Poplar Technical College 1975-77/78 - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
00:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Poplar Technical College 1975-77/78

User Tag List

Old 19th February 2015, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by iang View Post
Before my memory fails me,here a few names I remember from 75 intake:
BP: Paul Munson,Graeme Whyte,Andy Cobban,Alan Steel,Andy Lines,Jimmy Macdonald,Robert Chislet.Neil Anderson.
RFA:Tim Grey,Nick Cochran,Stuart Hope,John Plant.
Houlders: Brian Hedges
??:Ashley Menzies,Bernard Gaulier,Phil Eient
Dick Whitington was the Welfare Officer at King Teds

iang
I think these were in a year below - I was 74 - 76 - Graham white did the Ten Tors training with us - sailed with Jim McDonald later on...
Old 11th March 2015, 09:29
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by iang View Post
Before my memory fails me,here a few names I remember from 75 intake:
BP: Paul Munson,Graeme Whyte,Andy Cobban,Alan Steel,Andy Lines,Jimmy Macdonald,Robert Chislet.Neil Anderson.
RFA:Tim Grey,Nick Cochran,Stuart Hope,John Plant.
Houlders: Brian Hedges
??:Ashley Menzies,Bernard Gaulier,Phil Eient
Dick Whitington was the Welfare Officer at King Teds

iang
It was Jack Whittington....
Old 26th May 2015, 20:51

Poplar College

The tug in St Kitts at one time was the Challenger.
I was at Poplar in 1975 up for part B chiefs when we were visited by some long haired erk from the students union who demanded that we all join the union. He was 5 minutes into his talk when this 6 foot South African stood up and said "why don't you F..k off Man" he didn't finish his demand!!
Old 11th December 2015, 17:38
Active: 1970 - 1976

RFA Cadets 1970 to 1974 Poplar Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBurn View Post
I did the same as you the year before, had a great time many fond memories, what was the name of that pub, I went back a few years after and Terry got me so pissed I had to sleep it off in the back of my car before I could get back to N London where I was visiting my brother!
Well just found this string of information, it brings back some memories, sadly after nearly 50 years, recall is not 100%, so who is out there some of us managed to keep in touch: Frank Bryden, Eric Hambling, Paul Cooper, Pete Best, John Kingston, Graham Jefferies, we just recontacted Alan Gosling and Jerry Whitiker.
So where are Andy Sheward, Steve Piper etc.
Would be great to hear (only if you shout loudly due to on coming deafness due to high speed turbines and no ear defenders)
Old 11th December 2015, 20:48
Active: 1970 - 1974

The other RFA cadets would be Derek Emm, Rick Hudson, Roger (Oswald) Moseley and Roger Stevens, I believe.
Old 12th December 2015, 11:15
Active: 1970 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonkingjohn View Post
The other RFA Engineer Cadets would be Derek Emm, Rick Hudson, Roger (Oswald) Moseley and Roger K Stevens, I believe.
Yepp, JK ?
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:02
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1970 - Present

Poplar Tech 1970-72 then phase 3 1974 with Furness Whithy/Shaw Savill.
Resided in King Teds before being evicted in phase 3 with Barry Winters for inciting a riot?

I can remember a lot of the events talked about here. Charles cleghorn Wilkie had a mini from memory, now who was in it when we were finally caught for speeding through the tunnel after leaving Raggy Mags?

Cadets from Houlder Brothers, PSNC, Shaw Savill, Furness Withy, RFA, Blue Star, BP Tankers and Black Stars Bill Mensa.
Old 25th December 2015, 14:41

Hi Ian
was at Poplar at the same time as you remember Chas Wilkie with his Matchless
Passed my phase 3 at Riversdale in Liverpool
was Bill Mensa their when you did Phase 3 I remember him during phase 1
He washed dishes in a well known restaurant to pay his studies!
a few names that come to mind you possibly remember John Jenkins, Duncan Tompkins,Dean,
Terry Burke
have a good Xmas
John Heaton (Houlders living in France)
Old 26th December 2015, 00:21
Active: 1970 - 1974

Hi Ian and John,
I was also at Poplar for Phase 1 1970-72 amongst the RFA contingent mentioned in the earlier post by Bob Cottam. I can't put a face to Ian but I can picture you John, not bad for 40+ years.

In addition to the names you've both mentioned, others that come to mind are Tim Gilchrist, John Abbott, John Pierce, Greg Holland and Rod Parker. Rod Parker was I believe last with P&O Cruises.

