Bankline in the 50's.... - Page 30 - Ships Nostalgia
16:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bankline in the 50's....

User Tag List

Old 22nd December 2015, 00:03
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
A Merry Xmas to all the old timers - selection of ships I sailed on 1951 to 1961
Merry xmas to you Alan and to all those who plied the seas 1950s onwards,
I see no maple bank,

jim
Old 22nd December 2015, 10:58
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Maplebank

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthehat View Post
Merry xmas to you Alan and to all those who plied the seas 1950s onwards,
I see no maple bank,

jim
Thanks Jim,

Seasons greetings to you and yours...

I put a montage together of some Maplebank snaps on the voyage after you. Don't have a decent image of her loaded, but I do have her in a bottle! See the small snap. The others are self and Jim Haig-apprentice. The 3/0 (name lost) overlooking mount Egmont in New Plymouth, Apprentice John Beale overlooking Lyttleton harbour, and a heavy weather snap in the mighty Tasman. Cheers/Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.2 KB, 117 views)
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:56
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1967

Laganbank: Christmas 1955

Quote:
Here's the menu from the 1956 Xmas dinner on the old M.V. Irisbank. Quite amusing to see Consomme a la Marmite. i.e water and marmite warmed up! Not quite up to ' Ready, Steady, Cook!
Alan: Our respective butlas must have attended the same catering course!

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Laganbank. Christmas Menu 1955.jpg (89.6 KB, 104 views)
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:10
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Thanks Jim,

Seasons greetings to you and yours...

I put a montage together of some Maplebank snaps on the voyage after you. Don't have a decent image of her loaded, but I do have her in a bottle! See the small snap. The others are self and Jim Haig-apprentice. The 3/0 (name lost) overlooking mount Egmont in New Plymouth, Apprentice John Beale overlooking Lyttleton harbour, and a heavy weather snap in the mighty Tasman. Cheers/Alan
I never had a boiler suit,did they issue them after ~I left the Maplebank???
Old 22nd December 2015, 18:56

My location
working gear

2 piece dungarees as per Bank Line standard list of kit!
Old 22nd December 2015, 23:39
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
2 piece dungarees as per Bank Line standard list of kit!
Not for me,I got fitted out at Monerys with a £80 bursary from the school which included a Yankee style short black heavy jacket,
jim
Old 23rd December 2015, 08:16

My location
kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthehat View Post
Not for me,I got fitted out at Monerys with a £80 bursary from the school which included a Yankee style short black heavy jacket,
jim
Ah, Monnerys- 5 Billiter St. Don't know about a bursery, but Woolverstone gave me a letter to deliver to King Edward vii college to collect Nicholl's guides and Nories etc paid for by the school, and I stupidly forgot to collect! Still had the letter years later at sea.
cheers/Al
Old 8th January 2016, 10:11
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1965

Bank line in the 50's and 60s

I am writing on behalf of my Dad, Allen Jones who served in the merchant navy with Bank line between 1955 and 1965 before settling in Melbourne Australia where he met my mum. He was an engineer on the Clyde Bank, Lossie Bank and the Tweed Bank. He has many happy memories of this time in his life and he loves to reminisce. He went all over the world and had many amazing stories that he shared around the family dinner table for years to come. He doesn't use the computer much now but he would love to chat to anyone with similar experiences from this time. He sailed from Liverpool.
Old 8th January 2016, 16:13
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenjones View Post
I am writing on behalf of my Dad, Allen Jones who served in the merchant navy with Bank line between 1955 and 1965 before settling in Melbourne Australia where he met my mum. He was an engineer on the Clyde Bank, Lossie Bank and the Tweed Bank. He has many happy memories of this time in his life and he loves to reminisce. He went all over the world and had many amazing stories that he shared around the family dinner table for years to come. He doesn't use the computer much now but he would love to chat to anyone with similar experiences from this time. He sailed from Liverpool.
the name does bot ring a bell,but I was senior app on the Clydebank from 1/4/55 to 6/8 /56 and we spent most of our time on the south african/far east run,yes they were the good times,
jim
Old 6th February 2017, 12:57

My location
Crossing the line shinnanigans....

Looking through my old snaps, saw this from the Maplebank (white crew) voyage of 1955 showing the Bosun in lifelike get up, and next to him the Chief Steward. This crew went to a lot of trouble, but on some ships it was a very makeshift affair or quite often not recognised at all. On the Hazelbank I was just lashed to the open rails while the 3/0 applied Stockholm tar and soft soap etc...

