Mike Barnard - Ships Nostalgia
04:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Mike Barnard

User Tag List

Old 15th January 2019, 14:31
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - 2017

Mike Barnard

I note in the 'Daily Telegraph' online that Mike Barnard, who played football for Porstmouth and cricket for Hampshire, has died.

Does anyone know if he was the former games and sports master at Warsash? I can't read the details of the obituary as it is behind a paywall.

If this is him, I express sorrow at the passing of a gentleman, who would help out so much with anything sports related for cadets at the college.

Martyn
Old 15th January 2019, 14:45
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Well he was certainly at Warash but doesn't say as what,later commentator on Radio Solent.

geoff
Old 15th January 2019, 14:49

Thanks for the prompt reply, Geoff.

Mike was, as I said, the Sports Master at the college when I was there during 1976-1979, and would help and encourage any sporting activity requested by the cadets, even if it meant him researching for off-campus venues or facilities.

A true gentleman.

Martyn

Last edited by loco; 15th January 2019 at 14:50.. Reason: Spelling
Old 18th January 2019, 09:47

A man with a great sporting pedigree. I helped him with the rugby team during my time at Warsash. He was an inspiration to many.
He will be sadly missed.

Dave
Old 18th January 2019, 13:42
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - Present

Mike was the Sports Master at Warsash, He was an absolute gentleman in every sense of the word. He also played on the Hampshire Cricket team when they won the County Championship in around 1965. He was also an inside forward for Portsmouth in the old First Division. I had the privilege of playing for his football, Cricket and Rugby teams(when they were short) between 1976 and 1980 and Captained the football team. He also commentated on Cricket for BBC Radio Solent and was known to give complimentary passes to guys like myself to watch cricket at the old County Ground in Southampton. I had a lot of time for Mike and am very sad to hear of his passing.
Old 18th January 2019, 16:24
Super Moderator

There was a minutes applause for him at the last Pompey home game. I remember seeing him play for Pompey, which dates me!

RIP Mike.
Old 19th January 2019, 05:59
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 1973

Agree very sad. Must admit this is the most news I have heard about Pompey for many years. Are they still at Fratton Park?.
Old 19th January 2019, 08:12
Super Moderator

Yes, they are still at Fratton Park.
Old 22nd January 2019, 05:43

Thank you Pompeyfan.
Old 22nd January 2019, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeyfan View Post
Yes, they are still at Fratton Park.
And are making a great comeback after their financial crisis. Great young team with a good manager. Mike would have been proud.
Old 30th January 2019, 19:25

Winmar;
we must have been at Warsash at similar times; I was cricket vice-captain summer 1979, and football captain Autumn 1979. Mike was kind enough to grant me College Colours for both teams.

I also played football whilst on Induction (Jan 1976) and Phase 1 (Jan 1978), and a couple of rugby games if they were short-noticeably against the Southampton College marine engineers!

Martyn
Old 31st January 2019, 01:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
Winmar;
we must have been at Warsash at similar times; I was cricket vice-captain summer 1979, and football captain Autumn 1979. Mike was kind enough to grant me College Colours for both teams.

I also played football whilst on Induction (Jan 1976) and Phase 1 (Jan 1978), and a couple of rugby games if they were short-noticeably against the Southampton College marine engineers!

Martyn
Hi Martyn, I a away at the moment with work will pm you when I get home as I think I know who you are.
I played in the infamous battle of Hook Park against the Marine Engineers in January 1980. It was in horrendous weather conditions, snow, wind and sleet. Derek Prout, PE teacher at Southampton College of Knowledge and former England international refereed the game. Our football match had been called off and I was nursing the mother of all hangovers from Saturday night when Mike's son John banged on my door. He said something of the order of Dad said you would be up for Rugby as we only have 11 Players. I used to turn my brain off on Friday nights so I went. God it was a war. I played at Fly half. It was around 5 minutes to play and 0-0 when we got a penalty 25 yards out almost dead centre. I had watched all sorts of so called "Good Players" miss all sorts of P*ss easy kicks all day so I grabbed the ball and placed it with my mate prostrate with a finger on the top. No exaggeration but there was at least a 40knot wind right a cross the pitch and I realised why everyone was missing kicks. I aimed about 10 yards wide of the posts and hit and hoped. It went through the middle and we won 3-0. The prize, hair of the dog, watering can full of free beer! Happy days Martyn.
Old 31st January 2019, 05:56
Active: 1959 - 1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeyfan View Post
There was a minutes applause for him at the last Pompey home game. I remember seeing him play for Pompey, which dates me!

RIP Mike.
Ah Pompey! Good memories, you are probably too young to remember Jack Froggart, Dougie Reid, Jimmy Dickinson and Jimmy Scoular David but them were the days. My uncles used to come over from the Island, meet me at the rail pier and take me to Fratton Park. We Gosport kids used to spell the name backwards
Old 31st January 2019, 08:30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauvaka View Post
Ah Pompey! Good memories, you are probably too young to remember Jack Froggart, Dougie Reid, Jimmy Dickinson and Jimmy Scoular David but them were the days. My uncles used to come over from the Island, meet me at the rail pier and take me to Fratton Park. We Gosport kids used to spell the name backwards
No, I am not too young to remember those players. Dougie Reid could kick the ball like a bullet, often broke the net. The ball was very hard in those days. When taking a penalty it did not matter if he hit the goalkeeper because both ended up in the back of the net!. I too came over from the island going to the ground on Byngs coaches!.
Old 31st January 2019, 12:25

As a Fareham lad I remember those names. Jack Froggat ended up with a Pub in Portsmouth and had a brother Redfern,also a footballer.
Remember snippets of a song we used to sing..........
Reid passed to Froggat,
Froggat passed it back,
Reid took a flying Kick
and knocked the Goalie flat.
Jimmy Dickinson must have a record for years playing in the top level.
I played for a while at Gosport & Fareham Rugby Club, not very well though.
Old 31st January 2019, 17:50
Super Moderator

Jlmmy Dickinson was a player from 1943 to 1965 staying with the club in various roles including manger(a job he never wanted). After the war he played 48 times for England and 764 games for Pompey. He was never booked or spoken to by the referee. His record of service stretched from 1946 when league football resumed until his death in 1982.

I first saw him in the early 50s when I was nine. Pompey played Bolton Wanderers who included Nat Lofthouse, very famous at the time. They also had a player called Harold Hassle. I kept shouting his name, but not sounding the H

Not that anybody heard, there was about 50,000 there. I was instantly hooked, with the Pompey Chimes in full stereo sound from all around the ground, the wonderful days before crowd segregation.