Most memorable bar visited "up the road" ? - Page 12 - Ships Nostalgia
11:40

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Most memorable bar visited "up the road" ?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #276  
Old 24th May 2018, 21:57
alan ward alan ward is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,988
The Zillertal,memories of Monica and a day trip to a bar somewhere in a forest outside Hamburgplaying footie with a load of very anti British Germans
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 25th May 2018, 06:10
WhiteCliffs-1948 WhiteCliffs-1948 is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1970
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 24
1967-1970.Always when in Melbourne, London Family Hotel because it was a 7a.m. opener for the dockers and we would drink there until the Pier Hotel opened at 10. Never any need to go further as the girls would all join us there if they weren't already with us . Very happy days, now long gone and Port Melbourne is now "respectable".
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 25th May 2018, 09:24
tiachapman tiachapman is offline  
Senior Member
Active: 1954 - 1981
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,654
the Waterloo in newport
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 2nd August 2018, 19:51
knighta knighta is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 65
Seamen's Bars

We were discussing "Seamen's Bars" in the coffee room (I dare not say where) where several of us are former mariners. This is what we remember:

LONDON
The Stack of Bricks (near King Ted's)
The Cooper's Arms (near King Ted's)
Charlie Brown's
The Prospect of Whitby (on the Isle of Dogs)
The Connaught Arms (Royal Victoria Docks)
The Roundhouse (King George V Docks)
The Cat and Cracker (at Shellhaven)
The Brown Bear (Leaman St)
The Princess of Prussia ((Prescott St)
The Old Graving Dock Tavern
The Horns and Horseshoes (known as Barney's, after the black guy who owned it)( Cable St)
The Sir Sidney Smith (Dock St)
The Tidal Basin Tavern, Victoria Docks, Camden Town.

HULL
The Minerva

NORTH SHIELDS
The Jungle

GLASGOW
Betty's Bar

KIRKWALL
The Kirkwall Hotel

LERWICK
Every pub in town!

LIVERPOOL
The Caradoc
Yate's Wine Lodge

EASTHAM
The Eastham Hotel

PLYMOUTH
The Antelope (on the Octagon)( Always pronounced an-TEL-opee)
The Minerva
The Long Bar on Union Street (upstairs there was a sleazy strip-club called The Pink P*ssy C*t; I never went there. Honest)
The United Services, on Union Street
Plymouth Sailing Club, on the Barbican (also known as the Groin Exchange; many MN officers met their first wife there!)

SOUTHAMPTON (WARSASH)
The Silver Fern
The Rising Sun
The Great Harry

PORTSMOUTH
The Albany
The Sir John Peel (where the barmaid, who wore black stockings and a miniskirt used to climb a step-ladder to clean the mirror behind the bar. I averted my eyes. Honest!)

ABERDEEN
The Crown and Anchor
The Imperial Hotel (known as The Dog Track because of the old dogs that used to go to "Over 25's night, also known as "Grab a Granny Night")
The Torrey Bar, on Torrey Dock.

ANTWERP
Danny's Bar (is it a girl? Is it a boy?)
The Schipper Quartier; friendly ladies would wave from their window)

HAMBURG
The Zillertal (where there was an Oompah band. If you bought them a round, you could "conduct" the band, with amusing results!)
The Reeperbahn
Canal Strasse

HALIFAX, NOVA SCOTIA
The Lighthouse Tavern, on Barrington Street, (where the beer was cheap, and the women even.... more beautiful than in the last port)

St. JOHN"S, NEWFOUNDLAND
Sir Humphrey's (which burned down after the brass pole overheated!)
The Strand
The Cotton Club
The Crow's Nest

MONTREAL
The Blue Angel

GOLFITO, COSTA RICA
Just outside the gate of the banana berth, there was a green-painted bar with a veranda, on which the "waitresses" would invite you to sample their fluids. Anyone remember its name?

