AEI Radio Officers - Ships Nostalgia
15:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

AEI Radio Officers

User Tag List

Old 29th February 2016, 13:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
AEI Radio Officers

From the mid 1950s onwards,a plain paper supplement accompanied each issue of Marconi Marine's glossy house magazine, the 'Mariner', listing the names of radio officers employed by the company and the ships to which they had been appointed. Inserted at the beginning of the supplement for Issue 109 of the magazine (September-October, 1965) was a listing of the names of all 223 radio officers that had transferred to MIMCo following the purchase of AEI's marine radio business.

I am in the process of copying a number of the supplements, kindly loaned to me by Tony Selman, and have attached the first two pages of the supplement, showing that list, which may be of interest to some of the not-so-young SN radio officer members.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 109 01.jpg (150.7 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg 109 02.jpg (155.6 KB, 142 views)

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 29th February 2016, 20:53
Active: 1963 - 1995

Thanks for that Ron. I see my name there.

I was on the S.A.Langkloof/ZSHI at the time. The Mimco Southampton depot refused me a sub because I hadn't been in a full month !

Did we still have to fill in our own pay books as with AEI ?

David
+
Old 29th February 2016, 22:43

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.hopcroft View Post
Did we still have to fill in our own pay books as with AEI? David
Dunno about the AEI guys but we MIMCo men did not do anything with our pay books, other than present them to the depot cashier. Don't think they trusted us to handle money. Mine was little used since apart from the 4, 8, or 12 that I was permitted to draw on board ship each month, I had my salary paid directly into my bank account every month and didn't draw out cash against my salary using the pay book.

I was not willing to let the company have the benefit of my money until I got back and signed off, before claiming it from the nearest depot. But many people did not bother and, apart from any cash advances they drew when in port, did not draw their salary until the end of the trip. Imagine how much the R/Os in the Bank Line fleet must have been owed cumulatively at any one time, let alone the rest of the R/Os on other ships.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 2nd March 2016, 20:29

I seem to remember that the Mimco depot in Southampton was not far from the main dock gate - the fruit berth was across the dock from the Ocean Terminal in those days. It was therefore nearer and would have been a lot quicker than walking up town to find a Martins Bank branch. Contactless payment was a long way off in 1965 !

I found my old bank on google maps. It is now a wine bar on Rice Lane Liverpool.

David
+

I hope you can open this pdf. It was the only way I could think of getting it off google maps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf martins bank.pdf (80.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 4th March 2016, 20:23

Ron

I understand that our AEI personnel manager - Mr Weatherhead - transferred to Chelmsford at takeover. Do you know what became of him ? He was remembered as a thorough gentleman by AEI RO's.

David
+
Old 4th March 2016, 21:02

My location
David,

Les Weatherhead was indeed a lovely man and he moved to run the R/O side of the Personnel Department at Chelmsford. He was much liked by all he worked with there and by the radio officers - AEI and MIMCo alike - who found him to be a great improvement on the usual MIMCo type of personnel people. R'Os suddenly found themselves treated as significant human beings, rather than numbers to be moved around as mere fodder to feed ship vacancies. In what few dealings I had with him I found him to be very approachable and practical. He was there for several years starting in the mid-late 1960s and, I believe, retired from there in the 1970s but I couldn't give you a date.

I left the sea-staff in 1966 and had relatively little to do with that side of the business until the mid-1990s, when what was left of it was moved into Operations department under me. Les had long gone by then and all the people that worked in personnel department with him at Chelmsford have now crossed the bar.

Old 5th March 2016, 13:10

I did have one experience of the 'numbers' approach. As I lived near Liverpool, I went in to the depot there near the end of my leave, to 'see what went on'. I was directed to wait my turn in the waiting room where two others were sat. A ships call sign suddenly came out of a speaker I hadn't seen, but nobody moved. When an irate clerk came stomping up 'Didn't you hear your call sign ?' one said 'Yes, but I paid off this morning, not my ship now'

David
Old 5th March 2016, 16:51
Active: 1962 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
From the mid 1950s onwards,a plain paper supplement accompanied each issue of Marconi Marine's glossy house magazine, the 'Mariner', listing the names of radio officers employed by the company and the ships to which they had been appointed. Inserted at the beginning of the supplement for Issue 109 of the magazine (September-October, 1965) was a listing of the names of all 223 radio officers that had transferred to MIMCo following the purchase of AEI's marine radio business.

