british channel island ferries - Ships Nostalgia
03:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

british channel island ferries

User Tag List

Old 14th June 2005, 22:49

british channel island ferries

would any one know what happned to the ships when the company went bust i sailed on the corbiere havelet rozel breizh izel any photos would be appreciated
Old 15th June 2005, 04:00
user

My location
Hi Peter,

The Corbiere ended up in Canadian waters in 2000 and as far as I know she remains there as the Apollo sailing between St Barbe and Blanc Sablon.

The Rozel is to be found as the Santa Catherine 1 sailing for Comanav on the Nador - Almeria service. She is owned by Egypt's El Salam Maritime.

Havelet sails as Montenegro Lines' Sveti Stefan between Bar and Bari.

The old Portelet arrived in Bangledesh for breaking up in April 2004.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

Justin
Old 15th June 2005, 05:15

Justin..
Thanks for that, always wondered what happened to the Corbierre, now I know!!. After the IOW, Guernsey was my second home ......nmnmnm..thinking about that I seem to have this thing about islands, even Oz is a big one!!.
Old 15th June 2005, 10:49
user

My location
Doug,

Having been brought up in Ireland I found it very easy to settle in Tasmania in 2000, it is afterall an island not too far off the size of Ireland!

However, I moved to the big island for a year in Perth in March 2004. Not so easy that one!

Rgds
Old 15th June 2005, 11:16

thanks for the informaition i must be getting old or im still drunk from partying on these ships but i forgot the portalet thanks cambria
Old 16th June 2005, 17:17

My location
Havelet

I was on the Havelet right up until she was sold to Montenegro Lines. She was being used as an accomodation vessel for Condor's French cabin staff in Weymouth. I think the locals were quite pleased to see her go! Not a bad old tub but the engine room and accomodation needed a lot of work to get her up to scratch again
Old 16th June 2005, 17:23
Administrator

My location
Welcome to SN Moaf
Old 16th June 2005, 17:31

Doug
The Havelet was a rough diamond but she had a personality and special atmosphere of her own. My wife and I went to Jersey specially to sail back on her final trip for Condor Ferries having sailed on all the BCIF ships previously. She was delayed two or three days because of a hurricane and I wrote about the final voyage in Ships Monthly. It is good to see she is still doing her bit.
Eric Norris
Old 17th June 2005, 00:10
user

My location
She is certainly remembered in Cork by virtue on the occasion she almost rolled over while relieving on a Brittany Ferries sailing to Roscoff during Storm Force conditions. She limped back to Ireland where her vehicle deck was cleared using forklift trucks. Heave-a-lot was the label bestowed upon her I think.

Rgds,

Justin
Old 17th June 2005, 16:13

My location
Heave-a-lot

I remember going into a cabin one day and there was grafiti inside a cupboard saying "I survived Heave-a-lot, October '86"!! She had sponsons fitted aft to try and reduce the movement in heavy weather but it didn't really do the trick. They served better as a diving platform for local kids when she was laid up in Weymouth!
Old 17th June 2005, 16:37

HAVELET laid up at Weymouth during July 1999, as mentioned earlier, probably used for accomodation purposes.

History:- Built as CORNOUAILLES for Brittany Ferries, renamed HAVELET in 1989 by Channel Island Ferries and chartered to Condor Ferries in 1994 and bought by them in 1998. Sold to Montenegro Lines in 2000 and renamed SVETI STEFAN.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg havelet.jpg (87.0 KB, 128 views)
Old 17th June 2005, 17:49

My location
Nice Photo Bob, I can see my old cabin!!
Old 17th June 2005, 20:34

I was on Havelet when there was a fire in the engine room as we approached Jersey, off Corbiere. The ship was adrift and warnings went out to all shipping to keep clear. But as always Havelet got there and got back to Weymouth the same night.
On her last crossing from Jersey she arrived in Weymouth at the unearthly hour of 1am. As we left the ship officers and crew lined up at the head of the gangway to shake hands and say goodbye. There was a notice: "Last person out please turn off the lights and cancel the milk." Because we had to get a London train at 10am that morning and had nowhere to stay the girl in Havelet's shop rang a friend in Weymouth from the ship who had a hotel which was closed for the winter. They opened up specially for us and left us to look after ourselves and close the door when we left the next morning because they had to go to work. That was typical of the friendly crew that served Havelet in those days.
Old 18th June 2005, 00:01
Super Moderator

Question Breizh Izel

Hi Peter

I am not sure, but I think that the Breizh Izel may now be the Duchess M operated by Marlines between Albania and Italy. This ship was built 1970 by Taiko, 6576 tons, 112.5 metres oa, two Pielstck. Does that sound like the same ship?

Fred Henderson
Old 22nd June 2005, 08:28
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter lewis
would any one know what happned to the ships when the company went bust i sailed on the corbiere havelet rozel breizh izel any photos would be appreciated
Recent shot of the Breizh Izel has she now is can be found HERE
Rgds,
Justin
Old 22nd June 2005, 20:06
Super Moderator

Question Briezh Izel

Hi Justin

Please forgive us new boys but you say recent photo of Breizh Izel can be found HERE. Where? The gallery denies all knowlege.
I can confirm that she was sold to Marlines.

Fred
Old 22nd June 2005, 21:54

i sailed on the havelet for three years the last passengers we took were 500 adventure scouts to the islands from waymouth with the greek owners on board they were there when the galley caught fire and and a load of 18yr old went quite party mad a fiting last trip for the ever eventfull havelet
Old 22nd June 2005, 23:39
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred henderson
Hi Justin

Please forgive us new boys but you say recent photo of Breizh Izel can be found HERE. Where? The gallery denies all knowlege.
I can confirm that she was sold to Marlines.

Fred
Hi Fred,

Click on the word HERE in my previous message.

Rgds,

Justin
Old 23rd June 2005, 15:50
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=cambria49]Hi Fred,

Click on the word HERE in my previous message.

Rgds,

Justin[/QUOTE

Amazing, it works! The wonders of modern electronics. Many thanks.

Best regards

Fred
Old 24th June 2005, 21:37

I am pleased to hear Havelet made another trip to the islands after our experience. And I am more delighted to learn that as always the sailing included something of a disaster. When they come through them that is how ships are loved a remembered. Bu
Old 10th September 2005, 21:29

Smile Breizh izel

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter lewis
Dear Peter,
Breizh Izel sold in the Greek owned MARLINES in 1989 and renamed DUCHESS M for their Greece - Italy service. She took an extensive refit at perama yards and she travelled until 2000. She laid up since then and she came into service this year.
Best regards
Spyros 2 from Greece
Old 27th September 2005, 07:18
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by moaf
I was on the Havelet right up until she was sold to Montenegro Lines. She was being used as an accomodation vessel for Condor's French cabin staff in Weymouth. I think the locals were quite pleased to see her go! Not a bad old tub but the engine room and accomodation needed a lot of work to get her up to scratch again
I think I might know you Moaf?? Did you sail on CE and CV, C10 etc??
Old 29th September 2005, 11:49

My location
Doxfordman,

Yes I was on the cats after the Havelet was sold
Old 30th September 2005, 00:11
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by moaf
Doxfordman,

Yes I was on the cats after the Havelet was sold
I left Condor in March 99 - for pastures new, down under. We had the Heavalot then and were building the Comm Clipper. We must have fallen over one another at some stage if you were there then?
Old 30th September 2005, 13:04

My location
I started in 1999 first on the Havelet, but it was sold shortly after and I went on the Goodwill. Then went back deep sea for a couple of months then came home and started on the Cats. Probably did bump into you then at some point