BUENOS AIRES
Tanker Joe's, on the Canal du Sur
Gato Negro (Black Cat) and lots more in the 25th de Mayo area

PUNTA ARENAS
Maria Theresa's

CURACAO
Campo Allegro
Happy Valley
The Jungle

MOJI
The Rialto

SYDNEY, NSW
Montgomery's Bar
The Wooloomooloo Bay Hotel

LYTTLETON, NZ
The British (destroyed by an earthquake

NEW PLYMOUTH, NZ
The Breakwater (it burned down)

CAPE TOWN
Del Monico's

DURBAN
Lots down Point Road

HODEIDAH
The Bristol Hotel

DUBAI
The Prince of Wales

LOURENCO MARQUES
A tatty place on the edge of town where you could hear gunfire in the jungle. I need help with that one!

MOMBASA
The first bar on the left, just past the elephant's tusks, on Moi Avenue. (I need help with that one too!)

MUMBAI
Grant Road
The Star of India

SINGAPORE
The Straits Cabaret (a shipmate of mine married the Chinese Mama-san. Last time I saw him, he had given up sailing, and become a ship-owner!)
The Cellar Bar, on Collier Quay
The Keelong Bar on Pulau Bukom. It was on stilts over the harbour. (They did great Nasi Goreng, but it was wise to leave before the punch-up started amongst the lads who had been on the Vietnam coast run during the war!)
Bugis Street, where the "women" were beautiful, but had "Adam's Apples", if you get my drift!
Connell House Seamen's Hotel (next door to the Norwegian Seamen's Mission, which had a good swimming pool)
The Anson, on Anson Road
The Guan Guan Bar

PENANG
The Cellar Bar

SHAGHAI
The Long Bar

KOBE
Clancy's Bar, and many others in the Motomachi district.

If you can think of any more, please let Ships Nostalgia know; we are the last generation who experienced these places, most are long gone, and when we "cross the bar", it will all be lost forever.
Watch the job for me. I'm off for a cold one. Notchy.
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 29th September 2018, 05:47
morky1 morky1 is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 15
The Bomb Shelter in Tilbury, barely qualifies as a bar, but interesting, The Tangle Inn, Singapore, Monty's in Sydney (now yuppified ), the Edinburgh Castle in San Francisco
Reply With Quote
  #281  
Old 29th September 2018, 08:59
bluemoon bluemoon is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1984
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 131
The Tangle Inn was a particular favourite of mine. The a/c inside was almost artic and a jumper or jacket was needed.
The food, especially their curry, was to die for and I vividly remember the starched table clothes and napkins.
In the late 70's early 80's the owner's son was in the Singapore Army and a member of the President's bodyguard.
Reply With Quote
  #282  
Old 29th September 2018, 21:26
saudisid saudisid is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1965 - 2008
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighta View Post
We were discussing "Seamen's Bars" in the coffee room (I dare not say where) where several of us are former mariners. This is what we remember:

LONDON
The Stack of Bricks (near King Ted's)
The Cooper's Arms (near King Ted's)
Charlie Brown's
The Prospect of Whitby (on the Isle of Dogs)
The Connaught Arms (Royal Victoria Docks)
The Roundhouse (King George V Docks)
The Cat and Cracker (at Shellhaven)
The Brown Bear (Leaman St)
The Princess of Prussia ((Prescott St)
The Old Graving Dock Tavern
The Horns and Horseshoes (known as Barney's, after the black guy who owned it)( Cable St)
The Sir Sidney Smith (Dock St)
The Tidal Basin Tavern, Victoria Docks, Camden Town.

HULL
The Minerva

NORTH SHIELDS
The Jungle

GLASGOW
Betty's Bar

KIRKWALL
The Kirkwall Hotel

LERWICK
Every pub in town!

LIVERPOOL
The Caradoc
Yate's Wine Lodge

EASTHAM
The Eastham Hotel

PLYMOUTH
The Antelope (on the Octagon)( Always pronounced an-TEL-opee)
The Minerva
The Long Bar on Union Street (upstairs there was a sleazy strip-club called The Pink P*ssy C*t; I never went there. Honest)
The United Services, on Union Street
Plymouth Sailing Club, on the Barbican (also known as the Groin Exchange; many MN officers met their first wife there!)

SOUTHAMPTON (WARSASH)
The Silver Fern
The Rising Sun
The Great Harry

PORTSMOUTH
The Albany
The Sir John Peel (where the barmaid, who wore black stockings and a miniskirt used to climb a step-ladder to clean the mirror behind the bar. I averted my eyes. Honest!)

