Petr J Gildea-Evans - Ships Nostalgia
13:03

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Petr J Gildea-Evans

User Tag List

Old 9th April 2015, 05:38
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Petr J Gildea-Evans

Peter J Gildea-Evans, BP Second Mate circa 1969 onwards.

It has come to my attention through an ex BP contact that Peter Gildea-Evans died in South Norwood London on 24 March 2015 age 84.

I have never been in touch with him but have seen some threads in BPS section of Ships nostalgia commenting about him. He was not an ex BP Navigating Apprentice but joined probably in the late 1960’s as a Third Mate progressing to Second Mate and I believe remained at that rank with BP to be one of those known as ‘Professional Second’ Mates

I knew nothing of his previous seagoing life until recently. A staff member of Cadet Ship Worcester and an RNVR National Service Officer, eventually joining the Merchant Navy with P&O as a quartermaster, a very special one. He passed his Second Mates Certificate and moved on to BP as Third Mate.

These are a few of the ships he sailed on; Fame as 3M August 1969, Trader 2M May/June 1971, Skill 2M Jan 72, Officer 2M July 1972. Laurel x2M Nov 1972, Hazel 2M June 1973, Poplar x2M June 1974, Promise 2M March 1975.

I do not know how long he sailed with BP or when he left.

Graham
Old 9th April 2015, 08:49
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
I sailed with Peter on the Laurel .. he was a true officer and a gentleman, meticulous in all he did and knew the 'background' details to so many different things, nautical or otherwise.

He was indeed mentioned by me (and others) in a thread about 'professional Second Mates' and he was a true one.

I remember him well ... RIP
Old 9th April 2015, 09:24

Thank you Graham and Derek for those memories. I remember him in my Worcester days in 1961, he eventually got me through my 2nd O level-Geography, 2nd attempt too. I probably was not a good student as far as the scholastic subjects were concerned. I was more interested in sailing the dinghies and the nautical subjects.
John Taylor
Old 9th April 2015, 15:30
Active: 1968 - 1986

You beat me to it Graham, the notice was in the obit. column of the Torygraph today.
Old 9th April 2015, 19:01
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1983

My location
Sorry to hear of his passing. Sailed with Peter on the Commerce in 1978.
As I think was mentioned in the professional second mate thread it was his encyclopaedic knowledge of ships and shipping that made him such a memorable character.
Old 9th April 2015, 19:05

Sailed with Peter on the Hazel in 73, a true gent.
RIP.
Old 9th April 2015, 19:35
Active: 1972 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
Peter J Gildea-Evans, BP Second Mate circa 1969 onwards.

It has come to my attention through an ex BP contact that Peter Gildea-Evans died in South Norwood London on 24 March 2015 age 84.

I have never been in touch with him but have seen some threads in BPS section of Ships nostalgia commenting about him. He was not an ex BP Navigating Apprentice but joined probably in the late 1960’s as a Third Mate progressing to Second Mate and I believe remained at that rank with BP to be one of those known as ‘Professional Second’ Mates

I knew nothing of his previous seagoing life until recently. A staff member of Cadet Ship Worcester and an RNVR National Service Officer, eventually joining the Merchant Navy with P&O as a quartermaster, a very special one. He passed his Second Mates Certificate and moved on to BP as Third Mate.

These are a few of the ships he sailed on; Fame as 3M August 1969, Trader 2M May/June 1971, Skill 2M Jan 72, Officer 2M July 1972. Laurel x2M Nov 1972, Hazel 2M June 1973, Poplar x2M June 1974, Promise 2M March 1975.

I do not know how long he sailed with BP or when he left.

Graham
I am pretty sure he was 2/O on the Progress when I was 3/O in Jan-April 1977. It was my understanding at the time that he had come up the hard way having gone to sea as a deck hand and worked his way up. To be honest I didnt like him much but had to admire anyone who had become an officer in that way - very difficult to do.

Nina
Old 10th April 2015, 15:30

My location
Sorry to hear of Peters passing. Sailed with him on the Ranger back end of 77. As has been said, a gentleman,artist, ship lover and professional 2nd mate. Not sure when he left BP but guess was in the early round of redundancies when the "professional" 2nd mates and 3rd Engs were dismissed. My recollection of Peter, during a fire drill, in his exuberance and lead by example, charging across the handling space with both ends of the fire hose under his arm. RIP
Old 10th April 2015, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninabaker View Post
I am pretty sure he was 2/O on the Progress when I was 3/O in Jan-April 1977. It was my understanding at the time that he had come up the hard way having gone to sea as a deck hand and worked his way up. To be honest I didnt like him much but had to admire anyone who had become an officer in that way - very difficult to do.

Nina
Nina, you are correct, Master J Beattie, CO J Luff. Chris Dalquen was 3E
Graham
Old 11th April 2015, 04:08

It was my understanding that he came to the Worcester as a lecturer with a degree from Dublin University, he was Sub Lt RNR at that time too. Then he pursued his proper sea going career.

John
Old 11th April 2015, 09:02
Active: 1963 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi t View Post
It was my understanding that he came to the Worcester as a lecturer with a degree from Dublin University, he was Sub Lt RNR at that time too. Then he pursued his proper sea going career.

