Save the UNITED STATES - Ships Nostalgia
10:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Save the UNITED STATES

User Tag List

Old 15th October 2013, 13:28

Save the UNITED STATES

Help us to save the UNITED STATES, the fatest liner of the world.
Little summary of the UNITED STATES:
The UNITED STATES was built in 1950 at the shipyards of Newport News for the United States Line. On july 15, 1952, it breks record of the QUEEN MARY and obtain the Blue Riband in the East-West direction. The next week, it obtain the reward in the West-East direction. In 1969, so the ship is at the shipyards of Newport News for icts annual refit, the company decommissioned it. After is laided up few months in the city when it is born, the liner go at Norfolk. In 1973, it is sold at the Federal Administration, but it rest laid up at Norfolk.
In 1992, it is bought by a shipowner (unknow) which wish transform it in cruise ship. It is towed to Sevastopol, where the asbestos is extract of the ship, but it isn't convert in cruise ship. En 1996, it is brought back to Philadelphia in tow. Its lifeboats were scrapped and its propellers were removed. In 2003, the UNITED STATES was bought by the Norwegian Cruise Line which wish convert it in cruise ship. The renovation never takes place and the ship is transfered at Star Cruises en 2009 (the company which send the NORWAY, ex-FRANCE and the OCEANIC, ex-INDEPENDENCE at the breakers). The liner is for sale, but the majority of interested buyers are shipbreaking yard. On february 1, 2009, the association SS UNITED STATES CONSERVANCY bought the ship for renovating it. The renovation has not occurred.

Please, Help Us, Sign and share the petition.
https://www.change.org/petitions/ss-united-states-i-would-like-the-ship-to-be-a-classified-national-treasure

First picture : The UNITED STATES in service.
Second picture : The UNITED STATES laid up at Philadelphia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1595224.jpg (85.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 1593001.jpg (370.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 15th October 2013, 19:38
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1972

The US of A cant help itself financially, so how can it save a ship that would cost millions of dollars in repairs, preservation and upkeep, cant see Mr and Mrs America agreeing to that when everyone is suffering like us here in the UK no matter how sentimental the ship is to maritime buffs
Old 15th October 2013, 19:48
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1985

My location
Anthony. I thought you had to withdraw from organising these things as a result of age?

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showth...ve+the+calypso

Since i signed the Calypso thread in good faith, I've been getting a fair bit of unsolicited email? Is this all entirely legitimate?
Way out across the open seas
I hear them sing .........................
And sometime (I) think in all this world,the saddest thing to be
Old Admirals who feel the wind,and never put to sea "

Al Stewart, "Old Admirals", "Past Present & Future LP"
Old 15th October 2013, 20:21
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Save the United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony L View Post
Help us to save the UNITED STATES, the fatest liner of the world.
Little summary of the UNITED STATES:
The UNITED STATES was built in 1950 at the shipyards of Newport News for the United States Line. On july 15, 1952, it breks record of the QUEEN MARY and obtain the Blue Riband in the East-West direction. The next week, it obtain the reward in the West-East direction. In 1969, so the ship is at the shipyards of Newport News for icts annual refit, the company decommissioned it. After is laided up few months in the city when it is born, the liner go at Norfolk. In 1973, it is sold at the Federal Administration, but it rest laid up at Norfolk.
In 1992, it is bought by a shipowner (unknow) which wish transform it in cruise ship. It is towed to Sevastopol, where the asbestos is extract of the ship, but it isn't convert in cruise ship. En 1996, it is brought back to Philadelphia in tow. Its lifeboats were scrapped and its propellers were removed. In 2003, the UNITED STATES was bought by the Norwegian Cruise Line which wish convert it in cruise ship. The renovation never takes place and the ship is transfered at Star Cruises en 2009 (the company which send the NORWAY, ex-FRANCE and the OCEANIC, ex-INDEPENDENCE at the breakers). The liner is for sale, but the majority of interested buyers are shipbreaking yard. On february 1, 2009, the association SS UNITED STATES CONSERVANCY bought the ship for renovating it. The renovation has not occurred.

Please, Help Us, Sign and share the petition.
https://www.change.org/petitions/ss-united-states-i-would-like-the-ship-to-be-a-classified-national-treasure

First picture : The UNITED STATES in service.
Second picture : The UNITED STATES laid up at Philadelphia
She is finished. Let her go. Remember her as she once was if you will. If you want to chuck away millions of dollars then chuck it in the direction of the millions of poverty stricken folk in the world who don't even have a life!
Old 15th October 2013, 21:13
Department: Engineering
Active: 1978 - Present

My location
I concur. It's over. Better a swift & fiery end at the breakers than the slow, lingering death she's going through.
Old 16th October 2013, 00:24
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day goslp sm.today.05:13.#5.re:save united states,re:the ship.i agree with you.but it looks like someone should save the united states.period.they have no access to there finances at the momemt.they can hardly save a ship.thanks for posting,regards ben27
Old 17th October 2013, 07:57

America gives BILLIONS in aid each year, mainly in military aid, and mainly to one little country.