ABERDEEN
The Crown and Anchor
The Imperial Hotel (known as The Dog Track because of the old dogs that used to go to "Over 25's night, also known as "Grab a Granny Night")
The Torrey Bar, on Torrey Dock.

ANTWERP
Danny's Bar (is it a girl? Is it a boy?)
The Schipper Quartier; friendly ladies would wave from their window)

HAMBURG
The Zillertal (where there was an Oompah band. If you bought them a round, you could "conduct" the band, with amusing results!)
The Reeperbahn
Canal Strasse

HALIFAX, NOVA SCOTIA
The Lighthouse Tavern, on Barrington Street, (where the beer was cheap, and the women even.... more beautiful than in the last port)

St. JOHN"S, NEWFOUNDLAND
Sir Humphrey's (which burned down after the brass pole overheated!)
The Strand
The Cotton Club
The Crow's Nest

MONTREAL
The Blue Angel

GOLFITO, COSTA RICA
Just outside the gate of the banana berth, there was a green-painted bar with a veranda, on which the "waitresses" would invite you to sample their fluids. Anyone remember its name?

BUENOS AIRES
Tanker Joe's, on the Canal du Sur
Gato Negro (Black Cat) and lots more in the 25th de Mayo area

PUNTA ARENAS
Maria Theresa's

CURACAO
Campo Allegro
Happy Valley
The Jungle

MOJI
The Rialto

SYDNEY, NSW
Montgomery's Bar
The Wooloomooloo Bay Hotel

LYTTLETON, NZ
The British (destroyed by an earthquake

NEW PLYMOUTH, NZ
The Breakwater (it burned down)

CAPE TOWN
Del Monico's

DURBAN
Lots down Point Road

HODEIDAH
The Bristol Hotel

DUBAI
The Prince of Wales

LOURENCO MARQUES
A tatty place on the edge of town where you could hear gunfire in the jungle. I need help with that one!

MOMBASA
The first bar on the left, just past the elephant's tusks, on Moi Avenue. (I need help with that one too!)

MUMBAI
Grant Road
The Star of India

SINGAPORE
The Straits Cabaret (a shipmate of mine married the Chinese Mama-san. Last time I saw him, he had given up sailing, and become a ship-owner!)
The Cellar Bar, on Collier Quay
The Keelong Bar on Pulau Bukom. It was on stilts over the harbour. (They did great Nasi Goreng, but it was wise to leave before the punch-up started amongst the lads who had been on the Vietnam coast run during the war!)
Bugis Street, where the "women" were beautiful, but had "Adam's Apples", if you get my drift!
Connell House Seamen's Hotel (next door to the Norwegian Seamen's Mission, which had a good swimming pool)
The Anson, on Anson Road
The Guan Guan Bar

PENANG
The Cellar Bar

SHAGHAI
The Long Bar

KOBE
Clancy's Bar, and many others in the Motomachi district.

If you can think of any more, please let Ships Nostalgia know; we are the last generation who experienced these places, most are long gone, and when we "cross the bar", it will all be lost forever.
Watch the job for me. I'm off for a cold one. Notchy.
Mombasa it was the Casablanca just past the Tusks. Had a meal in the Hong Kong next door in 74. Then into the Casablanca for one for the Road.
Question Have you ever been groped by a Mombasa " Lady " in a blond wig singing Christmas Carols ???
Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old 29th September 2018, 21:41
Pat Kennedy's Avatar
Pat Kennedy Pat Kennedy is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,997
Anyone remember Toby's Paradise Bar in Anson Rd, Singapore?

