Gravesend sea school - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
02:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Gravesend sea school

User Tag List

Old 31st March 2006, 20:26
Phill Phill is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1975 - 1989

My location
I came across this plaque on the promenade at Gravesend, with no trace of this original building, but the newer building has been occupied by the Met Police public order department for at least 2 years?????????

Phill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006_03291work0059_resize.JPG (213.9 KB, 231 views)
Old 1st April 2006, 18:01
Phill Phill is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1975 - 1989

My location
Now I wasnít sure where to stick this one, I visited Gravesend this week, well worth a visit with a camera, I know that members have mentioned the Gravesend Sea School, but has anybody ever visited Tomís Barbers by the recently refurbished pier,
Tom has been a barber here for 42 years, and over these years he has amassed hundreds of photos of local shipping with many framed and hanging on the shop walls, also some Models, this is a piece of nostalgia in itself,
If you ask nicely he will even bring out the albums, echoing the changes over the many years he has been there,

Phill....................also posted in Maritime interests
Old 29th April 2006, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1963
Timo,

I was in X class 8th September 1980 to 12th December 1980. As you would of been walking in the place, I was on the way out to the train station. I would of been one of those shouting the saying "Peanuts your never going home" which was part of the banter at the time. By the time they were cutting your hair off, I would be at home.

"One more wakey wakey. One more rise and shine. One more bowl of frosties and freedom will be mine" (sung to the tune of Rule Brittania)

The term "Peanut" I was told derived back in the early days of the the school when a peanut seller used to sell his wares along the road down to the sea school, shouting "Peanuts" for sale. The name was then adopted by the inmates.
Billy. I was there around the same time. I left Dec 19th 1980.
I went back recently to have a look, it's still the same, but it just looks smaller than i remember. Thinking back now, and rowing that flippin boat on the Thames, and having to sit outside the "Lobster Pot" freezing to death whilst McGoran was inside having a pint.
But i will never forget the times i had there, i met some good people too.
Old 29th April 2006, 10:28

'X' Class appears to be popular to this thread? I was there Nov'76 - Feb'77 also in 'X' class. Had a great time with some good mates. Had a few laughs at those who got homesick & had to leave too.........Especially the ones who lived in those faraway places from Gravesend like Purfleet & Margate. Did we get our photo's taken on leaving? If so has anyone got a shot from those days? How many of us have turned out like old McGorran? Ha!!
Old 5th May 2006, 08:48

My location
post # 30

I went to Gravesend, it must have been Nov / Dec 61. Don,t remember peanuts but do remember not doing any laundry during 1st week when no one was allowed to go ashore.
At 1st shore leave parade I like many others were told to fall out and return to the dorm and consider doing a bit of laundry before next shore leave parade.
My intake was on the top level which was one big dormitory with bunks and a very long way from the toilets on a cold night. The cubicles were in the levels below.
The showers,toilets and laundry if I remember correctly could only be accessed from outside our building and were drafty, cold and drab concrete.
I doubt if any of the instructors are still living so it is probably safe to mention some of their oddities.
I was a catering trainee, we had one very old snowy haired instructor who must have been beyond retirement age, he did everything wearing white cloves (plus all the other
items of normal uniform attire). Each day he would inform us that he had once carved roast beef for the Queen and he had to wear the white cloves to do it, at the time we all must have assumed he meant QE2, it could have been her mother.
Another old deck instructor welcomed us to his course with the comment that "you young Bxxxxxds are'nt seamen, you are just commercial travellers" and I think it might have been the same instructor who had a glass eye, if he caught you mucking up he would get in your face, pop out his glass eye and between his two fingers place it on your shoulder and remind you that he had his eye on you.
During the 2nd last week everyone suffered the VD course which was mainly based on fear, things like umberella scrappings, needing a wheelbarrow to carry you nuts arround and splintered glass sensations, the final advice was weather or not you might still want to approach anyone loitering close to the gates.
After the 1st week of loafing around I then settled down to it and made Captains Steward for the final week.
The training was very useful for the jobs ahead and I do still have the group photo somewhere packed away, I'll look for it one day as I'm sure i have on it the name of each person in the group.
After leaving Gravesend I never sighted one of the Strath Liners again, fortunately I had been able to get on board Strathmore at Tilbury.

