Counties Ship Management Co Ltd, - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Counties Ship Management Co Ltd,

User Tag List

Old 1st September 2018, 13:26

I was, also, 3rd mate of Woldingham Hill. I think I joined in '53. I remember that I was in an Avonmouth hotel, waiting for her, when Stalin died.
Robson was Master.

The voyages were, loading in Antwerp, final discharge in Saigon, with various ports in between, on a Messageries Maratimes charter. Then, across the Pacific to Vancouver, loading grain and a deck cargo of timber to Manchester.

2nd voyage, Antwerp to Saigon again, Vancouver and same cargo again but, this time, Capetown, Durban, Beira. Thence, in ballast to Takaradi loading ore for Liverpool.

Then I paid off and went up for Mate's Cert.. If you want exact dates I'll have to fish out my discharge book.

I consider myself very fortunate. The ports were great and I got just the right sea time in for Mate's exam. I was not so fortunate on Notting Hill. 22 months, one voyage, most of it spent on the Indian Coast coal run ie. Calcutta to Colombo. Such was the nature of life in Counties, tipical trampship stuff.
Old 26th October 2018, 08:03

I was offered the mates job on the Denmark Hill when registering unestablished on the pool at Liverpool. The ink wasn't quite dry on my mates certificate.
The story I was given by the guy behind the desk was the ship was taking a full load of scrap out to Japan and the ship was then to be scrapped there too. When I asked if it was a run agreement and was informed no two year articles, I declined the offer much to his disappointment.
Old 26th October 2018, 09:26
Active: 1954 - 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave437 View Post
Hi Bruce, well you were a bit later than me (1953-1958), the 2 ships I sailed in were a Doxford economy (London Banker ex Tower Hill) and the Akti Hill, ex Fort La Cloche. Maybe by your time they had modernised...had they? I well remember that the Akti Hill was badly corroded, my fellow apprentice and I spent many hours using a windy hammer on tne hatch coamings, the decks and the tween deck. Thats why my hands shake now.......well thats my excuse!
Dave 437
rum maybe