About three years ago a guy posted that question on here, and asked if anyone had any memories of this particular bar and it's owner, the aforementioned Toby.
Well i responded and a few weeks later I got a reply from the poster who turned out to be a professor at New York University.
He was acting on behalf of a Chinese/American film maker named Sikay Tang, who was researching Toby and his chequered history. and he asked if he could put this Sikay Tang in touch with me.
Of course, suspecting some kind of scam, I googled both of them and found that they were genuine
She duly contacted me a few days later, and told me she was coming to the UK the following May and could she call at my house and do a filmed interview.
In due course this came to pass, Ms Tang, a charming young lady arrived on the appointed date with a film crew of two, and carried out a very long session of filming and quizzing me about Toby's, and also about my experiences in the British Merchant Navy.
She had spent the previous couple of days filming several ex seamen in Liverpool and was doing some more in Liverpool, Birkenhead and Lancashire over the following few days.
She mentioned that her sound engineer was not available for this future filming and said she needed to find a replacement locally.
I recommended my grandson, Jack, who was at that time just completing a degree in media studies, which included sound engineering etc, so she hired him, and he accompanied her for the remainder of her project in the UK, for which she paid him handsomely.
Anyway, Sikay Tang has kept in touch with me, and from time to time advises me of progress.
"Still in development " she says.
She promised to send me a copy
I hope I live to see it!
So far, all I've had is a couple of New Year greeting cards and a box of Shortbread biccies

Pat
__________________
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"
Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old 30th September 2018, 03:36
JoeQ's Avatar
JoeQ JoeQ is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighta View Post
We were discussing "Seamen's Bars" in the coffee room (I dare not say where) where several of us are former mariners. This is what we remember:


LOURENCO MARQUES
A tatty place on the edge of town where you could hear gunfire in the jungle. I need help with that one!


If you can think of any more, please let Ships Nostalgia know; we are the last generation who experienced these places, most are long gone, and when we "cross the bar", it will all be lost forever.
Watch the job for me. I'm off for a cold one. Notchy.
In LM there was a street of bars on the right outside the dock gate, I remember Maxime's and the World Bar. Some pretty long nights in there. The beer was disgusting, Lauentina or 2M IIRC the first mouthful was terrible but by the time you got half way through your first bottle you kind of got used to it
Reply With Quote
  #285  
Old 30th September 2018, 09:56
Tony Drury Tony Drury is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 92
Joe

Also remember LM for bottles of Lagoste (think it was a wine imported from Portugal so drinkable?) and peri peri prawns.

The hangovers probably came from cocktailing drinkable wine with undrinkable beer!
Reply With Quote
  #286  
Old 30th September 2018, 11:51
john hardy john hardy is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 98
ah, chancre alley in LM, did a couple of trips there, great times were had by all. remember the wine very well, found the beer quite drinkable, but there again, was never fussy.
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 30th September 2018, 12:52
AlbieR AlbieR is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2011
 
Join Date: May 2007
My location
Posts: 477
All this talk of LM reminded me of LM Radio, still going strong and as good as ever, listen here. http://radio.garden/live/maputo/lm-radio-fm-87-8/ Enjoy!
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 30th September 2018, 14:35
Michael Taylor Michael Taylor is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1959 - 1977
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Drury View Post
Joe

Also remember LM for bottles of Lagoste (think it was a wine imported from Portugal so drinkable?) and peri peri prawns.

The hangovers probably came from cocktailing drinkable wine with undrinkable beer!
Tony you can still buy that wine here in the States...its a vinho verde and has a prawn on the label. Remember peri peri shrimp, they used to count the heads left remaining on your plate and charge by how many eaten. The cats under the table managed to keep our bill low !

