Benhope callsign - Ships Nostalgia
12:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Benhope callsign

User Tag List

Old 31st January 2018, 22:26
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1969 - 1982

Benhope callsign

Anyone got an idea of the callsign of "Benhope", the newer one, that is? I have an idea it was GXZH, but for some reason it's one of the ships I was on (twice) that I don't recall.
Old 31st January 2018, 23:29
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
Paul, in 1967 Benhope was GJZD. I presume this is the one you mean.
Old 1st February 2018, 09:22
Active: 1971 - 1983

My location
The old Benhope certainly was GJZD - which was her call sign in her previous incarnation as the Egidia. Quite possibly this was also assigned to the 'new' Benhope?

Old 10th February 2018, 22:19

Thanks guys. No, it was the later one, the large bulk carrier, built in 1978 that I was after, having served on her in '80/'81. There are some good pix of both ships in the gallery, I see.
Old 10th February 2018, 23:28
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moulder View Post
The old Benhope certainly was GJZD - which was her call sign in her previous incarnation as the Egidia. Quite possibly this was also assigned to the 'new' Benhope?

Not usual. UK Call signs were assigned by the British Post Office to a British ship when it was first registered and, as long as it remained under British registry, the initial call sign remained with the ship until scrapped, regardless of the name or owners of the vessel. The ship could be sold many times and could undergo many name changes but the call sign (and the Official Number) remained the same throughout its time on the British Register.

Call signs were not reused until all other available call signs had been issued and then the old call signs were re-assigned on the basis of the length of time they had been 'out of service' - oldest first. I had that information first hand from a member of the Post Office branch which issued the call signs. (An exception was the re-use of GBTT).

When the responsibility passed from the GPO to various Government departments (MPT, Dept of Trade & Industry, Home Office etc.,) I think that the same principles were observed but I cannot confirm that.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.

Last edited by Ron Stringer; 10th February 2018 at 23:43..
Old 10th February 2018, 23:42
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
Sorry Paul, my last Lloyds List was 77-78 and has not got her.
Old 11th February 2018, 00:52
Active: 1980 - 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
Not usual. UK Call signs were assigned by the British Post Office to a British ship when it was first registered and, as long as it remained under British registry, the initial call sign remained with the ship until scrapped, regardless of the name or owners of the vessel. The ship could be sold many times and could undergo many name changes but the call sign (and the Official Number) remained the same throughout its time on the British Register.

Call signs were not reused until all other available call signs had been issued and then the old call signs were re-assigned on the basis of the length of time they had been 'out of service' - oldest first. I had that information first hand from a member of the Post Office branch which issued the call signs. (An exception was the re-use of GBTT).

When the responsibility passed from the GPO to various Government departments (MPT, Dept of Trade & Industry, Home Office etc.,) I think that the same principles were observed but I cannot confirm that.
Very interesting, particularly the callsign being treated the same as the IMO number...
Old 11th February 2018, 13:05
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
Very interesting, particularly the callsign being treated the same as the IMO number...
Almost - if the ship left the UK Register, the call sign lapsed and its new flag state issued a new one. The IMO number remains with the ship whatever its registry.

But sticking with the same call sign was the norm long before IMO was even a dream in the bureaucrats eyes. Sparkies were there first, yet again!

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 11th February 2018, 15:32
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2011

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braxton View Post
Thanks guys. No, it was the later one, the large bulk carrier, built in 1978 that I was after, having served on her in '80/'81. There are somO good pix of both ships in the gallery, I see.
Hope this helps Paul I have a copy of Lloyds Register of Ships 1979-80 which has the Benhope as a 72100 grossbulker owners as Sheaf Steamshipping Co Ltd Official Number 7356630 and the call sign is GXZH.
Old 11th February 2018, 23:33

Thanks a lot for that, Albie. I got it right! (Should have, I did two long trips on her).

My last two ship's callsigns were always a bit elusive in the memory, for some reason.
Old 11th February 2018, 23:49
Active: 1980 - 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
Almost - if the ship left the UK Register, the call sign lapsed and its new flag state issued a new one. The IMO number remains with the ship whatever its registry.

But sticking with the same call sign was the norm long before IMO was even a dream in the bureaucrats eyes. Sparkies were there first, yet again!
Yes, sorry I meant the o/n...
Old 16th February 2018, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moulder View Post

By that callsign brings back memories my first ship as junior R/O.
Old 16th February 2018, 12:04
Active: 1971 - 1983

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinj View Post
By that callsign brings back memories my first ship as junior R/O.
Mine to Robinj - can visualise the radio room and bridge deck layout now. Really wished that we'd had digital cameras in those days.