Gravesend sea school - Page 23 - Ships Nostalgia
01:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Gravesend sea school

User Tag List

Old 22nd July 2014, 01:36
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1975

chash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelasj View Post
Hello to you all,
my husband who is now 67 would like to find someone who was at Gravesend Seaschool for 9 months in 1962. (He tried once somewhere online, and now does not want to try any more, so I am trying on his behalf). He seems to doubt he would find anyone, but I am giving it another go. He does not remember any names, but I have the following info. Please if you were on any of these and you remember Joe, or Jonah, or Malcolm Crossley Jones, who was 15-16 at the time, please get in touch with me:
- 9 months of sea school in Gravesend spring/summer 1962.
- On 11.Nov.1962 took part in the Cenotaph parade.
- First ship he went on was "Stirling Castle", a trip to South Africa, 6 weeks and 2 weeks back. So first ship around December 1962. He did this trip 3 times.
- Around June 1963 joined the ship "The Franconia" for a 6 months trip to New York. So all together till about May 1964.
Anyone out there? Ring any bells? Any photos from that time or ship, or Gravesend Seaschool photos from that time?
It would be greatly appreciated, I am sure he would love to see something of that era, especially find someone online from that era (or at least a son or daughter...).
He has unfortunately forgotten his number or any ID number, or such.
We live in Vienna, he has just retired, and I am still working. He spends a lot of time online... mainly reading the UK news ...

Thanks in advance!
Nela Soldatov-Jones
i was at Gravesend in 58 i to was on the sterling castle and Franconia ex ivernia don't know if this helps all the best chasH
Old 11th August 2014, 10:25
Active: 1975 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper View Post
Apologies for the re-plug, but if anybody hasn't seen this yet the whole three month "tour" is in "Peanut" in all it's glory (deck course).

Amazon or Authorhouse or directly contact me via PM for a signed copy.

Jasper
Really enjoyed the book, brought back lots of great memories. However I find it hard to believe that you do not mention anyone dropping out at Gravesend. Can't remember the exact figure but I was their Sept to Dec 1975 and just over 50% failed to make it through the training. Remember very clearly four walking out whilst waiting to see Sweeney Todd. Most dropped out in the first 3 to 4 weeks but even had them leaving in week 11. I wobbled a bit as my father was seriously ill. He died 15 days after I left. Pleased I saw it through. Happiest days of my life. I would love to hear from anyone who was in U class at the same time.
Old 11th August 2014, 13:21
Active: 1974 - 1989

Really glad you enjoyed the book, Bob.
You know what, it didn't even cross my mind about anybody dropping out. My class must have been unique as I dont recall it happening whilst I was there (It probably did, just not that I was aware).
Thanks for reading and all the best.

John (Jasper).
Old 16th August 2014, 05:09

My location
I can remember one guy dropping out in the ninth week of the ten week catering course!! Just said had enough and left. A few went earlier in course,probably after a dorm raid or the dreaded haircut.I loved my time there though and met a few good guys there,some i email still after 43 years.
Old 21st August 2014, 15:32

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelasj View Post
Hello to you all,
my husband who is now 67 would like to find someone who was at Gravesend Seaschool for 9 months in 1962. (He tried once somewhere online, and now does not want to try any more, so I am trying on his behalf). He seems to doubt he would find anyone, but I am giving it another go. He does not remember any names, but I have the following info. Please if you were on any of these and you remember Joe, or Jonah, or Malcolm Crossley Jones, who was 15-16 at the time, please get in touch with me:
- 9 months of sea school in Gravesend spring/summer 1962.
- On 11.Nov.1962 took part in the Cenotaph parade.
- First ship he went on was "Stirling Castle", a trip to South Africa, 6 weeks and 2 weeks back. So first ship around December 1962. He did this trip 3 times.
- Around June 1963 joined the ship "The Franconia" for a 6 months trip to New York. So all together till about May 1964.
Anyone out there? Ring any bells? Any photos from that time or ship, or Gravesend Seaschool photos from that time?
It would be greatly appreciated, I am sure he would love to see something of that era, especially find someone online from that era (or at least a son or daughter...).
He has unfortunately forgotten his number or any ID number, or such.
We live in Vienna, he has just retired, and I am still working. He spends a lot of time online... mainly reading the UK news ...

