BP in a lighter vein - Ships Nostalgia
01:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BP in a lighter vein

User Tag List

Old 12th February 2015, 23:56
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

BP in a lighter vein

BP in a lighter vein.

I like many others received an email from BPS HO about the events of the 2015 100th anniversary events and planning update , I always look at these pieces of information as I never know what I might find to add to my collection of BP memorabilia.

I went into the website at www.bp.com/shipping. I wonder about those two Apprentices ( they had to be Navigating, not Engineering, Engineer’s do not do that!) dressed in their perfect tropical White gear (mine never looked like that, certainly never long white socks!) and off the old Adventure (1951/1973). Now that’s more like it, one of the old ‘steamers', my favourite was the Sovereign in 1960.

Moving on and clicking “Read More” in line with the left ear of the Skipper ( BTW quite acceptable to call a BP Master a Skipper, but I was chastised elsewhere in SN calling a Master of Cunard Liner a ‘Skipper”, so I’m wary) and I came across, ‘Who we are’. Now the first line is ‘Our History’. I’m sad now when using left/right arrows on the launching picture not to find the picture of the ‘British Crown’, it has been removed.

I have very special personal feelings about her, she should be returned!

Now Clicking on ‘Leadership team’ and find we (the seagoing personnel) are represented by an ex 1971 Navigating Cadet as CEO and even an ex Dual Navigating/Engineering Cadet circa 1990, as Director- Singapore, well done! (Dual Cadetship is totally foreign to me I had enough work learning one profession)

So then I moved on to ‘Our Fleet’ which I think is my real area of interest, so many different classes and nice to see some of the old names appearing again, Courage, Councillor, Pride, Purpose etc, etc. They will never bring back my first ship the “EMPRESS’, who has Empresses these days!

Then I came onto for me the highlight of this posting....... the ‘Gem’ class ships, Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire and Diamond.

I live on Vancouver Island in an area known as the ‘Gem streets’; Emerald, Ruby, (No Sapphire, too hard to spell), Diamond, Crystal and Opal, I live on Ruby.

My goodness what an ugly looking stern shown on the photograph of the British Ruby, much better sterns on my Ruby.

I should have guessed I was destined for a long association with BP, they named a ship after my street, well sort of.

Lots more interesting ‘stuff’ in their website, if you look.

Graham
Old 13th February 2015, 03:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1956 - 2005

Graham,
There is a photo of the Sovereign Galley!!!
Also one of the 1964 Ensign, Engine Control Room. I was Chief on the Ensign twice (73/74) but the photo is not of the Ensign engine room that I was on! Still the article is interesting reading. How times have changed - for the better - I wonder?
Enjoyed your comments re the two cadets. I never had a pair of long white socks.
Roger
Old 13th February 2015, 06:37
Active: 1959 - 1963

Possibly not "perfect" tropical white gear Graham, one of the cadets is wearing white shoes whilst the other appears to be wearing black. If so one is out of uniform surely. Wouldn't happen in Everards.
Old 13th February 2015, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefCharles View Post
Graham,
Also one of the 1964 Ensign, Engine Control Room. I was Chief on the Ensign twice (73/74) but the photo is not of the Ensign engine room that I was on! Still the article is interesting reading. How times have changed - for the better - I wonder?
Enjoyed your comments re the two cadets. I never had a pair of long white socks.
Roger
Roger

Yup I saw the Sovereign's galley photo, when would I go in the galley? I do not think I ever went in any galleys. 12/4 sneaking, not me! the 12/4 was certainly not my watch, possibly one reason why I left.

I wonder when that Ensign control room photo was taken , I would like to know who the two EA's were. It's a long time back now but I thought that EA's at sea in my time did not wear white boiler suits, I thought they were brown, only white when JE. My first ship was the Empress a 4 legged Doxford, crankcase work soon after FWE was nuts in a white boilersuit. I even have memories of scrubbing those brown boilersuits in the aft Engineer's changing room on a black and white tiled floor......they never came clean.