Are there any interesting stories out there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7935.jpg (26.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 6th February 2017, 16:11
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Looking through my old snaps, saw this from the Maplebank (white crew) voyage of 1955 showing the Bosun in lifelike get up, and next to him the Chief Steward. This crew went to a lot of trouble, but on some ships it was a very makeshift affair or quite often not recognised at all. On the Hazelbank I was just lashed to the open rails while the 3/0 applied Stockholm tar and soft soap etc...

Are there any interesting stories out there?
http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/ch...ml?sort=3&o=26

Xmas day 1952 on http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/...hipscrowd1.jpg

Last edited by jimthehat; 6th February 2017 at 16:19..
Old 6th February 2017, 16:44

My location
Photos

Great pics, Jim. Where are they all now?
Old 7th February 2017, 00:04
ELDER MEMBER

sorry I could not get the photo up on the screen,I use photobucket,but my skills have deserted me.

Photo taken in either Bunbury or Geraldton on xmas day 52,i had only turned 17 so I do not think that there are many left now,

jim
Old 27th July 2017, 13:05

“You’ll be made most welcome....”

In ’56, when the Laganbank berthed at Williamstown on the Yarra to discharge bulk sulphur, I received a request from home to visit an emigrant female relative based in Melbourne. In those days a phone number was rarely given out, you just showed up. I can’t recall the suburb only that it took a train ride to get there.

It was dark in a poorly lit neighbourhood by the time I got there. I had an awkward time trying to convince a suspicious and fairly deaf elderly lady, unseen in the gloom through a screen door, that I was the great grandson of her McKenzie relative from Applecross in Wester Ross. Eventually, she relented and invited me in, explaining that her caution was due to the fact her locality was troubled by the hostility between rival gangs of Greeks and Italians.
What? Surely not!

Keith
Old 28th July 2017, 10:10

Hi Keith, I liked your story. I had a few good times in Melbourne. During my first trip to sea on the Southbank we arrived on the 13th February 1952, my 17th birthday. Not wanting to proclaim to others how wet I was behind the ears, I didn’t mention this fact. It was a cold, windy night so I had the pleasure of being on ‘night aboard’ duties putting out extra moorings! Future birthdays were fully celebrated!
Did you ever live in Applecross? Through my father, who was a Weirs’ marine superintendent, I used to go with my family to stay with ‘Willy’ Murchison (another ‘super’ with whom my Dad worked with in Weirs Basra dates exports in the 1940s) in Loch Carron, over the hill (2000ft +!) for summer holidays in the 1940/50s. In 1979 while camping with my family in Applecross, we accidentally met Willy’s brother Roddie (another Bank Line master) & Dolly Murchison in the road. I hadn’t seen Dolly since 1944 in Durban, Natal so how’s that for a coincidence?
These Bank Line folk do get around, don’t they?
Old 28th July 2017, 12:08

Oscillating Fans

Finest thing since sliced bread when new, but why did they always squeak when changing direction when getting older, or is that a thing about getting older?
Later on it was the Thermotank blower which puffed air straight from the gates of hell!
Cliff (dredging the memory banks)
Old 28th July 2017, 16:32

Applecross

Reply to Post #740

An interesting post, Roger, which includes an impressive coincidence!
I knew of my Gaelic-speaking great grandparents through my mother – Alexander McKenzie married Catherine Livingstone in 1872 at Applecross before moving to Aberdeen, via Glasgow, ca1881.

Some years ago I visited isolated Applecross, accessible only by boat until early 20th century, driving up from the south when I lived in Essex. You may recall that access was over one of Scotland's most notoriously treacherous roads, the Bealach na Ba which crosses the peninsula and reaches a height of 2053 ft. It was a worthwhile journey for the beautiful scenery alone.

Attached is a postcard photo of the Southbank, bought in 1955, which you may have missed first time around.

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bealach na Ba.JPG (117.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg MV Southbank. Houghly River, Calcutta.jpg (109.0 KB, 90 views)
Old 29th July 2017, 17:18

My location
Southbank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdonian View Post
Reply to Post #740

An interesting post, Roger, which includes an impressive coincidence!
I knew of my Gaelic-speaking great grandparents through my mother – Alexander McKenzie married Catherine Livingstone in 1872 at Applecross before moving to Aberdeen, via Glasgow, ca1881.

Some years ago I visited isolated Applecross, accessible only by boat until early 20th century, driving up from the south when I lived in Essex. You may recall that access was over one of Scotland's most notoriously treacherous roads, the Bealach na Ba which crosses the peninsula and reaches a height of 2053 ft. It was a worthwhile journey for the beautiful scenery alone.

Attached is a postcard photo of the Southbank, bought in 1955, which you may have missed first time around.