Thanks in advance!
Nela Soldatov-Jones
Lots of photo,s in the gallery of Gravesend S S. I was there in 1963.
Old 14th September 2014, 15:13
Active: 1964 - 1967

New Photo found 1964-1965 Greavesend ss
Old 16th September 2014, 09:12

Wheres the photo Vin?
Old 16th September 2014, 19:53

Sorry had problems with downloading Photo. It is in the gallery somewhere not the easy way to download, as no section for Greavesend school.
Old 16th September 2014, 20:01

Found it I put it in the members faces, in the gallery.
Old 2nd December 2014, 20:08
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1965

Clive Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd young View Post
I noticed that most of the posting come from inmates from the 1970's and 80's Anyone there in 1958 or am I the only one still breathing
Hi Syd nearest I can do is 1959 remember being locked in the store room one Saturday afternoon scrubbing the floor as others have said did no harm.all the best
Old 2nd December 2014, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Wilson View Post
Hi Syd nearest I can do is 1959 remember being locked in the store room one Saturday afternoon scrubbing the floor as others have said did no harm.all the best
Vinny Gugniewicz Still going strong, but not a great of interest on the Net. bit on Facebook, 1964 Greavesend then to sea,
wish you a Merry Christmas, and a happy new year.

Old 3rd December 2014, 11:33
Active: 1962 - 1986

Graves end sea school 1962

I was at gravesend jan 62 to March 62,sailed on first vessel march 62 as catering boy
Old 24th December 2014, 05:32
Active: 1971 - 1976

Smile Cape Howe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffers View Post
I attended the NSTS Sept-Dec '68. I went down to the pool when I got back to South Shields and was given my first ship, the ore carrier Cape Howe. We sailed on the 17th Dec, 4 days before my 17th birthday and I was away for 6 months on that first trip.

I don't remember many details about the sea school, I know I got in a bit of bother because I wasn't very good at doing my laundry. A couple of scouse lads used to pick on me about it, until one night they decided to apply boot polish to my privates. I put up quite a struggle, as you might guess! They were so impressed with my efforts that we were the best of pals for the rest of the course.

I must have improved my ironing because I was later made up to Leading Hand.

I don't remember any names from the course, but the school was run by a Captain Adlam? (not sure about spelling) at the time. I do remember that we nick-named the school rules book "The thoughts of Mao Tse Adlam" inspired by Mao's little Red book of the Chinese cultural revolution.

Rowing on the Thames is one memory I have retained, it was bl**dy cold!
Hi,
Just read your post with inetrest,i was at the sea school July 72 to November 72, and on the 24th November 1972 I joined my first ship in Newport ( south Wales ) and it to was the Cape Howe, my first job was to be the peggy for the week, well they had never even mentioned this role at Gravesend, it was a real shock along with all the other things that I was to witness in my new and early career,i managed 6 weeks or so on this fine ship before articles were closed and I was given the option of staying or leaving,i left as the ship was bound for Murmansk ( Russia ) and my body was telling me to head south for the warmer weather, which I did and things were pretty dam good after that I managed 7 years in total, really enjoyed it,still work with ships today, but am shore based and have been for many years now. happy Christmas to all
Old 13th February 2015, 22:23

I was at Gravesend 60/61. I had my card taken about 3 times over the 10 weeks
Scrub the yard for an hour at night. The officers entertained us over Christmas Time and we got a week off had to do an extra week though.My training officer was Mr Wilson great character.
It was hard but it was great did me the world of good
Old 24th March 2015, 02:28
Active: 1974 - 1976

hi steve was there same time as you. wouldn't mind a copy of that pic.Happy Days
Old 24th March 2015, 09:11
Active: 1962 - 1986

I was there in 62jan/March sailed out of tilbury on a worldie,march31st of 62,as a commie waiter on captains table,eventually became a head chef until 88,retired as ships were scarce
Old 18th June 2015, 05:19

