Scammers getting better - Ships Nostalgia
16:09

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Scammers getting better

User Tag List

Old 4th October 2019, 22:14
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1964

Scammers getting better

I have an internet domain which I only use for a few email addresses such as family, informal, formal, business.
I recently received a very convincing email purporting to be from my domain provider. It had the domain provider logo and the English spelling and grammar were correct. It said that there was a problem with my payment and invited me to click on a block to enter my account with the domain provider.
The only clue that it wasn't authentic was that it made no reference to me by name or account. I was very lucky to have noted this but, even when I checked the message header, it too was innocuous; just the USA and Germany.
I contacted my domain provider and it rapidly became clear that this was a phishing scam email.
Reason for posting this? Just to remind us that those people are becoming much cleverer.
Personally, I'd reintroduce crucifixion.
Old 4th October 2019, 23:22

Every time the phone rings i am suspicious, these people are constantly trying to rip us off. I had one a few days ago, and it was very clever questioning and trying to gauge my age, she was supposed to be selling medication, at the end of the session she said if i would agree for a rep to call, there would be a free gift for me. When i told her there was only one thing free in this world, and that was cheese on a mousetrap, at that point she gave up
Old 5th October 2019, 03:41

Constantly getting calls purporting to be from The National Broadband Corporation telling me that my broadband will be switched off if I don't answer their questions. The thing is, I haven't connected to broadband yet. I'm not telling them anything, so I hang up right away. Someone commented somewhere that the calls are coming from overseas, and seem to be the same countries that host call centres and help lines, and people working there have all your confidential details. Worrying thought.
Old 5th October 2019, 04:01
Department: Navigation
Active: 1958 - 2002

Hi Norm,
Yes, I can relate to your experience. These calls from "National Broadband" threatening to cut off internet unless I respond are sometimes received 3 or 4 times each weekday & come from various "numbers" originally from Tas/Vic but lately from NSW/Qld. As soon as they call I hang up without speaking.
Peter
Old 5th October 2019, 05:19

I was attempted blackmailed once, in the guise of being "fined" for ostensibly watching forbidden content on the net, by people who claimed themselves to be the Norwegian police. The thing that made it hard to believe in this claim was that my "fine" was to be paid into a Polish account. But the graphics of their letter really was impressive. Good photograph of our main police headquarters, correct grammar, nice layout - and the topping on it all, an advert for the Norwegian Cooperative food chain.

Last edited by stein; 5th October 2019 at 05:28..
Old 5th October 2019, 06:57

Any Pirate Bay user well knows your "Norwegian style" scam taking over your pc laptop etc with a warning and phone number to call and release you after paying a fine..
Solution.. Ctr-Alt-Del and into Task Manager then delete the offending pest.
I've even tempted providence with email scams to test my long-term excellent av protection by Webroot and it blocks the scammer each and every time.

Last edited by R651400; 5th October 2019 at 07:00.. Reason: AMD
Old 5th October 2019, 07:07

Thanks, I will write that down in case it will happen again.
Old 5th October 2019, 18:25
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
I had a call a few days ago to inform me that my Visa card had been used for unusual payments and to press #1 for more information.
I did and after a short wait a person with a very Indian accent asked me for the last four digits of my card.
I refused to give them and asked why did they need them if it was them that called me.
Waffled on and in the end I told them not to calla again as I did not have a Visa card!!
Rather abrupt ending to call.
Old 5th October 2019, 23:27
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1953 - 2010

In these days of digital it must surely be an easy matter for national telecoms to block the numbers related to such calls from entering the network. Why is this not done?
Old 5th October 2019, 23:39

Scams are not anything new and there are a few things you can do to avoid them. I never answer the phone, mobile or landline, if I do not recognise the number. Let it go through to the answering or message service. Funny how the spammers never leave a message! Same with the ‘one ring’ call, ignore it! Any email that does not address you personally or encourages you to click on a link, is to be avoided. If you feel that there may be something in such a message, only enter the real site that the ‘message’ claims to be from.
I’m no IT geek, but works for me. Every time.
Old 6th October 2019, 06:05