Last edited by Michael Taylor; 30th September 2018 at 18:44..
Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old 30th September 2018, 16:34
PompeyMush PompeyMush is offline
Member
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1978 - 1990
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by leboot View Post
As mentioned The Sunshine, and The New Florida. If the lads weren't in one they were in the other!
I went to Mombers a few years back on holiday and could not find the Sunshine Bar or Rainbow. The place has changed so much since I was there in the late 70`s early 80`s.. The Florida was still there though.
Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old 30th September 2018, 18:33
R815614 R815614 is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 80
seamen bars;;;;;possibly the bar in golfito was Emmas,picnic bar was up the hill.ran there with fyffes for 10 years, but memory bit vague, must of been the rum..skin ports all had good bars. Eddie
Reply With Quote
  #291  
Old 1st October 2018, 11:08
DickGraham DickGraham is online now  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1972 - 1980
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 39
Yes LM - loverly! Seem to remember drinking beer with gold foil round the top - cost 2.50 Escudos per bottle but could get 70 Escudos to the pound on the black market - made the "escort fees" particularly cheap as well
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 1st October 2018, 11:54
Varley's Avatar
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1971 - 2011
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,579
Anyone remember Godfrey Hartley. MTS Chaplain at LM. He wasn't a stranger to a (strictly) convivial glass.
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 1st October 2018, 13:42
john richards john richards is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 258
Thanks AlbieR #287 . Found some Crackin` Radio Stations Centro America & Nashville USA Gracias. Good bars 2 in St Margarete`s Hope South Ronaldsay, Orkney, while working on Gills Bay Ferry Crossing.
Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old 1st October 2018, 15:01
Frank P's Avatar
Frank P Frank P is online now  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
My location
Posts: 6,939
Bangkok, the Mosquito bar and the Venus bar
Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 1st October 2018, 17:47
vickentallen vickentallen is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 2000
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
My location
Posts: 982
Chatham, The Fountain, good for a scrap most nights. in the 50s
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 1st October 2018, 17:56
saudisid saudisid is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1965 - 2008
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Drury View Post
Joe

Also remember LM for bottles of Lagoste (think it was a wine imported from Portugal so drinkable?) and peri peri prawns.

The hangovers probably came from cocktailing drinkable wine with undrinkable beer!
Dont forget the Peri Peri Chichens Tony. Must have been 73 in the Montreal.

Alan
Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 8th December 2018, 10:52
john larder john larder is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1942 - Present
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 23
my most memorable bar although not the first one was in 1943 inn Auckland n.z. at that time all bars etc closed at 6pm dailywe found one called Gleesons if you signed in as a resident it was open to midnight i this cost you about 3shillings and sixpence you also got a rebate if you left at an earlier time.I bannot remember my first bar at 93 the memory is not at its best John
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 8th December 2018, 16:23
LouisB's Avatar
LouisB LouisB is offline  
Senior Member
Active: 1964 - 1995
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighta View Post
We were discussing "Seamen's Bars" in the coffee room (I dare not say where) where several of us are former mariners. This is what we remember:

LONDON
The Stack of Bricks (near King Ted's)
The Cooper's Arms (near King Ted's)
Charlie Brown's
The Prospect of Whitby (on the Isle of Dogs)
The Connaught Arms (Royal Victoria Docks)
The Roundhouse (King George V Docks)
The Cat and Cracker (at Shellhaven)
The Brown Bear (Leaman St)
The Princess of Prussia ((Prescott St)
The Old Graving Dock Tavern
The Horns and Horseshoes (known as Barney's, after the black guy who owned it)( Cable St)
The Sir Sidney Smith (Dock St)
The Tidal Basin Tavern, Victoria Docks, Camden Town.

HULL
The Minerva

NORTH SHIELDS
The Jungle

GLASGOW
Betty's Bar

KIRKWALL
The Kirkwall Hotel

LERWICK
Every pub in town!

LIVERPOOL
The Caradoc
Yate's Wine Lodge

EASTHAM
The Eastham Hotel

PLYMOUTH
The Antelope (on the Octagon)( Always pronounced an-TEL-opee)
The Minerva
The Long Bar on Union Street (upstairs there was a sleazy strip-club called The Pink P*ssy C*t; I never went there. Honest)
The United Services, on Union Street
Plymouth Sailing Club, on the Barbican (also known as the Groin Exchange; many MN officers met their first wife there!)

SOUTHAMPTON (WARSASH)
The Silver Fern
The Rising Sun
The Great Harry

PORTSMOUTH
The Albany
The Sir John Peel (where the barmaid, who wore black stockings and a miniskirt used to climb a step-ladder to clean the mirror behind the bar. I averted my eyes. Honest!)

ABERDEEN
The Crown and Anchor
The Imperial Hotel (known as The Dog Track because of the old dogs that used to go to "Over 25's night, also known as "Grab a Granny Night")
The Torrey Bar, on Torrey Dock.