N.S.T.S.Gravesend

Hello all.I have lost my class photo from gravesend n.s.t.s. I am not sure of the exact date but it was 1959 deck class.My instructor was Tug Wilson.If anyone knows where i can get a copy please let me know.
Old 20th June 2015, 12:30
Active: 1959 - 1964

Gravesend Sea School

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard glassup View Post
Hello all.I have lost my class photo from gravesend n.s.t.s. I am not sure of the exact date but it was 1959 deck class.My instructor was Tug Wilson.If anyone knows where i can get a copy please let me know.
Hi Richard, I was there in 1959 finished end of October, Higgins was my instructor, can`t remember having a class photo. Were you there for the Seamans Service at St. Pauls I was in the Colour Party. I also had coloured pens and drew tatoos on the lads arms. Regards T.C. You`re the first name I have seen who was there in 59.
Old 28th June 2015, 09:48

Gravesend 1979.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONY CLYNE View Post
Hi Richard, I was there in 1959 finished end of October, Higgins was my instructor, can`t remember having a class photo. Were you there for the Seamans Service at St. Pauls I was in the Colour Party. I also had coloured pens and drew tatoos on the lads arms. Regards T.C. You`re the first name I have seen who was there in 59.
Thanks for that T.C. I left end of july,must have been the class before yours.While i was there we put on a boxing tournament on the promenade I dont know what the occasion was but it was a big day in gravesend.The same weekend we traveled to Eltham and did the same there,this was all organised by our P.T.I.a small but muscular Liverpudlian,do you remember him?I got friendly with a lovely local girl named Kathleen she would throw cigies over the gate when i was on guard duty,ah what fond memories.With regards to the class photo,I have one but having put it somewhere for safe keeping cant find it.Thanks again for your reply,all the best .Richard.
Old 28th June 2015, 09:54

Gravesend 1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard glassup View Post
Thanks for that T.C. I left end of july,must have been the class before yours.While i was there we put on a boxing tournament on the promenade I dont know what the occasion was but it was a big day in gravesend.The same weekend we traveled to Eltham and did the same there,this was all organised by our P.T.I.a small but muscular Liverpudlian,do you remember him?I got friendly with a lovely local girl named Kathleen she would throw cigies over the gate when i was on guard duty,ah what fond memories.With regards to the class photo,I have one but having put it somewhere for safe keeping cant find it.Thanks again for your reply,all the best .Richard.
I had put the wrong year.Should have been 1959.
Old 20th August 2015, 13:46

Went to the 'factory' Janurary76 to April 76, Still have my old watchcard T class - berth 4c. so if anyone found any money under the bunk after i left ?.. I want it back !
One incident sticks in my mind from my time there is when a bunch of us were called out to help rescue a horse that had fell into the canal. lt was a very cold wintry night and we were up to our knees in mud but thankfuly they were able to save the poor thing. I have great memories from the place and the lads i met while there.
Old 6th September 2015, 18:45
Active: 1961 - 1964

I was at the N S T S ,Gravesend from the first week in Jan 61 to mid March 61,a Mr Higgins was the Instructor,never for got my time there, in winter .But i have to say,it set me up for a lot of life experience 's ,I now live in Western Australia,have done for many years.Any body still a round from that time Sollihull
Old 6th September 2015, 19:02
Active: 1961 - 1964

I have just seen your post Zulusmith 21, you where a month behind me,at the School, i remember your self there, and you being very sick at the time,you would have to be the first one on here from that time,that i remember.
Old 26th October 2015, 23:46

Was there sept-nov 74 gud laugh joined first ship end Nov 74 Br admiral still St sea for my sins 40yrs loved every minute deep sea
Old 7th November 2015, 21:16
Active: 1974 - 1977

Gravesend Sea School June-sept 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo View Post
Anyone out there go to Gravesend sea school? (the peanut factory!!!).I had some good laughs there, I was there December '80 till April '81, (X class). I belive the place has just about closed down now.
I was at the sea school as above my name is ian ockleford all i can say what a place but you got used to it? i will attach a photo of the class maybe someone recognizes themselves i am second row third from left
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 034.jpg (172.9 KB, 53 views)