James Dredging Company. - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
08:08

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

James Dredging Company.

User Tag List

Old 28th July 2014, 17:03

John Hay ... retired early 70s

Hi , Anyone remember John Hay who retired in the early 70s. Scottish guy.... he was my mother's step father !! He worked out of Woolston(Southampton)....
Old 28th July 2014, 19:34
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1984

John Hay

I worked with Jack Hay,a steam engineer, on several jobs for James. Last I heard of Jack,Someone told me he had "taken charge" of
a bar on a cross channel ferry.That quite a few years ago,and probably
just a "story". He was a Scot and well liked,very good at his job.
Ericof

Last edited by Ericof_t110; 29th July 2014 at 07:47..
Old 22nd November 2014, 05:01
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 2005

Hi Eric. Just to let you know that my dad Sam Jupe passed away on 18th November 4 weeks before his 97th birthday. My brother has sent an article to the Portsmouth News naming dad as the last survivor of the sinking of the PS Portsdown. It is too big a file to download here Regards. Ray
Old 23rd November 2014, 17:41

Nostalgia.

Hi Ray,sorry to hear of Sam passing on,my wife and I were recently talking about when I worked in Ireland on the "AFRICA" Sam was Master of "F101",I did the run back to James yard on the "F102"with George Flood.I shall look out for your article in "Portsmouth News"Thanks for letting me know, Best Wishes,Eric.
Old 28th October 2017, 10:56

Photographs of Robert Ernest Victor James Esq.

Hello All. Does anyone have any pictures of Robert Ernest Victor James Esq please? I've searched and have none. I know it's a long shot because of the passing of years. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by OceansAway; 28th October 2017 at 10:58..
Old 28th October 2017, 17:06

Dredgers

Dad worked for some time for Tilbury Contacting and Dredging Company which was part of the Bos Kalis (Westminster Dredging Group0
His main experience in Southampton was just before D Day, he was awaiting taking a Suction Dredger "Tilburian"to Arromanche to dredge the harbour area (as it became) and to ballast the blockships.
He was rudely awaken in the early hours by an Army Officer who told him he would have to move immediately. Well with coal fired boilers and only winches to move it wasn't just a matter of turning a key, which Dad most forcefully expressed. He did do his best as he was told the reason for moving was that he was sitting on an unexploded bomb!
Later on just after the end of the war he took a bucket dredger to Harwich and had quite a lot of interruptions in the dredging by the Bucket Man shouting "There's another bomb (or shell) in the Bucket"
Old 5th November 2017, 12:55
Organisation: Tugs

Hullo to everyone on this site and am a new boy here. I joined James Dredging in the early '70's as trainee tug skipper ( "you will soon get the hang of it" said Jim Cluston, the Marine superintendent!) I was given the dutch tug SNIP with Ron Whitlock on the opposite shift, running transporter barges between the bucket dredger Afrika and the steam powered pump ashore unit the Carnroe. After a couple of years I was junior skipper on the James 95 in Scotland and St Nazaire. I came ashore as Crew Manager until I left around 1980. I met up with Ted Wright, Tidrip skipper, recently who, despite being 93 next birthday is still alert and healthy. Sadly I believe both Ken and Len Whitlock passed away earlier this year. If I'm wrong about this would someone please correct me.

My interest has been awoken by recently finding the tug Jumsey and researching her history. She was the smallest tug that James's operated in Southampton during my time there, but one of my favorites. I have discovered she was built in Holland in 1928 and came to James's from new. They must have had a contract with Southern Railway as she was employed 1928 -1937 at Lymington, towing ferry barges with livestock and wheeled vehicles, between the mainland and Yarmouth. The RoRo ferry Lymington arrived in 1937 after which the Jumsey show up as a boom defence support vessel in the west solent until 1947. From this time until the mid 70's she was towing dredging barges in Southampton. She was sold to the Tees and a friend of mine John Radford, delivered her. I believe she worked on the Tees until 2002 and next shows up on the Tyne in rather poor condition. I found out she was lying in a dry dock between Doncaster and Rotherham. Last week My wife and I made a pilgrimage to pat the old girl and say good bye. She is a forlorn sight now. the wheelhouse, engine, propellor and shaft all gone. Hull, deck, housings and bulwarks all perforated. A sad end to 89 years splendid service. I would love to hear from anyone who can throw any more light on her history. Peter Smith
PS Really sorry to hear Sam Jupe has passed away. He was a good friend to me and an inspirational skipper.
Old 5th November 2017, 14:20
Organisation: Tugs

Jumsey

Hopefully here are a couple of photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0697.jpg (241.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0687.jpg (222.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 13th January 2019, 18:11

John MacLachlan ("Mac")

Hi everybody. Happy to be a member of this forum. Hoping to find out some information/stories on my late Father, John MacLachlan, who worked for James' Dredging Company in Southampton, and later Westminster Dredging Company. He worked there from the late 50s up until his retirement in 1983.

He was quite a character and well known and loved by many he worked with. Perhaps you remember him? He was known by many as "Mac." He's the 2nd person from the left in this photo. I think it was taken in Doha during the 60s. Maybe you know the other men in the photo?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Photos (98).JPG (153.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 15th January 2019, 17:30

Johnny Mac

Hello Janice, I worked on some of the same jobs and craft that your Dad did.The photo showed Sam Jupe/Mac/?/Willy Ross/Bill Cunningham
not sure of the other two.I wasn't in Doha,but have fond memories of
"Tilbury Toiler",particularly in Aberdeen,also "Afrika","Carnroe" and a few other Dredgers. Your Dad was a good man and well liked,we used to chuckle at the stories he told of his 'caravanning' trips.
The good old days, Best Wishes. EB
Old 16th January 2019, 16:53

Thanks for the info. I do remember the names of those dredgers you mention. I did recognise Bill Cunningham, Same Jupe and Willy Ross because they visited our house many times. We had many happy adventures in the caravan with dad, including accidentally driving onto the runway at Heathrow Airport! This was back in the day, when security wasn't so tight.

Hopefully, I'll find out who the other two in the photo are. It would be nice to know.

Best wishes.
Old 9th May 2019, 15:13

Hi Everybody,
I joined James Dredging on my 15th Birthday, which was 28 th August 1966.working with my Dad, Jack Cook, who was at that time skipper of the Dibden Bay. i was the cooks boy for a while and then transferred to the launch, the name escapes me at the moment, I remember a few names from the time, eg, the Cove,s i think there were a few brothers but i remember Brian. also the Van Toor's. Johnny walker, Pete Tucker, Len Whitlock.
I sometimes had to transfer to The Carnro, at times to help out the cook on board.
we were based at 50 berth, right alongside the dry dock, remember the old caravan that passed as the office very well.
I can recall them doing the first piling operations ready for what is now called the new docks, from berth 101 onwards.
would be lovely to hear from anybody that remembers me or my Dad.