Volksmarine - GDR - Ships Nostalgia
20:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Volksmarine - GDR

User Tag List

Old 16th August 2018, 21:48

Volksmarine - GDR

Our new neighbours came round for a drink this evening and during the course of conversation it turned out that he'd been a radio op in the 'Volksmarine' - the navy of the former GDR.

He mentioned something that I'd heard of but never come across: they would send Morse code (not RTTY) from a keyboard. Was this ever used by the RN/MN?

But on another tack, presumably the Volksmarine used tactical callsigns but did they also have a main WT station with an GDR 'D' callsign? It would be fun to ring his doorbell with such a call.

W
Old 17th August 2018, 00:00

Would Rugen Radio/DHS qualify?
Old 17th August 2018, 03:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1980 - 1991

A mate of mine used a keyboard to send CW, but they were very rare...
Old 24th August 2018, 00:58

I used a DGM Morse keyboard on SS COVE TRADER/KRBY, and SS KING/WAKL and also at Tuckerton Radio (NJ, USA) when I worked there. I think a few other ships. But as traffic went to satellite, I took to taking my Vibroplex with me for sending the required position reports (AMVER or USMER) and OBS reports on WT. My last WT QSO with a USA coast station was with NMF when I sent my arrival message back in 1992 before I went home on medical leave to have a cataracts removed at 42 years of age.

DR
David J. Ring, Jr., N1EA

Last edited by djringjr; 24th August 2018 at 01:01..
Old 24th August 2018, 11:31

I went for a booze up on a DDR ship in Takoradi. We were supposed to reciprocate and the RO (a bit "political") wanted me to send a message on W/T making a date (can't recall why we couldn't do it on VHF unless we or them didn't have it). I told him I couldn't because our aerial was all over the deck and he reckoned that "macht nichts". I don't think my Oceanspan would have worked due to interlocks but he wouldn't have it. I think I finished up going up the road, commie git!

John T
Old 24th August 2018, 16:27
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1986

Now now JT that's not very PC !
Old 25th August 2018, 00:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks69 View Post
Now now JT that's not very PC !
It was OK then, Chris, the Thought Police hadn't been invented then - you should have heard what we called the locals!

John T
Old 30th August 2018, 09:12

Thanks for the replies about the GDR coast stn and the keyboard Morse. I haven't yet got around to talking to him about Rugen Radio but have checked it out. Perhaps Y5M would be the call that he'd know.
M
Old 31st August 2018, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldspan View Post
Thanks for the replies about the GDR coast stn and the keyboard Morse. I haven't yet got around to talking to him about Rugen Radio but have checked it out. Perhaps Y5M would be the call that he'd know.
M
Ruegen Radio was pretty good, you could hear them everywhere - call sign DHS. Didn't think it was a military outfit but if you sent them an OBS they'd probably start a Stasi file on you.

John T
Old 31st August 2018, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
It was OK then, Chris, the Thought Police hadn't been invented then - you should have heard what we called the locals!

John T
Probably 'little black princesses' depending upon the amount of beer consumed, or 'little red princesses' if you were at the bauxite berth

Last edited by seaman38; 31st August 2018 at 18:29.. Reason: old age!