Keith
Hi Keith

Great old snap - thanks for posting.

You may have seen all of the Southbank ones I have, but here is the sad one of her breaking up at Washington Island, some 9 years after your postcard one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9706.jpg (90.4 KB, 69 views)
Old 31st July 2017, 15:49

It is sad to see such destruction of a fine ship.

Attached is an aerial photo of the Laganbank, on her maiden voyage taken in Nov ’55. She had left Belfast the previous month, going north about through the Pentland Firth to load at Bremerhaven. Skyfotos, operating out of Lympne Airport shot her heading towards Bombay via Suez. (Fellow apprentice Alistair Macnab and self nowhere to be seen.)

Alan, I have just begun reading your latest book, “Merchant Navy Apprentice 1951 – 1955” (Kindle £2.42) and am impressed by your recall for detail – it invokes many a memory of those days gone by.

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MV Laganbank. Nov 1955.jpg (232.1 KB, 96 views)
Old 1st August 2017, 08:34

My location
50's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdonian View Post
It is sad to see such destruction of a fine ship.

Attached is an aerial photo of the Laganbank, on her maiden voyage taken in Nov ’55. She had left Belfast the previous month, going north about through the Pentland Firth to load at Bremerhaven. Skyfotos, operating out of Lympne Airport shot her heading towards Bombay via Suez. (Fellow apprentice Alistair Macnab and self nowhere to be seen.)

Alan, I have just begun reading your latest book, “Merchant Navy Apprentice 1951 – 1955” (Kindle £2.42) and am impressed by your recall for detail – it invokes many a memory of those days gone by.

Keith
Great photo of the Laganbank. Love the red boot topping. Thanks for posting.

Hope you enjoy the epistle, Keith. Cheaper than a copy of the present shipping magazines on the shelf! What seems to happen with recall is that things jump back in the memory when thinking or writing about those days.

"Shipping Today and Yesterday " mag are running a piece on a 1953 memorable voyage on the old " Ernebank" . It will be in the October issue, they say.

All the Best/Alan
Old 9th September 2017, 23:52

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenjones View Post
Alan Jones does he come from Birkenhead and served his apprenticeship at Grayson Rollo and Clovers. He joined Lossiebank in 1956 ?
Ken Dag
Old 10th November 2017, 04:47

My location
There is a great footage taken on board Minchbank 1971 during one of her long voyages on youtube. Just put in Minchbank.
Old 12th December 2017, 12:04

My location
Bromboro Days.....

Quote:
Wood decks, open rails, serene quiet progress across the oceans...
stifling heat in the cabins, lucky to have an oscillating fan, or a wind cowel to stick out of the port
steam winches, cracking and banging, draining and jerking
heat your own water, with a steam line in the bath
then there was the wire sounding line! ( only used it once)
followed by an ultra modern wet paper echo sounder - OK if the paper was wet...
D/F - the less said the better

Would put it all to poetry if I had time, but too busy 60 years on...
Cheers/AL
Here’s a little poem that captures the mood for me when joining in Bromboro Dock in mid winter during the 1950’s.....

It doesn't seem so long ago,
winches - hissing and clanking in the snow,
A lovely smell of oil with steam,
and Copra resting on the beams.

Hoses, cables, boards, and battens,
lie around in a random fashion,
There was nothing quite like a Bank Line ship,
home at last, from a two year trip.

See the cabins, mostly white,
narrow bunks with quilts tucked tight,
Soon, the tea, thick and treacly,
brought by stewards, ever so meekly.

An alien world, it should be known,
but some of us, we called it home!

AAR
Old 13th March 2018, 10:16

My location
Pure nostalgia!

Bank Line trip 1950’s. (Amended version)

It doesn’t seem so long ago,
Ship’s winches chugging madly in the snow,
Tangled cables, boards, and an old hatch batten,
lie around in a random fashion.

Its a winters morn in Bromboro dock,
Safe behind the entrance lock.
This then was a Bank Line ship,
For joining on another trip.

Memories of island life come flooding back
And thoughts of copra brought by sack
The lazy life of sun and sand
And music from a native band

Coconut oil warm and rich,
Piped ashore without a hitch
And soon the copra too is gone.
Sweeping up won’t take too long.

Then the cabins all in white,
And quilts of blue, tucked up tight,
A feeling that the trip to come
might be special,might be fun.

Its an honour to be aboard
Silent thanks up to the Lord
this magic scene’s not there for all
But fate decided who to call.

AAR
Old 16th March 2018, 12:30

Three cheers for Andrew Weir, whose creation brightened all our lives.