John
He served his 'apprenticeship' as a QM with P&O passenger division. I wonder if he got remission of sea time for his RNR service ?
With RNR trading and a degree I don't suppose 2nd Mates was too much of a hurdle.
Old 11th April 2015, 10:01

I think it was on the Commerce when I sailed with Peter, He had some quirks but at the same time was a real gent. Before we arrived in port he would have a large notice on the board with, the name of the jetty we were on, how to get ashore, taxi numbers, bus and train routes, places on interest local phrases even local bars. He said when he retired he was going to do a painting of the forth rail bridge, with the British mallard sailing under, the steam engine Mallard crossing and a flock of Mallards flying over, I wonder if he ever did, worth looking out for.
Alan Bristow
Old 11th April 2015, 18:57
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1986

A real Gent when I sailed with him.
Old 8th August 2015, 23:05

I sailed with Peter on my first ship, the Commodore, in1968, he was sailing as 4th mate. A very clever and helpful person who helped me a lot during my first trip.
Old 11th August 2015, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVELECKIE View Post
Sailed with Peter on the Hazel in 73, a true gent.
RIP.
Not sure if I met him. I joined the Hazel in Teesport,2 miles from where I lived in Billingham. Unfortunately the trip only lasted as I came down with Haemmarhoids and had to sign off after only 2 weeks to have the dreaded operation. The pain is reported (and true ,especially first motion)to be second only to childbirth I have heard it said.
Is it possible I relieved you .7/9/73 //
Old 12th August 2015, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by retfordmackem View Post
Not sure if I met him. I joined the Hazel in Teesport,2 miles from where I lived in Billingham. Unfortunately the trip only lasted as I came down with Haemmarhoids and had to sign off after only 2 weeks to have the dreaded operation. The pain is reported (and true ,especially first motion)to be second only to childbirth I have heard it said.
Is it possible I relieved you .7/9/73 //

I joined at Swansea 21/9/73 qnd left IOG 14/2/74.
Seems like it could have been the other way round. Was the Chief Sid Fewless or possibly a big tall chap Fred ?
Old 12th August 2015, 21:44

Quote:
Seems like it could have been the other way round. Was the Chief Sid Fewless or possibly a big tall chap Fred ?
Dave,
As far as I can make out you relieved Alan on the Hazel, Ross Jeal (I know him,ex 1960 EA ) was CE on her at the time and relieved by FJA Parsons ( Fred?). I think Ross came from Eel Pie Isand near Twickenham, great area for the 'new' R&R parties? David Bowie was 'found' on Twickenham station.

Alan ,
In your time Ross was CE,Fred Braithwaite 2E (ex1964 EA) and David Macdonald 3E(ex 1965 EA), been in touch with all of them. David was working in Vancouver but feeling he might have retired by now, actually pretty sure he has.

Graham
Old 13th August 2015, 09:19

Thanks for that Graham.
Can remember Ross, may have sailed with him a couple of times. Had his wife with him from memory and starting to think I
later bumped into him in Aberdeen while I was working offshore, he may well have become an OME or OIM by that time.

Fred was indeed the Chief you mention, great old school Chief.
As the years have past who relieved or vice versa has long disappeared from the memory banks. Probably because a hour or so in lots of cases handover, was not the same as sailing with someone for a few months.

Last edited by DAVELECKIE; 13th August 2015 at 09:22..
Old 13th August 2015, 12:45
Active: 1968 - 1986

"As the years have past who relieved or vice versa has long disappeared from the memory banks."

You got it right there Dave, recently took me three days to remember who the 2/E was on the Guardsman in 69, however I recognised the 4/E from the same trip at the 75th. bash at Greenwich.
Funny old world.

Last edited by twogrumpy; 13th August 2015 at 16:52..
Old 14th August 2015, 02:12

Quote:
Thanks for that Graham.
Can remember Ross, may have sailed with him a couple of times. Had his wife with him from memory and starting to think I
later bumped into him in Aberdeen while I was working offshore, he may well have become an OME or OIM by that time.

Fred was indeed the Chief you mention, great old school Chief.
As the years have past who relieved or vice versa has long disappeared from the memory banks. Probably because a hour or so in lots of cases handover, was not the same as sailing with someone for a few months.
Dave,
You are quite correct, I have a picture of him meeting Maggie T , but you only whisper that name on SN, gets some of the locals agitated.
Graham
Old 14th August 2015, 13:57

Quote:
Correct Dave ,I was not on long enough to remember anyones names although Graham has posted them on here . All I remember is the tidy and clean switchgear room, and the fact that it was bound for West African coast .
Old 14th August 2015, 14:05

Quote:
Correct Dave just checked my discharge book .I left in Swansea 21/9/73. Cannot remember anyone on board at all . All I remember is the switchgear room being clean and tidy and loved working on it.
And the fact we were supposed to be going down to ports on the West African coast.
Old 28th August 2016, 01:58
Active: 1974 - 1984

Only opened this thread tonight and may Peter RIP. Sailed with Peter on the Ranger also late 1977 on my first trip as Engineering Cadet. A wonderful gentleman and I still have one of the Christmas menus that he painted and was auctioned for the RNLI.
Old 28th August 2016, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciarán Callan View Post
Only opened this thread tonight and may Peter RIP. Sailed with Peter on the Ranger also late 1977 on my first trip as Engineering Cadet. A wonderful gentleman and I still have one of the Christmas menus that he painted and was auctioned for the RNLI.
It is nice to see another ex BP Engineering Cadet has surfaced , I will sennd you an email, I have crew lists for all BP ships you sailed on.

There is a Shipsnostalgia member who should remember you.

Graham
Old 29th August 2016, 17:50
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
I certainly remember Cerain, sailed with him my first trip on "British Respect", at least two other members were on board, John Bryson and Pete Hubbold.