BP Shipping Centenary April 2015 - Ships Nostalgia
01:40

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BP Shipping Centenary April 2015

User Tag List

Old 27th January 2014, 20:30
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

BP Shipping Centenary April 2015

BP Shipping Centenary, April 30th 2015.

I finally have some news on BPS Shipping centenary.

A good friend of mine and an ex BP Engineer Apprentice, who also happens to be a member of the BPS Pensioner's Team involved in the History Book preparation, has advised me that an Information Sheet, outlining the proposals being considered regarding the Centenary celebration activities, has been posted on the official BP Shipping Website. It being early days in terms of final preparations, much detail remains to be finalised and further information will be posted on the site in due course.

You can have a look at it on: http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarti...tentId=7087201

So dig out the old uniforms, polish up buttons and shoes and get ready. I still have my doeskin reefer jacket, it fits (just), the one ring looks pretty forlorn. My goodness I bought that uniform 57 years ago at Harveys, 73/4 Leadenhall St, London. Pants have long since disappeared, Cap is a little beaten up, mildew on the badge and the white cap cover, disgusting, all a very tight fit.

I never kept any really revolting oily boilersuits, especially liked those cheap ones from George Robey

But I'm ready for action!

Graham
Old 27th January 2014, 23:05
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979

From their website:

"BP Shipping celebrates its Centenary on April 30, 2015.

Find out what we have instore to help mark this auspicious occasion.
BP Shipping - 100 years old on April 30, 2015
To mark this occasion, the company is considering a number of things, including (but not limited to) celebration events, a history book and a short documentary film.

Work on the history book – which will have a keen focus on the ‘social history’ of our ships and the stories of those who sailed on (???) the fleet – has been on-going throughout 2013 and will continue this year. To ensure both historical accuracy and rich content, a team of writers, historians and former BP Shipping employees has been assembled to make sure the book is as compelling as possible. The team has used a variety of channels to try and reach people with interesting stories to tell – the BP archive at Warwick University, the letters we receive through the BP Pensioners Newsletter (wot newsletter???), meetings with the very active Castaways retirees group (Wot Castaways group?), and diaries and journals bequeathed to the company.

The response has been overwhelming and the most difficult challenge now is making informed choices about what can be included in the space available. With 100 years of world events, business changes, important developments and innovations in the fleet, and a plethora of memories, it will not be possible to include everything that is shared with us.

BP Shipping is also planning a celebratory event in 2015 especially for retirees, at which the book will be shared and the documentary screened. We will share more about the date, venue and attendance criteria for this event as those plans develop."

I can confirm that one of the authors of the book (there are several apparently) interviewed me at length in order to generate a paragraph about me. I certainly hope they will make an effort to get loads of ordinary retirees including crew from all over the place to attend whatever it is they have in mind.

N

Last edited by ninabaker; 27th January 2014 at 23:19..
Old 27th January 2014, 23:50

Nina,Nina... BP Pensioners newsletter?, I never thought you retired from BP(you get a pension?), I think only those who did, get. The newsletter that is.

"Castaways group"?, many were castaway, castoff, castigated, lost and some of us emigrated. This particular group started around 1995 by an interested number of 'retirees' living in the London area (North) with meetings twice a year. Travelling would be a wee bit expensive for you!

I thought you had been interviewed for the book?

To tell you the truth I am delighted to hear of this 100 year celebration, I never felt I had really anything to offer for the book. However I did sail BP, and have had a fabulous time these last 15 + years digging up all you 'oldies', so I consider myself part of it.

I want a copy!

My only possible 10 minutes of "fame" were in 1961, 4E on the Light, probably delayed weighing anchor by refusing to acknowledge telegraph 'Stand by Engines", those damn bells, I can still hear them now and the 2E,CE etc,etc. I could be awkward in those days too.

Graham
Old 28th January 2014, 08:49
Department: Navigation
Active: 1969 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninabaker View Post
, the letters we receive through the BP Pensioners Newsletter (wot newsletter???),....
"
N
Hi Nina,
The newsletter for us young pensioners is on the web at
https://pensionline.bp.com/content/pl/

Regards, Mike
<smile>
Old 28th January 2014, 10:18
Active: 1971 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeharrison View Post
Hi Nina,
The newsletter for us young pensioners is on the web at
https://pensionline.bp.com/content/pl/

Regards, Mike
<smile>
Mike thanks for that link, I shall have to spend some time catching up on the old newsletters.

