NAL "Lyngenfjord" Colorized - Ships Nostalgia
02:03

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

NAL "Lyngenfjord" Colorized

User Tag List

Old 15th May 2020, 12:21

NAL "Lyngenfjord" Colorized

N.A.L. (Norwegian America Line) "Lyngenfjord" Colorized by me. Original photo: Bjorn Pedersens collection. I do commissions. [This probably shouldn't be under Passenger Liners, but I can't figure out how to delete it or move it.]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lyngenfjord.jpg (354.8 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by geirrosset; 15th May 2020 at 12:28..
Old 15th May 2020, 14:13

What colour have you given the deck? I have made a small model of the Viksfjord, a ship that I served on, but I am not sure of the deck colour. I have made it green, as I may faintly remember that. I do not think it was black, but I am not absolutely certain it was not.
Old 15th May 2020, 15:11

Quite correct Stein, the decks were green... well, on Sagafjord and Vistafjord.

Sorry about the small photo. Not that great, but does show the foredeck as Green.

My two little 1200 scale models of these two ships also shown the steel decks were painted Green.

I was in port and a NAL (cargo boat) ship was lying in the adjacent berth. The crew had painted the grey hull and the bootopping was done as well. I real mess! All of that white stripe was covered with paint. I thought it would take an age to repaint it. Not long after that I looked again and the strip was completely done! I took around the dock to have a look. That strip... and same on the Sagajord and Vistfjord has a 1/2 inch plate x 4 inch width, welded along the hull. With a small roller it would be done in minutes.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vistafjord_as_built_in_Kiel_Canal.jpg (4.1 KB, 75 views)
Old 15th May 2020, 15:25

That is just the sort of feedback I need. What about the lifeboat deck? Was that green as well? What about the roof of the wheel house?
Old 15th May 2020, 15:55

Good wok on the photo.

For Vista and Saga... steel painted, money island etc were all painted green.

Any old photos of the Boat Deck and Bridge Deck? Quite possible they were TEAK decks. If not, go for green again. If the decks are teak, then scuppers and trim would also be green.

Hull colour. NAL grey is not a standard grey... and not just black with white or even blue/black with white. NAL colours was more a tan shade of grey.

Here is a photo of Sagafjord in NAL colours. It shows the funnel buff and the hull grey. Note. If you have photos of the ship is Cunard livery, the grey they used as a different shade. The photo of Vistafjord in Cunard shows the different grey.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vistafjord_1.jpg (67.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Vistafjord1973.jpg (93.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Sagafjordat13Pyrmont.jpg (42.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg sagafjord (2).jpg (40.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg SAGAFJORD at Sea.jpg (222.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 15th May 2020, 16:51

Thank you Stephen. I'll add the green. Do not think they were teak, can't see any wood pattern in the photo.

As for the grey. Yes I am aware. Problem with a tan grey as light as this is that it would change greatly with the light at the time. It might have been light grey tan under a neutral 3500K light, but outdoors it would go from anywhere from blue grey to grey to yellowish tan. So it is just a matter of choice IMO.

Best regards
Geir R.
Old 15th May 2020, 17:06

Hello Geir,

I hope you are posting more of your works on the SN Gallery.? I hope!

If you want you might it in the maritime art section of the SN Gallery. That would be quite appropriate.

Stephen
Old 15th May 2020, 17:50

Yes, the roof of the wheelhouse I have got a memory of. It had started to blow, so me and a shipmate were to take down spark's antenna. I had rubber boots and rainwear on, fell, and was blown right acros that large C1A roof, luckily being caught by some parts of the railing, and I have got a flash photo memory of that 15 cm iron plate to which the railing was fastened. I can see the green paint, the rust and the bubbly welding seam. It was the rest of the decking I was less sure of. So thank you Stephen. And btw, I once painted nearly the whole of the NAL wharf in oslo with that warm grey hull colour when I was on either the Topdalsfjord or the Viksfjord. I had a very large bucket of paint that I was to take down to the quay side and roller paint the hull. Stupidly, I had taken off the lid when still on deck, so when I stumbled halfway down the accommodation ladder, I tipped the full content on to the quay. And the paint had a magnificient flow quality, it slowly filled the whole area. There must be a few people who still remember that - it did not dry up very fast.

Last edited by stein; 15th May 2020 at 18:06..
Old 15th May 2020, 17:52

Thank you for your mental images stein Adds to the scene I have already posted a different scene to the art gallery Plenty more coming
Old 15th May 2020, 18:23

Stein,

Not the best way to remember your days with NAL! I wonder what the Mate said about the lost drum of paint!

The think with NAL colours... they were all 'warm' colours and they were like autumn leaves! The tan grey, simply grey with some buff... and the buff on the funnel was a very sweet shade. The colours giooes with the green deck and goes well with the bootopping as well... not red, it was more a sienna. Beautiful!

Stephen
Old 16th May 2020, 08:31

Ok, here it is Stephen and Stein. Added a bit of buff to the hull and added the green to the decks. How does it look?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lyngenfjord.jpg (353.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 16th May 2020, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by geirrosset View Post
Ok, here it is Stephen and Stein. Added a bit of buff to the hull and added the green to the decks. How does it look?

Looks just fine.... excellent! Thanks. Will look forward to seeing more... like STAVANGERFJORD!

Stephen
Old 17th May 2020, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by geirrosset View Post
N.A.L. (Norwegian America Line) "Lyngenfjord" Colorized by me. Original photo: Bjorn Pedersens collection. I do commissions. [This probably shouldn't be under Passenger Liners, but I can't figure out how to delete it or move it.]
A nicely colorized picture and very evocative. I sailed on Lyngenfjord in the summer of 1967 as a student during an 'accidental' gap year. Ian