I was never renowned for my washing and ironing talents so tended to wear rumpled Khaki tropical gear with that nice 2nd day of use patina

Much preferred the Battle dress jacket to the reefer.

Most certainly times have changed, I never sailed a ship with a control room, all "listen and touchy/feely" in my times. And as for DUAL cadetships how really did that come about, and with what success?

Graham
Old 13th February 2015, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauvaka View Post
Possibly not "perfect" tropical white gear Graham, one of the cadets is wearing white shoes whilst the other appears to be wearing black. If so one is out of uniform surely. Wouldn't happen in Everards.
I never noticed that, I think my attention was on the guy on the left who has something in his his left hand , I wonder what?

I always though black shoes went so nicely with white gear, or flip flops !

Graham
Old 13th February 2015, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
BP in a lighter vein.

I like many others received an email from BPS HO about the events of the 2015 100th anniversary events and planning update , I always look at these pieces of information as I never know what I might find to add to my collection of BP memorabilia.

I went into the website at www.bp.com/shipping. I wonder about those two Apprentices ( they had to be Navigating, not Engineering, Engineer’s do not do that!) dressed in their perfect tropical White gear (mine never looked like that, certainly never long white socks!) and off the old Adventure (1951/1973). Now that’s more like it, one of the old ‘steamers', my favourite was the Sovereign in 1960.

Moving on and clicking “Read More” in line with the left ear of the Skipper ( BTW quite acceptable to call a BP Master a Skipper, but I was chastised elsewhere in SN calling a Master of Cunard Liner a ‘Skipper”, so I’m wary) and I came across, ‘Who we are’. Now the first line is ‘Our History’. I’m sad now when using left/right arrows on the launching picture not to find the picture of the ‘British Crown’, it has been removed.

I have very special personal feelings about her, she should be returned!

Now Clicking on ‘Leadership team’ and find we (the seagoing personnel) are represented by an ex 1971 Navigating Cadet as CEO and even an ex Dual Navigating/Engineering Cadet circa 1990, as Director- Singapore, well done! (Dual Cadetship is totally foreign to me I had enough work learning one profession)

So then I moved on to ‘Our Fleet’ which I think is my real area of interest, so many different classes and nice to see some of the old names appearing again, Courage, Councillor, Pride, Purpose etc, etc. They will never bring back my first ship the “EMPRESS’, who has Empresses these days!

Then I came onto for me the highlight of this posting....... the ‘Gem’ class ships, Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire and Diamond.

I live on Vancouver Island in an area known as the ‘Gem streets’; Emerald, Ruby, (No Sapphire, too hard to spell), Diamond, Crystal and Opal, I live on Ruby.

My goodness what an ugly looking stern shown on the photograph of the British Ruby, much better sterns on my Ruby.

I should have guessed I was destined for a long association with BP, they named a ship after my street, well sort of.

Lots more interesting ‘stuff’ in their website, if you look.

Graham
Yes Graham it is a good site,great to see all the shipping photos. . I am sure I sailed with the nav cadet that made CEO . The thing I most liked about being a Lecky was the fact that I could work in every part of the ship ,galley and fridges were best after stores came on board ,fresh milk yum yum.. Even inside the engines at times when on motor ships. Best looking ship on the electrical side was the tree boat Hazel I was lucky to be on . I even joined it at Teesport not 2 mile from my then home in Billingham. Unfortunately it only lasted 2 weeks as I suffered from a horrendous case of piles and had to pay off to have the operation. I have never regretted nothing in my life apart from leaving BP too early.
Old 13th February 2015, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by retfordmackem View Post
Yes Graham it is a good site,great to see all the shipping photos. . I am sure I sailed with the nav cadet that made CEO . The thing I most liked about being a Lecky was the fact that I could work in every part of the ship ,galley and fridges were best after stores came on board ,fresh milk yum yum.. Even inside the engines at times when on motor ships. Best looking ship on the electrical side was the tree boat Hazel I was lucky to be on . I even joined it at Teesport not 2 mile from my then home in Billingham. Unfortunately it only lasted 2 weeks as I suffered from a horrendous case of piles and had to pay off to have the operation. I have never regretted nothing in my life apart from leaving BP too early.
Alan, Not as far as I can see.

