Gravesend sea school - Page 15 - Ships Nostalgia
00:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Gravesend sea school

User Tag List

Old 13th September 2011, 12:28

I went there in 1975 and as far as I know it's now a police training school.
Old 13th September 2011, 12:31

I was there Peter April to June 1975 I was one of 6 cooks I think and was trained under a Mr P.B Torres. There were 3 Irish men there and I remember a guy called Jones, cook also. I had some time there and it just seems like yesterday. I ended up joining BP and remained with them for 5 years.
Old 13th September 2011, 12:57

Those names bring back memories especially Little. I was a cook and ended up in the Kitchens for the last 2 weeks of the 10. I do remember going to see the dentist who was a bit of a butcher! Apparently he wasn't satisfied unless he plucked a few from your head. All-in-all some great memories. I even managed to get leading hand and joined BP Tankers after leaving. Brian Fulton - April 1975-June 1975
Old 21st September 2011, 15:47

Memories best forgotten

Gravesend Sea School.....my memories from the early seventies were rowing a lifeboat up the murky Thames river with the temperature barely above freezing. In the town the girls would give you a second glance in the drab uniforms we had to wear to get out and having to share a room with a few dozen fellow trainees farting and snoring all night. At least the payback was well worth it because when at sea the money was pretty good and the runs ashore even better. No worries, a bit of personal discipline does no one harm!!!
Old 25th September 2011, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pond View Post
was at gravesend june79 til oct 79, would like to hear from anyone who was there. i wasin z class
Hi Mark

I was there from 4th June to Oct 79. E class, Fractured my arm in week 6 but carried on until I caught chicken pox so they sent me home. Returned after summer break into a different class. Remember rowing in our tee shirts as weather was lovely that year.
Old 19th October 2011, 00:48
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1968 - 1972

I was at Gravesend nov/ dec 1968 and it was bloody cold that winter the early mornings was not funny either think they were sadist to inflict pain on us .
But thinking back has made me realise it wasn't all doom and gloom as we had good laugh as well
Old 19th October 2011, 02:20
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1980

Hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Mackintosh View Post
Was at Graves End 1949,anyone remember Sweeney Todd??
That was your first port of call m8 sweeny todd if not walk back out the gates and make your way back home Happy days indeed xeal
Old 27th October 2011, 00:24

My location
oldest poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf View Post
Seems like I'm the oldest to post

I was there during summer 1956 in the old building

It was a dump and we had scratchy uniforms, and scratchy blankets

Best wishes to you all

Mark F
I WAS ALSO THERE SUMMER 56 DECK DEPT CHARLES BRYAN.
Old 27th October 2011, 15:38

i was at the sea school 1968...great days...mind blosoms cafe?...there was this boy there at the same time as me...he formed a group and one of the officers got them to leave the school and go into the music industry....for me..the new zealand coast was the best place in the world
Old 28th October 2011, 06:43
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1968 - 1973

My location
Jacobite, I was there until 15th November 1968 also a deck boy. It seems like another lifetime now. They had a film crew there who made a short film called A Concrete Ship, do you remember that ?
Old 29th October 2011, 02:46

Thumbs up Concrete ship

Is it available to purchase anywhere been trying to get a copy for years no joy. Any assistance appreciated Barrow Boy Regards xeal.
Old 30th October 2011, 01:33

My location
Xeal,
Have you tried Snowbow ?
Old 1st November 2011, 01:21

Barrow Boy

I have scoured every archive there is i believe it was a documentary on the lives and workings of the gravesend lads themselves. Apparently it was made by the BBC tried every avenue no joy Regards xeal.
Old 2nd November 2011, 03:12

My location
Xeal,

There is a clip (Concrete Ship) on one of the Snowbow discs, I'll search through them, it was only a minute long but they must have more.
Regards....Nick.
Old 22nd November 2011, 14:50

hi all i was at gravesend sea school in jan 75 to march 75 catering left there and joined the pendennis castle for 3 trips then la loma sugar trader anco sovereign and ss laconica i would like to find a friend of mine who is the only one i remember from sea school we served on the pendennis together then he joined the QE 2 on the maiden trip, the thing i remember from sea school is going to the flying angel club mr mogoran was our life boat instructor and mr little was our instructor for catering the chap i am looking for is kevin dunn he came from south shields if anyone knows him would love to hear from him
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:57
Active: 1957 - 1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
I was at Gravesend in 1960,I don't recal many laughs,hunger yes,I recal eating some exceedingly stale sarnies me mum had put up for the train journey about a week after I arrived,of course eventualy everybody had to give in to hunger and eat the stuff put in front of you at meal times.
Evey course seemed to have its tobacco baron that would sell single capstan at thrupence a go out on the focs'le head
The only redeeming feature I recall was discovering a pub called the Albion Shades that would sell us a pint of black velvet and not report us.
Got into a fist fight with the only other Geordie on my intake and we both nearly got turfed out without our preciouse discharge book but I managed to stop me nose bleeding and he managed to realign his jaw and pretend to be the best of pals when the instructer caught us.