Last edited by aleddy; 26th August 2006 at 07:00.. Reason: To insert 2 photographs
Old 27th June 2006, 20:35

To Peter Lewis

Peter

I was at Gravesend in 1975, did one trip and then left to become one of those b*****ds (your words). I have met good and bad in all walks of life including at sea. Don't tar everyone with the same brush ( a seamanlike phrase I think!).
Old 27th June 2006, 20:45
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome Reynard to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.
Old 16th July 2006, 04:46

I was there in Aug 1980! Level level sticks in my memory, he used to be the chef I think?! used to stand behind us watching how much we were serving in the laddles and say level level if we were trying to dish to much up!
Old 16th July 2006, 16:53

Was at Graves End 1949,anyone remember Sweeney Todd??
Old 17th October 2006, 18:42

I was there on January 1975 for 14 weeks, I remember at nights helping the woman at the flying angle clean up and we used to get all the chips & beans that were left. it was great when someone in your dorm got a food parcel sent down we used to share it, (if you did not share it people stole it.
) if anyone has a phot of ant classes from 1975 please post them
Regards
Eric Cardno
Old 23rd October 2006, 22:51
Active: 1960 - 2004

glad I went to sea for 44 years and not stuck in a tin shed for my working life,we didnt know how lucky we were .Seeing all those fabulous places for free and getting paid for it.Happy days!!!
Old 25th October 2006, 00:43

Hi
I was there from Feb - May 1986, training as a JCR for Townsend Thoresen.
Anyone remember Titcomb, Rashbrook, Torrens, Little & McGorren who were all instructors when I was there. There were others, but I don't remember their names. Perhaps some of you can jog my memories. Little was the chef with the hearing aid, & McGorren was the Lifeboat course instructor.
On a sadder note, I read in the NUMAST Telegraph of the passing away of Captain Hunter, who was in overall charge of the school during my time there. He used to take some of as sailing during the weekends.
Regards
Karl
Old 25th October 2006, 12:19

I was there in 1981/82. I recall the cold when rowing on the river and the school issue donkey jacket didnt help. I think it was Z class and some of the class names were David Snelgrove, Adrian Wakefield, Mat Hatton and Donald Gillies who was from the Isle of Barra and could never get home. The food was always terrible and food parcels were a god send. I remember level level and him constantly standing around in case you gave out to much food. Anyone recall the Bosuns name or the instructor for ERF. I think it was something like Higham.
Old 29th October 2006, 15:16

Was there briefly for Lifeboat ticket in the late 80's. Capt Hunter was there and later moved to GCNS and as stated passed away recently.

I think the Mate ( and chief examiner ) at the time was called Sellers.

Our lecturers were Don Gillette and Alan Bassett who was also the bar manager. Two good guys who were genuinely interseted in young folk coming through and learning something.

The Ship & Lobster was the pub on the river bank we used to go to, still there when I passed a few weeks ago.
Old 30th October 2006, 00:15

Hi
If this place has close down and being used to train the Police, why are they still adverting courses for sea survival training, etc, in the NUMAST (sorry, Nautilus) paper, the Telegraph.
Regards
Karl
Old 30th October 2006, 08:55

The pier with the 2 Lifeboats and a Fast Rescue Boat up on davits is still there so I assume there is still a small scale operation running CPSC courses and maybe EDH and Firefighting, but the main task of the college, i.e. turning out classes of kids trained to go to sea is no more because tragically we dont need them.
Old 30th October 2006, 19:56

