Royal Mail - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
04:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Royal Mail

User Tag List

Old 16th August 2012, 17:01

That's right Jack. Geoff's dad was not only a director of Grants whisky but he was also the Provost (Mayor) of Dufftown. I heard from Geoff some years after he left RML when he was Assistant Purser on Southern Cross.
Old 24th August 2012, 18:29

Have just been picking my brain-wish I'd kept a diary(log!). Cutsplice remembers C/O Brown from Dublin, that's Peter R brown. I too remember him, I sailed with him when he was 2/O on an 'E' boat and he was indeed a great guy and his fluency in Spanish was down to a bit of Chilean blood in him. We had some good runs ashore in Callao and Valpo!! Post '65 became interesting for me due to the integration into Furness ship Management. I sailed on 'Somers Isle' with Capt Jock Gordon(PSNC) - daddy's yacht that was! Then Captain Dennis Taylor(Prince line) was let loose on a 'Y' boat. He used to go ashore in a pin stripe suit, bowler hat and a rolled brolly!! Then followed a year on 'Black Prince' (Capt Ken Slapp) a good table tennis player. I was one of the few RML types aboard and it was my privilidge to introduce the Medi boys to the joys of the West coast of South America in all its glory - quite interesting times especially as they weren't used to going West just nipping into the Med for a few weeks or so!! Happy days.
Evil
Old 25th August 2012, 21:24
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 2011

My location
Greetings,
Yes Royal Mail was a great company and taught me a lot. I still don't understand why it does not have its own section among the other shipping lines listed in the forum.
My first ship was the Pampas, joined as a very green cadet in 62. Captains Dalgleish, Rutter, Chaterley and Dickenson. Chief mates Loyd and Milner had to suffer my inexpreience. Joined the Loch Avon in 63, Captains Barff, Avison and Anderson. Chief mates Fenner and Box. Joined the Thessaly also in 63, Captains Anderson, Swallow, Whightman and Chester. Chief mates were Perkins, Milner, Brocklebank and Cambell. Joined the Drina in 64. Captain Gibbons and Chief Mate Earl. Another quick coastal on the Loch Avon before submitting myself to the DoT for my 2nd mates. Joined the Essequibo as 3/O under captains Anderson and Williams. Chief mates were Brown,Hobbs and Hunter.
Great times but sadly the memories are fading!
Malcolm
Old 26th August 2012, 18:51

Hi Royal Mailers, I sailed on the Pampas, Potaro, and Loch Loyal. I remember very well Captain Meldrum. A.K.A Aunty Meldrum ???
Old 1st February 2014, 14:09
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm S View Post
Greetings,
Yes Royal Mail was a great company and taught me a lot. I still don't understand why it does not have its own section among the other shipping lines listed in the forum.
My first ship was the Pampas, joined as a very green cadet in 62. Captains Dalgleish, Rutter, Chaterley and Dickenson. Chief mates Loyd and Milner had to suffer my inexpreience. Joined the Loch Avon in 63, Captains Barff, Avison and Anderson. Chief mates Fenner and Box. Joined the Thessaly also in 63, Captains Anderson, Swallow, Whightman and Chester. Chief mates were Perkins, Milner, Brocklebank and Cambell. Joined the Drina in 64. Captain Gibbons and Chief Mate Earl. Another quick coastal on the Loch Avon before submitting myself to the DoT for my 2nd mates. Joined the Essequibo as 3/O under captains Anderson and Williams. Chief mates were Brown,Hobbs and Hunter.
Great times but sadly the memories are fading!
Malcolm
The mate at the time you where in Essequibo what year would that have been would it by any chance have been Peter Brown tall fair hair if I remember rightly best regards .
Old 1st February 2014, 20:42

Sailed on the Loch Avon around the land and on the Picardy as a.b.on both in the 50s/
Old 13th February 2014, 19:00
Active: 1962 - 2011

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by DURANGO View Post
The mate at the time you where in Essequibo what year would that have been would it by any chance have been Peter Brown tall fair hair if I remember rightly best regards .
Greetings,
I was 3rd mate on the "Squib" 1966 / 67.
I think his name was Peter, tall yes fair hair? I cant remember. He was relieved by Max Hobbs - a brilliant man and I often wonder what happened to him. 2nd mates were John Neary, Dave Mortimore and Ryder Smith over the year that I was there.
Over the same period the cadets were Clarke, Roach, Bullock, Humphreys, Grey, Withers, Kay and Shakesby

Malcolm
Old 17th February 2014, 17:37
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm S View Post
Greetings,
I was 3rd mate on the "Squib" 1966 / 67.
I think his name was Peter, tall yes fair hair? I cant remember. He was relieved by Max Hobbs - a brilliant man and I often wonder what happened to him. 2nd mates were John Neary, Dave Mortimore and Ryder Smith over the year that I was there.
Over the same period the cadets were Clarke, Roach, Bullock, Humphreys, Grey, Withers, Kay and Shakesby

Malcolm
. If it was the same Peter Brown he was third mate in the Blue funnel ship Pyrrhus I was A.B. on his watch a perfect gentleman I know he moved from Blue flue and I know he moved on to Royal mail as I was in touch with him via the Blue Funnel association best regards and many thanks for the reply Dave .
Old 6th April 2014, 19:29
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1965

In 78 I was in New Jersey when the Andes came in with Japanese cars. It had been converted by Hoeg and I think Ugland had something to do with it too. The Amazon had been done by them too. T!hey had Scandinavian officers and Philipino crew. Anyone know any more about this?
Old 7th April 2014, 18:37
gadgee gadgee is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
In 78 I was in New Jersey when the Andes came in with Japanese cars. It had been converted by Hoeg and I think Ugland had something to do with it too. The Amazon had been done by them too. T!hey had Scandinavian officers and Philipino crew. Anyone know any more about this?
Think we are talking of the three " A" s here after Shaw Savill got rid?