Seasons Greetings

John Kingston
Old 22nd January 2016, 14:30
Active: 1971 - Present

A few names I remember were Ian Whitfield, Joe Pattison, Jeff Harris, John Wojek, John Gordon-Harris, Nigel Mudd, Charles Batt, Billy Burgum, Stuart Rawlins?
I think we must have been the naughty boys as we seem to have had a lot more fun compared with the tales from other colleges.
Wish I could remember the pub in Upper North Street run by Terry and Maureen Morrison, I bet Nigel remembers as I seem to remember he was quite taken with their daughter Terresa ;-)
Graham
Old 24th January 2016, 17:50

Graham, rather late I am afraid thank you for the Obituary of Dave Morgan. I later meet up with Dave in Ports division at MCA's London HQ Sunley House, prior to the move of the whole division to Southampton, as the new HQ,with the Coastguards Division, of the MCA.
Your comments on Dave's time as a BP Cadet studying his HNC/HND? are interesting: I met up during my phase 2 with Alan Clark then doing his drydock time (Phase 3) at Palmers Hebburn. Alan also was a BP apprentice directly seconded/ or assigned the HNC/HND? course and studied at Gateshead TEch in 58-59? or maybe 60, and did his summer vocational training between year 1 and 2 at Clark Chapmans Gateshead, learning all their tricks of the trade (Winches/deck machinery and glass polishing for lenses for industrial uses-Lighthouses- the study of the heavens excetra!) Alan said at Palmers that once he had finished his time there (Phase 3- I think the HNC/HND? chappies did the apprenticeship in the traditional phase order, not the alternative phase order, such as a herb like I was?), he was going to work for Rolls Royce Derby, on the engineering division, whether aero or marine, or transport-rail, I do not know, I just knew him as a good colleague and a most pleasant of people.
Old 24th January 2016, 20:32
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by david freeman View Post
Graham, rather late I am afraid thank you for the Obituary of Dave Morgan. I later meet up with Dave in Ports division at MCA's London HQ Sunley House, prior to the move of the whole division to Southampton, as the new HQ,with the Coastguards Division, of the MCA.
Your comments on Dave's time as a BP Cadet studying his HNC/HND? are interesting: I met up during my phase 2 with Alan Clark then doing his drydock time (Phase 3) at Palmers Hebburn. Alan also was a BP apprentice directly seconded/ or assigned the HNC/HND? course and studied at Gateshead TEch in 58-59? or maybe 60, and did his summer vocational training between year 1 and 2 at Clark Chapmans Gateshead, learning all their tricks of the trade (Winches/deck machinery and glass polishing for lenses for industrial uses-Lighthouses- the study of the heavens excetra!) Alan said at Palmers that once he had finished his time there (Phase 3- I think the HNC/HND? chappies did the apprenticeship in the traditional phase order, not the alternative phase order, such as a herb like I was?), he was going to work for Rolls Royce Derby, on the engineering division, whether aero or marine, or transport-rail, I do not know, I just knew him as a good colleague and a most pleasant of people.
David,

I have never heard of BP EA Alan Clark from Gateshead Tech. As I have a complete listing of all BP EA's ( Not including BP Clyde EA's) 1952 to 1959 he was most probably a 1960 intake.

Thanks for the info I will add his name to the register of EA's including those details of his Apprenticeship.

Interesting he went to work at Rolls Royce in Derby, one of the 1955 EA's I sailed with on the Justice 1959/60 eventually worked there ,retired from them and lives in the area.

My cousin belongs to the Golf course that runs alongside the RR plant in Derby, he mentions that all new planes fitted with RR engines always fly slowly over the plant showing off their engines.

Being a 1955 intake I did the "Alternative scheme for Marine Engineers" ( which initially commenced 1952), but in my second year it was amended reversing phase 3 & 4 and 2 years later phase 3(a one year duration) reverted back to Shipyards from BP Refineries) and a little later modified again for 6 months in the Industry and 6 months SSMTC.

Of course now I believe the Cadetship is only 3 Years, a drastic reduction from our 54 months. I do not know what happened to the HND course, probably abandoned years ago. Too many new Universities?

Graham
Old 24th January 2016, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian A Rogers View Post
Resided in King Teds before being evicted in phase 3 with Barry Winters for inciting a riot?

I can remember a lot of the events talked about here. Charles cleghorn Wilkie had a mini from memory, now who was in it when we were finally caught for speeding through the tunnel after leaving Raggy Mags?

Cadets from Houlder Brothers, PSNC, Shaw Savill, Furness Withy, RFA, Blue Star, BP Tankers and Black Stars Bill Mensa.
Hi Ian
Were you not with PSNC?
a few names I remember
Terry Burke PSNC had a bright red Ford Anglia the paint came from Heathrow airport where his father worked for the red buses!!
Pete Harnby who I beleive is now in Austarlia
Paul Holmes (known as PeePod)Shaw Savill came from Gillingham drove an Austin Healy Sprite
Dean ------ Houlders was from Putney I think real nice calm chap
Antowczec Houlders took up Karate as sport and came back one day in a right state!
Duncan Tompkins Houlders lives in Ireland has his own firm
John Jenkins Houlders consultant for British Rail I think
Some chap from Houlders onthe OND course from Bilbao who played a harmonica in th e Loo
Moseley RFA
Kelly company ??
Martin Payne who I beleive lives in Austarlia (the bill were after him I beleive!)
Gary Holmes Blue Star line lived in London his parents had a carpet shop
Rick Hudson RFA??
Lammy Turnbull scott he went aground on his first trip!
Greg Holland a well biuilt chap who drove an Austin A35 never knew how he managed to get in andout of that small car
do you remember every thursday night it was the Beer Keller at Trafalgar square
I went to Liverpool for the phase 3 a lot calmer year than in London then took my tickets at Southampton college of higher education
I remember we were always in trouble waiting for the evening meal a King Teds!!
We also went on the roof of King Teds with a grease gun who must have been Chas,s and once the cars came out of the carwash behind King Teds we would squirt a lump of grease down from the roof onto the sparkling clean car !!
One evening we threw a beer can on a passer by who immediately got a brick from across the road and threw it thro the window!!
It was a bit rough round there
do you remember looking out to see if we could go for fish and chips without being attaqued by the skin,s
For me I,m retired in the center of France I did about 10 years including the cadetship with Houlders and left when life on the Gas tankers was getting a bit dangerous
well maybe some other names will come to mind later
Best Regards
John
Old 18th February 2016, 03:07
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - Present

I remember playing for the School of Navigation, Warsash against King Teds on Hackney Marshes during the winter term 1976. It was flipping freezing. We were 4-2 down at half time. We had some performance enhancing Whiskey at half time. I scored 4 in the second half and we won 6-4! The Teds lads were great, we had an almighty piss up in their local afterwards and the college bus driver had to threaten to leave us all if we didn't get aboard. Happy days!
Old 8th March 2016, 07:57

My location
Memories rekindled, I was at PT commencing September 13th 1970. New Zealand Shipping Company along with Paul Radcliffe, Steve Humphries, Simon Bradford?, Shamus Bampton, Pete Hensby and quite a few more. Good mates with Chas Wilkie (Blue Star) and John Kelly (Bowrings) - we had an old Commer van during Phase 3, a sort of passion wagon! Irwin Steven (Bowrings) now living in Florida, Alan Gosling (RFA) now in southern Spain with a B&B in the hills outside of Malaga. So many names, so many good times. I was ashore by the very early 80's - got me chief's, then technical management until retiring 3 years ago. It is great to read the above posts as most of the names come back although putting faces to them is another thing. Happy days!!
Old 8th March 2016, 08:30
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
When doing Pre-Sea at King Ted's in 58/59 we used to attend Poplar Tech on Monday afternoons for Marine Engineering. Looking back, I must say that the quality of instruction in that short time has been a godsend throughout my working life. Even the elementary drafting lessons helped when I first had to learn AutoCAD in the days before the mouse had been invented.
Old 9th March 2016, 15:40

Poplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxfordman View Post
Memories rekindled, I was at PT commencing September 13th 1970. New Zealand Shipping Company along with Paul Radcliffe, Steve Humphries, Simon Bradford?, Shamus Bampton, Pete Hensby and quite a few more. Good mates with Chas Wilkie (Blue Star) and John Kelly (Bowrings) - we had an old Commer van during Phase 3, a sort of passion wagon! Irwin Steven (Bowrings) now living in Florida, Alan Gosling (RFA) now in southern Spain with a B&B in the hills outside of Malaga. So many names, so many good times. I was ashore by the very early 80's - got me chief's, then technical management until retiring 3 years ago. It is great to read the above posts as most of the names come back although putting faces to them is another thing. Happy days!!
Remember pete Hensby had a Sumbean motobike
Old 10th March 2016, 08:32

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh Heaton View Post
Remember pete Hensby had a Sumbean motobike
He did, he also had a Honda 250 ish in Phase 1. We used to ride up to Peterborough on it to where he lived in St Ives for weekends. I think he is or was in Aus as well.

