A 'Certain Young Lady's' CII nd BIRTHDAY. - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
15:24

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

A 'Certain Young Lady's' CII nd BIRTHDAY.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26  
Old 21st March 2019, 23:05
Samsette's Avatar
Samsette Samsette is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham the pipe View Post
You are 10 years my senior, 'S', so our wartime years were somewhat different and I certainly had no intention of 'slurring' Gracie, it was just that Vera had a rather special birthday.
Of course you didn't and, I know that. My post was not intended to take anything away from your salute to The Forces Sweetheart.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 22nd March 2019, 07:52
Graham the pipe's Avatar
Graham the pipe Graham the pipe is online now  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,344
The war years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsette View Post
Of course you didn't and, I know that. My post was not intended to take anything away from your salute to The Forces Sweetheart.

Hi 'S'.

Looking at your CV you've certainly lived an interesting life. What made you opt for Canada as your, I presume, 'permanent' home?

I was in Kent for the first 5 years of my life so watching dog fights, bombers being shot down, 'Dad's Army' and troop movements was just as 'earphones' are to kids here in '19. Was 'weaned' on V's voice, 'puppy love' which never waned.

Have a great weekend.

Kindest you and yours.

GGG
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 23rd March 2019, 00:58
Samsette's Avatar
Samsette Samsette is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,968
Being nabbed for National Service (another story) and spending it in Germany was a big eye opener for me. It was there that I met up with the Cdn Army and liked what I saw. They were unofficially recruiting out of the Cdn Army Liaison Establishment in London, and after being clear of NS I enlisted with them and never looked back.

Kent was regarded as the front lines in 1940 and beyond, so an exciting place to be - just so long as nothing unpleasant came your way.

Salut, mon vieux.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 23rd March 2019, 08:23
Graham the pipe's Avatar
Graham the pipe Graham the pipe is online now  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,344
The right or wrong place at the wrong or right time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsette View Post
Being nabbed for National Service (another story) and spending it in Germany was a big eye opener for me. It was there that I met up with the Cdn Army and liked what I saw. They were unofficially recruiting out of the Cdn Army Liaison Establishment in London, and after being clear of NS I enlisted with them and never looked back.

Kent was regarded as the front lines in 1940 and beyond, so an exciting place to be - just so long as nothing unpleasant came your way.

Salut, mon vieux.
My 'schoolboy French' is decidedly rusty so I'll simply say, en Anglais, "Top of a chilly, Surrey morning to you Young Man".

Thanks for the very abridged resume of your interesting life from young to 'not so young'.

Entirely up to you but if you'd like to PM me with your e mail address I'll sent you some 'photographic evidence' which epitomise '44, Kent and me personally.

Au 'voir [B]GGG[/B
]
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 23rd March 2019, 20:06
Samsette's Avatar
Samsette Samsette is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham the pipe View Post


Entirely up to you but if you'd like to PM me with your e mail address ..........

Au 'voir [B]GGG[/B
]
I cannot do that GtP, because I would have to exterminate you - with extreme prejudice.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:44
pat m lawson pat m lawson is offline  
Member
Department: Office / Administration
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
Vera Lynn

Thank you so much for these memories. I was 7 when the War started, so I remember all of these songs, and all of the things related to the War, both of my parents worked in the Shipyard in Vancouver Washington. Again, through my tears, Thank you, for the memories.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:27
Graham the pipe's Avatar
Graham the pipe Graham the pipe is online now  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat m lawson View Post
Thank you so much for these memories. I was 7 when the War started, so I remember all of these songs, and all of the things related to the War, both of my parents worked in the Shipyard in Vancouver Washington. Again, through my tears, Thank you, for the memories.
My pleasure, Pat, pleased you enjoyed and that those tears were, I sincerely hope, 'happy ones'?

Kindest to you and yours from a decidedly chilly UK.

GGG
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 7th April 2019, 06:52
vicki_ vicki_ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 35
What's happening Taff? Just got back from holiday to find your message to which I was blocked from replying??
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paul ND Duffield ex BP 1964(?) Navigating Apprentice Graham Wallace BP Shipping 6 21st September 2018 19:03
Our Lady Patricia,Our Lady Pamela. fastcats Ferries 18 7th February 2013 14:54
SS France/Norway/Blue Lady photolog - Life & death of a great lady of the sea shamrock Ships & the Breakers 2 27th June 2009 16:06



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.