Graham
Old 14th February 2015, 08:41
Department: Navigation
Active: 1969 - Present

Quote:
I never noticed that, I think my attention was on the guy on the left who has something in his his left hand , I wonder what?
Graham
I think that the guy on the left has a good old square medicine bottle in his hand? Very handy for going ashore in places like Lulea in Northern Sweden , so that you could just order a glass of Coke in a Night Club and add some "medicine" to it under the table. <smile>

Regards, Mike
Old 14th February 2015, 11:30

Quote:
Alan, Not as far as I can see.

Graham
Could have sworn he was on Ambassador .Unfortunately I have lost all my shipping lists you sent me when my computer got a virus and I had to restart it.
Cheers Graham
Old 17th February 2015, 02:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefCharles View Post
Graham,
Also one of the 1964 Ensign, Engine Control Room. I was Chief on the Ensign twice (73/74)
Roger
Roger,

An old friend of mine was on the Ensign April 1964 before and during her Maiden Voyage, stayed on for one trip.

The photo of the 4 Engineers in the control room was 'staged' by photographers aboard during the maiden voyage (or trials). Second from the left is the Second Engineer , the remaining 3 are Engineering Apprentices. I like the one working the 'Movement Book'.

Evidently the Officers were presented with a copy of the maiden voyage and Photographer's work. If he can locate it he will send it to me.

Ensign Crew List Maiden Voyage, April 1964
Built H&W Birkenhead.

Master, A Henny
CO, MS McClymont
XCO, EK Williams (1948 NA)
2M, JLW Dwight (1951 NA, Master Resolution 1985)
3M, KGE Lawrence (1957 NA, Master Energy 1990)
RO’s, JA Burke, BJ Ford
NA’s, JR Soutar (Gannet CO 1975), DG Toms, DI Barker, (died 2006, BP CO) KR Hutchins.

CE, CL Rawling
2E, D Evans
3E DF McBride (55EA)
4E, M Barker (56EA)
X4E, EA Gee (57EA)
JE’s, RF Thomas (1958 EA), AL Martin, WEJ Wood(1958 EA)
Elec, B Affleck
EA’s, WA Pearson, RRH Jackson (died 2014, 1960 EA , BP CE), FE Bock(1961 EA , BP CE), JW Stevens (1961 EA ,BP CE)

CH/Stew, PT Cuthbert
2/Stew, E Lyons
CH/Cook, GE Thompson
2/Cook, W Falconer
Carpenter, LS Watson
Bosun, DG Thorne
ERS, JW Kevern, J Muryn
Donkeyman, JH Thompson, F Dreves
Old 17th February 2015, 09:26

Noticed the Leckie was Bruce Affleck who went on to become Electrical Superintendent and in later years was to "'save" the Electrical Officers rank from disappearing. Senior management felt we could operate as Shell did with the 3/E doing all the electrical work.
Bruce however had a friend at Shell and was able to prove that our electrical costs were significantly lower than their's and the rank was saved.
Had the honour of visiting Bruce in his home at Shrewton on Salisbury plain, just after his retirement in approx 1981 and presented him with a gift from all the Leckies on the Iolair.
Had a lovely day and was warmly welcomed by him and his wife.
A true gent in every sense of the word.
Never heard anything about him after that but would imagine he is no longer with us.
Also sailed with Ron Jackson C/E a couple of times, from Hull /Lincolnshire or thereabouts.
Also sailed with Frank Bock, surprised to see a similar age to Ron, considering his name being put forward on here as a possible youngest Chief.
Old 17th February 2015, 11:37
Active: 1968 - 1986

If I recall correctly, we were all (Leckies) sent a letter telling us that this was more to do with an excess of 3/E's and a shortage of Leckies, and "should not be seen as a threat to our position".