ANTWERP
Danny's Bar (is it a girl? Is it a boy?)
The Schipper Quartier; friendly ladies would wave from their window)

HAMBURG
The Zillertal (where there was an Oompah band. If you bought them a round, you could "conduct" the band, with amusing results!)
The Reeperbahn
Canal Strasse

HALIFAX, NOVA SCOTIA
The Lighthouse Tavern, on Barrington Street, (where the beer was cheap, and the women even.... more beautiful than in the last port)

St. JOHN"S, NEWFOUNDLAND
Sir Humphrey's (which burned down after the brass pole overheated!)
The Strand
The Cotton Club
The Crow's Nest

MONTREAL
The Blue Angel

GOLFITO, COSTA RICA
Just outside the gate of the banana berth, there was a green-painted bar with a veranda, on which the "waitresses" would invite you to sample their fluids. Anyone remember its name?

BUENOS AIRES
Tanker Joe's, on the Canal du Sur
Gato Negro (Black Cat) and lots more in the 25th de Mayo area

PUNTA ARENAS
Maria Theresa's

CURACAO
Campo Allegro
Happy Valley
The Jungle

MOJI
The Rialto

SYDNEY, NSW
Montgomery's Bar
The Wooloomooloo Bay Hotel

LYTTLETON, NZ
The British (destroyed by an earthquake

NEW PLYMOUTH, NZ
The Breakwater (it burned down)

CAPE TOWN
Del Monico's

DURBAN
Lots down Point Road

HODEIDAH
The Bristol Hotel

DUBAI
The Prince of Wales

LOURENCO MARQUES
A tatty place on the edge of town where you could hear gunfire in the jungle. I need help with that one!

MOMBASA
The first bar on the left, just past the elephant's tusks, on Moi Avenue. (I need help with that one too!)

MUMBAI
Grant Road
The Star of India

SINGAPORE
The Straits Cabaret (a shipmate of mine married the Chinese Mama-san. Last time I saw him, he had given up sailing, and become a ship-owner!)
The Cellar Bar, on Collier Quay
The Keelong Bar on Pulau Bukom. It was on stilts over the harbour. (They did great Nasi Goreng, but it was wise to leave before the punch-up started amongst the lads who had been on the Vietnam coast run during the war!)
Bugis Street, where the "women" were beautiful, but had "Adam's Apples", if you get my drift!
Connell House Seamen's Hotel (next door to the Norwegian Seamen's Mission, which had a good swimming pool)
The Anson, on Anson Road
The Guan Guan Bar

PENANG
The Cellar Bar

SHAGHAI
The Long Bar

KOBE
Clancy's Bar, and many others in the Motomachi district.

If you can think of any more, please let Ships Nostalgia know; we are the last generation who experienced these places, most are long gone, and when we "cross the bar", it will all be lost forever.
Watch the job for me. I'm off for a cold one. Notchy.
Memories memories of thirty odd years of ships and the sea - really enjoyed going through the list. Thanks for posting.


LouisB
__________________
R814683
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 9th December 2018, 09:58
Moulder's Avatar
Moulder Moulder is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1983
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
My location
Posts: 876
The Kings Arms in Kobe was a good place to start before the evening continued in the Motomachi. Nearly always had a game of darts with students who wanted to improve their English.

Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 13th December 2018, 12:39
trotterdotpom trotterdotpom is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 18,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moulder View Post
The Kings Arms in Kobe was a good place to start before the evening continued in the Motomachi. Nearly always had a game of darts with students who wanted to improve their English.

About the only time I ever won a game of darts!

They should have played with a "Yorkshire Dartboard" and they'd have saved themselves the problem of pronouncing "treble".

John T
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for "El Hind" later called "Jal-Azad" then "State of Bombay" DouglasReid Ship Research 7 18th December 2018 20:42
side motor trawler " Boston Comanche " ex " Saint Louis " Pierre Fishing Vessels 7 3rd May 2012 10:13
"Cosco Hong Kong" reported in collision with fishing vessel "Zhe Ling Yu Yun 135" Andrew Craig-Bennett News and Views from the Shipping World 1 14th May 2011 18:04
Some history of the "GLEN SANNOX" "KNOOZ" "AL BASMALAH I" Revgd1 Historic Shipping lines and Ships 20 17th January 2010 16:54
Who knows " NANOQ " , formerly named " GROENLAND ", german built stern trawler Pierre Fishing Vessels 3 10th January 2010 00:48



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.