I am a "young" pensioner but I have received the 2 latest newsletters as hard copy since becoming a pensioner at the end of 2012.
Old 28th January 2014, 10:20
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1961 - 1994

My location
Nearer the time how will they choose the selected guests ? If it is for a tea and cake party count me out, if we are into a few wets and a meal then count me in, I need to know in advance as it will cost me a few bucks in Air Fares and Hotel.
OJ
Old 28th January 2014, 10:34
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
My Battledress purchased from Miller-Rayner, Drakes Circus, Plymouth back in 1971 appears to have shrunk slightly - may have to pass on this event now!!
Old 29th January 2014, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
My Battledress purchased from Miller-Rayner, Drakes Circus, Plymouth back in 1971 appears to have shrunk slightly - may have to pass on this event now!!
Must have been made out of the same material as my "Blues", now sadly hanging in the wardrobe despite the efforts of the wife, bought in the same year in South Shields.
Old 30th January 2014, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
Nina,Nina... BP Pensioners newsletter?, I never thought you retired from BP(you get a pension?),
Well I suppose, strictly speaking I didnt retire from BP but I do have a tiny pension. I think I was only the scheme a year or so before transferring to the MNOPF. But even a tiny pension makes me a pensioner, no?

There is a bit over a year to lose about 2 stone if I am going to get back into the uniform skirt as well as jacket. I will need to check the stripes as they are probably not BP stripes any longer but whatever Cable & Wireless specified as that was my final trip.

I really hope that loads of SN folks get to go so we can meet up. And the afterparty in a pub is still on, isnt it?

nina
Old 30th January 2014, 22:38

Smile

Quote:
Well I suppose, strictly speaking I didnt retire from BP but I do have a tiny pension. I think I was only the scheme a year or so before transferring to the MNOPF. But even a tiny pension makes me a pensioner, no?

There is a bit over a year to lose about 2 stone if I am going to get back into the uniform skirt as well as jacket. I will need to check the stripes as they are probably not BP stripes any longer but whatever Cable & Wireless specified as that was my final trip.

I really hope that loads of SN folks get to go so we can meet up. And the afterparty in a pub is still on, isnt it?

nina
Party, Pubs! That is definately up my street and since l will be retired by then l won't even need to take time off to get over it.
Old 31st January 2014, 13:24
Department: Navigation
Active: 1969 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM399 View Post
Mike thanks for that link, I shall have to spend some time catching up on the old newsletters.

I am a "young" pensioner but I have received the 2 latest newsletters as hard copy since becoming a pensioner at the end of 2012.
Hi Dave,
You are very welcome.
As well as some stories about our old ships, that was a very interesting article in the latest one about how to make your own Cider. Hic! <smile>
Regards, Mike
Old 31st January 2014, 16:09
Active: 1968 - 1986

Should anyone have missed them, a couple of pix from the last bash.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg list 3.jpg (432.7 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0005.jpg (307.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 31st January 2014, 17:01
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1961 - 1994

My location
Frighetining!
Must be best picked from ofiices, I dont see a Charachetr in site, who where the Seaman who delivered the cargoes?
I use Seaman to define the officers (Male / Female) who delivered the services, crew European / Indian/ Pakistani who also supported our BTC ships, before accountants took control.
Would love to see todays office wallahs, working in summer temperatures in the Arabian gulf of 100f + with no A/C and no water cooler machines.

Bring together a spattering of some old crews who sailes the Guf in th late 50's till late 60's. They will a big additive to the "get together" for surewill have some redcordable tales to tell over a few beers.
OJ
Old 31st January 2014, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogrumpy View Post
Should anyone have missed them, a couple of pix from the last bash.

Where are you 2G, behind one of those columns?

My jeans and T shirt are not going to down too well there.

I did a lot of work for you guys to get on the last do, would be 'interesting ' to meet a few of you in 2015.

Graham
Old 31st January 2014, 18:40

Yes, I believe everyone had a great time.

2G
Old 31st January 2014, 18:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
Where are you 2G, behind one of those columns?

