Did anyone keep their log books? - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
23:06

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Did anyone keep their log books?

User Tag List

Old 19th July 2018, 11:20

Try a UK/Far East/UK jag over five months circa 58 MF only..
Old 20th July 2018, 00:21

I have one logbook uploaded to the Internet Archive. It's my SOS log of ms PRINSENDAM/PJTA of October 1980. See https://archive.org/details/SosMsPrinsendamOctober41980 the log is here: https://archive.org/download/SosMsPr...sendam_log.pdf (files are over to the right). Things got so quickly out of hand that my usually neat log became frantic. I typed up a copy from this log. Many 500 kHz recordings are available here: http://tinyurl.com/djringjr
Old 20th July 2018, 02:26
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1969

On my only passenger ship, the Chief R/O would tear off the previous days log sheets and take them away, read them, then give the errant R/O (there were 6 of us) a bollocking if we had made even the slightest error. The complete traffic list from GKB twice per watch (4 on, 8 off) plus WSL, WCC, PCH and CFH lists too.

After leaving dry dock in Rotterdam on the "Naess Sovereign" we did a compass swing around the lightship - the lightship took bearings and radio'd them back to the bridge. Fair enough. When we had completed one circle around the lightship the old man came in and asked if I had got all those DF bearings alright! Later on going down the channel I took a few DF bearings on the beacons and compared them with the bridge wing repeater and the chart - seemed close enough to me!
Old 20th July 2018, 04:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Try a UK/Far East/UK jag over five months circa 58 MF only..
Did the same on the mv Scorton, had a call from another ship when in the middle of the Pacific telling me there was a message for me at some place about 2000K miles away, could not do anything about it.
Old 20th July 2018, 04:54

Had the same after leaving Manila for Indonesia and found the best shot was to contact a H24 ship out of the normal H8 watch period and there was always one or more in Far East waters then. Think it was P&O Stratheden/GDGT that kindly obliged.
Have posted a MF only thread on this forum. Would appreciate your comments.
Old 20th July 2018, 05:06

Not quite as dx or remote but had similar after leaving Manila for Indonesia and found the best shot was to contact a H24 ship out of the normal H8 watch period and there was always one or more in Far East waters then. Think it was P&O Stratheden/GDGT that kindly obliged.
Have posted a MF only thread on this forum. Would appreciate your comments.
Old 21st July 2018, 08:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai Pen Rai View Post
Correction to my earlier off topic post (sorry) re DF (Direction Finder) calibration. It was more like 1970 not 1980 I now realise. Yep ..Im that old. I vaguely recall I had to request the beacon be switched on in advance by sending a message. Cant remember to whom but possibly Trinity House. Normally it was only switched on when foggy. Probaly when the foghorn was going the DF beacon started too. If I recall correct ... the 3rd mate was taking visual observations and shouting the bearing out to me at the DF set on the bridge to compare with my reading. It would be 1 or 2 degrees out and you noted the difference. Each bearing .. the theory was it would have a permanent error. The funnel, masts, cranes and rigging causing it .. but it was a consistent error so if needed for real in fog and failed radar it was usefull. If the rigging changed the error changed thus mandatory calibration of errors every so often. 2 years I guess. But just going round and round the beacon strange ...I was a newbie and was not gonna arque with the captain and pilot. The 3rd mate much later agreed he saw my point but kept silent. It stayed roughly 090 I guess. As stated I logged it that it was done succesfully. The DF was never used ..... but a backup for radar failure in fog. I am so glad now I invented satnav later. I jest.
Sounds like the 3rd Mate had more idea than the Old Man and the pilot!

I'm a bit hazy now but weren't there some Q codes relating to DF Bearings (QTG or somat?). I think you could book those none continuous DF stations for a calibration via the coast stations. I mentioned somewhere else doing it on Nab Tower for the Queen Mary - think we received instructions from the Captain of the Dockyard in Portsmouth.

John T
Old 21st July 2018, 09:28
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo2 View Post
There were instructions inside the front cover on the Oz ones...
... and on the UK ones.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 21st July 2018, 09:45
Active: 1980 - 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
... and on the UK ones.
Ha! I'm sure our powers that be just copied the UK ones....
Old 21st July 2018, 09:52

Oh, BTW, I'm posting from my laptop....Troppo and Troppo2 are one and the same....

Old 22nd July 2018, 05:46

I am very glad that I did not sail with Blue Flu, to take down the whole of the GKA tfc list was a complete waste of time. In NZS we were much more civilised and concentrated only on our own company QTC.
Old 22nd July 2018, 06:21

DF cal

What a laugh - steaming around a beacon for DF cal.
After my sea time I worked ashore in Fremantle for AWA. We would hoist a wire aerial up to the North Mole light house and transmit - a very unstable signal - so requesting ships could calibrate their DF. This was the 60s and 70s
Fortunately no one tried to steam around us.
Old 22nd July 2018, 07:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternahan View Post
After my sea time I worked ashore in Fremantle for AWA. We would hoist a wire aerial up to the North Mole light house and transmit - a very unstable signal - so requesting ships could calibrate their DF. This was the 60s and 70s
Welcome to SN, Ternahan.

They should have popped down to Cape Leeuwin where they had one of these - the real thing!

John T

PS Bummer! My photo of Leeuwin's DF transmitter didn't appear.