Prospective 3/E's were also sent on a short training course to prepare them for their extra responsibility.

In my time I think I only met Bruce once, though spent a couple of weeks in Brunei with his sidekick Keith Blackman.

Last edited by twogrumpy; 17th February 2015 at 11:40..
Old 17th February 2015, 13:54
Active: 1968 - 2009

Looking at the photo of the control room British Ensign, The guy with the glasses could possibly be M Barker 4/E ? I sailed with Malcom much later on when he was 3/E, working for for Northern marine management on the ULCC's Stena King\Queen. He had returned to sea in his late fifty's after selling up his bed and breakfast business in the IOM. He later retired from NMM and the last I heard of him, he had bought a small bar somewhere in Spain
Old 17th February 2015, 17:13

My location
In reply to Chief Charles, (I was 2nd engineer on the Ensign at the same time as him) and cannot remember much of the details of the control room, however, at this time we were manoeuvring the engines by the use of the emergency hand wheels which were inset in the control room desk front, at knee height, hidden from view by the gentlemen here. The pneumatic actuators for the ahead and astern main steam valves were made by 'Rotork', and they never worked when I was there.

You have listed a RRH Jackson as an engineer apprentice on the Ensign when she sailed from Birkenhead?. Was that not a BRH Jackson, or Barrington H Jackson, known as Barry from Whitley Bay and Northumberland? I have a story to tell there.

And was the guy at the 'working' throttle not the Malcolm Barker of which you speak. If so he was a 4th engineer on the Dragoon on my first trip in 1966. It certainly looks like him.

I can agree totally with what others have said about Bruce Affleck and 3rd engineers and electricians. I was interviewing electricians for jobs in Britannic House at the time (I was on secondment) and I would do the personnel part of the interview, and the advertising and getting them to London, and Bruce would do the electrical technical bits, for instance 'can you describe the required circuits of a starter' and other 'electrical techie bits'. If Bruce accepted their level of electrical knowledge, and I had also accepted them, then I would offer them a job dependent upon them passing a medical. He felt that he had no choice but to get 3rd engineers to supplement the ranks of electricians at a time that I was hard pushed to get enough suitably trained and experienced recruits. I was at the same time trying to find jobs for surplus 3rd engineers through other shipping companies. It was also felt to be good for the further training of an all round engineer, better able to work with electricians, when they would be seconds and then chiefs themselves.

As an aside here, I was also responsible for interviewing radio cadets at the time, and questions were being asked in 'management' as, at one time, that I had accepted 3 females and only one male, for employment! This was 1979/1980

And last, I will be going to the evening do for the 100th, along with Roger Fletcher, in March. That's all I know at the moment. Some of you will know Don Shearwood, who will be going to the afternoon do. I am in Facebook contact with him.

Keith
Old 17th February 2015, 18:30

Keith,

My typing error , it was BRH Jackson

So both you and Roger are going to the 100th, A few years since I have been in touch with him. He moved back to your neck of the woods? leaving the warmer climes!

In the middle of typing this reply I went back to my home email box to see when last in touch with Roger and there was an email from you, Yup you are quite right. I have done a lot of work on that house and front/rear gardens. Moved the driveway and built the pergolas, bloody palm fronds are driving me crazy!

the ex suggests I should move to Victoria so I can walk the grandchildren back and forth to school.....not likely, got more golfing left first.

Graham
Old 17th February 2015, 22:03

My location
Graham,

Roger still lives in Cornwall, email keeps us in touch.

As for your home, I won't say that working for the MoD helped in my investigative abilities, let's just say, Mr. Google helped.
Old 18th February 2015, 17:12

Keith,
Nice to know some parts of my memory bank are working, do you recall when this leckie/3E thing was going on?

In 68 I did not even have an interview, the first time I saw anyone from BP was when I called into HQ to pick up my flight tickets for Abadan, being ex Naval Dockyard I was welcomed with open arms, little did they know!!
Of course the mines were another good source of willing volunteers.