My jeans and T shirt are not going to down too well there.

I did a lot of work for you guys to get on the last do, would be 'interesting ' to meet a few of you in 2015.

Graham

Second table back in middle column, jacket over back of chair, Mrs G in the blue top, Pat Diamond to her right.

2G
Old 1st February 2014, 00:05

Quote:
Second table back in middle column, jacket over back of chair, Mrs G in the blue top, Pat Diamond to her right.

2G
Wow !, "Front row centre", well very nearly.

Nothing like the other photo I have of you. Pat's been gone a long time now.

Graham
Old 1st February 2014, 17:15

"Pat's been gone a long time now." don't remind me.

What other photo? nothing incriminating I hope.
Old 1st February 2014, 17:26

Quote:
"Pat's been gone a long time now." don't remind me.

What other photo? nothing incriminating I hope.
Warsash 1985 and dark hair etc, in aprevious thread. Nothing incriminating!

Graham
Old 1st February 2014, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Janner View Post
Frighetining!
Must be best picked from ofiices, I dont see a Charachetr in site, who where the Seaman who delivered the cargoes?
I use Seaman to define the officers (Male / Female) who delivered the services, crew European / Indian/ Pakistani who also supported our BTC ships, before accountants took control.
Would love to see todays office wallahs, working in summer temperatures in the Arabian gulf of 100f + with no A/C and no water cooler machine.

Bring together a spattering of some old crews who sailes the Guf in th late 50's till late 60's. They will a big additive to the "get together" for surewill have some redcordable tales to tell over a few beers.
OJ
Its obvious from your comments pal that you have no idea of what a reunion is .If I was lucky enough to get an invite I would be well pleased and if not ,tough s---. BP are a great company that employed a lot of british at one time .The world has moved on but do not blame it on BP . I only joined this site 2 years ago but the pleasure I have gleaned from here cannot be measured ,I wish we had this avenue of contact in the 70s . Brilliant ,the world has evolved,but animosity in humans has not . Accept your life pal . And give credit to the volunteers who service this site .
Old 1st February 2014, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by retfordmackem View Post
Its obvious from your comments pal that you have no idea of what a reunion is .If I was lucky enough to get an invite I would be well pleased and if not ,tough s---. BP are a great company that employed a lot of british at one time .The world has moved on but do not blame it on BP . I only joined this site 2 years ago but the pleasure I have gleaned from here cannot be measured ,I wish we had this avenue of contact in the 70s . Brilliant ,the world has evolved,but animosity in humans has not . Accept your life pal . And give credit to the volunteers who service this site .
Well said.

BP layed on a great bash last time and with no chips on shoulders as far as I saw.

Last edited by twogrumpy; 1st February 2014 at 22:34..
Old 1st February 2014, 20:18
Active: 1965 - 1983

Well said retfordmackem.Would not mind an invite myself.
Old 1st February 2014, 20:31

When I was interviewed for the book, I tried my best to emphasise they should look here for names to add to the invitation list. I see from the pix of the last one that it was a big sit-down dinner at what looks to be the painted hall at Greenwich. I actually hope they dont have a sit down dinner as you dont get to talk to as many as you can at a stand up event. And it would be cheaper to put on so more folk might get invited.
nina
Old 1st February 2014, 23:01

l would love to be invited but would not loose sleep if l wasn't. I had 15 very enjoyabl years at sea with BP and 3 before l joined thr Holly on the 4th July 1971. This website is bringing back some really great memories. I am sure l must have sailed with more than one of the regular "posters"and would love to meet them again, how ever l am a realist and appreciate numbers will be limited.
Old 2nd February 2014, 16:06

Quote:
When I was interviewed for the book, I tried my best to emphasise they should look here for names to add to the invitation list. I see from the pix of the last one that it was a big sit-down dinner at what looks to be the painted hall at Greenwich. I actually hope they dont have a sit down dinner as you dont get to talk to as many as you can at a stand up event. And it would be cheaper to put on so more folk might get invited.
nina
We were also given a private run round the Nelson exhibition that had just opened in the Maritime Museum, and yes it was in the Painted Hall.
I have suggested previously that name badges would be a good idea, many will have changed in appearance over the last ** years.

2G