PPS Whoops, yes it did, it's just lying down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.9 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by trotterdotpom; 22nd July 2018 at 07:34.. Reason: Add PS Add PPS
Old 22nd July 2018, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoco View Post
On my only passenger ship, the Chief R/O would tear off the previous days log sheets and take them away, read them, then give the errant R/O (there were 6 of us) a bollocking..
Don't wish to appear pedantic but your chief must have had friends in high places ie by tearing off pages thus leaving the radio log wide open to counterfeit change and false re-entry.
Old 22nd July 2018, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternahan View Post
Yes, the Wollongong Depot had one as well.
Old 22nd July 2018, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoco View Post
On my only passenger ship, the Chief R/O would tear off the previous days log sheets and take them away, read them, then give the errant R/O (there were 6 of us) a bollocking..
Don't wish to appear pedantic but your chief must have had friends in high places ie by tearing off pages thus leaving the radio log wide open to counterfeit change and false re-entry.
Old 22nd July 2018, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonarfur View Post
In NZS we were much more civilised and concentrated only on our own company QTC.
Lucky you with such a fantastic company and puritanical voyage run..
Give me ragged GTZB regs and the bag shanty pleasures of the Far East any day,,
Old 22nd July 2018, 11:39

My location
Quote:
No, no need for friends in high places, more the case of that, once sent ashore, nobody ever looked at Radio Logbooks unless there was some sort of enquiry into the loss of a vessel. They were kept for an indeterminate length of time before being dumped.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 22nd July 2018, 11:44
Active: 1964 - 1969

Memory is doubtless a little hazy - it was 50+ years ago - perhaps he only took out the carbons. The top sheet was written in that ghastly indelible pencil so fraudulent adjustment would have been difficult. The carbons were supposedly delivered to the Liverpool Marconi office so I suppose the Chief chose to deliver them himself at the end of the trip.

Last edited by majoco; 22nd July 2018 at 11:48..
Old 22nd July 2018, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
No, no need for friends in high places, more the case of that, once sent ashore, nobody ever looked at Radio Logbooks unless there was some sort of enquiry into the loss of a vessel. They were kept for an indeterminate length of time before being dumped.
Not according to my Ship Inspection source that all ship radio logs were systematically combed for log-keeping anomaly thence retained for a minimum of six months or more should there be a pending inquiry and then destroyed..
Hence my query on page removal that would obviously broach log-book integrity..
Old 22nd July 2018, 14:15

My location
Well, R65, you may be right but I was responsible for the UK's radio Ship Inspection Service (and for MIMCo's radio officer supply) for several years and we never received a single log book from a UK ship. I believe they were retained by the Dept of Transport Shipping Office (or maybe forwarded by them to the DTI?). They certainly were not delivered to the ship inspection service in my day.

I have spoken to colleagues who worked in MIMCo's personnel department and they cannot recall a single occasion when a complaint was received (from anyone) about the standard of log-keeping by an R/O. But is was a long time ago and their memories are as fallible as anyone's. Maybe MIMCo's R/Os were perfect and it was only other companies that employed fallible humans.

However, having observed many R/Os aboard ship, employed by both MIMCo and others (and listened to their anecdotes), I have to say that I encountered a very wide range of commitment and attention to detail over the years. When visiting ships I met, or was told about, R/Os that were seldom sober, at sea as well as in port. I found battery locker doors that were rusted shut and had to have the hinges burned off so that the emergency radio batteries could be examined (and subsequently condemned). Failure to maintain equipment, spares or spares lists was common; all things that were essential to the job and visible to even the most minimal checks. I cannot believe that such R/Os then maintained their radio logbooks in such a way that would bear serious examination and avoid censure. At annual Safety Certificate Surveys, a brief examination of the current logbook was made but usually the R/O had prepared well for such visits. Often, since such surveys were mainly in UK ports, the logbook had gone ashore with the previous voyage document returns.

Perhaps the DoT/DTI's system employed spot checks on a (very small) small sample of returned logbooks but I cannot think that a routine logbook check could have been performed on every returned logbook. If it had been I am sure that our R/O providing department would have been fully aware of it.

That is only my personal experience and it may well be as you say. But I hae ma doots.

Old 22nd July 2018, 14:37

The time I speak RS would be under HMG GPO 's Inspectorate of Wireless Telegraphy that I left in 1965 and there was certainly at this time no farming out of anything as important as Ship Inspection to private companies such as Marconi and I can vouch for the punitive severity of radio reg breaking at any level not only Shipping but the Coastal Radio Service as well...
Almost like living on a different planet today but it worked like clockwork as I think most HMG departments did then.
Old 22nd July 2018, 15:05

The time I speak RS would be under HMG GPO 's Inspectorate of Wireless Telegraphy 1964 and there was certainly no farming out of anything as important as Ship Inspection etc to private companies such as Marconi at this time;;
What date are you referring to?
Old 22nd July 2018, 17:57
Active: 1971 - 1983

My location
Quote:
Not according to my Ship Inspection source that all ship radio logs were systematically combed for log-keeping anomaly thence retained for a minimum of six months or more should there be a pending inquiry and then destroyed..
Hence my query on page removal that would obviously broach log-book integrity..

At the end of the day, the Chief R/O would sign the log and the Master would sign each day's entry as well. Majoco seems to remember that his Chief tore out the previous days' carbon copies (perforated page) and inspected them. How would this breach log-book integrity?

Old 22nd July 2018, 20:11

Maybe a senior moment on my part but I don't remember the radio log carbon copy page as perforated or removable but am perfectly happy to be corrected on this.