar was delivered,it was the most beautiful ship. However, what I can add as
information for anybody who is interested and I'm sure there are many,is that at the time of her delivery to PSNC the 'Belfast Telegraph' newspaper published a beautiful colour supplement of all aspects of the ship.From that supplement I have always had the memory of Reina del Mar in my mind. My wonder since is - does Belfast Telegraph still have that supplement in their archives and can a copy be published. Worth investigating for anybody who is so keen on all things relevent to the beautiful ship.
Old 1st October 2013, 15:23

I went on this ship for 4 holidays back in the 1960s and 70s, very laid back and the neptune events were always good.As a youngster the childrens area was run by a woman called Judy and The jungle book was the fav Kids film in the cinema.
The radio officer was a guy called Harry Chesters and my dad picked his stoke accent up and we were friends for years after, i used to go up to the radio room when he was on shift and look at the big valves glowing in there, we also went down into the engine room, what would elf and safety say about that now??
so sad she was scrapped early due to the oil crisis.
Old 1st October 2013, 17:06
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
I was the Deck Crewman's Boy on the Reina. He had a little store/workshop type place on (I think) the stbd boat deck. We used to scrub rails with sand & canvas, generally keep the open decks clean and tidy, make quoits and all that sort of thing. We also used to assist in kids deck games, frog racing etc.
If I recall correctly the blokes name was "Topsy" Turvey. His First Prize for the winning child was an 'Ot Water Otter. This really excited the kids, and spurred them on to win. The Ot Water Otter was in fact an old kettle, which must have been won by hundreds of kids over the years.

Last edited by Dickyboy; 1st October 2013 at 17:10..
Old 7th October 2013, 12:19

Phil,
I was 2nd radio officer on the Reina del Mar at that time. I really got on well with Harry, any idea what became of him? The children's hostess was Judy Nelson. A really grand ship.
The big valves were in the bottom of the public address system in the radio office with only a metal bar to guard them.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 6th July 2014, 09:41

Hi there, sorry it's a very late reply, After Harry left he divorced his wife, and i remember he set up an antiques business in Burslem in Stoke, he used to keep in touch sometimes with my mother but i haven't heard from him since for many years now, if i remember his wife was called Olive and he had a daughter, Kim.
Old 24th December 2014, 11:09
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1983 - 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
Thought some of you might like a photo of Reina del Mar in Union Castle colours. The pic was taken at Southampton (Empress Dock, if I remember correctly) in late 1960's. Her lavendar hull is looking a little tatty.
I remember one of the G & J Weir men who did her sea trials out of Harland & Wolff describe her as "The Reina del Mar that never got far".

Jim S
Not Empress Dock

Reina Del Mar alongside the Queen Elizabeth II Terminal at berths 38/39 Southampton Eastern Docks.
Old 6th October 2015, 18:03
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1969 - 2009

I served on the Rena Firstly doing med cruises and then down to Cape Town I think the first cruise was Cape Town Durban Maritious Back to Cape Town a walk off by the crew was organised in said port just before ship was due to sail back to Cape Town All crew on the quay The passengers were cheering Dispute was solved and we sailed Next cruise was down to South America 10 days crossing 10 days on the coast (fantastic time ashore ) then 10 days back it took me those 10 days to recover She was a very happy ship Graham Hall MNM
Old 9th October 2018, 14:41

reina del mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea View Post
The photograph that i have of the Reina del Mar is where she has been modified for Union Castle's Cruises which was taken i believe in 1974
here she is in union castle livery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reina del mar (2).jpg (101.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg reina del mar.jpg (69.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 5th December 2018, 09:17
Active: 1955 - 1997

I was a cadet on the Reina del Mar…1959, and I certainly remember sailing into Havana in January 1959, with Castro's Olive clad army spread out along the Morro Castle, watching us sailing into the inner harbour. Once alongside Captain Litherland ordered that all bars open to Castro's army…… one female officer sporting a 45 on her hip, think she was a Captain told the tale about being captured and tortured by Batista's men, when she was running a pro Castro radio station. We sailed that evening as we only stayed overnight on cruise trips. The Reina was a very happy ship and the only time we had any problems was when we left Valparaiso with no passengers to load copper at San Antonio….the amount of black eyes among the catering staff was unbelievable, got it all out of there system. I remember doing fire rounds and having to go to the depths of the accommodation going round with a phone jack and checking in a certain numbers with the bridge…surprising some of the happenings I saw. On the way back passing the bakery and been given fresh rolls and fancy cakes by the bakers, oh to be young again. Sunsets in port were always a big event with the Cadets, Quartermasters involved in lowering the flags to the minute whilst the Coldstream Guards "Evening Hymn" was played over the tannoy. Leaving Princes Landing Stage outward bound to the Ayres of "Early One Morning" "Hearts of Oak" and finally as she let go tugs and headed outwards "What shall we do with the drunken sailor".
I remember on one occasion going down the Engine Room to lower the Chernikeeff Log, dressed in No 10's…which involved getting into a cofferdam opening a valve and lowering it out. On the way back the engineers were waiting for me with water syringes, and by the time I reached half way up I was soaked and so mad I picked up a bucket of what I thought soogee water and hurled it at them only to find it was oily water. I believe they spent the rest of the watch cleaning up the mess. I never got soaked again and to my amazement never got told off.
Couple of years previous I had been on the "Kenuta" , discharging "Sea Fury" aeroplanes in large packing cases…the whole event was guarded by the army and air force, as a Belgium freighter carrying ammunition had been blown up in Havana a few weeks previous

