The Iron Ore Carriers - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
08:38

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

The Iron Ore Carriers

User Tag List

Old 28th November 2007, 18:23

John, I sailed in Clarkeden on three seperate occasions between 1960 and 65, The Masters were Cormack, Dunnet and Furneaux. I'm glad to hear that ED is still alive and well seemed to be a nice chap as I remember. I myself had surgery for throat cancer five years ago and now have a Trachyostomy, the result I suppose of smoking all those duty free cigarettes and tobacco so many years ago.
Regards-Ray
Old 13th April 2008, 18:20

Orecrest

I have only found this one reference to Orecrest. My Father was the Radio Officer on MV Orecrest in the early sixties, and he always referred to her as his favorite ship. Anyone remember her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by athinai View Post
Anyone remember Ivanovich vessel "ORECREST" We Had many good visits to Port Talbot when on the Ore Charters in the Sixties, Fondest Memories of the Hotel on the Waterfront.,
Regards/
Old 19th May 2008, 21:21

irish wassa theres a ship i havent heard of almost forgot i done a run to murmask on her thanks for jogging the old memory
Old 19th May 2008, 21:50

Very fond of the Cape Howe asit was my first ship.Did one trip on the Beechwood was't that keen on her.
Old 20th May 2008, 07:17

I sailed in the Pennyworth and the Monksgarth. Both good ships, good crowds and decent grub, but boring as hell because there was nothing to do but chipping, scraping, painting and bloody sugi. I couldnt wait to get back to general cargo ships.
Pat
Old 26th May 2008, 00:57

Hi all. Mention of the River Afton and Dalhanna brought back memories. Were'nt they managed by Huntings of Newcastle?I sailed on the Duffield after she had been converted from a tanker to a bulk carrier. Only carried one cargo of iron ore before she went on California to Japan run carrying timber. Long trips but great ports at either end.
Old 9th July 2008, 21:04

Hi,
I was with Souters from 71 to 75 as deck apprentice, then last 6 months uncertified 3rd Mate. Sailed on Scottish Wasa twice, Longstone, Sheaf Field and Stolt Sheaf. Long time ago but happy memories.
Scottish Wasa and Longstone were iron ore carriers, Sheaf Field general cargo and Stolt Sheaf chemical tanker.
Joined my first ship Scottish Wasa at drydock South Shields. First foreign port Murmansk in January !!!!!!!!

Colin Coates
Old 10th July 2008, 18:33

Unless my mind is playing tricks on me the Sheaf Field was a general cargo ship and not an an iron ore carrier. I sailed on the Sheaf Field in the early seventies. I am now doubting my sanity !!!!!!
Old 10th July 2008, 20:48

I am now doubting my own name. !!!!!!! I was on a general cargo ship for sure. But it may have been the Sheaf Crest not the Sheaf Field!!!! Being out of the navy for 33 years I have been racking my brain as to the correct name
Old 29th August 2008, 12:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1960 - Present

I was on the Sheaf Field as 2nd Mate in the late 60's it was definately Ore carrier as was the Sheaf Wear.

Cheers
Mike Allan
Old 5th September 2008, 15:32
Department: Engineering
Active: 1965 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffield View Post
Hi all. Mention of the River Afton and Dalhanna brought back memories. Were'nt they managed by Huntings of Newcastle?I sailed on the Duffield after she had been converted from a tanker to a bulk carrier. Only carried one cargo of iron ore before she went on California to Japan run carrying timber. Long trips but great ports at either end.
Dalhanna--managed by Huntings.Sailed on her as Jnr. Eng 1969/70. Only one trip before being transferred to Thamesfield (tanker) in Singapore.If I remember correctly Dalhanna used to roll heavily in drydock!!!
Peter
Old 8th September 2008, 15:07

Avistone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernhelenbarrett View Post
Been reading about the ore carriers I did my first 6 months as trainee R/O on the Avistone/GBSV mostly on the La Goulette Bone Algiers Tunis and once to Conakry runs and usually ended up in Middlesbro, Avistone was an ex Fort or
Empire boat if I remember correctly Owned by Aviation & Shipping Co, Jock Purvis was the owner and he had three ex WW2 ships Avisbank Avismere and Avistone. Havent heard what became of the ships or Company but expect
they went the way of all the ore carriers. After Marconi I joined AWA in Australia and now retired in Adelaide. Regards Ern Barrett
Hi sailed on Avistone feb55/April see my reply to the thread under what have you seen that lubbers never will cheers Tony Allen
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:14

Anyone remember Davey Hill chippie..from jarrow?
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:41

My location
Cool Ore Boats

Hi Calvin.
Did a couple of trips on the Orelia.Port Talbot,Bone(North Africa),
Narvik,Irlam on the Manchester Ship Canal.Nice little ship,but did
roll a bit,but soon get used to it.

