HMS Queen Elizabeth - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
08:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMS Queen Elizabeth

User Tag List

Old 1st June 2019, 04:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 2001

My location
I have been caught out oversimplifying and withdraw the "aggressively" unreservedly. Rather too abstract and subject to misinterpretation.
The hull protection problem would be relatively simple if it only involved a steel hull, failures of protective coatings and bronze propellers under static conditions. This sadly is seldom the case as most ships carry numerous galvanic couples, some localized, some more general. This, I would imagine, would be especially so with naval vessels fitted with a complex range of equipment.
My most notable experience with de-zincification was with two coal fired steamers built in the 80's as a result of the 70's fuel crisis. (But that's another story.) The main cooling saltwater inlet valves, amongst others, eroded quite rapidly, mainly as a result of the influence of "Defcon" equipment designed to counter marine growth in cooling systems.
Old 1st June 2019, 10:50
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

I hope we were chatting not arguing!

Not only hulls and their fittings. Alcan, more an advertising gimmick than naval architecture, had aluminium mainmasts built on Northern Venture and Northern Progress. Every out-fitting (Christmas tree etc.), most available in steel or bronze only, of course, insulated from it (if I remember correctly, I had an idea they also had an 'earth' strap between them which does not seem to make good corrosion sense).
Old 2nd June 2019, 03:23
Active: 1964 - 2001

My location
All in the spirit of learning and sharing and as often as not with tongue in cheek. If you visit my info page as I have yours, the photo portrays the Monty Python philosophers' pose, not any claim on my part to membership of the institution, (although I do harbour a secret hope of elevation to FRS.)

It seems we have a few things in common, (and I have already forgiven you for starting life as a 'sparks.')
Old 2nd June 2019, 11:23
Active: 1970 - Present

It seems we have a few things in common, (and I have already forgiven you for starting life as a 'sparks.')

I haven't.
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:37

That's because it took one job away from the fenian legion normally providing Macaroni with godless key fodder.
Old 3rd June 2019, 16:44
Active: 1963 - 2013

The aircraft carrier valves were supplied by Score Peterhead,they received the order for all valves for both vessels.
Old 3rd June 2019, 21:21
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
I hope we were chatting not arguing!

Not only hulls and their fittings. Alcan, more an advertising gimmick than naval architecture, had aluminium mainmasts built on Northern Venture and Northern Progress. Every out-fitting (Christmas tree etc.), most available in steel or bronze only, of course, insulated from it (if I remember correctly, I had an idea they also had an 'earth' strap between them which does not seem to make good corrosion sense).
This is what you need !! https://triclad.com/product/ saw it used in the restoration of a J Class racer (Valsheda?) at, I think, Campers around 1998, comes in strips, you can weld the steel side to steel and the aluminium side to aluminium, allegedly no galvanic problems.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 4th June 2019, 00:18

Duncan, I think that is exactly what was done at the foot of the mast, afterwards coated. I also think I remember something about such a process being done by a thermite process, possibly even a Tomorrows World 'thing'.
Old 7th June 2019, 21:54
Active: 1973 - 1983

I was on a couple of old ships built in the 1950's that had a degausing system consisting of copper wire round the internal structure of the Hull connected to some box or other. The fancy cathodic protection systems hadn't come in yet when those ship were built, but had lumps of zinc welded to strategic places.