I am in the process of copying a number of the supplements, kindly loaned to me by Tony Selman, and have attached the first two pages of the supplement, showing that list, which may be of interest to some of the not-so-young SN radio officer members.
I left AEI six months before the sell out. I see the name K.Oliphant who if I recollect was at Hull Tech about the same time as myself and who I bumped into when he joined GKZ, as I was installing kit there in '67.
Old 5th March 2016, 16:55
Active: 1962 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
David,

Les Weatherhead was indeed a lovely man and he moved to run the R/O side of the Personnel Department at Chelmsford. He was much liked by all he worked with there and by the radio officers - AEI and MIMCo alike - who found him to be a great improvement on the usual MIMCo type of personnel people. R'Os suddenly found themselves treated as significant human beings, rather than numbers to be moved around as mere fodder to feed ship vacancies. In what few dealings I had with him I found him to be very approachable and practical. He was there for several years starting in the mid-late 1960s and, I believe, retired from there in the 1970s but I couldn't give you a date.

I left the sea-staff in 1966 and had relatively little to do with that side of the business until the mid-1990s, when what was left of it was moved into Operations department under me. Les had long gone by then and all the people that worked in personnel department with him at Chelmsford have now crossed the bar.
I met 'Weather' when docked in London's KGV and crossed the river to visit the office. His no.2 I believe was Terry Gamble(?) who I met again at Redifon in '66.
Old 6th March 2016, 14:01
Active: 1964 - 1987

I did have one experience of the 'numbers' approach. As I lived near Liverpool, I went in to the depot there near the end of my leave, to 'see what went on'. I was directed to wait my turn in the waiting room where two others were sat. A ships call sign suddenly came out of a speaker I hadn't seen, but nobody moved. When an irate clerk came stomping up 'Didn't you hear your call sign ?' one said 'Yes, but I paid off this morning, not my ship now'

Remember it well !!!!

Bob Porter, can I have my expenses now please. I did recognise my c/s
whilst in the waiting room.
Old 10th March 2016, 07:09
Active: 1945 - 1990

It was indeed a pleasure to meet and work with Mr Weatherhead - I joined Siemens in early 1945, directly from the L.T.T.C Penywern Road Earls Court (Subject matter also mentioned in a another forum) which used Siemens equipment. (The LTTC was advertised on the back cover of the Radio Operator's Handbook issued by the PMG dept of that era.

Mr Weatherhead spent sometime with a new R/o employee, wanting to know what his needs were in regards to deep sea, coasting, long voyages etc etc, and 90 % of the time was able to comply with their seafaring needs, - it seemed there was a niche that suited all - Mr Wxhead put that extra effort into pleasing every one!

On his passing c2003(?) he was described as "The Radio Officer's Radio Officer"

I served with Siemens between 1945 - 1953, a wonderful experience made all the better by Mr Weatherhead (we were more formal in those days!) From a battered memory his boss was R.J.Bird, a 'doff your hat' type of boss . . .
Old 10th March 2016, 11:22

I knew 8 of them on the lists. I was with AEI from early 1961 until Marconi took over whilst I was on leave, so moved to B & C, as Marconi were not agreeable to me rejoining a ship that I had been on for about two years. Yes, Mr. Weatherhead was great. In 1963, I asked the Liverpool office if I could be appointed to the Sagamore, that I knew to be coming out of layup in the Gareloch. They said no! Anyway, Mr. Weatherhead found out about my request, and I was appointed to Sagamore a few days later. After 3 or 4 months, when I felt like leave, I would send him an AEI SVC message from Bascay, and my relief was always there when we docked! Then I would return to the same ship. I know some of my colleagues felt it was a bit of a cheek to ask for what I wanted, but I continued to do this throughout 31 years, first with AEI, then with B & C, then Silver Line, and finally Curnow Shipping, and most of the time, it worked!
I probably would not have left AEI if Marconi had not taken over.
My AEI ships were Rhodesia Star, Joya McCance, Frederick T. Everard, Wandsworth and Sagamore.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 10th March 2016, 16:15
Active: 1971 - 1983

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ystradgynlais View Post
It was indeed a pleasure to meet and work with Mr Weatherhead - I joined Siemens in early 1945, directly from the L.T.T.C Penywern Road Earls Court (Subject matter also mentioned in a another forum) which used Siemens equipment. (The LTTC was advertised on the back cover of the Radio Operator's Handbook issued by the PMG dept of that era.

