Royal Merchant Navy School, Bearwood - Ships Nostalgia
00:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Royal Merchant Navy School, Bearwood

User Tag List

Old 13th October 2005, 12:13

My location
Royal Merchant Navy School, Bearwood

I am an ex-pupil of RMNS (now known as Bearwood College) which since 1827 has educated children whose parent(s) died (or became incapacitated) whilst serving in the Merchant Navy. My father served in the BI as did my mother during the early days of World War II. Currently editor of the annual newsletter and very involved with organising reunions etc all over the country, I am always looking for news of ex-pupils and hope that by posting something on this website I might reach a wider audience. Most of the boys educated at the school went on to serve in the Merchant Navy (before it shrunk!) and I am often asked if I know what happened to people - the girls are better at keeping in touch. I also have connections with the The Royal Liverpool Seaman's Orphanage and the Royal Wanstead. If you have any news of people you know were educated at Bearwood, please let me know.
Old 13th October 2005, 22:45

My location
Hello Bearwood a warm welcome to the site, there are a lot of old aquaintances renewed here so your quest might just succeed, in the meantime I hope you enjoy the site.
Old 5th May 2006, 01:50
user

Met a chap in a bar in Hong Kong, said he had been to the Royal Merchant Navy School and had then won a scholarship to the "Conway" (which I had attended). "Really enjoyed the Conway" he said, "they only used to flog us once a day!!" lol.
Old 5th May 2006, 23:03

My location
Welcome to SN Sylvia.

I sincerely hope that your contact with SN will prove fruitful and enable you to unite old friends. Good luck with the Old Royals Association.

You might like to bring this site to the attention of your membership as there is a large Merchant Navy membership here (plus a lot of others people with a common interest in the sea).

Regards,

Brian
Old 6th May 2006, 17:12

My location
I'm tickled pink to have a reply from someone who actually met an 'Old Royal'. Certainly many boys who were at Bearwood in the 40s and 50s went on to the Conway, the Worcester and King Edward VII before actually going to sea. In fact boys were actively encouraged to follow in their fathers' footsteps whilst the girls were pointed towards nursing and secretarial work. We still have a thriving ex pupils association and I always mention the various MN sites when I send out my annual newsletter and actively encourage 'the old salts' to log on to them. Our website www.oldroyals.org.uk is at present being updated and will soon have links to your site, the MNA website and one or two others which I think our members will find interesting. I shall keeping logging on to Ships Nostalgia regularly - I find the chat fascinating.
Old 6th May 2006, 17:18
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Welcome aboard, Bearwood. Enjoy the site.

Rgds
Paid it in full”
Old 2nd April 2007, 22:48

My location
RMNS/Bearwood

I posted my first message on this site in May 2006 and have conscientiously logged on nearly every day since - I find the postings to the Forum fascinating. I just thought I'd bring my search for ex pupils of the Royal Merchant Navy School to the 'top of the pile' again - I've had a few contacts over the last year and some very interesting private messages.
Old 2nd April 2007, 23:47

My location
Bearwood
When the Indefatigable closed in 1995 some of the boys went on to Bearwood, as did Malcolm Cheeseman the IT teacher. I think he is still there as a housemaster.
Old 3rd April 2007, 01:01

My location
Ahoy Bearwood
I know of your College as my sister lives in Wokingham. I also know that there is a great pub on the way to your College, where great food is served with a very presentable cold beer or two.
From your replies above I gather you have been in touch with this site for nearly a year. Good innit? Anyhow welcome once again.
Old 3rd April 2007, 20:27

My location
RMNS/Bearwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrypriddis View Post
Bearwood
When the Indefatigable closed in 1995 some of the boys went on to Bearwood, as did Malcolm Cheeseman the IT teacher. I think he is still there as a housemaster.
Yes, Barry, Malcolm Cheeseman is still at Bearwood - in fact he is the Liaison officer between the College and the Old Royals Association. He has been in poor health recently but now seems to be 'in the pink' again.
Old 3rd April 2007, 20:30

My location
Bearwood/RMNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Philip Griffin View Post
Ahoy Bearwood
I know of your College as my sister lives in Wokingham. I also know that there is a great pub on the way to your College, where great food is served with a very presentable cold beer or two.
From your replies above I gather you have been in touch with this site for nearly a year. Good innit? Anyhow welcome once again.
Thanks for your message - I can vouch for the food at the Walter's Arms - we often repair there after committee meetings. I think the SN site is very good indeed and log on every single day to see what is new.
Old 3rd April 2007, 21:04

My location
Sylvia
When you next see Malcolm pass on my regards.
Barry
Old 4th April 2007, 14:40

