"Side Swiper" Morse Key - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
14:08

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

"Side Swiper" Morse Key

User Tag List

Old 28th December 2014, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.hopcroft View Post
I bought this in CapeTown when I joined ZSHI. The desk was fore/aft, so yes indeed, it's operation was quite dependent on rolling, and so had to be moved according to roll !

It isn't connected to anything in this thumbnail.

David

+
Hi David, Still got mine, can confirm everything you say, bought it in Otaru for 5 1958, it still works. rgds Tabnab
Old 28th December 2014, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
For a lot of R/O's SN "understood" was used more like a kick-start.
Yes, it was a handy way of commencing one's transmission--rather in the spirit of "Here I am, so start listening!" Rather than "SN", it was very often sent with such emphasis and bravado that it was more like "EEEN". It was so enjoyable, indeed, that one often repeated it a couple of times before launching into the transmission proper. Ah, great days! Bring 'em back!
Old 29th December 2014, 03:33
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1980 - 1991

Yes, I remember E E E N.

Halcyon days.
Old 29th December 2014, 09:37

SN - I thought that was when they were thinking what to say.

John T
Old 29th December 2014, 10:53

You just gave your own translation, hen.

John T
Old 29th December 2014, 11:11

Did I do that? I just looked in my photo file and can't find that. At least I was invited , were you invited ot your daughter's wedding?

John T
Old 29th December 2014, 19:17
Active: 1963 - 1995

Rob - Yes, that's the one.

TabNab - I took the four sucker feet off as they proved useless, and stuck on a rubber pad with a spongy back. Worked fine and it is still there !!

When on 500 at GKZ, if I wound it up a bit and went out imi (?) GKZ on CW, I was just about guaranteed a Russian would answer with an obs message !!

David

+
Old 29th December 2014, 21:58
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1979 - Present

I stand corrected and didn't know GKA used bug keys. I didn't work them much though. The usual routes were in the Far East or Australasia.
I do remember that when I did work GKA they were very good and would try to match their sending speeds with the ship's R/O. In my case they would have to slow down quite a bit !
Old 3rd January 2015, 03:23

My location
Re reading fast morse, if anyone was at Sydneyradio/VIS they would remember Kev Hiscock who could take it easily at 35 wpm direct on the teleprinter, light and puff away on his pipe, talk to you ,then catch up with the
traffic, especially working the Islands, Nauru or Norfolk Island air traffic. He also designed the PNG flag whilst up at VIG/Moresbyradio
Ern Barrett
Old 3rd January 2015, 03:31

My location
Also meant to say that at Moresbyradio/VIG we worked all telex messages out of Papua and had to read 5-unit tape, also worked the Top20 R/T Channels and CRS at the Receiving Station out at Jacksons Airstrip, did a spell there then a spell in the Town Office hammering out messages on the thumpingbanger machines in 5-unit whilst receiving the incoming stuff from SOR/Sydney. We were also on callouts during the night if somebody wanted to phone out which meant a drive out to Jacksons to contact Vis and arrange a phone channel then
shut everything down after the call was finished, drive home the 9 miles and still be up in the morning to start your shift. There was only the Manager and 5 R/o' for this job too...The good old days!!!!
Old 3rd January 2015, 05:32
Organisation: Coastguard
Active: 1972 - 1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernhelenbarrett View Post
Re reading fast morse, if anyone was at Sydneyradio/VIS they would remember Kev Hiscock who could take it easily at 35 wpm direct on the teleprinter, light and puff away on his pipe, talk to you ,then catch up with the
traffic, especially working the Islands, Nauru or Norfolk Island air traffic. He also designed the PNG flag whilst up at VIG/Moresbyradio
Ern Barrett
I can verify the legendary abilities of Kev. I met Kev Hiscock briefly at VIM in September or October 1974 when my wife-to-be and I called in to the station. He was working a ship on MF while talking to us. He gave "K" and the ship's R/O started into his next message. Kev continued talking to us while stuffing his pipe with tobacco, lit it up and at about 20 words into the text he began to bang away on the Siemens T-100 teleprinter copying the message. He continued to puff away and talk to us throughout and never missed a beat.

That's Kev far right in the photo.

Cheers

Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ian MacArthur 2nd from left and Kev Hiscock far right.jpg (37.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 3rd January 2015, 05:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernhelenbarrett View Post
There was only the Manager and 5 R/o' for this job too...The good old days!!!!

Pity they aren't still there!

P2M is a mess.
Old 3rd January 2015, 09:52

Quote:
Always remember the rapid-fire dot speed coming from Sydney/VIS on 500 kcs and was told they used an Australian made "Buzza" key.

http://www.morsemad.com/bugs.htm
There may have been Buzza keys used on the coast stations, but I never saw one, and it would not have been supplied by OTC aka On The Cheap! The standard key supplied to all Australian coast stations in my time (1972 to 1992) was the Junker shown below.

If you wanted to use anything else it was buy your own. The Japanese Dentsu Seiki BK-100 was popular, as were the various Vibroplex keys and iambic paddles and electronic keys.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Junker Morse key.jpg (98.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 3rd January 2015, 10:40

Quote:
VIP.. I don't think a Junkers key could be referred to as "otc!" They're still recognised to day as the creme de la creme..
My Buzza link does say VIS and my time was late 50's on the Singapore East Oz run. The only other station I recall that sent morse in the same style was Shanghai/XSG.
Hi R651400. I agree, Junker keys were certainly not "otc" and were indeed creme de la creme. I have one that was liberated from VIP and I cherish it. On The Cheap (as OTC was called by the employees) because OTC wouldn't spend any more money than they had to - on anything. They did not provide bug keys to R/Os on coast stations in addition to the Junker. In my time in the coast radio service I didn't see any of the Buzza keys being used, but I did see many other brands. I'm not saying the Buzza wasn't used, just that I never saw one.
Old 4th January 2015, 06:44

VIP I probably worked you around 1989 to 1992 from SS KING/WAKL. I often heard VIPpurring away idle on SiTOR so I called up. The Op said VIP had a log perodic on receive, and I gave my QTH which was in North Atlantic near New York as we were awaiting pilot boat.

W5PEH Pete has a nice recording of a sideswiper on the web site I mentioned for side swiper net.

Marconi 365 would make great code. I can manage 23 wpm with one, I qualified for my first class telegraph with a Vibroplex and a Royal Empress all caps with slashed zero typewriter, or MILL.

A sideswiper cand faster than a up and down key, 35 wpm is possible andbit is non fatiguing.

DR
Old 4th January 2015, 09:43

djringjr: "....A sideswiper cand faster than a up and down key, 35 wpm is possible andbit is non fatiguing."

You're correct dringir but what's the point if nobody can read it? Fast typing is the same - you probably wrote your message at about 50 wpm and made three typos.

John T
Old 5th January 2015, 02:38

His dot/dash weighting is a bit off. But it sounds pretty good.
Old 5th January 2015, 03:41

Going slightly off topic.. Ok, way off topic!

I wish these were around when I was in the job. Vostok Amphibia Radio Room watch on the left and Smiths PRS-28 on the right.

I prefer the Smiths and would like to buy one. BUT. I already have a large collection of military watches and the missus would not be happy with me buying another watch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radio Room - Vostok Amphibia.jpg (515.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Radio Room - Smiths PRS-28.jpg (55.9 KB, 20 views)