Mr Weatherhead spent sometime with a new R/o employee, wanting to know what his needs were in regards to deep sea, coasting, long voyages etc etc, and 90 % of the time was able to comply with their seafaring needs, - it seemed there was a niche that suited all - Mr Wxhead put that extra effort into pleasing every one!

On his passing c2003(?) he was described as "The Radio Officer's Radio Officer"

I served with Siemens between 1945 - 1953, a wonderful experience made all the better by Mr Weatherhead (we were more formal in those days!) From a battered memory his boss was R.J.Bird, a 'doff your hat' type of boss . . .
The (now) London Electronics College in Penywern Road was still advertising in the 1975 edition Radio Ops Handbook - then under Dave Evans (Jnr).

Old 11th March 2016, 15:54

My location
Regarding Tomy Scambler ex AEI R/O looks like he transferred to direct employ when BP started taking on their own R/O's. Have him on the British Sovereign in 1960, Power 61, Adventure 62, Break for doing 1st class, Confidence 65, Commerce 69, Ensign 70, Progress 73, Scientist 74, Ranger 77, Explorer 80, Resoution 81, no record beyond that date.
Old 12th March 2016, 04:27
Active: 1980 - 1991

Sounds like he liked BP..
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:10
Active: 1976 - Present

Fascinating stuff. Recognised many names from the list who went on to work at GKA - most of whom are still very much alive and well!

Larry +
Old 28th February 2017, 05:11

Tony Gray ex Aei radio officer

Hi Ron, tony Gray here in oz. think I was at Norwood tech with you 1963 1964 ? Then went to Aei then to Marconi thus on your excellent list Aei to Marconi. Then to p and o then to redifon marine as overseas service manager based at. Wandsworth and then oil rigs and oz. great forum of yours. Snowy Lindberg ring a bell he out here now. First ship to sea was white oiler Tudor prince as junior Ro to mike Howells from hull he on your Aei Marconi transfer list as well remember well gamble etc at Aei hope you well tony Anthony gray
Old 1st March 2017, 11:12
Active: 1951 - 1962

Mr. Weatherhead was calm and a very helpful gentleman - I arrived at his desk at lunchtime once but had to sit and wait until he had finished his sandwiches- ideal Manager. At Siemens/AEI left before transfer - I noted W.E. Holbrook and wonder if he's still around. Took over the 'Sovac' from him in Palermo - he was desolate due to the fact he had applied for a transfer after a heavy night out! The Agent finally had to give him money to get home since he kept missing flights. Known to the 'ladies' of Naples as Sir William - our home base- he had a habit of using a glove on his morse hand! I understood his anguish at leaving a Med runner, great ship until we went to Nagasaki to be scrapped.
Old 1st March 2017, 11:50

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commalog View Post
Hi Ron, tony Gray here in oz. think I was at Norwood tech with you 1963 1964 ?
Not this Ron, Tony.

I did my 2nd Class PMG in 1958/59 at Manchester's Brooks Bar radio school and my 1st Class and BoT Radar Maintenance at South Shields in 1964. So it was another Ron (or another Stringer - MIMCo had 2 or three others with that surname) that you knew at Norwood.

Glad to hear from someone who was around at the time. I'm doing fine thank you, even if the doctor's don't seem to share my opinion.

Old 7th March 2017, 23:34

remember the mimco Liverpool office well. I paid off an ed ship there and went in to drop off the accounts (ed direct employ) placed them on a desk in front of the receptionist who promptly gave them back to me "sit over there". I said I am on leave, she said so are they (about six). I returned them to her and walked out.
Old 8th March 2017, 02:38
Active: 1980 - 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7912bob View Post
remember the mimco Liverpool office well. I paid off an ed ship there and went in to drop off the accounts (ed direct employ) placed them on a desk in front of the receptionist who promptly gave them back to me "sit over there". I said I am on leave, she said so are they (about six). I returned them to her and walked out.
Hahah! Excellent. Typical.
Old 17th April 2017, 22:25
Active: 1960 - 1965

I would like to add my appreciation for Mr Weatherhead. He was a kind man that appreciated the work we did and when you went out of your way to help the company he always acknowledged it by letter.

I resigned from AEI when Marconi took over the Marine operation and came ashore which as it turned out did me a favour.