My location
Rmns/bearwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrypriddis View Post
Sylvia
When you next see Malcolm pass on my regards.
Barry
Barry - will do - Sylvia
Old 6th June 2007, 14:27

RMNS Bearwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwood View Post
I am an ex-pupil of RMNS (now known as Bearwood College) which since 1827 has educated children whose parent(s) died (or became incapacitated) whilst serving in the Merchant Navy. My father served in the BI as did my mother during the early days of World War II. Currently editor of the annual newsletter and very involved with organising reunions etc all over the country, I am always looking for news of ex-pupils and hope that by posting something on this website I might reach a wider audience. Most of the boys educated at the school went on to serve in the Merchant Navy (before it shrunk!) and I am often asked if I know what happened to people - the girls are better at keeping in touch. I also have connections with the The Royal Liverpool Seaman's Orphanage and the Royal Wanstead. If you have any news of people you know were educated at Bearwood, please let me know.
My eldest son attended the RMNS, back in the early 70'S. Now, at age 50, he is a P.O. in the R.N. About to start his 4th tour of duty in Iraq. I have never heard him speak ill of the old school.
Old 17th November 2007, 13:25

Mike (Sam) Weller, RMNS early 70's. Basra Oct 2007

Hopefully, this will reach you.
Regards,
Mike Weller Snr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwood View Post
img001.jpg
Old 19th November 2007, 17:35

My location
Hi there. Is there more than one RMNS?!

My late cousin, Steven Owen, attended a school during the seventies, which I understood to be in the Kingston Upon Hull area. He went to the school preparing to follow in his father's footsteps.

His father, along with my own, started in the Merchant Navy in the fifties, but within a couple of years, his father joined the RAF before a long career in the Fire Service.
Old 19th November 2007, 21:54

My location
No, there is only one Royal Merchant Navy School (or rather 'was' as it is now known as Bearwood College, Nr Wokingham in Berkshire). The pupil age range is 11 through to 18 and certainly in the days when there really was a Merchant Navy, many boys from there did follow in their fathers' footsteps. In the 1970s, there were still sons of MN fathers there, but probably as fee payers, not because their fathers had died in the Service (as mine did). If you could give me an approximate date of birth for your late cousin and where his home was, I can check the records.
Old 19th November 2007, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trot Sentry View Post
Hi there. Is there more than one RMNS?!

My late cousin, Steven Owen, attended a school during the seventies, which I understood to be in the Kingston Upon Hull area. He went to the school preparing to follow in his father's footsteps.

His father, along with my own, started in the Merchant Navy in the fifties, but within a couple of years, his father joined the RAF before a long career in the Fire Service.
Trot, I think you may be thinking of Hull Trinity House School which dates back to the late 18th century and is still going today. The boys used to be a familiar sight around the Old Town in their distinctive "Hornblower" Midshipman type uniforms. Not sure if they still wear them or not.

John T.
Old 26th November 2007, 12:41

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Trot, I think you may be thinking of Hull Trinity House School which dates back to the late 18th century and is still going today. The boys used to be a familiar sight around the Old Town in their distinctive "Hornblower" Midshipman type uniforms. Not sure if they still wear them or not.

John T.
That name sounds familiar. Thank you
Old 26th November 2007, 19:57

As an old "Royal" Sylvia, is quite correct. The Hornblower uniform sounds a bit like maybe it was a Royal Navy school, Good Sailing Bill
Old 26th November 2007, 20:29

I was for a year or so, in the mid 1960's, a flight commander with the Bearwood College detached flight of 2211 (Bracknell Squadron) Air Training Corps. I do remember that the cadets were very keen and smart - I think we were the nearest thing to having the Sea Cadets at the College. !! The ATC unit eventually became a Combined Cadet Force Unit. I dont know what happened to the flight after 1969 when I moved away.
Rob..
Old 26th November 2007, 20:52

Hull Trinity House School was founded by the Board of Trinity House, Hull, made up of Master Mariners and Pilots, in the late 18th century. It was the first naval school in the world. While some of the pupils probably entered the Royal Navy, the school had no affiliation with the RN as far as I can see.

John T.
Old 10th November 2015, 18:04
Department: Engineering

Peter Simmons

I was a pupil at the RMNS from 1940 to 1945 along with my brother Laurie. His number was 72 and mine 66. His nickname was Quacker and mine was ducky, we were good swimmers. He was in Drake house and I was in Grenville and then Frobisher.
Old 10th November 2015, 19:22

Hallo Peter - I was in Grenville, then Raleigh 1946-50. There are still a few of us around. I've no doubt Sylvia Lambert will follow up your post. Ian (Lanky) Newson.
Old 10th November 2015, 23:29
Bilge Rat
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer