Captain Buchanan ? - Ships Nostalgia
01:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Captain Buchanan ?

User Tag List

Old 30th April 2017, 13:46
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993

Captain Buchanan ?

I was regalling a story to some mates yesterday about when I was on the Security. Old Man at the time was Captain Buchanan, I'm pretty sure he was from the Isles somewhere. Then I started thinking I had seen a thread on here somewhere possibly about him. Was I correct? Haven't got time to search them all?
Old 30th April 2017, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
I was regalling a story to some mates yesterday about when I was on the Security. Old Man at the time was Captain Buchanan, I'm pretty sure he was from the Isles somewhere. Then I started thinking I had seen a thread on here somewhere possibly about him. Was I correct? Haven't got time to search them all?
Malcolm Buchanan? Quietly spoken, a real gent with a great sense of humour. Sailed with him as a mate and old man, memory does not compute what ships [ity/river boats perhaps a vlcc Pioneer].
He was definitely from somewhere in the Western isles.
Old 1st May 2017, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVELECKIE View Post
Malcolm Buchanan? Quietly spoken, a real gent with a great sense of humour. Sailed with him as a mate and old man, memory does not compute what ships [ity/river boats perhaps a vlcc Pioneer].
He was definitely from somewhere in the Western isles.
Yes that's him Dave. It was my last trip with BP in the eighties. I paid off when they sold her.
Old 1st May 2017, 20:14

Searching the old memory banks I have a feeling I bumped into Malcolm either in Dyce offices or offshore in the Forties in the late eighties early nineties. He could well have been doing a marine superintendent roll at the time.
Others on here may well be able to provide a bit more info.
Old 1st May 2017, 23:04
King Ratt

My location
I was in British Forth May 1982 until Nov 82. The Master was Captain J Buchanan. I think he was from the Western Isles. A pleasant and a quiet man he was. Is this the same man Kevjacko is enquiring after?
Old 2nd May 2017, 07:15
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ratt View Post
I was in British Forth May 1982 until Nov 82. The Master was Captain J Buchanan. I think he was from the Western Isles. A pleasant and a quiet man he was. Is this the same man Kevjacko is enquiring after?
He was JA Buchanan!

The person mentioned in previously postings I presume was MJ Buchanan who was a 1961(?) BP Navigating Apprentice on the Officer in November 1961. However to completely screw it up the 2M on the Officer at the same time was an M Buchanan

I hope that helps

Graham
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:37

My location
Believe Malcolm and Jim were either brothers or cousins and hailed from Stornoway, Malcolm did indeed end up working out of Dyce, he did a short spell as Capt on the Iolair, was responsible for Marine matters. After leaving BP he worked at RGI Aberdeen teaching rig stability for a few years, but I guess he will be well retired by now.
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:41
King Ratt

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
He was JA Buchanan!

The person mentioned in previously postings I presume was MJ Buchanan who was a 1961(?) BP Navigating Apprentice on the Officer in November 1961. However to completely screw it up the 2M on the Officer at the same time was an M Buchanan

I hope that helps

Graham
Thank you, Graham. JA were his initials. A nice fellow who made me very welcome on his ship as an RFA sparks supposedly onboard to help out with MoD speak. The BP boys were a fine lot who also made me welcome along with a lot of piss taking regarding me wearing a cummerbund ! Good days.

Regards

KR
Old 2nd May 2017, 13:33

John Buchanan , I'm sure it was his brother that was also a master.

Good captain,He was from Uig on the west coast of Lewis but claimed not to be a wee free, but no one believed him
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 2nd May 2017, 20:29
Department: Navigation
Active: 1971 - 1988

Quote:
I was on the Forth as 2/O then. If I remember correctly there was an RFA C/O on board as well. Nautical Ned? Smashing fellow.

I left off Dover to go to college for my Masters. John Dixon relieved me.

Chris

R903573
Old 2nd May 2017, 21:04
King Ratt

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by brummiechris View Post
I was on the Forth as 2/O then. If I remember correctly there was an RFA C/O on board as well. Nautical Ned? Smashing fellow.

I left off Dover to go to college for my Masters. John Dixon relieved me.
Hello Brummiechris. You are correct. The RFA C/O was Ned Newton, Aka Knackered Ned. A fine fellow who very sadly crossed the bar about a month ago. Were you there when the lifeboat got stuck ashore in San Carlos Bay when the weather blew up? Seem to recall a helicopter bringing revellers back to Forth.

Regards from Rab Thomson
Old 3rd May 2017, 01:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic View Post
John Buchanan , I'm sure it was his brother that was also a master.

Good captain,He was from Uig on the west coast of Lewis but claimed not to be a wee free, but no one believed him
C'mon then Satanic, what's a Wee free?
Old 3rd May 2017, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
C'mon then Satanic, what's a Wee free?
A wee free is a member of the free Church of Scotland as opposed to the Church of Scotland which is the mainstream Protestant church north of the border
They are seen as strict and unbending in their outlook and are quite numerous in the Highlands and Islands.
Sunday as a day of rest seems to be very important to them and they tend to oppose things like ferry services on the sabbath and appear to be puritanical in the extreme when it comes to what are acceptable pastimes and entertainment.
The name wee free is a derogatory term.
One of the jokes about them is that they're against sex standing up, in case it leads to dancing.

Last edited by pitcrew; 3rd May 2017 at 11:34.. Reason: Grammar
Old 3rd May 2017, 14:43
Department: Navigation
Active: 1971 - 1988

Quote:
Hello Brummiechris. You are correct. The RFA C/O was Ned Newton, Aka Knackered Ned. A fine fellow who very sadly crossed the bar about a month ago. Were you there when the lifeboat got stuck ashore in San Carlos Bay when the weather blew up? Seem to recall a helicopter bringing revellers back to Forth.

Regards from Rab Thomson
Hi Rab,
I left as the Forth was on it's way down south. Previously been to Ascension, who can forget Wideawake, Wideawake! Missed the lifeboat incident though.

I certainly remember the cummerbunds, and the hilarity they provoked. In Ned's case we thought it must be a corset. Sorry to hear he's gone, a great character and shipmate. I seem to remember his wife visiting for a few days, Portsmouth or Portland, one or the other, they made a good couple. Ned used to refer to turning in as getting into the lee of bum island.

Chris

R903573
Old 18th July 2017, 08:18
Active: 1971 - Present

Malcolm Buchanan

Sorry for the late reply but I have not been on the site for a while.

The last time I saw Malcolm was in 1991 or 92 when I was a BP vetting inspector, he was a mooring Master at Sullom Voe along with another Master (from Hull) whose name escapes me at the moment.
Old 21st September 2018, 19:35
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - Present

Malcolm became an OIM in Forties, did a brief stint on the Iolair or Seillean (can't recall precisely now) and was one of the original OIM's on the Schiehallion.

After retiring he was part time lecturing doing the Semi-sub courses at Aberdeen College and also OIM assessments.

I liked him a lot, nice guy.

Regards

Richard