Normally I use the answering machine to monitor my calls and only pick up if I know who it is. But one time I answered because I was expecting a call and it turned out to be a gentleman with an Indian accent, saying he was outside the house and I was to be arrested for outstanding tax unless I paid money into an account straight away. I replied that he should ring the doorbell and come in for a cup of tea. He hung up.
I used to get a Chinese language message which for what I understand was alleged to be from the Immigration dept demanding money for overstaying a visa, It was reported that they made lots of money from this scam from scared Chinese victims.
Old 6th October 2019, 09:32

Recently I have received a number of scam calls for different reasons. My caller ID sometimes lists an incoming number & sometimes "anonymous". If I try to re-call the incoming number it invariably results in a busy signal although once I re-called an incoming number & the person at the other end seemed surprised & denied calling me. The "anonymous" calls can't be called back. These calls come at any time during a week day but mostly around 5-6pm
Old 6th October 2019, 09:47

Not good practice to try to recall these numbers, they can hook you up to a premium line, that can cost hundreds if you use the phone
Old 6th October 2019, 09:52

Gee, Thanks for your message gypcoll. I wasn't aware of that so will not re-call again
Old 6th October 2019, 12:54

A new twist. I had a call telling me that I was listed in the Telephone Preference Service. (this is supposed to put you on a "do not call list" for telephone marketing). After some jockeying the caller then started to ask for more information. The phone went down.

The clever thing about that is that the call starts with you both being on the same side, no threats, both of us trying to stop this nuisance.

Some scammers are so bad you wonder they catch anyone. "Herro, dis Macrosaft"
Old 6th October 2019, 14:27

Yes, be careful of the "dial 1" call back, normally a premium rate call and they will keep you talking for as long as possible.
Had a few calls lately with recorded message asking to call back to talk to a case handler
Reasons
To stop a court summons
To stop an arrest warrant
My Amazon Prime account details need to be confirmed

These could worry a lot of people into pressing 1

I've programmed my phone to have a ring tone for all numbers in my directory and another for all other calls which I don't answer, if its important they will leave a message.

Last edited by Bob S; 6th October 2019 at 14:30..
Old 6th October 2019, 20:47

A call blocker from BT works for me.The caller has to press the # key just like an answer phone so you have a choice to answer,block the number or let it go to the answer machine.You need caller display for this service if nobody presses the # key the phone doesn’t ring then check who called me on the laptop.Family and numbers you know can be set up to ring straight through.
Old 11th October 2019, 01:02
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1969

I have a radio next to the phone. When the scammer calls I say "I'm sorry, I have another caller, I'm going to put you on hold for a short time". Turn the radio on, put the phone next to the radio and walk away. Only once have I come back after a long "short time" to find the scammer still there......

Last edited by majoco; 11th October 2019 at 01:07..
Old 11th October 2019, 02:21
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1966

Mouse over the link will always reveal the address to which it is pointing.
Old 11th October 2019, 08:46
Active: 1964 - 1974

I have recently received a couple of emails (remained unopened) headed that the sender had my password to different sites. Quoting the password. I deleted and thought nothing further, until this morning when I received an email from Google advising that an attempt had been made to access my Google account and instructed me to immediately change my password. The scary thing was the attempt had been made from a server in Berlin. I'm in Tasmania.
Is anything safe anymore.
Old 18th October 2019, 01:21

R/O to 3/0

Can anyone explain the procedure which enabled R/O,s to sit second mates certificates after the closure of coast stations around about 1992?
Old 18th October 2019, 20:09
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1963 - 1995

I am weary of answering the phone to find a recording telling me my BT broadband is about to be shut down. I have come to realise that if you wait before answering you will be down the list of numbers dialled simultaneously, someone will have answered before you and so the line will be closed. You need caller display for that though to.

Going back to Basil in #1 …….. I think we should bring back the Daleks.

David
+
Old 18th October 2019, 20:36
Active: 1962 - 1964

This was a convincing scam:
https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/new...n-centre-scam/

“Pas de carte, pas d'argent, monsieur.” 😊
Old 18th October 2019, 21:33
Department: Electrician
Active: 1972 - 1989

Scam Phone Calls

I have bought Panasonic phones which screen calls . Only allow calls from your "phone book" to connect without pressing a number to continue. Blocks automated calls , as they cannot do this .Not cheap , but worth it .
Old 18th October 2019, 22:28
Department: Electrician
Active: 1970 - 1980

The latest one I've had is from the 'DVLA' telling me I have over paid my on my road tax.
It gives a clicky link to follow.
Will they never stop trying.
Roger.