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Hi
If this place has close down and being used to train the Police, why are they still adverting courses for sea survival training, etc, in the NUMAST (sorry, Nautilus) paper, the Telegraph.
Regards
Karl
I was there doing a fast rescue craft ticket a few years ago,the sea school now is actually the old flying angel,all the old models were in there,I was originally there 1981-82...T class,ist trip was the falklands war
Old 31st October 2006, 15:27

My location
Hi dnobmal

I was at Gravesend in May to August 61 (no trouble with cold weather) you got the coloured thing right Blue for Catering and Red for Deck and when I was there it was 10 weeks for Deck and only 6 weeks for catering. No doors on the Toilets that was a shock. COCOA twice a day just to help the hormones. Deck hands on top deck catering on (B & C) and the only way catering got up to Deck by was invitation. All back in by 22.00 hrs unless you got your Proficiency Badge and then you got an extra half an hour in those days at the near end of 10 weeks it was worth working for anything to get out, but yours truly lost it the first night was it worth it YES looking back they all become good memories By the way the Skip was. by my Dis Book A M.M.Miller I Think that's how I have deciphered it. Any body confirm
Old 2nd November 2006, 19:49

The old flying angel is still used as a part of the sea school and also the davits on the Thames but they are also part of the North Kent College which is in Dering way in Gravesend where they also do Nvq work and other maritime courses, but no residential courses like before.
Sad to hear about Captain Hunter, his wife taught first aid when I was there in 1989.
Also does anyone remember Mr Bolton and his dog and Mr Guilette who was there when the new Sea school opened in 1966, and was still there when I was there.
When I visited the cafe on the prom at Gravesend a couple of years ago, one of the walls in the cafe was covered in all sorts of photos of ships that had visited the Thames, well worth the look if they are still there.
Old 3rd November 2006, 09:11

See my post of 29 Oct.

Now that you mention it I do remember one of the staff had a dog which followed him around.
Old 3rd November 2006, 11:55

My location
I was at Gravesend 26/4/71 to 2/7/71 R 901916. Did catering course but after two trips swapped to deck so all that training on how to serve food, make beds etc out the door. Did make it to the Bamboo room so couldnt have been to bad a student.As far as weekend leave i enroled in Australia and sailed over to school to join so no going home for nice meals for me for 10 weeks!!
Old 24th November 2006, 16:44

Wink Other sea schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
do you have any info on any other sea schools
The Vindicatrix was the T.S. at Sharpness in Gloucester and during its time from 39-66 it put thru 70000 odd boys to sea. If you tap in on google and put the word Vindi up will come it's website. I was there in 55 so I must be an old hand to these sprogs who went to sea in the 80's. Mike. P.S. There was quite alot of rivalry between Gravesend and us, but of course we 'Vindi' boys are the best.
Old 25th November 2006, 18:28

I was at gravesend in 1962 and it was a prison then and yes we did sleep in cells chrisrice
Old 26th November 2006, 16:23

Yes I was there in the Autumn of 78 X class deck...I remember the midnight rumbling of dorm raids taking place ...everyone would arm themselves with those rolled up towels called rat tails and wait for either door to open!....then the night watchman would come scurrying on behind them with his touch ...about 3 mins behind the raiding party.
For morning muster some peanuts would ask to be locked in there locker to avoid the cold...
When we left we got on the train at Gravesend and chucked our No1 uniform out of the window...I kept the jumper and the jeans though..they lasted two trips..
I also recall that when a certain deck instructor nick-named the penguin used to walk across the yard the PA loudspeakers would give out a few"KAERRR KAEER'S" if there wasn't any staff in the duty office.
I have seen its now an ANTI-TERRORIST POLICE TRAINING CENTRE with mock up streets and train carriages .

Last edited by tabnab44; 27th November 2006 at 09:45..
Old 2nd December 2006, 16:36

Hi Tabnab I was there in 78 do you remember the disco's with Paki Pam and various other local girls that used to come.I remember Penguin a small white haired chap they were good times