Did yers still sleep in those cells in the 1980's?
Happy days.
hee hee.
I was at gravesend july 57-oct 57 the snap was crap then, the cells was the same, the baccy barons was active , I was one of them 3d each but only Parky's. Mc'greber was the skipper and i remember a bloke name of Faulkner as an instructer. the lads from the vindy came up that year for a sports day best part being the boxing mill we had at the end of the day great days, great memories. Danny Rafferty
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:54
Department: Engineering
Active: 1956 - 1960

I attended Gravesend Sea School July/August 1957 I remeber Cpt. McKeller. Messers Plum and Fish....Instructors.
I had the dubious pleasure (forced) to be Class Leader, on account of I'd been in the Cadets and it was on my c.v.
Starved yes... food parcels from home kept us alive...But I wouldn't have missed for the world !
Old 3rd December 2011, 08:40

coincidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill J Price View Post
I attended Gravesend Sea School July/August 1957 I remeber Cpt. McKeller. Messers Plum and Fish....Instructors.
I had the dubious pleasure (forced) to be Class Leader, on account of I'd been in the Cadets and it was on my c.v.
Starved yes... food parcels from home kept us alive...But I wouldn't have missed for the world !
Hiya Bill we must have been there at the same time.I was a decky so had to do 10 weeks you must have been on the steward's course 6 weeks. remember Mckeller even so i had him down as mc'gregger,glad you put me right. The two instructors you mentioned,i cannot recall i'd think they would be on the catering side.I can recall a deck instructer on the deck side called Faulkner,great bloke, think he was a New Zealander.Coincidence we both decided to join this forum on the same day.I don't expect you would remember a team of lads coming up from the Vindy to try and give us a boxing lesson, which they didn't quite manage,but that aside we had all had a great day,and they were all great days,great memories to have, and the same as you Bill...wouldn't have missed it for the world.hope to hear from you, all the best; Danny Rafferty
Old 5th December 2011, 08:43

I remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
Attachment 17363Attachment 17362Here is the class photo for Dec 56/Jan 57.Mr.Barton is the instructor.
I am on the middle row end left.
Regards
Jim Brady.
was there july57/oct57.decky; cannot remember mr.barton but can remember mr.faulker and mckellar was captain
Old 5th December 2011, 20:31
Active: 1975 - 1983

Sea School

36 years ago today left sea school, what followed was the best 8 years of my working life. Good mates, visited places that most people could only dream about.
So sad that the youth of today will never get the chance to sail on a British flagged ship.
Old 23rd December 2011, 17:01
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1963 - 1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo View Post
Anyone out there go to Gravesend sea school? (the peanut factory!!!).I had some good laughs there, I was there December '80 till April '81, (X class). I belive the place has just about closed down now.
i believe my brother [kevin christian] went to this establishment in the late sixties early seventies,he ended up skipper of fishing boat "PATRICIA CAMPBELL" and was on her many years
Old 27th December 2011, 19:33

class phot's

http://www.m-navydays.com/newpages/gravesend.htm

To all who view this,this is a good link to view many class phot's at the Gravesend training school and more I am on one By Leo Murphy 63/64
Old 15th January 2012, 00:20

Hi I have found photos of the Athelprincess in New Zealand 1961 to 1963, i
would like to get in touch with Brian Walsh who was A.B. on board,he came from Essex and would be about 70 now. A lot of photo,s have him in them and his name on the back. I was also on this ship Anyone out there help me..
[email protected]
Old 19th January 2012, 16:18
Active: 1956 - 1960

Gravesend Sea School

Gravesend eh/ I was there in 1955, when it was in an ex-prison, as someone else remarked. There were some real hard cases there when I was, an innocent from Suffolk. Luckily, I teamed up with a bunch of super Scots lads.Got some photos somewhere. I was sent food parcels from home, which we shared out out. More like a Stalag than a training school. One instructor was named Kitchener, if I remember correctly after all these years, ex-RN. Left 21-10-55, joined SS "Cape Sable" lying at Charlton Buoys on 2-11-55, bound for Bombay as deckboy. Other deckboy was Dereck Hough from Kent, at least, that's how I remember him!
John Fulcher
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seaschool0001.jpg (114.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 19th January 2012, 22:58

My dad was at Gravesend in 1920. I've enjoyed reading this thread.
I'd love to find photos of those very early years.