Last edited by twogrumpy; 18th February 2015 at 18:40..
Old 18th February 2015, 17:56
Active: 1974 - 1989

The time of this would be 1980. I had to go on a conversion course at South Shields in June 1980 then did a trip on the Fern followed by the Laurel and Willow to practice my new found skills!!!!!!
Trial and error more like.
Old 18th February 2015, 18:05
Active: 1968 - 2009

About 3 years after leaving BP I ended up with Shell and found out as 3/E, I was also the Lecky, with no additional training at all !
Old 18th February 2015, 20:51

I joined in 1970 and had a days interview in Britannic house that consisted of a technical interview and several "intelligence tests" ie. make these shapes into a circle, what way would the final drive turn when shown anumber of gear wheels etc etc. Also a maths test etc.
Left the Iolair in 82 for the Forties platforms and for none of that time can I remember any ships not having a Leckie who was not time served, never seemed to be a shortage at that time.
I fully appreciate that some of the engineers did some electrical training and I was even involved on one ship after being asked by the C/E to give some training to engineers/cadets on the workings of Alternators, starters etc.
However the Bruce Affleck "saving the Leckies" thing had happened around the mid 70's when someone in upper management thought it might be a great money saving idea to get rid of Leckies end of story. I was told this story around that time and when I met Bruce at his home he gave me full text and verse on what had happened! All of us Leckies in that period owe Bruce great thanks for this in my opinion.

Last edited by DAVELECKIE; 18th February 2015 at 20:55..
Old 19th February 2015, 15:36

I should have seen the writing on the wall when they sent me up to Southampton for a medical saying "make sure you have your vaccinations while you are there".
Old 19th February 2015, 23:34
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993

Quote 'joined in 1970 and had a days interview in Britannic house that consisted of a technical interview and several "intelligence tests" ie. make these shapes into a circle, what way would the final drive turn when shown anumber of gear wheels etc etc. Also a maths test etc.'

Yo Daveleckie. Things didn't change much right up till 1980 anyway. I think I got the same 'intelligence tests' mind you I twas only a lowly catering boy. I remember the interviews (various), tests, (again various) and then the medical taking all day. That was s after a night in the seamans mish on Cannon st I think.
Old 20th February 2015, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
Quote 'joined in 1970 and had a days interview in Britannic house that consisted of a technical interview and several "intelligence tests" ie. make these shapes into a circle, what way would the final drive turn when shown anumber of gear wheels etc etc. Also a maths test etc.'

Yo Daveleckie. Things didn't change much right up till 1980 anyway. I think I got the same 'intelligence tests' mind you I twas only a lowly catering boy. I remember the interviews (various), tests, (again various) and then the medical taking all day. That was s after a night in the seamans mish on Cannon st I think.
Forgotton about being put up in the seamans mission, far to long ago for me to remember where that was.
The standard of hotels certainly improved after becoming a company employee!
Old 20th February 2015, 10:35

My location
Further to the comments earlier regarding the threatened demise of the Electricians in the 80's wind on twenty years the same was happening regarding ETO's, due to severe shortage of ETO's 3/Engs were being trained to carry out the ETO's function, ships that were sailing without an ETO for maybe three trips then an ETO would join and pick the pieces up (don't know who in the office dreamt that one up) however this scheme did'nt last long, and a recruitment drive for ETO's put in place, the only "suitable" applicants were from Poland, hence today probably 90% of ETO's (by the way now called ESE's) are Polish. However new STCW rules coming into force 2017 all ETO/ESE must have a recognised STCW certificate, so all ETO's sailing will have to resit exams and attend colleges to get said certificate, so watch this space.
Old 20th February 2015, 16:24

What does ESE stand for? same goes for STCW.

Is it safe to say that the reason for the shortage of ETO's at sea is that their skills are well saleable ashore with good T&C's, so why bother going away to sea.