It is only in recent years that this phenomenon of preserving ocean liners has taken hold, and we are slowly realising that it is too darn expensive. The Mary is likely going to be considered for scrapping. Can the QE2 be far behind? COSCO may appear to be her saviour today, but for how long?
Old 12th October 2016, 20:07

I feel sorry for the United States being neglected like the America was in Greece during the 1980s and 90s, I hope she won't be scrapped as that she was a great ship and one of my favourite liners! I don't understand if the Americans saved the Queen Mary then why they haven't saved their own historic ships like the United States or my beloved America?

I say "God bless them and their ships!"
Old 12th October 2016, 20:18
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
A complete waste of money. Send her to the scrap yard.
Every couple of years we get a begging letter on this site.
If it was worth doing them some idiot like Trump would have done it by now.
She was wonderful in her day........................ let her go.

Use the money to help rebuild Syria or some other equally worthy cause.
Old 12th October 2016, 20:25
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
I remember seeing her in Norfolk more than thirty years ago. She looked dog rough then and I thought that was sad. This far down the line, seems like a pointless money pit.
Old 12th October 2016, 22:02
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1970 - 1987

She never paid her way when in service. Massively subsidised, as she was also intended as a fast military transport during the Cold War.
Old 4th January 2019, 01:09
Organisation: Coastguard
Active: 1976 - 1996

Post SS United States

Here is the latest news on this liner. Worth a look!
https://www.wearetheunitedstates.org...ith-RXR-Realty

Regards
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:57

Sink it somewhere
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesdream View Post
Here is the latest news on this liner. Worth a look!
https://www.wearetheunitedstates.org...ith-RXR-Realty

Regards
Good luck in their endeavours, at least they are trying to save something of their heritage. It is immaterial at this stage whether she was a commercial success or not it was a tribute to engineering endeavours 'At the time'.

We have the USA to thank for saving one of our maritime achievements and keeping her memory alive and afloat; it is a pity we could not follow their ideals instead of selling or scrapping our achievements both maritime and airborne.

As for the remark 'sink her' spoken like a true seaman

Seeing a ship sink is a very heartbreaking experience, at sea we considered them part of us, both the good and not so good ones, it is by sailing on the latter you only appreciated the former, but they were all part of us.
Old 24th January 2019, 11:01

a more radical thought I would put forward is;;-- Have they kept the NS Savannah for posterity, or is that just a story and pictures in the book?? Was she in fact part of the US Reserve fleet, or a true merchantman??
I know she had many a clearance problem in many of the worlds shipping ports harbours of the day? So where does the old girl rest now???
Old 24th January 2019, 11:58
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1985

Savannah is in Baltimore. She is deactivated and open to the public on a limited basis. When she came out of the James River reserve fleet in Virginia she passed some very sensitive radiation detectors and they went nuts. I was told this by good authority.
Good looking ship though.
Old 24th January 2019, 12:14

David,

I went on board n/s SAVANNAH some years ago. What a beauty! Spotless throughout the holds etc. The accommodation was a bit shabby... had been neglected. The view of the ER was... a bit shabby too. No good lighting. I was there ins Savannah, but I believe she is now moored in Charleston. I hope she is kept for preservation.

UNITED STATES? Well, I went on board her in Philadelphia about 10 years ago. Stripped, rusty, an empty shell. FANTASTIC!!!! The ship feels 'alive'! I don't like the idea of rebuilding for further sailing. It would just a hull and very little else and after another ten or twenty years and would eventually scrapped. Best option is covert her into a maritime museum, hotel, bar (s) etc. Preservation is the best option and she could go for another two hundred years. Queen Mary now afloat in Long Beach 50 years. Victory... 200 years!!!! USS CONSTITUTION.... HMS WARRIOR,, HMS BELFAST, all excellent museum ships.

Stephen

PS Ah... now in Baltimore. Thanks. Might have been where I saw her... Charleston... not Savannah.

Last edited by Stephen J. Card; 24th January 2019 at 12:16..
Old 27th January 2019, 17:20

The trip to Sevastopol in the 90's was for asbestos removal. The guy who owned it was Karaman Sadikoglu, who also owns (or owned) the Savarona (former yacht of Ataturk). I met him several times and at that point in time he wanted to get it on the Transatlantic trip with Virgin. Being a one way sail and a one way flight. Virgin did not respond. It lay it Tuzla short of an anchor - reason being when she was coming in they dropped the anchor to slow her down and the bitter end went as well. She was stripped of all accommodation/cabin bulkheads. Basically a sad rust bucket. He had all the drawings (or at least masses of boxes) and claimed to have the below water drawings which were previously held secret. He also had a model in his office but cannot recall if the underwater lines were shown or just to the waterline. Indeed sentiment costs money. Why he sold it I have no idea but I hope this fills in a little bit of missing data.
Old 28th January 2019, 12:30
Active: 1954 - 1981

trump is busy doing just that