All of 1970 intake must be near to retirement now I would guess.

Fond memories of happy and not so happy days.
Old 5th May 2016, 20:08

Many of the old pubs are now long gone but can be found here.

http://www.derelictlondon.com/east-london.html

King Teds is now luxury flats as gentrifications kicks in.

Names of note from the last half of the 70's at Poplar?

Gordon Bennet, the maths bloke with the plastic pig and obsessed with horse racing form.
John Satchwell, a fragrant vision of loveliness but a mind as sharp as a razor and I still remember his lessons fondly. A brilliant teacher.
Wesley Smith, aka 'Jungle Jim'… 'break time Gentlemen, the clock is wrong, be back by the right time'. Who would have though technical drawing classes could be so much fun and have a timewarp clock?
Mr Coutinho, the little Portuguese engineering instructor, always a happy chap.
Mr Mitra - the Indian engineering instructor - always trying to get us to take him seriously.

Last edited by McAndyB; 5th May 2016 at 23:36..
Old 8th May 2016, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltic Star View Post
When doing Pre-Sea at King Ted's in 58/59 we used to attend Poplar Tech on Monday afternoons for Marine Engineering. Looking back, I must say that the quality of instruction in that short time has been a godsend throughout my working life. Even the elementary drafting lessons helped when I first had to learn AutoCAD in the days before the mouse had been invented.
Have to agree, had no idea that I would enjoy technical drawing, in fact I had never heard of it,being an ex grammar school boy who went to KE VII for the pre-sea year in 1953/4.Loved every minute of it!
Old 3rd December 2016, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAndyB View Post

Names of note from the last half of the 70's at Poplar?

Gordon Bennet, the maths bloke with the plastic pig and obsessed with horse racing form.
If -repeat if - I remember correctly, the said Mr Bennet did his time as draughtsman at Blackburn Aircraft and told us his claim to fame was that he designed the cockpit canopy for the Blackburn Buccaneer. My little grey cells are dropping like flies nowadays, but surely I couldn't have dreamed that up??
Old 3rd December 2016, 20:24

I just wonder how old our readers are? I worked with a colleague in the MCA in my latter days, who after an apprenticeship with Allisions the turbine manufactures on the lower Thames, went to sea with Orient Line and then became a lecturer at Poplar for Marine engineers, studying for the British Marine Industry certificates Part A and B all grades. The gent was there before 1972 before joining DOT as an engineer examineer, and surveyor ( Stan Nichols- his name)
Old 11th March 2017, 00:25
Active: 1970 - 1984

hi to Ian Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian A Rogers View Post

Hi Ian
Peter Trussler here. I was cadet with Mobil oil and remember you well . There was 6 of us from Mobil, nigel westwell, tom robinson,nick gladwell, Dennis ?,Vince ?.
Can you remember the lecturer who had the reliant 3 wheeler and we left it on the pavement on its roof. Also, somebody always ended up in the workshops with arms and legs of their boiler suits stuck in the vices. We were all at the Red Ensign Club in Dock Street - what a dump!I believe Graham Perkins is living in NZ.
hope you are well
peter
Old 11th March 2017, 17:20
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hooky View Post
Hi Ian
Peter Trussler here. I was cadet with Mobil oil and remember you well . There was 6 of us from Mobil, nigel westwell, tom robinson,nick gladwell, Dennis ?,Vince ?.
Can you remember the lecturer who had the reliant 3 wheeler and we left it on the pavement on its roof. Also, somebody always ended up in the workshops with arms and legs of their boiler suits stuck in the vices. We were all at the Red Ensign Club in Dock Street - what a dump!I believe Graham Perkins is living in NZ.
hope you are well
peter
Gordon Bennett - drawing and Maths had a Reliant in the early '80s

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 11th March 2017, 21:57

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hooky View Post
Hi Ian
hope you are well
peter
G'day Peter Trusler, Not in KIWI but living in Hobart, Tasmania. Been here for 18 years. Retired now for the last 4 years. Any idea what happened to Nigel and Tom? Great thread with many memories.