Dave Williams(R583900)
Old 12th March 2009, 15:30
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1964 - 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by styne View Post
Anyone remember Davey Hill chippie..from jarrow?
Yes.Davie lived in the next street to me,also did my first trip to sea with him in 1964.MV.Edenmore. We were in collision in the English Channel.Unfortunatley Davie died about 4 years ago. Reg a. clark.
Old 18th April 2009, 20:55

Saw the Houlders boats but sailed with the opposition (Mavrolean)
I haven't really been following to closely but I sailed on both the Victore and the Finnamore Meadow and remember a few names such as Captain Newson and John Blamires (2/0)
Always the same. Good times on bad ships! Tins of Tennents in Glasgow and Champagne in Murmansk! . I know I was once on the Bridge in dense fog going down the Kola inlet waiting for us to be blow out of the water by the soviet fleet..........They never did ! but fished the 2/E out of the water a couple of nights after we arrived and saved his life!! (Drunk again)
Then it was back to Betty's

Last edited by Nick Balls; 18th April 2009 at 20:57..
Old 23rd April 2009, 21:38
Active: 1968 - 1994

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim barnes View Post
was on the DUKESGARTH tunnel stbd side of course? creepy place to be in the early hours in bad weather heading midships for the 4 to 8 watch all alone? any pictures of the DUKE?
Rievaulx, Ribblehead, Redcar and Ripon had Stbd tunnels and winter NA was wierd when leaving the engine room going for'd you could see the ship bending quite clearly as the o/h lights disappeared and re-appeared.....
Old 25th April 2009, 13:55

M/V Gothland - Me 1st trip !

Ahoy there ! anybody still around from my 1st trip to sea as Junior Sparks in March 1974 on that mighty fine vessel ? Still picture the faces but some of the names have escaped my "grey matter"
At the time mainly all the Officers onboard were from the Strathclyde region and I believe I was the only English bloke onboard. Nonetheless they made me feel at home and I had a bloody memorable trip ! Think the lecky's name was Dave Sillet ? with his piercing blue eyes he reckoned he was better looking than Paul Newman the actor and could pull any women on two legs !!
My soul mate & senior apprentice was Eddie Morning from Dumbarton his old man worked at the Ballantines whiskey factory down the road and was a local councillor. I'm not ashamed to say that my 1st foreign port was the spoil heaps of Noadibou ! At least the fishing was good !
A couple of runs to Murmansk on the bounce made up for the disappointment of the Sahara as both me & the 2nd mate fell in love with a couple of fine looking Olga's up the road. No chance of getting them back onboard for a ship visit though !!
Southbank Labour Club was a slightly different kettle of fish - as we discharged at Redcar. Being young and innocent at the time me and some of my comrades piled in there for more than a memorable night !
Stayed onboard for approx 3 months during which time I nurtured the taste for Tennants Wee-Goldies (complete with spanner) and 4-Bells dark rum !
The food onboard was wholesome and conjured up under the watchful eye of the Ch Steward Davie who was the minder / keeper of the ships pidgeon "Hector".
The mass majority of us all paid-off under scutiny of HM Customs at Greenock and I for one paid-off in the RED ! Those days it was the silly Marconi 12, 24 or 36 per month thing. Needless to say Bob Porter in the Liverpool office (remember him ?) gave me a good bol...king !! and I reassured him that I'd squared my slopchest / subs by cheque ok. In the same breath I gave Bob a wry smile and declared that i'd had a most memorable 1st trip to sea ! If any of you guys from the Gothland are still with us please e-mail back.
Old 25th April 2009, 17:56

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian J. Huckin View Post
Rievaulx, Ribblehead, Redcar and Ripon had Stbd tunnels and winter NA was wierd when leaving the engine room going for'd you could see the ship bending quite clearly as the o/h lights disappeared and re-appeared.....
Rievaulx also had a port tunnel, not sure if it went forward of midships though.
Old 26th April 2009, 08:11
Active: 1968 - 1994

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltic Wal View Post
Rievaulx also had a port tunnel, not sure if it went forward of midships though.
Wal, 100% right about the Port tunnel, did it come out by Chippies shop? that seems to ring a bell.

Meantime, here is what I remember running like a liitle girl aft down the stbd tunnel....creaking, dripping wet, rusty and spookier than crap. Entered the engine room by the central ballast eductor which was fwd of leckies workshop. Down a level (on Rievaulx) to the two DC main air compressors where the 2/E slept. Have I got it right?

Oh happy days....well, there were happier ones....
Old 6th July 2009, 21:19

Smile M.V Orecrest

Hi to you all,
Just a quick message to daytona 600, I was Apprentice Officer on the
Orecrest in 1960 and the Sparks was nicknamed splash, cant remember his real
name but think it was something Like Waterfall anyway if this is any help
please let me Know, I can add that before I joined The Orecrest My Brother
was 3rd mate on it and that was Derek Simmons, and in fact I had his cabin
when I Joined and yes it was a very good ship, not over keen on the ports of
call but thats another story.

Regards Johnandhelen
Old 8th July 2009, 10:18
Active: 1936 - 1986

Hi John,
Was Captain Jamieson in Orecrest during your time?
Regards
Stan
Old 1st September 2009, 20:05

hi rokerman the sheaf cargo ships were tyne and crest the wear and field were ore carriers then a sdi4/15 launched as the new sheaf field round 1073
Old 4th September 2009, 13:47

Rokerman, Souters had a very close relationship with my old Company Maritime Overseas and at a later date took over the mangement of two of my old ships Har Addir became Yamato and the Har Saggi became the Chihaya. Another vessel of the same class was also managed by Souter's she was the Mount Katherina which became the Mikasa, any knowledge of them?. When I went for my interview for Maritime it was at the Merchant Navy Hotel in Middlesbrough where the Chief was staying and there was also a Souters Super present at the time,(1967).

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 4th September 2009, 23:42

My location
My first trip was with Souters, on the 'Sheaf Arrow' 1950. Loaded iron ore at what was then called Factori Franco Belza, up river from Bilbao.

Taff