Last edited by Foca; 5th December 2018 at 10:59..
Old 5th December 2018, 10:30

I have a feeling that the old Chusan did a trip or two for Max Wilson, I sailed with a 2nd cook from Belfast called Chunky Cardwell who had been on these cruises
Old 5th December 2018, 12:58

Stowaways
I remember one trip on the Reina and I think we had just left Cartagena bound for La Guaira, incidentally a port were the crew members were not allowed, due to a previous incident on the visit of a Cunard Liner when the crew beat up the police and the town.
It was mid afternoon when a passenger called my attention to a knocking coming from a trunkway on the No 2 well deck….I went up to the Mates Office to get the keys and accompanied by a Master at Arms, we opened to trunkway to find this bloke hanging there calling for aqua, hauling him out all he could say was abaco, indicating that someone else was below. Climbing down into the lower hold with a torch by now about a dozen faces peering at me from above the bags of tin in the after end. They were all in a terrible state of dehydration as their water must have run out and they must have been there from Mejillones in Chile… they had built a little nest on the top of the bags of tin in the after end of the hatch..Anyway a good meal and plenty of drinks and they were all passed fit by the doctor.
Bill Campbell Chief Officer kindly put them in my care with the instructions that they were to work on deck helping the "Water Babies" crew who washed down the decks at night. All went well and they all turned to, but breakfast in the morning Mr Campbell was annoyed at their scruffy dress.. worn out jeans and shirts mended with cross stitching. As I was in charge of issuing all the crews uniforms, I was informed to issue them with new jeans, shirts and company sweaters..Next day they turned to still in their old clothes..oh no the new gear was only for best. When we arrived in Havana the Captain arranged for they to be flow back to Chile…..and the Chief Officer told me to collect the clothes before they left…I caught them just as they were leaving with their new clothes neatly tucked under their arms, with big hugs and adios's I had not the heart to ask for the clothes back..and told Campbell I had missed them.
Lamp trimmer told me the tale of another stowaway who had spent Christmas in Walton whilst the Reina was in dock……he told him he had a lovely time over Christmas ^Much Bueno Walton"
Thing not known by a lot of people but I found out doing my fire rounds…..and came across them out for exercises with their Wardens. Life Prisoners from Bermuda were sent to the UK to serve their sentences and were accommodated way down in Tourist Class

Last edited by Foca; 5th December 2018 at 13:03..
Old 5th December 2018, 15:00

[QUOTE=Foca;2957117]I was a cadet on the Reina del Mar…1959, and I certainly remember sailing into Havana in January 1959, with Castro's Olive clad army spread out along the Morro Castle, watching us sailing into the inner harbour. Once alongside Captain Litherland ordered that all bars open to Castro's army…… /QUOTE]

Captain Litherland, one of the world's finest gentlemen. Sailed with him down to New Zealand on 'Salinas', (on charter to SS&A)approaching Pitcairn, with ETA 1st January 1956, we were told to wait until Gothic had visited, she was also due on 1st January, Captain Litherland was having none of it, we increased revs and arrived at 0500, we sailed a few hours later after dropping off stores for the islanders, buying our hand carved flying fish etc. As we sailed we saw the Gothic on the horizon approaching P I , she would have been greeted by all the crew and island boats flying the PSNC house flags on their sterns.

Our visit made the NZ papers, still have a cutting, what the political outcome twixt PSNC and SS&A was we never discovered, but everyone onboard 'Salinas' was very happy, especially the old PSNC hands who only knew the WCSA, mind you they were disappointed to find out that NZ girls expected more than a bar of Yardleys Soap for their favours, and USDollars were about as much use as a chocolate teapot...……..happy days
Old 5th December 2018, 15:15

Captain Litherland

Nice to know somebody else remembers what a nice person Captain Litherland was.....about the only time we were allowed into the Passengers bar was when the Captain invited the cadets to Bingo or dance night when we danced to keep the old dears happy.
If we left Willemstad, Curacao at night he would have me up on the 14" Aldis illuminating his favourite pub, whilst the owners and customers stood outside waving, and our siren blew farewell.
Old 5th December 2018, 16:44

When I was on the Reina Del Mar the laundry men were English one of them was my future brother in law there were no Chinese on her then her other brother was a winger on her.In Valparaiso I had a dear john from their sister I thought that they had found out of my dalliance with a lady passenger and wrote home and told her but they hadn't,she being from a seafaring family had seen her dad and brothers away from home for a long time and the way her mum had to cope decided it was not for her,fortunately she changed her mind and we married after all.Sadly after seven wonderful years she passed away.
Old 5th December 2018, 18:18

Ships Laundry

When I sailed on the "Reina del Mar"... Liverpool Chinese ran the laundry, I remember as Senior Cadet it was my job every morning to check how much water they had used and put a chit on the Mates desk before breakfast, as well and sand and canvassing the bridge deck wooden rails. The story goes that the Reina started with female laundry ladies, but so many became pregnant that they reverted to all male laundry personnel.
Sorry to hear about your wife Tom.
Old 5th December 2018, 18:34

Forgot to mention the Spanish guy you mentioned previously was called Julio..bit of a character really...we used to pick up the Spanish crew each trip in Santander and were mainly assigned to Tourist Class.
Bagged Fish meal was never carried on the "Reina" whilst I was there.
Old 6th December 2018, 12:47

Something I forgot when I paid off the Reina Del Mar I was paid too much as I had two fivers stuck together in my money.Has any other brother had such luck in there pay offs? On the ship we had a passenger who flipped his lid and had to be watched and myself and another a.b. Did this duty on our watch in the sick bay and when he walked about we would accompany him he took a shine to us and in the shop he bought us a spinning ash tray but we gave it back later to the shop but when he went into the bar he ordered gin and tonics for us and himself the barman gave us ours but only gave him a tonic no gin he flipped again over this so back to the hospital his family picked him on Peru. On leaving Colon to go thro the canal the after mooring crew most of us well hung over were treated to an ice cold bottle of Barclays beer by a lady and her daughter who as I have mentioned before we had a dalliance with the best livener I have ever tasted,we had them both with us the night before in Dirty Dicks bar where we gave them the peter meters the bar used to give out anyone remember them ,another a,b.with an odd perv was a guy who stole our fruit de looms wierd bugger he was also a blimpmerchant also I think that Sadie a famous Liverpool queen was a steward on her.
Old 6th December 2018, 14:00

I think the Bar you mention in Cristobal was the "Dog House Bar"......seem to remember 10c for a small beer...and I have had many a thick head after doing the canal transit.
Remember a tale about the lads in a Dock road Pub during the seaman's strike, feeling sorry for themselves...and the door swings open and there is Sadie in a fur coat."Don't worry lads the Queen is back"
Old 6th December 2018, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom roberts View Post
Something I forgot when I paid off the Reina Del Mar I was paid too much as I had two fivers stuck together in my money.

where we gave them the peter meters the bar used to give out anyone remember them ,
Never lucky with money, only ever got what I worked for.

Peter meter had one of those for years, forget what I reached on the scale, think it was to do with someone laughing
Old 6th December 2018, 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman38 View Post
Never lucky with money, only ever got what I worked for.

Peter meter had one of those for years, forget what I reached on the scale, think it was to do with someone laughing
Hi Seaman 38 as I remember the measure started at an inch =tuck it in you are an embarrassment to the male race one was for large girls and small cattle funny how I remember that why?
Old 7th December 2018, 05:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom roberts View Post
Hi Seaman 38 as I remember the measure started at an inch =tuck it in you are an embarrassment to the male race one was for large girls and small cattle funny how I remember that why?
The one given out in Kowloon's Gingles Bar started with the remark "Should have been a girl." Another was "Housewives' joy.' but can't remember any others. Seventy years is a long haul.

Foca's mention of the Spaniard called Julio - I did a trip on the old Reina in summer of 1950 and remember a portly Santander steward who could possibly be the same guy. Working at touching up the foredeck paintwork and such, he would come up on his break and pretend to be finding fault with our work, as if he was the bosun. We also kidded him and got to learn a few Spanish swear words whenever he fired back - my favourite; he would grab his crotch and say "Tojo mi los cojones."

Last edited by Samsette; 7th December 2018 at 05:58..
Old 17th March 2019, 13:07

reina del mar x varna ocean monarch x venus

any comments on the second - RDM - ? i have posted this elsewhere as well - any positive feedback - welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reina del mar (4).jpg (96.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg reina del mar (5).jpg (79.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg reina del mar (1).jpg (50.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg reina del mar (2).jpg (40.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg reina del mar (3).jpg (53.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Old Se Dog; 17th March 2019 at 14:20..
Old 17th March 2019, 14:06

The photograph of her burning tells almost all that you need to know. She was the Former Furness Bermuda ship Ocean Monarch. Once Furness Bermuda ceased operations she was sold to Bulgarian interests and renamed Varna. She sailed for some years under this name, even undertaking cruises along the St Lawrence, as well as Mediterranean cruises. She was laid up for some time before this plan to reactivate her came about and her cruises were widely promoted. Hence the variety of brochures shown. However, it was not to be as she burned whilst undergoing refitting work for her new role.
Old 17th March 2019, 14:19

Thank you